• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw Eric Mylonas and the Prima that publishes him.

BuddyC

Now, I rarely buy strategy guides. There are exceptions, as always. Take Shin Megami Tensei for example, you almost need the guide if you're serious about the game. And it's a great guide, packed to the brim with info and extras and just a very impressive effort.

So I bought Dead or Alive: Ultimate today. Now, I always get the DOA guides. I know, I know, they're simple shallow fighting games, but I just like to have a graphical representation of the moves in front of me. Sometimes I'll stop playing DOA for months, and then I'll pick it back up again and use the guide to help me get back into the groove.

Since DOA:U includes DOA1 and 2, I thought the guide would do more than just say "Hey, they included DOA1 as a freebie with Ultimate!" and "Look, for every character we're going to put pictures of them pulling off one DOA1 move and not even bother to explain what it is or how to do it."

I'm not exacly expecting world class literature here, but it'd be nice if, you know, the guide actually covered the game it advertises on the cover.

BuddyC

Alright, this is actually pretty fucking ridiculous. I just noticed that the back cover promises a "Complete costume gallery" and "A look into the future of Dead or Alive." Odd, I can't seem to find those anywhere in the guide. It also doesn't tell you how to unlock the three additional characters, but whatever.

From what I've heard of the guide publishing biz, Prima deserves a good share of the blame, but if you want to see something worse, BuddyC, check out his Pokemon Fr/Lg guides.

BuddyC

Goddamnit. I'm gonna pull a goodcow here and call up Prima on Monday.

I really didn't have any qualms with the DOA2: Hardcore or DOA3 guides, but this is pathetic.

Vormund

BuddyChrist83 said:
Goddamnit. I'm gonna pull a goodcow here and call up Prima on Monday.

I really didn't have any qualms with the DOA2: Hardcore or DOA3 guides, but this is pathetic.

Let us know how it goes. :)

MoxManiac

On a related note, anyone know how the Star Ocean 3 Brady guide is? I checked it out at Blockbuster; fucking thing is huge. Almost the size of SMT's guide, but full sized pages. Wondered if it was 300-400 pages of actual info or 300-400 of brady games crap.

Belfast

logo-gamego.gif

:O

Man, I still have my one and only issue of the mag laying around in a box somewhere. It actually wasn't that bad, but I still really feel sorry for ECM's "partners" that got fucked over big time in the production of this failed publication.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
double jump books are the best guides in america.

its still to bad that no fighting games get decent guides in america (sans that recent sf3 guide). Stuff that is up on the same level as the official VF4 books and stuff like the EVO green book need to get released here. how do companies expect to have serious fighting games when all the guides show are basic combos so people can mash all day?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
MoxManiac said:
On a related note, anyone know how the Star Ocean 3 Brady guide is? I checked it out at Blockbuster; fucking thing is huge. Almost the size of SMT's guide, but full sized pages. Wondered if it was 300-400 pages of actual info or 300-400 of brady games crap.

Half and Half

Parts of the guide are just incomplete, some of the maps just lack info or don't even connect.
However the invention info is pretty good with the exception of a few mistakes. Overall decent guide, did not need to be that long.

BuddyC

Well, that was saddeningly easy.

Me: "Hi, I'm calling to complain about a strategy guide I purchased over the weekend."
Rep: "What seems to be the problem?"
Me: "The guide only covers half of the game."
Rep: "Well, we only have so much room in a strategy guide."
Me: "Then why are there features listed on the back, such as a costume gallery and a look into the future of the series, that aren't even included in the guide itself?"
Rep: "...what's the ISBN number for this guide? (I read it off) Okay, well, you may want to check out website, located at www.primagames.com, to see if any additional information has been posted there."
Me: "Well, then can you please explain why I spent $15 on an incomplete guide that requires me to go to your free website to get all of the promised content?"
Rep: "If you'd like sir, I can offer you a full refund."

Soul4ger

BuddyChrist83 said:
Well, that was saddeningly easy.

Me: "Hi, I'm calling to complain about a strategy guide I purchased over the weekend."
Rep: "What seems to be the problem?"
Me: "The guide only covers half of the game."
Rep: "Well, we only have so much room in a strategy guide."
Me: "Then why are there features listed on the back, such as a costume gallery and a look into the future of the series, that aren't even included in the guide itself?"
Rep: "...what's the ISBN number for this guide? (I read it off) Okay, well, you may want to check out website, located at www.primagames.com, to see if any additional information has been posted there."
Me: "Well, then can you please explain why I spent $15 on an incomplete guide that requires me to go to your free website to get all of the promised content?"
Rep: "If you'd like sir, I can offer you a full refund."

Haha, that's just dandy!

BuddyC

The problem here is to get my refund (I can't return it to the store as it was shrinkwrapped) I need to send it to Prima, which could very well end up costing me half of my refund. I'll call back later and complain more.

Top Bottom