• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say goodbye to cashiers in 2,500 U.S. McDonalds by the end of 2017.

FinKL

I don't know man, I think both should exist

Sometimes it takes too much time to order a # 1 via the kiosk because you have to go through so many customization options when it's real quick to just say, "let me get a medium #1" to a cashier.

Other times, I do love love the customization because I don't look like an asshole asking for specific things

JABEE

To all those complaining - do you use grocery self check out, ATM machines, Amazon, or never read a newspaper?

If so, you need to STFU and realize you are no better for the working man than McDonalds. This is progress. People will lose jobs. We as a culture need to find ways of creating new jobs for low skilled workers, but bitching about old days gone by is not the way to do it.

It would have been cool for the people who pull the economic levers and shape public policy to give a fuck about this impending nightmare. Good luck retraining people to perform jobs that will be automated 15 years from today. It's like moving from one dying profession or source of income to another.

All the people caught in the middle are basically fucked. Poor people are screwed while Wall Street cheers efficiency and cost reduction. Retail jobs don't just support young people from middle-class families to get their feet wet, many people rely on these jobs as a major source of income. Retired people who either didn't save or whose lives were turned upside-down by the Great Recession need these jobs.

We all have to accept that phyical retailers are on the way out. Soon transportation as well. What is going to replace it? And when people lash out when they are handed a shitty hand that will be shit for decades to come impacting their children and grandchildren, re-training and telling people to go to college isn't going to feed their children today. That logic only makes sense from a cushy office seat.

What is most efficient and productive can cause human suffering? Let's not act as if shame and self-worth are not part of this. Hard work isn't worth shit. Your life is determined by what family you were born into, what yuppie private school you went to, and who your community was willing to wall out along the way.

All of the things you mention contribute to this. Only proving the point that this has been a problem in need of a solution for too long. There hasn't been a solution for the loss of factory jobs. Look at Detroit, Camden, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Philadelphia.

The answer accepted by our government is to build high-tech, highly skilled industries over the remains of what used to exist. All the poor, uneducated, different people are ignored and discarded to slums on the outside of town. This wasn't a solution to a problem. It was a re-prioritization of government without care for anyone else.

The same thing will happen with this situation. It's already happening. Private industry will write our public policy to serve their interests. I don't know how much longer you can continue to discard people without a care or social safety net.

Hip Hop

Automation needs to fuck right off.

Governments need to intervene.

Corporations will just get fatter and fatter with profits too.

Automation is a beautiful thing. If the world is truly reactionary, these things need to happen. The low income earners spend the largest percent of their income on goods automation is replacing. Something will have to give, and solutions will be made.

Automation if anything, needs to accelerate faster in my opinion. (Though it's going at a great clip now).

dhlt25

can't wait til they automate the entire store. I don't want any human interaction at fast food place or any other food place for that matter

starmud

Self-checkout machines never work in Target or Walmart in my area. They need 2-3 people policing the area just in case the things lock up or malfunction.

Actually, Walmart in so cal is removing self check outs and leaving them only as express lanes going forward, at least in their higher income stores.

We're doing similar thing at target by limiting self check out to 15 or less items.

Lower volume or grocery sales strong stores still get screwed with each self check out replacing one cashier or three cashier shifts a day.

The growing divide here that department stores have found is that shoppers with more spending power don't want to use shelf check out. It's a huge turn off to families shopping with children. I won't even go into senior shoppers.

The tech is buggy and still can't do basic things like divide payment correctly and laws that prohibit alcohol sales cause disruptions. Theft became such a problem in one lower income store they also removed most of the self check out registers to one corner of the store that could be better surveyd.

That said, we know younger folks enjoy self check out but still expect service. Most stores see service and experience (show piecing) as the main way to get people to come into a store versus going online.

A lot of the job cuts are in operations and logistics, working on the salesfloor now requires running an entire storefront alone. Most of the remedial work a salesfloor person was hired to do is now automated. Zone = pushers. In stocks = RF tags. Plano = president assembled end caps. Restocking = vendors...

I should love all of this stuff. Right now we have all of the tools at our disposal for the greatest renaissance in human history. Instead I feel like we are headed toward a fucking horror show.

Midas

Hope this comes to Sweden and other companies as well! Anything to avoid the awkward conversation with the cashier.

:lol

How is ordering food awkward?

Anyways, what's the idea with capitalism in this way? Anyone studying this or is just smart? What do these giant corporations think will happen when they replace their whole workforce with robots and other companies follow as well? Where will people work? How will they have money to buy the service the companies offer or the products that they sell? Maybe there's a simple answer, that I'm overlooking.

Apt101

I expect within the next five years the food will be delivered via robot of some kind - maybe a kind of conveyor belt.

Hmmm, I'm sure we already have these in the UK. You use a touch screen to order and make adjustments and then make a contactless payment with your phone or card. You then get a ticket and wait for your food, which (in some restaurants) is then delivered to your table.

Yeah I was doing that in Leicester over 10 years ago.

Dipper145

Awesome news. Although some low-wage job wills be available for someone to be near them to help the people who can't work these machines properly like at self checkouts and such.

And unless I'm mistaken decreases in labour due to technological advances in general leads to increases in comparatively higher wage positions in other sectors. So overall, a move in the right direction, but obviously it's all different to the individual who loses their job and lacks the skills or funds or network for education for/other positions.

The government should not interfere to stop automation wtf. Automation is a good thing as people shouldn't be working menial jobs that only exist because we force them to. We need to be looking at other avenues of supporting people.

As someone who used to work at one a long time ago this would be a godsend. The worst thing working at McDonald's is dealing with customers. Now if they could put up a protective barrier separating the crazy customers from the employees that would be even better. While this may cause some people to lose their jobs, cashier is just one of the many things McDonald's employees have to juggle.

Talk to the robot ma'm they'll help you.

Everything in mcdonalds is pretty near automated. You only need a few neurons to fire to flip the burger when the machine beeps, pull the fries out when it beeps, drinks are poured automatically for drive thru already.

Apt101

can't wait til they automate the entire store. I don't want any human interaction at fast food place or any other food place for that matter

There will always be at least one person on site to fix problems (or report them for repair), monitor the premises to handle facilities issues, etc. I figure even the small stores will have two people on duty at a time.

Edit: I forgot to mention, they installed a few kiosks at a place near here called Jason's Deli - one for the salad bar, and a separate one for full-on orders. Really cuts down on the wait times when I just want to pop in and build a quick salad for lunch.

I see nothing wrong about this. This is progress towards an automated environment. More and more jobs are going to be replaced with automated machines, nothing wrong with that.

This has been happening for nearly a century now and will continue to happen. When automated cars start hitting the road, say good buy to taxi drivers.

People freak out when this happens and I'm sick of their hyperbole.

More automation
less costs
more profit
more taxes
more public services, infrastructure, grants
more discretionary spending (as you arent paying directly for these public services)
more industries are created to capture some of that spending

For me the only place where this system is currently failing is the "more taxes" bit. Companies now are making untold amounts of profit and the number of $1b "unicorns" keeps increasing, but we are so reluctant to capture some of that in order to keep the wheel spinning. If parents no longer have to pay for childcare or health insurance then they will spend that extra income on iphones, cars, jewellery etc.

More automation
less costs
more profit
more taxes
more public services, infrastructure, grants
more discretionary spending (as you arent paying directly for these public services)
more industries are created to capture some of that spending

For me the only place where this system is currently failing s the "more taxes" bit. Companies now are making untold amounts of profit and the number of $1b "unicorns" keeps increasing, but we are so reluctant to capture some of that in order to keep the wheel spinning. If parents no longer have to pay for childcare or health insurance then they will spend that extra income on iphones, cars, jewellery etc.

There is only profit when the money is taken out of the company and paid out to investors. Until then, they can just reinvest that money at create more profits at no cost.

BUT... More investments, more jobs.

MsKrisp

I appreciate your rosy tinted view.

I suspect you have too much faith in the worlds giant corporations.
Nice of you to assume for me.

I don't trust them at all. They exploit their workers and they always will as far as you will let them. It's incredibly naive to think that anyone could rely on McDs to help them out of poverty, and I bet no one here has tried to support their family on it. People need better options, pay, and hours. The jobs that automation can bring might help bring that to us, and justify benefits for the workers that are left. I am optimistic in that light, because it's bleak as it is right now if we decide that our economy will end without fast food cashiers.

This has been in the works for years and tested in various places around the world, it was always a matter of time and one of many the reasons I rolled my eyes at that stupid "want $15/hour, here's your replacement" meme or however it went.

Vuze

Every job will be automated though. We're even seeing automation in law.
What exactly are you thinking about? Genuinely interested. I took a course last semester where automation in law was a tiny side topic but the consensus was it required way too much maintenance etc to be and stay effective.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What exactly are you thinking about? Genuinely interested. I took a course last semester where automation in law was a tiny side topic but the consensus was it required way too much maintenance etc to be and stay effective.

Theres been talk for at least a year or two about how the majority of legal work is on the chopping block for automation.

edit:

Deloitte is predicting a tipping point for automation in legal services by 2020. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/audit/deloitte-uk-developing-legal-talent-2016.pdf

Makai

Yeah, let's go back to the days where I have to go through an operator to call anybody.

It's just pop-econ. Don't worry about it.

LifEndz

:lol

How is ordering food awkward?

Me at a fast food restaurant: I'd like a plain hamburger, only ketchup.
Employee: Do you want cheese on that?

Me at a deli: I'd like a turkey hero with lettuce tomato, mozzarella cheese, oil, and vinegar.
Employee: Do you want mayo on that?
Me: no.
Employee: okay. Repeat the order.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Automation will happen whether you like it or not. It's not a question of whether it should happen. Economic forces are too strong. It's inevitable.

Hope this comes to Sweden and other companies as well! Anything to avoid the awkward conversation with the cashier.

They already have it at some Mcdonalds, and it seems to be the standard at Max but both also let you order from the desk and you also can chose to pay at the desk. Combined with the employees that still need to make food, clean etc I doubt it will effect many jobs but just make it more effective.

Being stuck in a line behind some idiots that takes 5-10mins to place a order is the worst. I like seeing the list of my order too to minimize risk of something getting wrong.

Automation will happen whether you like it or not. It's not a question of whether it should happen. Economic forces are too strong. It's inevitable.

Let's just sit around and wait for our species to become extinct instead of doing anything because it's inevitable and economic forces are too strong!

I understand the hope that we as a species can strive for more than a menial job or career to attach our livelihoods to. However, I absolutely do not trust corporations, the government, etc. to properly react to automation and the negative impacts it will have towards those that are already struggling to make ends meet. Scary stuff lies ahead.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering how McDonalds food is made and its quality, I'm surprised they haven't build robots who make their food, as well. McDonalds should be able to work with just one engineer that supverises the store to repair potentially faulty units.

Also, no one should eat there.

Railer

This has already happened here in Sweden at one of the McDonalds near me.

I like the system alot, you order and pay on a touchscreen and then they have a screen that tells you when your order is done. There is still the option to order through the cashier though.

Considering how McDonalds food is made and its quality, I'm surprised they haven't build robots who make their food, as well. McDonalds should be able to work with just one engineer that supverises the store to repair potentially faulty units.

I can only speak on meat quality, but i work at Sweden's largest slaughterhouse and McDonalds has the highest quality demands out of any of our customers on the meat that goes into burgers.

It's quite sad to see the amount of people that want completely rid of human interaction. I have just spent a year living alone and I'm now in my mid-thirties, and I want more human interaction.

In my late 20's and early 30's I was all for less human interaction, not having other people bother me, but I don't feel like that now. We need other people in our lives, very few people can get by on their own with no one to talk to. As you get older and your friends drift off into their lives and family members pass away, small daily interactions with other people are essential, especially for really old people.

Also, not everyone can be a PhD or an expert in their field, it's great that you achieved whatever brilliant things you have in life but just because you did it doesn't mean someone else is capable of it. Jobs on the lower end need to remain or there needs to be a basic income.

It's quite sad to see the amount of people that want completely rid of human interaction. I have just spent a year living alone and I'm now in my mid-thirties, and I want more human interaction.

In my late 20's and early 30's I was all for less human interaction, not having other people bother me, but I don't feel like that now. We need other people in our lives, very few people can get by on their own with no one to talk to. As you get older and your friends drift off into their lives and family members pass away, small daily interactions with other people are essential, especially for really old people.

If you get most of your human interaction from Billy down at Burger King you have larger issues.

Top Bottom