• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshot for an early build of Bioshock 4 reportedly leaked

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • From a 2021 reel
  • Seems to use time-based abilities
  • Shows a Ricochet Shotgun
The image below is from an early demo build of the game featured in a 2021 showcase reel, and you can see the “Parkside” codename in it. Parkside was first referenced by Bloomberg’s ever-reliable Jason Schreier back in 2019 and was corroborated by Colin Moriarty in 2021, stating, “It takes place in a 1960s Antarctic city called Borealis. [The game’s] codenamed ‘Parkside’… I’ve been told that the development team has incredible latitude to get it right.” To add more weight to the Parkside rumor, a big Epic Games Store leak happened last month, which also referenced the project as possibly in development.

ti0OL7P.jpeg

Source via MP1ST

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don't know why... Every time I see the word Bioshock... It makes me nauseous. I liked Infinite only because of the main characters. The franchise is not for me apparently.

Wildebeest

Bioshock focussed very successfully in creating an interesting game world, in many details top to bottom, which is a very underrated thing in gaming. Unfortunately, it did not follow through in some ways in terms of having the same sort of level design that gave you a sense of place as something like Dark Souls or Shadow of the Colossus. Although it didn't need to be an open world, it didn't need to be so linear. Prey was superior.

MrRibeye

The LB + RB could mean that we can combine plasmids and discover new interactions between them by combining various plasmids with each other, and more elaborate than it was in Bioshock 2 previously.
sYzPWX.jpg

And I believe that this is a lighthouse:
oVSFvl.jpg

The retro futurism of the 1960s heavily features white ovals and arcs, and I suspect this screenshot above is a lighthouse, which is of course incredibly important to the alternative timelines and universes lore of Bioshock.
Retro-Futurism.jpg

Last edited:
With the white UI, Atomic Heart is the first thing that came to my head

This is not necessarily a bad thing but I don't think it's a good thing either.

Hypereides

Gold Member
It's something from 3 years ago that was leaked. Do you really expect finalised assets and UI?
You have a fair point. Do you expect it to be radically different though? Have you seen the current trend in AAA UI?

Personally, I don't expect any major difference between this and the finalized version. Its an AAA studio. They'll probably bank on something "safe", drab and inoffensive akin to this.

Perrott

It's something from 3 years ago that was leaked. Do you really expect finalised assets and UI?
Back then, the game was scheduled to come out in about 18 months, so I'd guess what we're seeing here was fairly representative of the direction they were going for, at least when it comes to the UI which seems to follow similar design philosophies as to that of Mafia III from Hangar 13, the team from where Cloud Chamber spun-off.

Either way, they fired pretty much the entire project leadership sometime in early 2022, so the game has likely gone through at least one reboot since then.

Skifi28

You have a fair point. Do you expect it to be radically different though? Have you seen the current trend in AAA UI?

Personally, I don't expect any major difference between this and the finalized version. Its an AAA studio. They'll probably bank on something "safe", drab and inoffensive akin to this.
If it's something that was shown officially I also wouldn't expect much difference. Considering it was leaked and not something that was shared by the devs though, nothing should be viewed as final. Much like the GTA VI or Wolverine leaks of late where some people were amazed at how rough aspects of the games looked. Well duh, games under development are pretty rough until stuff starts getting finalised close to release.

Bioshock is overrated

Fight me

Muhammad Ali Boxing GIF
No no, the series became overrated. Total agreement. Infinite is a grand work of self fellatio by the lead writers with underbaked concepts presented like high art that goes off the rails especially in the dlc.

Much like any and all legacy series getting a new installment in modern day, I have zero faith in it aside from the fact that even the aforementioned shoddy writing of Infinite will take a nose dive.

But hey, we may get an opemworld Rapture with a batttttttttllllllleeeeeeppppppasssssssssssssss every season. You like that gamers, don't you? Who wants the mindless content updates?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sterile UI would be fine, the top left is so garish and dumb looking like some talentless indie riff on Monster Hunter health bars or something.

Last edited:

Smether

Seems likely at this point as there were rumors of a Bioshock show or movie recently also. Ideally you have a product in each category and let them boost each other. Interesting to think what if one is ready before the other?

peronmls

Why are we not stylizing UI anymore? Why does it have to be lines? Is this so graphic designers can do less work? I don't understand.

RyRy93

I can’t believe how half the thread is people bitching about the UI when the game is nowhere near finished and the image is 3 years old

Last edited:

Laptop1991

i would like to see a lot more than 1 screenshot, i'm a big fan of all 3 Bioshock's, it's long overdue for a new one and i''m hyped for Judas as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I miss the BioShock franchise. It had some very interesting dystopian ideas. It was full of exploration and escapism. The screenshot reminds me 2017’s Prey.

Top Bottom