• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA does it again - Syberia 2 rejected for PS2, now moved to Xbox instead!

segasonic

Syberia II ventures onto Xbox

Rejected by SCEA, Microids' adventure sequel sets off to explore Microsoft's console.
Today, French-Canadian developer Microids announced that it had shipped Syberia II for the Xbox. Available on the PC since March, the game is also available for the PlayStation 2 in Europe. However, due to the adventure genre's lukewarm popularity stateside, the game was reportedly not approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America for a US release.

Unsurprisingly, Microids president Emmanuel Olivier disagrees with that assessment. "Playing this PC favourite adventure game on a console is a completely new experience, he said. "The adventure genre is gaining steam in the Xbox console market and, without any doubt, will attract a larger audience."

Published by XS Games, Syberia II follows the same plotline as its PC cousin. As outlined in GameSpot's review of that edition, the game once again follows heroine and one-time lawyer Kate Walker as she explores "four expansive and enchanting imaginary lands set across Europe in rich and realistically detailed 3D environments," according to Microids. The game is rated "T" for Teen and retails for $19.99.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/12/news_6110387.html

WTF? Hey SCEA, how about you let gamers decide which games they want to play!

jarrod

Banned
SCEA actually revoked DreamCatcher/The Adventure Company's PS2 license over some dispute. This was their game originally iirc, so it's likely 'tainted'.

Unsurprisingly, Microids president Emmanuel Olivier disagrees with that assessment.

Oh no! Don't piss off Emmanuel Olivier! DOOM!!! DOOM!!

JK, I agree that SCEA is a little questionable with what gets approved and what doesn't. But, given that it's not a 2D retro game, it's probably complete crap.

WarPig

This isn't an anti-2D or anti-adventure thing, it's presumably an anti-completely-untouched-old-PC-game-port thing. Kinda like the Soul Hackers beef.

DFS.

pilonv1

Both games are quite enjoyable adventure games, and better than the majority of third party shit on either systems.

segasonic

WarPig said:
This isn't an anti-2D or anti-adventure thing, it's presumably an anti-completely-untouched-old-PC-game-port thing. DFS.

I must have missed that, when Half-Life, Deus Ex and Max Payne were ported (=butchered) on PS2

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
This isn't an anti-2D or anti-adventure thing, it's presumably an anti-completely-untouched-old-PC-game-port thing. Kinda like the Soul Hackers beef.

DFS.
But they're only charging $19.99. What's the harm on old ports if they're discounted?

segasonic

562371_20040319_screen001.jpg

562371_20040319_screen002.jpg

562371_20040319_screen008.jpg

562371_20030806_screen006.jpg

syberia_screen041.jpg

segasonic

If this is an old-pc-port-thing, then why was Broken Sword 3 not published on PS2 in North America? All versions were finished at the same time, but the PS2 version was only released in Europe.

=W=

Syberia 2? You mean the game that should have been the second half of Syberia 1?

/bitterness at non-ending

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SCEA actually revoked DreamCatcher/The Adventure Company's PS2 license over some dispute. This was their game originally iirc, so it's likely 'tainted'.
What he said. I'd love to know what went wrong there.

For the same reason, Broken Sword 3 was not released on the PS2 in the US (Dreamcatcher was the US publisher for the game) I was reading an interview with BS3's director and he said there's still hope... In any case, the Euro version works on the US console with some patching and installing to HDD, so I don't care :)

cvxfreak

IGN Message Boards:

sonycowboy (IGN Forums) said:
Post of the Day: Sly 2: Second Best Sequel
This game truly deserves all of the great scores it's gotten. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get this game. I know Katamari Damacy is the current "respect me" game from everyone here, but as fun as that game is, I wouldn't put it in the same league as Sly.
--Sonycowboy

Sonycowboy is teh famous

Mashing

Ahh, adventure games... this gives me an excuse to say I can't wait for all the awesome adventure games that will come out for the DS. The perfect system besides the PC for games of that nature.

Oh, and why does SCEA even bother denying games... does it really cost them much at all? They're a fucking multibillion dollar corporation and they do shit like that...

Agent X

Wasn't there a major bug in the Woody Woodpecker game that Dreamcatcher made for PS2, that prevented you from completing one of the early levels in the game?

FightyF

Banned
Ahh, adventure games... this gives me an excuse to say I can't wait for all the awesome adventure games that will come out for the DS. The perfect system besides the PC for games of that nature.

Holy crap, I've never thought of that!

I used to be a DS hater...and I will remain one until I see a handful of adventure games that actually do this. :)

Catalyst

Banned
How's the first game, actually? I've seen good reviews for it...and it's actually 1080i from what I hear. Is it worth the $10-$15 pricetag I've been seeing? It's kind of funny how I was thinking about this game today and a thread popped up about it on GAF. Weird.

Catalyst

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
If that's not a sign, I don't know what it ;)
I've been meaing to pick up this game, too. Maybe there's a part in the game, maybe a conversation or some type of sequence that'll have a direct effect on my life and possibly influence the future of mankind?!

WarPig said:

DFS.

Why is Sony being blamed here. When the label says Only on Xbox it usually means Microsoft had their hands in it.

Insertia

Based on the two reviews the Xbox version recieved so far it has averaged 56%.
More then likely the PC-to-PS2 port didn't meet quality standards and was rejected.

Catalyst

Banned
seismologist said:
Why is Sony being blamed here. When the label says Only on Xbox it usually means Microsoft had their hands in it.
Well, Sony did let DRIV3R on the PS2. Then they didn't let Syberia 2. There's something wrong there, buddy.

Elios83

Luckily SCEE does not act the same way as SCEA and Pal gamers can enjoy their PS2 version of Syberia,Broken Sword etc
But honestly I don't understand SCEA's policy.....they approve a lot of trash and they reject really good games because they belong to a genre they believe doesn't appeal to americans? ^_^''..... odd at least.....

Link316

Banned
Elios83 said:
But honestly I don't understand SCEA's policy.....they approve a lot of trash and they reject really good games because they belong to a genre they believe doesn't appeal to americans? ^_^''..... odd at least.....

XS Games is #1 on Sony's shitlist cause of the Mobile Light Force covers

Catalyst said:
I've been meaing to pick up this game, too. Maybe there's a part in the game, maybe a conversation or some type of sequence that'll have a direct effect on my life and possibly influence the future of mankind?!
Syberia (II)= Life Changing Experience!

seismologist said:
Not true. Games that get denied on certain consoles may become 'exclusive' by default but that "Only on" is nothing more than a marketing ploy, if it's not 1st party. No money or favors need to exchange hands for that little corner tag.

Takuan

How well did Syberia do on the Xbox? I see it on ebgames for 9.99. Syberia 2 is 19.99. I don't imagine the game would've sold very well on the PS2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What a misleading thread title.

The game wasn't "moved" to Xbox, its already out on Xbox, the PS2 was getting a port of it, that port was cancelled.

teiresias

Geez, just buy the damn thing for the PC, it's not like it's a graphically taxing game in the first place. I shudder at the thought of playing this game without a mouse anyway given the sometimes cursor-hunt the thing turns into on occasion.

Top Bottom