• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Savage Empire Kickstarter: A Dino Graphic Novel by Bish [Only 24 Hours Left!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

*Note-This is a project I really want to see succeed. Figured off topic GAF might have missed this.*

This project is more than just a Graphic Novel. The success of this can pave the way to a new game as well. Check out the kickstarter and this thread.
If any of it sounds interesting you consider backing the project! Information from the previous thread can be found here

New 150CAD (120USD)Tier Added!

June 24 Newest Concept Art - 7 days to go!
imaged8xgl.jpg

imagexzzzm.jpg

imageo7apa.jpg

imagevtxcb.jpg
image36a62.jpg

June 22 - 10 days to go! Help back this project and help Savage Empire hit the finish line!

New interview up http://blacknerdproblems.com/site/the-carcosa-interview-timothy-lewinson/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.19.2015 - Art Goal Reached!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1096532653/savage-empire/posts/1269127

6 achievements have been unlocked (YouTube subscribers, Twitter followers and RTs, funding and Facebook) which means the first art goal has been reached!

All backers will receive mobile and desktop wallpaper renditions of "PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY" in multiple resolutions at the end of the campaign.

YLqzjPp.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.14.2015 - 1P vs 2P Podcast interview on Savage Empire and game development
http://www.1pvs2p.com/

RarpGgm.png

6.9.2015 - New update introducing Reyka Gray.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1096532653/savage-empire/posts/1258818

Newest Update!(6/5/2015)
Today, Likes To Fight Studios is pleased to announce that SAVAGE EMPIRE, the Vancouver-based graphic novel currently being funded on Kickstarter (http://savageempire.org) is incorporating a new reward for all backers starting immediately.

Chris Bourassa, (@bourassaart) Creative Director and artist of the Kickstarter-backed game DARKEST DUNGEON, will be creating a new piece of artwork only for SAVAGE EMPIRE project backers, drawn in the inimitable DARKEST DUNGEON art style.

Tim Lewinson, writer of SAVAGE EMPIRE, said, “DARKEST DUNGEON was a crowdfunding inspiration, not just for Vancouver studios, but game studios worldwide. I was proud to be a backer and it’s great to see their dream come to fruition. Having seen Chris’ amazing work firsthand when we were colleagues at Propaganda Games, accepting his offer to bring the visuals of DARKEST DUNGEON over to SAVAGE EMPIRE was a no-brainer. Chris’ support is appreciated and I can’t wait to see our characters drawn with his distinctive style.”

Bourassa said, “It's great to have an opportunity to support an ex-coworker and fellow Vancouver-based Kickstarter campaign – I’m looking forward to contributing an amazing piece for SAVAGE EMPIRE backers!”

SAVAGE EMPIRE is "Jurassic Park" meets "Black Hawk Down" in graphic novel format. The story is one of a massive earthquake in the Los Angeles area, triggered by government experiments with time travel. As portals open to ancient worlds, the original apex predators enter our time, and the leader of a rescue squad must balance her responsibilities inside the danger zone against the presence of a mysterious mercenary assigned to her team.

Last Update - Click Here

Be sure to help out with the community achievements!
98b91e4399bd1519a01c7sis5c.png

A massive earthquake has shattered the West Coast, tearing a large swathe of California coastline free. At the quake's epicenter, pulsing energy portals appear - random gateways to another world. Through these portals, ancient creatures reclaim their territory, killing indiscriminately and acting as harbingers of an even more malevolent force in the Pacific.

A crack squad led by a high-ranking wetworks operative goes behind the lines to retrieve the technology that holds the key...and control the personnel responsible. The catch? This team is also the reluctant handler for one Non-State Actor - a man with his own agenda, with a drive and commitment far beyond the means of most.

What happens when conflicting goals collide with the desire to dominate the natural order? What happens when two apex predators clash in the City of Angels?

The Savage world lies exposed. Welcome to the Empire.

In the year 2018, the Big One finally triggers in Southern California. The magnitude of the quake not only kills hundreds of thousands of people, but has actually caused a large portion of the SoCal area to fall and crumble into the Pacific. What little that remains is hanging on to the mainland by a thread, and a massive island has now appeared 30 miles south of San Clemente Islands, in disputed waters between Mexico and the United States. Martial law is declared and the government immediately begins to lie to its citizens, stating that rescue efforts are underway but keeping a 20 mile buffer area clear between the jagged remnants of coastline and the rest of the country.
ccbc3a5ed1fb9992abd25p5j18.png

Government military agencies have been experimenting with time travel and energy at two hidden facilities in Angeles National Forest and Topanga State Park, accidentally triggering the quake and worse, opening a series of rifts between our time and another.

Dinosaurs - the original apex predators - are now flooding through these massive rifts as they open and close along the broken coastline. The Angeles National Forest team was wiped out completely, and the Topanga Team's last transmission was from Ground Zero of the quake.

Now a crack team of commandos has been sent into the zone to back up an "off the books" asset named REEVES who is unequaled at finding those who can't or don't want to be found. The leader of the wetworks unit, REYKA GRAY, has one job - ensure that REEVES performs his.
69e579183aef0e763bd21f5utr.png

After suffering a grievous injury, REEVES comes away with access to a new set of incredible powers. Abilities that put him on a collision course with GRAY, her team and the authorities. A new conflict breaks out against the backdrop of a new natural order...established by ancient beasts hell-bent on reclaiming their territory.

The answers lie on a new island birthed in the Pacific...

The team has a full script and a completed 8 page Prologue Edition, and we're asking for your help to illustrate and colour the full 64 page story. Come and share this epic journey with us!

Tapejara

Really excited for this. Even bumped by pledge up to the $60 tier for the physical edition (at least I think that's the tier, all I know is I wanted a physical copy).

More dinosaurs is always a good thing.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yup, hit 100 backers today and nearly at the 10k mark.

Man I didn't realize just how much art has been posted. More to come over the next few days though! Thanks to everyone who has backed so far.

Mokoi

Banned
Nevermind haven't got paid yet so can't use main card. Have Discover card with cash but who the fuck accepts that shit these days. lol

deafmedal

Thanks for this, I spend most my time here in the Destiny OT and here in Off Topic. Looks interesting, first time backing something :)

Thanks for the bump, Tapejara. I should start handing out tags for backers.
Maybe a little leniency for a stoopid post?!
JK, let the hammers fly as they may :p

Please tell me not all the shirts are black... don't really do black shirts anymore.

Jawmuncher

Thanks for this, I spend most my time here in the Destiny OT and here in Off Topic. Looks interesting, first time backing something :)

Maybe a little leniency for a stoopid post?!
JK, let the hammers fly as they may :p

Please tell me not all the shirts are black... don't really do black shirts anymore.

Shirt designs and colors are all just prototypes ATM. There should be colors and finalized art work

Gazunta

Nevermind haven't got paid yet so can't use main card. Have Discover card with cash but who the fuck accepts that shit these days. lol

Kickstarter doesn't charge your card until the end of the campaign, so you can back it now!

Great that there's a new thread to give this more visibility. Received some extra birthday money yesterday so I can easily afford to pledge for the physical version of this that I want before the campaign ends. Happy to be supporting such a great project like this. Now there's limited time remaining I'll be backing this ASAP.

pestul

I'm not doing the greatest financially right now, but I just slapped in $25 because this interests me very much. And I'm supporting a fellow Canadian at the same time.

The art is stupid good. Only reason I have not contributed to the cause is money. Hope to be paid on the 1st. But SDCC is also really close.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
wait, I thought Bish make games! he draws comic books too? how in the world does he find time to throw down all the ban hammers on the head of the sinned? with his focus on this new work, we'll be able to get away with murder here!!! (or maybe the occasional shit post now and then lol)

I'll look into backing this for sure.

GhaleonEB

I really hope this goes through; it's been stalled for the middle of its run. I backed when it came out at the $100 CAD level.

The art looks simply fantastic.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
imageo7apa.jpg

Very cool.

imagexzzzm.jpg

imageo7apa.jpg

Absolutely love these two pieces of artwork.
The artist for these is my friend Daryl Mandryk. He's one of the top concept artists in the world, we worked together on Turok at Disney. He's done covers for Dark Horse, Star Wars, Conan and a bunch of other comic projects, plus more game projects than you've had hot dinners, including the first 2 Def Jam Vendettas, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc etc. Basically he's an art god and the most chill guy ever.

He's providing a variant cover for my Kickstarter, so I wanted to include some of his prior work so you guys know what you'll be getting. As of today, that variant cover is extended to ALL physical copies of the book, not just the $250 tier. So you can pledge at the $50 CDN tier (BET JURASSIC) and get the variant cover.

It's a Kickstarter-exclusive, btw. Once the campaign is over, any copies of the novel sold will have the regular cover, not the variant. So get on it!

I'm not doing the greatest financially right now, but I just slapped in $25 because this interests me very much. And I'm supporting a fellow Canadian at the same time.
For you and everyone else who's chipped in, I'll never be able to adequately express how much your support means. Thank you.

edit: JUST HIT 10K YES LET'S DO THIS

Stasis

Backed. I gotta help out "our" mod. Plus dinosaurs are fucking cool.

Not much further to go. Come on NHL-gaf, lets all unite in our hatred of the Kings. And in helping bish.

Gotta add, I'd play the fuck out of a game based on this.

Tapejara

The artist for these is my friend Daryl Mandryk. He's one of the top concept artists in the world, we worked together on Turok at Disney. He's done covers for Dark Horse, Star Wars, Conan and a bunch of other comic projects, plus more game projects than you've had hot dinners, including the first 2 Def Jam Vendettas, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc etc. Basically he's an art god and the most chill guy ever.

He's providing a variant cover for my Kickstarter, so I wanted to include some of his prior work so you guys know what you'll be getting. As of today, that variant cover is extended to ALL physical copies of the book, not just the $250 tier. So you can pledge at the $50 CDN tier (BET JURASSIC) and get the variant cover.

It's a Kickstarter-exclusive, btw. Once the campaign is over, any copies of the novel sold will have the regular cover, not the variant. So get on it!

For you and everyone else who's chipped in, I'll never be able to adequately express how much your support means. Thank you.

edit: JUST HIT 10K YES LET'S DO THIS

Awesome that you've extended the Kickstarter-exclusive cover art to the lower tiers. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Kylarean

I love books/movies/etc with dinosaurs and the artwork looks fantastic and really hope this makes it. Going by Kicktraq it looked like it stalled after I initially backed it on the 8th.

This better fucking get funded, that's all I'm saying.

Love the art, love the concept, love the team behind it.

Also, I fucking love dinosaurs. You can't go wrong there.

Also, Dinosaurs with scales and spikes. Awesome. Dinosaurs with feathers. Awesome. So much hype.

Jawmuncher

New Tier Added!
*This replaced the 250CAD tier, perfect for those who couldn't afford that but wanted to put a bit more towards the project*

Pledge $150CAD or more
120 USD

(PROPAGANDA ÜBER ALLES: Physical Reward Tier)

TWO PERSONALIZED VOICEMAIL MESSAGES OR VOICE RINGTONES from TIM LEWINSON. The writer will provide TWO soothing notes for your mobile to greet those whose call you miss. Smile when the phone rings as Tim slyly intones, "It's for you, Jason/Frieda/xxNoScope420xx". (.mp3 or .wav format)

+ TWO SIGNATURE COPIES of FULL 64 PAGE STORY/PROLOGUE EDITION: BLACK SATURDAY Softcover copy

+ DARYL MANDRYK COVER VARIANT (Kickstarter exclusive run)

+ ONE T-Shirt of YOUR CHOICE

+ PHYSICAL CHARACTER CARDS

+ DIGITAL ART BOOK containing sketches, concept art, illustrations and more

+ all ATTACKED BY A BIG-ASS LIZARD Tier rewards

Color version of Reyka added
imagemzbdx.jpg

pestul

Just upped to the $50+$10 ship tier.. cause why not. Still cheaper than the price of a game and 110% cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom