• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia's to build 600-mile-long 'Great Wall' to keep out ISIS/ISIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
430-1421230259686332861.png
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...audi-Arabias-Great-Wall-to-keep-out-Isil.html
When a raiding party from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant attacked a Saudi border post last week, it was no mere hit on a desert outpost.
The jihadists were launching an assault on the new, highest profile effort by Saudi Arabia to insulate itself from the chaos engulfing its neighbours.
The Saudis are building a 600-mile-long “Great Wall” - a combined fence and ditch - to separates the country from Iraq to the north.

Much of the area on the Iraqi side is now controlled by Isil, which regards the ultimate capture of Saudi Arabia, home to the “Two Holy Mosques” of Mecca and Medina, as a key goal.

The proposal had been discussed since 2006, at the height of the Iraqi civil war, but work began in September last year after Isil’s charge through much of the west and north of the country gave it a substantial land border with the Kingdom to the south.

The border zone now includes five layers of fencing with watch towers, night-vision cameras and radar cameras.
Riyadh also sent an extra 30,000 troops to the area.

It is not the only fence with which Saudi Arabia has chosen to surround itself. Despite the difficulty of access to westerners, the country is relatively open to fellow Muslim nations, particularly during the Haj season when pilgrims from across the world come to Mecca and Medina.

However, that is changing in changing times.
It has also created a physical barrier along parts of the even longer, 1,000-mile border with Yemen to the south.
The attack last week is the sort of incident the Saudis hope to avoid.

All four attackers also died.
I find this interesting for border dynamics... (it will also looks incredibly ugly)

What do you think GAF?

massoluk

Banned
Well, if there is a case to be made for the possibility of oppressive religious fanatics riling up people to overthrowing another oppressive religious fanatics...

Seriously, WTF?

This fence will likely be there long after ISIS is gone, I'm more interested in what repercussions it will have in the aftermath.

Isn't this the same thing the US has done along the border of Mexico or did the movies lie to me?

Fake Edit: Yep, "The border fence" is and actual thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

I guess bringing things back to the topic at hand; Seems par for the course.

It didn't exist, but the reality of the U.S. political situation made it happen.

They were attacked recently on the Iraqi boarders by Sucide attackers wearing explosive underwear killing at least two of the Saudi boarder patrol.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But they could still invade through Kuwait or Jordan?

The northern border of Saudi Arabia and the southern border of Iraq are desolate and bleak. There is essentially no permanent habitation there and the number of nomadic groups limited. In contrast, Kuwait and Jordan are both highly populated and in all honesty Jordan at least is more than a match for ISIS.

They were attacked recently on the Iraqi boarders by Sucide attackers wearing explosive underwear killing at least two of the Saudi boarder patrol.

Saudi Arabia funded rebels and sent weapons to Syria to back rebels to overthrough Assad. Those same Rebels have joined ISIS

Saudi Arabia has a big part of the blame by actually have helped ISIS

Saudi Arabia funded rebels and sent weapons to Syria to back rebels to overthrough Assad. Those same Rebels have joined ISIS

Saudi Arabia has a big part of the blame by actually have helped ISIS

All of them? Isn't it more accurate to say the rebel group splintered with some joining IS and others staying in the original rebel group?

Syria is a three way battle right now of I'm not mistaken. IS, Assad and the rebels who are fighting both.

Dryk

Take that anyone who ever said the Pacific Rim wall was an unrealistic portrayal of global politics

All of them? Isn't it more accurate to say the rebel group splintered with some joining IS and others staying in the original rebel group?

Syria is a three way battle right now of I'm not mistaken. IS, Assad and the rebels who are fighting both.

there are many rebel factions; some factions have joined ISIS. Some of those have received aid from Saudi Arabia and Qatar

Mohonky

I laughed at the irony of a terrorist funding pack of nutjobs erecting a wall to keep out the terrorists nutjobs they funded.

massoluk

Banned
To be fair to the Great Wall, the Mongol rode around the wall the first time it failed, and a traitor opened a gate of the Great Wall for the Manchu the second time it failed.

Dopus

Banned

It's a very delicate situation within the FSA themselves as it's not just one group. There is a lot of infighting.

andycapps

I'm of two minds about this.. I don't like what's going on in Saudi Arabia, but ISIS is even worse. So anything that hurts ISIS is good.

Chariot

I laughed at the irony of a terrorist funding pack of nutjobs erecting a wall to keep out the terrorists nutjobs they funded.
You gotta laugh a lot at the USA then. I don't think there is any major terrorist organisation they didn't fund at some point.

there are many rebel factions; some factions have joined ISIS. Some of those have received aid from Saudi Arabia and Qatar

The USA did that too. They armed a lot of "moderates" that ended up joining ISIS.

Foreign involvement in a civil war will always result in a clusterfuck.

Lebanese civil war lasted 15 years and didn't have half the foreign involvement or rebel factions as this one. I think Syrian Civil War will last 25-30 years and this Wall will be built far before it ends, sad to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom