• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA announces Limited Edition Gran Turismo PSP Entertainment Pack

Jim

Guess that's why it wasn't included with the Go for a limited time, like in Europe.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces Limited Edition Gran Turismo(R) PSP(R)(Playstation(R)Portable) Entertainment Pack

Consumers Can Now Hit the Road with the Complete Gran Turismo Game on the PSP System

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) today announced the availability of the upcoming Limited Edition Gran Turismo PSP (PlayStation Portable) Entertainment Pack on October 20 for $199.99 (MSRP) at participating retailers in the United States and Canada. Developed by Polyphony Digital, Inc. specifically for the PSP system, the launch of Gran Turismo marks the first time the famed racing series is available on PSP. Blending the high-speed racing action of Gran Turismo with the high caliber entertainment experience of the PSP system, the new entertainment pack features an exclusive PlayStation Network downloadable voucher for a white Chevrolet Corvette ZR1--a color not available in the game and only offered in this hardware package. The limited edition entertainment pack also includes a "Mystic Silver" PSP-3000 system; Gran Turismo game on UMD ; PlayStation Network downloadable movie voucher (title to be announced); a 2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo(TM); and a music voucher good for 10 downloadable songs from Sony Music Pass. A stand-alone version of Gran Turismo will be available on UMD and as a digital download on the PlayStation Network on October 1 for $39.99 (MSRP).
The award-winning Gran Turismo franchise has shipped more than 52 million units worldwide. With its true-to-life graphics and authentic physics technology and design, Gran Turismo features more than 800 vehicle models from the world's top manufacturers and 35 tracks - all this is only possible on the PSP system.

"Gran Turismo is one of the most successful gaming franchises in history, so what better way to mark Gran Turismo's premiere on the PSP system than by offering it with the only portable device that can deliver its rich, true-to-life graphics and unrivaled driving experience," said John Koller, Director, Hardware Marketing, SCEA. "Featuring Polyphony Digital's famed graphical prowess, tons of fun automotive content--including the ability to trade and share vehicles--and an exhilarating racing experience created for the PSP system, Gran Turismo is again poised to take racing games to new heights."

The Limited Edition Gran Turismo Entertainment Pack features a "Mystic Silver" PSP-3000 system, along with the following:
  • Gran Turismo - Developed exclusively for the PSP system by the internal team of designers and engineers at Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo features more than 800 vehicle models from the world's top manufacturers (over 4,500 total paint variations) and 35 tracks (60+ total layouts)--including famous world circuits, city courses and other environments. Seasoned Gran Turismo fans will recognize the depth of content and unparalleled visuals the series is known for, including graphics running at a stunning 60 frames per second. Additionally, a first in the Gran Turismo series is the ability to trade and share unlocked vehicles with others online via ad hoc mode, a feature that is not available in any other racing game on the PSP system. Rated "E" for everyone.
  • Exclusive car download - Includes an exclusive PlayStation Network voucher to download a white version of the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 for Gran Turismo, the same car featured on the cover of the game.
  • PlayStation Network movie voucher - Consumers can easily download a movie from the PlayStation Network to their PSP system. Title to be announced.
  • 2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo - Leverages the PSP system's multimedia functionality by storing photos, music, videos, and game saves.
  • Music voucher - Consumers can download 10 free songs onto their PC or Mac using Sony Music Pass. Available to U.S. residents only.
From the hardware to games, videos, music, memory and more for $199.99 (MSRP), all PSP entertainment packs offer incredible value to consumers.

evolution

doesn't europe get it for free? i'd buy this if it was bundled with the Go instead of the 3000. I thought they would use this game to push Go sales, strange decision methinks

This seems like an odd decision. I know they are continuing to support the PSP 3000 but why announce a pack like this right before the PSPGo is released?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you guys pay me $400 I'll sell you a copy of GT PSP and a brand new PSP Go for free. Yes that's right, PSP GO for free. It's a better deal than what SCEA is offering you cause I'm giving it for FREE!

RBH

Felix Lighter said:
This seems like an odd decision. I know they are continuing to support the PSP 3000 but why announce a pack like this right before the PSPGo is released?
Same thing I was thinking.

Mrbob

What the heck. SCEA doing their best to entice people away from the PSP GO in the USA.

Assassins Creed pack and GT pack for $199.99....but I don't like the PSP 3000. If these games came with the GO for $249.99 I would hop on it.

Right now the PSP go is a horrible value comparatively. :(

Oni Jazar

It seems evident that Sony is seriously hedging their bets on the PSP Go at least initially. Maybe they're bowing down to retailers so much that not only are they willing to sell off the Go with a markup (for rich folks) but also giving 110% support on 3000 UMD systems. I think this strategy will only confuse consumers.

I'd say it's a definite missed opportunity for a complete rebranding (more so then the PS3 Slim) that the PSP could have had with a $199 or less Go price point.

Wario64 said:
If you guys pay me $400 I'll sell you a copy of GT PSP and a brand new PSP Go for free. Yes that's right, PSP GO for free. It's a better deal than what SCEA is offering you cause I'm giving it for FREE!
oh snaps, what a deal!

i'll take 10

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stumpokapow said:
so this is SCEA officially admitting that the Go is a lost cause and we should stick with the 3000?

SCE has two options:

-Push PSPGO at a premium price to consumers and make a fairly nice profit on DD, or
-Push the non-pirateable PSP-3000 at a cheaper price (which is already selling fairly well) and keep retailers happy, while gaining more exposure for all the new PSP games coming out this fall.

The PSPGO has always been an experiment IMO. They don't really care if it doesn't launch hugely since the PSP-3000 is selling briskly. A large, huge majority of new PSP owners are going to go for the PSP-3000, no question about it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I like that the PSPGO + GT is $50 less than the PS3 in australia.

I wish i was joking. And i doubt you would call that "Europe is getting it for free" when the price is that batshit insane.

chubigans said:
The PSPGO has always been an experiment IMO. They don't really care if it doesn't launch hugely since the PSP-3000 is selling briskly. A large, huge majority of new PSP owners are going to go for the PSP-3000, no question about it.

It may be an experiment but, with moves like this, it feels like SCEA is actively sabotaging the PSPGo.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Felix Lighter said:
It may be an experiment but, with moves like this, it feels like SCEA is actively sabotaging the PSPGo.
I think everyone kinda realized that with the $250 price to begin with. :p

evlcookie said:
I like that the PSPGO + GT is $50 less than the PS3 in australia.

I wish i was joking. And i doubt you would call that "Europe is getting it for free" when the price is that batshit insane.

The same is true for the US. Well, except we get a fucking Rock Band DEMO (raise the flag psp go defenders, "it's not a demo.. you get five songs and then you can buy more songs at the low low price of $2 a piece"). So I think they're going for a less front loaded iphone release strategy. Suckers will buy it for $250, and it will be discounted fairly soon after that

... my man.

SamBishop

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
It seems evident that Sony is seriously hedging their bets on the PSP Go at least initially. Maybe they're bowing down to retailers so much that not only are they willing to sell off the Go with a markup (for rich folks) but also giving 110% support on 3000 UMD systems. I think this strategy will only confuse consumers.

I'd say it's a definite missed opportunity for a complete rebranding (more so then the PS3 Slim) that the PSP could have had with a $199 or less Go price point.

The go's price is where it is to appease retailers. Once someone buys a go from them, they'll never see that person in their store again to buy games for that new handheld. That flies in the face of every reason retailers stock hardware, so Sony had to keep 'em happy somehow.

gerg

chubigans said:
SCE has two options:

-Push PSPGO at a premium price to consumers and make a fairly nice profit on DD, or
-Push the non-pirateable PSP-3000 at a cheaper price (which is already selling fairly well) and keep retailers happy, while gaining more exposure for all the new PSP games coming out this fall.

In what definition of the word is the PSP selling "well"?

NeoUltima

pic!
3865588147_3b405447b8_b.jpg

KtSlime

They should put the music store on PSN if they want to give us free songs, as a Mac user, I feel somewhat neglected.

SamBishop

Banned
gerg said:
In what definition of the word is the PSP selling "well"?

The one where it's outsold the Xbox and GameCube combined? PSP hardware has done gangbusters; it's the software that's been something of an issue.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oni Jazar said:

What makes you think they really have a choice with the mark up? If retailers said "bigger cut or we're not going to carry it at all" what would you do? Sell it only through your website?

The complete "rebranding" should be the PSP 2, not the Go. The Go always has seemed like an introduction. Putting the idea out there before figuring out whether to dive completely in or not.

Not bad. Maybe a white PSP might have gained a little more excitement among the apparently many (and including myself) silver PSP owners, neatly matching in theme with the white ZR1 bonus.

The bigger question is, are they selling Gran Turismo cases in stores with a download voucher in it? I want that box so bad, but am getting a Go.

Jim

SuperEnemyCrab said:
aw, if it wasn't silver I would be all over this. Already got a silver one though back in the jak and daxter bundle.

It's different silver with a different finish actually.
I love the Mystic Silver 3000 finish, it's so smooth and fingerprint free. My fav PSP color.

Sony's goal is to get people to buy PSP games, not sell just the PSP go. There is more than enough time in the future to bundle the go. Hardware in new consumers hands so they buy games > new hardware alone.

So I can get a PSP 3000 with Gran Turismo for 199 or I can get a PSPgo for 249 with Rock Band lite? Even as someone who likes the go and has defended it, this is a little ridiculous. This bundle looks pretty sweet though.

Goldrusher

yellowjacket25 said:
So I can get a PSP 3000 with Gran Turismo for 199 or I can get a PSPgo for 249 with Rock Band lite? Even as someone who likes the go and has defended it, this is a little ridiculous. This bundle looks pretty sweet though.
Don't forget the movie and the 10 songs.

Oni Jazar

Kintaro said:
What makes you think they really have a choice with the mark up? If retailers said "bigger cut or we're not going to carry it at all" what would you do? Sell it only through your website?

The complete "rebranding" should be the PSP 2, not the Go. The Go always has seemed like an introduction. Putting the idea out there before figuring out whether to dive completely in or not.

That's kind of what I'm saying, they didn't really have a choice and a $250 PSP Go was the best deal they could come up with for retailer's sake.

Tiktaalik

Stumpokapow said:
so this is SCEA officially admitting that the Go is a lost cause and we should stick with the 3000?

Yeah I'm really confused. Hey SCEA I already have a PSP 1000 and I'm not upgrading. I would consider buying a PSPGo but you're not giving me any reason to.

wtf???????

gerg

SamBishop said:
The one where it's outsold the Xbox and GameCube combined? PSP hardware has done gangbusters; it's the software that's been something of an issue.

Historically its LTD is certainly respectable, but selling 120k a month (in America) isn't very good at all.

Top Bottom