• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scariest Games: The List.

Terrific thread. Want to check a lot of these games out.

I think the REmake gets my vote. There were times when I has to stop playing I got so unnerved. I never played the Silent Hill games - where is a good place to start? YouTube 1, get the HD collection for 2 and 3? Or should I try and find 1? Not sure how these games aged.

It was hard for me to fully enjoy the first Silent Hill because I played 2-4 several times beforehand. However, if you choose to jump into the sequels first, SH2 is a good one because it's a spiritual sequel and is separate from the first game. Silent Hill 3 is a true sequel, but playing the first game isn't required as it mentions important plot elements during the game. You will likely appreciate it more having played SH1, though.

I wouldn't bother with the HD collection. You can find the PS2 games at reasonable prices now and they are fantastic.

Astery

Fatal Frame 2
SCP-087 -very simple but effective, Ill give credit to that
SCP Containment Breach -oh this is great.

Any suggestions similar to these? I'm seeing a lot of not scary games listed here actually.

Myriadis

I just played 'Slender' after reading about a free scary game on eurogamer today, I thankfully didn't watch the trailer so had no idea what to expect.

It made me jump.

(The site seems to be down a lot atm but it downloaded after clicking the link a few times)

download it here:

Windows:http://www.parsecproductions.net/games/Slender_v0_9.zip

Mac:http://www.parsecproductions.net/games/Slender_v0_9_mac.zip

Nice, a game about the slender man. I absolutely loved the no-budget video series "Marble Honets" and I will surely check this one out.

Nice, a game about the slender man. I absolutely loved the no-budget video series "Marble Honets" and I will surely check this one out.
Definitely gonna add Slender to OP. gotta say, I've been playing through Cry of Fear. Great great mod. Well worth checking out.

antitrop

Definitely gonna add Slender to OP. gotta say, I've been playing through Cry of Fear. Great great mod. Well worth checking out.
I downloaded Slender and was actually digging the creepy atmosphere until I saw the Slenderman in-game model.

Not scary.

Of course, I wasn't scared by Amnesia either, I stopped playing because I was bored and didn't care about the story, so maybe I just played too much Silent Hill as a kid to be scared by modern games today.

DjRoomba

Banned
There was always something about claymation that creeped me out a little, but this game took that to another creepy level. Its not intentionally scary yet it scarred me when I played this as a kid

The-Neverhood-Front-Cover-635.jpg

Tain

I like horror games, for sure. It's a theme, though, not a genre. I don't think that "survival horror" as a genre label is very useful, either, for what it's worth.

Playing through RE0 right now, and it's tame even for RE standards.

I am way too stoned for that SLENDER game right now holy shit. Bad call on my part.

It runs really slow on my computer and I have the graphics set on simple. Is my computer really this bad?

There was always something about claymation that creeped me out a little, but this game took that to another creepy level. Its not intentionally scary yet it scarred me when I played this as a kid

This game still gives me the heebie jeebies!

I love video games that scare the shit outta me I don't know why! I want to play all of the scariest.

On a similar note, Marathon really scares me. I even can't get past the first level because of that, and I don't know why.

I know that feel BIG TIME, bro.

I have tried playing Marathon many times, but just can never get very far at all. I have no idea why, but a lot of the old Wolfenstein 3D style games scare the shit out of me without fail. This includes Duke Nukem 3D, especially death match.

Holy shit, I watched that and it scared me. What game is this?

I think it's literally called, StairCase simulator. I think it's part of a series. Looks great.
Just played a few games of Slender. I am so sad right now. :( Only got up to 4 pages.

I got 6 and got got. Pretty fun for what it is.

Also, Everyone needs to play Cry of Fear. Great friggin' game. It also 4 player Co-Op and even THAT is kinda scary. The chainsaw guys are absolutely terrifying.

clear31

I couldn't play Doom 3 at night, it was many years ago and I never bothered to try again but I do remember that being the only time that I had to turn a game off

Taruranto

Terrific thread. Want to check a lot of these games out.

I think the REmake gets my vote. There were times when I has to stop playing I got so unnerved. I never played the Silent Hill games - where is a good place to start? YouTube 1, get the HD collection for 2 and 3? Or should I try and find 1? Not sure how these games aged.

Got with 1. The graphic may take a while to take used to, but SH1 is one of those games that used its bad graphic to enhance the experience. The gameplay aged pretty well if you are used to these kind of games.

Playing 3 without 1 doesn't make much sense IMO.

Xero

Horror games I played:

Resident Evil 1 PS1: nice shock moments, really scared me when I played it back then.
Resident Evil 2: See above, though a bit more action orientated
Resident Evil 4: the fuck? more a fairytale than a horror game.
Silent Hill: More weird than horrifying
Silent Hill 2: Even weirder, not very scary.
Eternal Darkness: Amazing game, loved the sanity stuff..scary? lol
Fatal Frame: Awesome atmosphere, stopped playing it for some odd reason.
Dead Space: as scary as the muppets

my biggest hope now lies in Amnesia

Echo_Night_-_Beyond_Coverart.png

shhheit thank's for reminding me to buy that game.

edit: bought it, thanks again.

I hate to say it, but from how you explained the games, I don't think amnesia will scare you. It almost sounds like you are challenging the games to scare you, which never makes them scary.

For those saying penumbra, I bought the collection a few years back and played through 1 and 2 and really liked it. I played like 20 minutes of the third, and it just seemed like a bunch of puzzles. I see some people listing the entire series, and I wonder does the 3rd game actually get scary, or is it just room after room of puzzles?

epmode

I want to play this so badly. Do your thing, GOG!

Lijik

Seeing this thread reminds me that I tried playing White Day a few months ago and had a hell of a time trying to get it to run.
Still haven't played it yet

Recent indie games like Stair Simulator and Slender just dont do anything for me. Especially stair simulator. Most of it boils down to, once you see the scary thing it looks doofy and it instantly kills the shock for me. Homecoming stepped all over some of its scares in similar ways (not that itd be much better if it didnt). Idk just cant really get into them.
There was an indie game a person I follow on tumblr linked to that I played for a bit before getting stuck on a puzzle that had a really unsettling vibe but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I tried playing White Day a few months ago and had a hell of a time trying to get it to run.

Yeah, game looks great. I just watched a few youtube clips of it. Wonder if there has been a fan translation of the Korean text yet?

Recent indie games like Stair Simulator and Slender just dont do anything for me. Especially stair simulator. Most of it boils down to, once you see the scary thing it looks doofy and it instantly kills the shock for me. Homecoming stepped all over some of its scares in similar ways (not that itd be much better if it didnt). Idk just cant really get into them.
There was an indie game a person I follow on tumblr linked to that I played for a bit before getting stuck on a puzzle that had a really unsettling vibe but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

Yeah, there's nothing scary about Stair Simulator at all. It is basically the videogame equivalent of a spooky sounds CD.

I only played Slender once; I wandered around in a dark forest for a good ten minutes and nothing happened, and right as I started hearing what sounded like heavy breathing, I got called away from the PC and had to close the game.

Been meaning to go back to it for a while and try again but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

zoukka

Siren series. Holy moley, I'm not touching them ever again.

Silent Hill series. The best.

Resident Evil Remake. Very creepy and atmospheric.

Killer 7. Dat laugh.

Amnesia. Didn't even finish lol.

Jawmuncher

I still feel Dino Crisis is often very over looked as a Durvival Horror Classic.
The game was absolutely terrifying, especially if you're playing without any spoilers.

Rich!

To this date, nothing in film, print or gaming has terrified me apart from...

The regenerator in RE4. Fuuuuuckkk me. On a playthrough of the game again at the moment, and im at the island...already dreading the labs. Gahhh

beje

Banned
Am I the only one that finds Ravenholm not scary at all? I mean, you have a fuck ton of ammo and you can screw with the zombies setting environment traps, what could be more fun?

marrec

Banned
Just did a cast on Horror games! I wish this thread was bumped before that...

I played through Lone Survivor and Clocktower 2 for the cast and both of those games prove that you don't need the newest exceptional graphics in order for a game to be scary. Lone Survivor is the only game where I felt less safe after
getting a gun
. The graphics may turn some people off, but I was genuinely creeped out and uneasy after long sessions with it.

I intend to play Slender soon, though I've seen so many videos of it now that I fear I may have ruined the experience for myself. So I may just skip Slender and play Nightmare House 2.

I want to see more SCP games...

haikira

I played through Lone Survivor and Clocktower 2 for the cast and both of those games prove that you don't need the newest exceptional graphics in order for a game to be scary. Lone Survivor is the only game where I felt less safe after
getting a gun
. The graphics may turn some people off, but I was genuinely creeped out and uneasy after long sessions with it.

I love seeing anything positive said about Lone Survivor. That and Dustforce, are the two games out this year, i make a point of always praising around here.

marrec

Banned
I love seeing anything positive said about Lone Survivor. That and Dustforce, are the two games out this year, i make a point of always praising around here.

I was surprised by how engaging the story of Lone Survivor was. It had that perfect mix of character and player communication that is completely absent in more games. The Character knows stuff that the player doesn't, and the player knows stuff that the character doesn't. You feel uneasy just playing the guy, and as the story reveals itself that feeling grows.

Again though my absolute favorite interaction with the game was how having the
gun
made every seem scarier. As if there was a short arms race and you'd lost and now you had to confront the antagonists directly within your paltry means. Never felt like that in a game, it was very refreshing.

I don't know if anyone has seen the trailer for this game called Routine but it looks pretty good. Permadeath, no hud, amnesia-like, survival horror goodness. Looks good, looking forward to it. It was teased at Gamescon and RPS did a write up too, which probably makes it sound more exciting than it really is.

RobertM

I still feel Dino Crisis is often very over looked as a Durvival Horror Classic.
The game was absolutely terrifying, especially if you're playing without any spoilers.

Dino Crisis has a few jumpy moments, one of them is being t-rex crashing through the window, but I don't get a sense of fear from dinosaurs more tension than anything. Dino Crisis 2 was a joke in comparison; I used to do an 1.5 hour speed run, fun game though.

Raptomex

Doom 1, 2, Final Doom. Opening a door to a Revenant missile or Cyberdemon missile to the face is pretty fucking scary. That's fear.

yon61

To this date, nothing in film, print or gaming has terrified me apart from...

The regenerator in RE4. Fuuuuuckkk me. On a playthrough of the game again at the moment, and im at the island...already dreading the labs. Gahhh

The only nightmares I've had about a video game monster were of the regenerators. After finishing the main game I decided to do Separate Ways and I was finding myself pausing just to psych myself up throughout the entire Island section due to fear of having to fight them again.

The only nightmares I've had about a video game monster were of the regenerators. After finishing the main game I decided to do Separate Ways and I was finding myself pausing just to psych myself up throughout the entire Island section due to fear of having to fight them again.

The regenerators and that entire school area have kept me up at night. Well, when I was a kid. Though, I do know that if play a scary game and then go to the fridge to get a beer or something and I don't turn on the lights, I do get a bit paranoid.

Top Bottom