• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Anything (the band, not the John Cusack movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told to check this band out by someone who heard their song "Alive with the Glory of Love" on a sampler. Usually I don't listen to this kid because he recommends absolute shit to me, but some of his comments got me interested... he seemed to be recommending me something he thought I would like rather than something he liked.

B0002IQK40.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyway, I bought the CD and it rocks (although I think the song he heard is far from the best on the album). The music itself is very well done and I enjoy the vocals, although they might be offputting for some. What really takes the cake, however, is the writing. This is honestly some of the best writing on a rock album I've heard in a really long time. The fact that the gu that wrote it was apparently only 18 or 19 at the time makes it even more amazing, I think heh.

I guess this band can slightly fit into the current definition of "emo", where anything with "emotional" or "meaningful" or "decently-written" lyrics can somehow be smashed into a genre that somehow means something completely different than it did just a decade ago. So if you're into that stuff, this might interest you. I generally am definitely not, so that might mean something more than usual lol.

Anyone else hear these guys?

Blinky

I listened to belt, and I thought it sucked. Then I heard Yellow Cat, and I thought it was awesome because of the voice.

I'm guessing that was just a one song thing?

Blinky

Alive With The Glory of Love and Woe were a bit better. I guess "belt" didn't suck, but it's globviously not my thing. Personally, if it was all Yellow Cat-ish, it'd be so much more awesome.

Blinky said:
Alive With The Glory of Love and Woe were a bit better. I guess "belt" didn't suck, but it's globviously not my thing. Personally, if it was all Yellow Cat-ish, it'd be so much more awesome.

Depends on what exactly you like about that song... Belt doesn't really sound like the entire album or anything.

The voice is the same in all the songs... I mean, it's the same vocalist.

And the song you speak of is only about the cat for the first 1/10 of the song.

Blinky

I meant the weird voice he makes. And the point is, the song is about the cats, because the first 10th is the most important part!

Yeah...I don't know leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom