• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA announces Limited Edition Gran Turismo PSP Entertainment Pack

Gamecocks625 said:
Cosmetic and more built-in storage, but yeah. If the PSP 3000 wasn't such an unappealing form factor to me, I'd jump over this deal. No doubt this is a good deal for those who want the UMD PSP. It definitely is strange that the PSPgo doesn't come bundled with something more than Rock Band Lite. I'd figure a movie download voucher or a free Minis download. Strange...very strange.

Bundles are normally used to spike sales of existing systems. With the PSPgo being a new system, they must think that the early adopters will buy it without a built in bundle.

I can't get too comfortable playing a portable which is not black or has black around the screen, to me it takes my eyes away from the picture because it's so bright.

This pack is going to sell most of the left over 3000 models to make space for the rumoured 4000 :p

Choc

Banned
Anyone else in Australia noticed EBGames is not displaying PSPGo in stores or on the site.

they've been very picky with what they stock recently and it looks like its NoGo in EB, which would be just HUGE.

In comparison the second the Slim was announced for PS3 price and date was on the site.

I will laugh so hard if EB refuses to stock it, and it wouldn't surprise me considering its a 'one-off' purchase from EB realy, no returning sales.

I can't believe how fucking stupid this is.

cheaper hardware with a free game that all signs point to being awesome, while the Go doesn't even get a full game packed in with it?

Sony, you are seriously making me reconsider buying a Go.

Syckx

This assures that I won't buy a PSP this year. I had a Go preordered, but Sony is sending some really mixed signals here. I won't buy a 3000 because it's ugly as sin, huge, and I hate the UMD format. I'll wait until Sony actually demonstrates that they are committed to the Go.

gtj1092

I was under the impression that the PsPgo and the PsP played the same games. I don't see how a game being bundle with the 3000 affects weather or not you are going to purchase a GO.

Drek

Syckx said:
This assures that I won't buy a PSP this year. I had a Go preordered, but Sony is sending some really mixed signals here. I won't buy a 3000 because it's ugly as sin, huge, and I hate the UMD format. I'll wait until Sony actually demonstrates that they are committed to the Go.
Sony can't get truly committed to the Go. Increasing success of the PSP requires help from retailers at this point, and retailers hate the idea of systems going digital distro.

The Go is Sony's foray into a digital distro platform where they can try out what does and does not work, primarily what can protect it from being hacked and another "OMG, FREE GAIMEZ!" pirate love-in. It will not be the headline version of the PSP line unless it greatly outperforms expectations.

gtj1092 said:
I was under the impression that the PsPgo and the PsP played the same games. I don't see how a game being bundle with the 3000 affects weather or not you are going to purchase a GO.

Joke post?

Iknos

gtj1092 said:

Plus the GO has a smaller screen.

Could someone clear me up on this...isn't GO just a UMD-less PSP with bluetooth capability and a smaller formfactor?

Can't the regular PSP's use the PlayStation Store to buy games too?

Syckx

gtj1092 said:

Not even going to dignify it... (damn)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'd love to buy the umd version especially for the boxart but since I know sometime down the line I will buy a psp go, I will have to buy the DD version. Sony should sell the download voucher in the case.

Iknos said:
Plus the GO has a smaller screen.

Could someone clear me up on this...isn't GO just a UMD-less PSP with bluetooth capability and a smaller formfactor?

Can't the regular PSP's use the PlayStation Store to buy games too?

Go doesn't have UMD. It has 16gb of memory, bluetooth, is more portable and costs $80 more than a psp 3000, which has UMD drive, does not have any built in memory or bluetooth, and is bigger in size.

LiK

H_Prestige said:
Go doesn't have UMD. It has 16gb of memory, bluetooth, is more portable and costs $80 more than a psp 3000, which has UMD drive, does not have any built in memory or bluetooth, and is bigger in size.

GO has no removeable battery as well.

MrDaravon

Well this is really bizarre. I have no fucking idea what Sony wants to do here. I'm also in a holding pattern since we still have a PSP-1000; I'd held off for the rumored new PSP, which turned out to be the Go which still has not provided a resolution for my UMD library that I'm aware of. Now there's rumors of a UMD PSP-4000 still coming at some point, and they're still putting out new PSP-3000 stuff. I don't even know what to fucking do at this point, I keep stalling because it seems like as soon as I buy one they'll announce a new one or something :lol

SailorDaravon said:
Well this is really bizarre. I have no fucking idea what Sony wants to do here. I'm also in a holding pattern since we still have a PSP-1000; I'd held off for the rumored new PSP, which turned out to be the Go which still has not provided a resolution for my UMD library that I'm aware of. Now there's rumors of a UMD PSP-4000 still coming at some point, and they're still putting out new PSP-3000 stuff. I don't even know what to fucking do at this point, I keep stalling because it seems like as soon as I buy one they'll announce a new one or something :lol

GO isn't going to replace 3000. There will be a psp 4000 next year, and probably a 5000 at some point as well. You don't need to buy the GO.

SailorDaravon said:

I know you said it's only rumored, but what will the 4000 offer that's better than the 3000?

SailorDaravon said:
Well this is really bizarre. I have no fucking idea what Sony wants to do here.

I think Sony wants to sell PSP's. Why is it so hard to understand that Sony wants to promote both models of the PSP? Did you people really expect Sony to stop promoting the PSP-3000 model? Do you get this confused when MS has some sort of 360 arcade bundle or promotion?

outunderthestars said:
I think Sony wants to sell PSP's. Why is it so hard to understand that Sony wants to promote both models of the PSP? Did you people really expect Sony to stop promoting the PSP-3000 model? Do you get this confused when MS has some sort of 360 arcade bundle or promotion?

It's not hard to understand why Sony would want to promote both models of the PSP. It's hard to understand why they are only promoting one.

outunderthestars said:

No, no. That can't be it. There has to be another reason. Something... else.....hmmm *sits back and puffs on a pipe*

;)

xS1TH L0RDx said:
It's not hard to understand why Sony would want to promote both models of the PSP. It's hard to understand why they are only promoting one.

This bundle isn't really a promotion, as it is a replacement for last October's Ratchet & Clank bundle. Sony has been doing this for years now, to avoid having to actually offer a price drop on the hardware.

I imagine Sony will have a large marketing push for the PSPgo as we get closer to the system's release....

gtj1092

xS1TH L0RDx said:
Joke post?

How? Do the PsP and PsPGO not play the same games. Is GTPsP not getting released digitally. If GO doesn't take off do think they are going to stop distributing games digitally?

I own a 3000 and havent made a UMD purchase in over a year. I get my games off PSN. I don't understand the hub bub. I think some people just like to complain.

Iknos

H_Prestige said:

So why buy a GO and deny myself the ability to play the entire PSP UMD catalog of games?

Is the built in memory any faster than the memory sticks you use in the PSP 3000? Is the memory speed difference that big to warrant making a new machine?

Massa

Iknos said:
So why buy a GO and deny myself the ability to play the entire PSP UMD catalog of games?

Is the built in memory any faster than the memory sticks you use in the PSP 3000? Is the memory speed difference that big to warrant making a new machine?

The form factor and the fact that you could have up to 32Gb of data on it (16Gb + memory stick) are big factors.

So you save like $10-$20 with this pack, seems like a great incentive for the PSP original.

Go was never going to replace the originals, never was, never will be, especially with that DD only stuff. If they did I would have told them to go fuck themselves.

Iknos said:

You don't have to buy the Go. If playing games on UMD is your thing, then the Go is not for you. Simple is that.

fernoca

The same PlayStation Store that you can acces on a PSPGo to buy Gran Turismo, can also be accessed through a PSP-3000 and buy the same game...

I'm not saying that "one" >>>>> "the other one"...just that some people seem to act as if by owning a '3000' you can't get the digital copy of GT, instead you're forced to buy an UMD copy...

depward

That pic is funny cos they never include cases with packed-in bundled games. Ah well.

It's seriously Sony taking one step forward and two steps back. PSPGo, so awesome! PSP-3000 GT bundle? Huh?

MrDaravon

H_Prestige said:
GO isn't going to replace 3000. There will be a psp 4000 next year, and probably a 5000 at some point as well. You don't need to buy the GO.

Yeah, but I'd LIKE to, but the fact that they seem to be all over the place with what they're doing is concerning.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I know you said it's only rumored, but what will the 4000 offer that's better than the 3000?

UMD Drive. Really I have two main issues with getting a Go, the first being the price. Second I have a fairly sizable PSP UMD-catalog I want to work on, and as far as I know we still have no idea how/if we're going to be able to transfer that stuff. It's almost like imagine you have a DS fat, you're looking at upgrading to a DSlite, but then there's also a sweet new DS that's download only, and at the same time there's rumors the DSi is coming.

outunderthestars said:

That's not really a fair comparison; obviously they're going to support both and they've said as much. However here they're basically offering DIRECT competition to themselves by putting out a bundled unit of the 3000 with a super hot PSP title that they're also pushing on the Go at the system's, at the same time. Short or long term I don't see how that makes sense for them. To use your example it would be similar to if you had an Arcade unit and was looking at the Pro, but then they just announced an Elite price drop, and this whole time there's rumors of a 250 gig system coming.

I've got to imagine this is some sort of retailer concession maybe?

jaydogg691

Man another Sliver PSP. Guess I'll have to wait for the Ass Creed bundle.

GamePnoy74 said:
If you're gonna announce a GT PSP bundle at least make the PSP like this:

white-psp.JPG
I remember when I saw this PSP I was thought that GT PSP release was around he corner. :lol

Man, I've always wanted that PSP.

Iknos

H_Prestige said:
You don't have to buy the Go. If playing games on UMD is your thing, then the Go is not for you. Simple is that.

I like the option of both...someone mentioned earlier the 3000 can buy games from the PlayStation store as well. So it seems that the 3000 is the best choice for me but also a lot of people who want to get the most out of the PSP.

The only appealing advantage of the GO is that it's smaller. I can get the same effect of a hard drive with a large memory card.

Goes to show that the PSP is a pretty complete system there aren't many ways you can make it better.

I saw a 16Gb stick for $50 so for $250 I can get a PSP with 16Gb and GT. For a person in my position the 3000 makes a lot more sense than the GO.

If the GO had a touchscreen or gyroscopic sensors like the iPhone I'd view it in a whole different light. That way you don't have to open it completely but you can watch movies on there and surf the web with the touch of your finger.

I could see the appeal in something like that.

billy.sea

Banned
I like how they take out the White Chevrolet from the retail game and put it separately as a downloadable code and call it a 'deal'.

billy.sea said:
I like how they take out the White Chevrolet from the retail game and put it separately as a downloadable code and call it a 'deal'.

?

They didn't take anything out. Instead of earning all of the credits to buy the car, you have a voucher to go ahead and download it right from the start.

The "deal" is that it saves you a butt-load of time and effort.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SamBishop said:
The one where it's outsold the Xbox and GameCube combined? PSP hardware has done gangbusters; it's the software that's been something of an issue.
Gangbusters ? Dont kid yourself....it is doing just fine compared to the main-competition (ds)

The UK will also be getting a GT PSP bundle

A rep told us: "There will be a GT bundle for the UK but it's different to the US one," which is out on October 20 for $199.99, and comes with a 'Mystic Silver' PSP-3000 system; Gran Turismo game on UMD; PlayStation Network downloadable movie voucher (title to be announced); a 2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo; and a music voucher good for 10 downloadable songs from Sony Music Pass.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222617

Details are suppose to come some time next week.

outunderthestars said:
I am a happy guy! It's the standard silver model, but was hard to pass up at the price (had a $75 promo towards video game systems)

Ah good deal. It would have been nice for it to be a white or black PSP, but still, great deal.

Top Bottom