• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You really should be looking for power banks with USB-C ports and using USB-C to USB-C cables, especially if you're buying new. Even if USB-A ports can charge while in use and increase charge, USB-C will be more and more common going forward.

With power banks you can expect about 1 hour of playtime per 2,000 mAh (give or take depending on how taxing the game is, brightness, etc). So 10,000 mAh would give around 5 extra hours, and 20,000 mAh around 10, and so on.

The Anker powercore 20100 from amazon uk was £28.99 and I got £5 because I bought a USB C cable at the same time. The powercore 20100+ was £45.99 so pretty much double the price.

Most of my stuff is micro USB or lightning for charging so 2x2.4A sockets is good for me and enough to not justify the more expensive version

USB c might be 'better' but it's also still a bit of a mess

Lexxism

Order the one below based on recommendations from the thread. Wrong one?

Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
No, that should be good. It has an output of 5v/2.4a which will definitely work on switch. I just don't know if it comes with USB to USB-c cable tho.

Edit: yep, it doesn't. Need to buy one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6F3WHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No, that should be good. It has an output of 5v/2.4a which will definitely work on switch. I just don't know if it comes with USB to USB-c cable tho.

Edit: yep, it doesn't. Need to buy one.

Thanks for the heads up. Adding one to my cart....well, any recommendations??

DavidDesu

Anyone know of any right angled USBC connectors that are really slimline. I want to play in bed while charging but the included USBC cable has rather a long looking bulky connector that looks maybe an inch long.

Are there any very slimline right angled adapters you can buy, or indeed cables with a slim right angled connector so I can plug it into the bottom with minimum bulk?

insanexer

Just got my switch pro controller in and it came with a really nice usb type c cable. So, if you got the pro don't order a cable unless you just want an extra.

popokarimu

Neo Member
If anyone has AMEX Reward Points there is a deal on Amazon right now for $25 off a $50+ order. I used it to grab the 200GB Sandisk sd card for $45 instead of $70, and the code worked for me using $0.10 worth of points.

Slickdeals page for the code

DXXJnzn.png

I have a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I got both my Anker USB in-wall power port 2 charger and Powercore + 20100. The latter did not come with any documentation.

Are the IQ ports what I use to output power to charge device (phone, Switch etc)? The C is input to charge the Powercore itself?

It comes with a USB-A to USB-C, correct?

Just got mine in today. This is Correct.

I have a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I got both my Anker USB in-wall power port 2 charger and Powercore + 20100. The latter did not come with any documentation.

Are the IQ ports what I use to output power to charge device (phone, Switch etc)? The C is input to charge the Powercore itself?

Just got mine in today. This is Correct.

The USB-C port can both charge the battery and output power. I think I read that for it to output power you have to hold the power button for a few seconds or something, though.

Socreges

Banned
So I own a slightly older Aukey power bank, the PB-N15. Do we know enough to say whether or not USB C to USB A with 3.1A output would be pretty good for charging while playing?

PowerIQ is just Anker's branding for normal USB-A at 2.4A. The device itself can charge by the USB-C connection. You just hook it up to charge, and when you want to use it to charge something else you hit the circle first so the lights come on

So I got my Switch now and am playing Zelda while plugged into my battery bank and it IS charging! Can't say exactly how fast, not really measuring my time right now as all I care about is if it will charge period. And it does!

For reference, the battery I got is this one from RAVpower which outputs 5V/3A using this USB-C cable. I can't say whether a USB-A to C cable will work or not as I don't have one (the battery does come with an adapter, but I don't want to risk using it since the Google guy hasn't tested it.)

Also, while at Best Buy I checked the car adapter they were selling and yes, it too outputs 5V/3A.

Edit: I may have spoke too soon, the charge keeps stopping when I'm not even playing Zelda. Noticed it while I had it in sleep mode and the screen kept turning on as the charge dropped. Not sure what's up with this...

Yeah, it's possible that my battery bank may actually be drained. I hadn't realized but when I hit the button it only flashes one light. Gonna charge it overnight and see if it works better in the morning, otherwise it's possible my cable might be faulty.

RockmanBN

Can confirm that the Anker Powercore+ 20100mAh power bank works while playing Zelda. While in use with a USBC to USBC connnection the Switch charges very slowly but charged more than it drains.

sadromeo

Can confirm that the Anker Powercore+ 20100mAh power bank works while playing Zelda. While in use with a USBC to USBC connnection the Switch charges very slowly but charged more than it drains.

Thanks for the update. What does it output? 5V/2.4a?

I think it's definitely that my battery was flat that was causing me problems, I let it charge up a bit before plugging the Switch back in while playing Zelda more and it seemed to stay connected. Whoops, hadn't realized I had run it flat all ready. May not have fully charged it when I got it...

sadromeo

I think it's definitely that my battery was flat that was causing me problems, I let it charge up a bit before plugging the Switch back in while playing Zelda more and it seemed to stay connected. Whoops, hadn't realized I had run it flat all ready. May not have fully charged it when I got it...

I'll be curious to know if it charges the Switch when you have it fully charged. I have been waiting to get a portable charger. I really want a charger I can use to extend play time as much as possible. Thanks for the updates.

I picked up a Ravpower 20100 mah usbc QC3 bank

And anker usb c to usb c cable as well as anker usb a to usb c cable.

I also have an anker QC 3.0 charger (for the battery pack and my cell phone)

I'll give this a test on both the usb c and a port (non QC port) tomorrow and post my luck.

I noticed this one only does 12v, but there's a non QC3 model (not available in Canada of course) that does 15v. Not sure if it will matter, so far seems like the main thing is the 5v 2.4-3A range.

any advice for amazon.fr? Or anything in France? I need another AC adapter and the official one doesn't seem to be in stock anymore...

I'm a bit of an amateur with this USB-C stuff so I have a quick question if someone can help. All I want is a USB C wall charger for the Switch that isn't the official Nintendo one. I'm going to get the 6ft Anker cable some folks in here have been suggesting, but do I also need a specific power brick to go into the wall? Not sure what I should be looking for.

japtor

I picked up a Ravpower 20100 mah usbc QC3 bank

And anker usb c to usb c cable as well as anker usb a to usb c cable.

I also have an anker QC 3.0 charger (for the battery pack and my cell phone)

I'll give this a test on both the usb c and a port (non QC port) tomorrow and post my luck.

I noticed this one only does 12v, but there's a non QC3 model (not available in Canada of course) that does 15v. Not sure if it will matter, so far seems like the main thing is the 5v 2.4-3A range.
QC3 isn't USB-C compliant so it shouldn't go beyond the regular 2.4A, getting higher power QC shouldn't do anything (and if it does it might be bad and fry something). What you're looking for with higher power (i.e. 15V) is USB Power Delivery, that's the official spec for USB-C beyond 5V.

(I've read people saying QC4 is USB Power Delivery compliant but I'm not sure what the timetable on that is.)
I'm a bit of an amateur with this USB-C stuff so I have a quick question if someone can help. All I want is a USB C wall charger for the Switch that isn't the official Nintendo one. I'm going to get the 6ft Anker cable some folks in here have been suggesting, but do I also need a specific power brick to go into the wall? Not sure what I should be looking for.
No clue if anyone's tested that stuff yet, but the official charger is 2.6A/15V, or 39W, and keep in mind that's a single port. A lot of listings add up cumulative output, like a five port charger with 2.4A/5V or 12W/port might be listed as 60W.

Anyway you're looking for USB-C charger that does USB Power Delivery at 15V, and I guess 3A? At that output I'd avoid cheap alternatives, like there's a RAVpower one that's known to be faulty (it can't actually output what it communicates) and can fry itself or the device. If you're looking to save money...the official one is probably the best bet actually. If you want a different form factor, be vigilant about checking the reviews. Safest thing would be bigger power laptop power supplies but those can get costly and I'm not entirely sure they'll work (...like 3A/15V should work, but that's just a theory until people test USB-PD stuff out thoroughly).

...er a regular lower power one will work if you just want to charge at a slower rate. But the above will take 2-3 hours as it is iirc, so I'm not sure you'd want significantly slower.

No clue if anyone's tested that stuff yet, but the official charger is 2.6A/15V, or 39W, and keep in mind that's a single port. A lot of listings add up cumulative output, like a five port charger with 2.4A/5V or 12W/port might be listed as 60W.

Anyway you're looking for USB-C charger that does USB Power Delivery at 15V, and I guess 3A? At that output I'd avoid cheap alternatives, like there's a RAVpower one that's known to be faulty (it can't actually output what it communicates) and can fry itself or the device. If you're looking to save money...the official one is probably the best bet actually. If you want a different form factor, be vigilant about checking the reviews. Safest thing would be bigger power laptop power supplies but those can get costly and I'm not entirely sure they'll work (...like 3A/15V should work, but that's just a theory until people test USB-PD stuff out thoroughly).

...er a regular lower power one will work if you just want to charge at a slower rate. But the above will take 2-3 hours as it is iirc, so I'm not sure you'd want significantly slower.

Thanks for the detailed response! The main thing I was looking for was a different form factor (I detest the huge brick on the official charger), but with USB-C being a minefield and the Switch being newly released hardware, I suspect there may not be a whole lot of extensively tested stuff I would feel comfortable throwing money down on. I may just end up biting the bullet and going with the official one, as much as I hate the way it looks.

QC3 isn't USB-C compliant so it shouldn't go beyond the regular 2.4A, getting higher power QC shouldn't do anything (and if it does it might be bad and fry something). What you're looking for with higher power (i.e. 15V) is USB Power Delivery, that's the official spec for USB-C beyond 5V.

(I've read people saying QC4 is USB Power Delivery compliant but I'm not sure what the timetable on that is.)

What's the faulty RAVPower one?

Need help guys

I have fast wall charger for Samsung edge s7. It uses a regular micro USB, but is removable. Can I buy any USB -usb c cable, connect the USB head to the charger , and the other USB c head to the switch? Will that work ?

If not, which cable and charger bundle do you recommend that has been shown to work fine with the switch?

My Switch has NOT arrived yet but want to get a good microsd card for the Switch(128gb would be all I really need) so for those who already have the switch which one works good for you all..one that has a good write/read speed is recommended I guess

Just a followup but with my RAVpower actually charged now the Switch does work fine off it without the disconnects I was getting last night. It took a bit for the charging to start once I plugged it in which worried me, but after it did start charging it's been fine even through playing Zelda.

I can say with 100% certainty now that NO, you do NOT need a 15V charger for the Switch! It charges fine over 5V through a USB-C port at least, your mileage may vary with USB-A to C cables especially on Quick Charge ports, which many have said do not work. I don't know how non-QC USB-A ports will do though since I'm not sure anybody has tested that and reported back yet.

Jerm411

Anyone found a good solution for a car adapter??? Can use the cord that came with my Pro controller, don't know about an adapter though....

Just a followup but with my RAVpower actually charged now the Switch does work fine off it without the disconnects I was getting last night. It took a bit for the charging to start once I plugged it in which worried me, but after it did start charging it's been fine even through playing Zelda.

I can say with 100% certainty now that NO, you do NOT need a 15V charger for the Switch! It charges fine over 5V through a USB-C port at least, your mileage may vary with USB-A to C cables especially on Quick Charge ports, which many have said do not work. I don't know how non-QC USB-A ports will do though since I'm not sure anybody has tested that and reported back yet.

Yup I can second that, it charged my switch to 100% while Zelda was running via the usb c port and charged my Galaxy s6 with the qc3 port at the same time.

Nialrot

Anyone got a SDXC working yet or we waiting on an update?

Bought the 128GB listed in the OP but it's not showing up.

japtor

Thanks for the detailed response! The main thing I was looking for was a different form factor (I detest the huge brick on the official charger), but with USB-C being a minefield and the Switch being newly released hardware, I suspect there may not be a whole lot of extensively tested stuff I would feel comfortable throwing money down on. I may just end up biting the bullet and going with the official one, as much as I hate the way it looks.
Is it that huge? Don't have mine yet so just going off of the unboxing video a while back. If blocking adjacent plugs (rather than size itself) is a problem a ghetto fix might be a really short extension.
What's the faulty RAVPower one?
https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/e91WpjRFizs

Which kinda goes through multiple links, but basically a few clicks deep:

*Warning: do not use the +RAVPower [RP-PC018] #USB #TypeC 30w AC wall wart that is included with the 26800aH [RP-PB058-2] battery pack. ¹Don't use the [RP-PC017K] 36 AC wall charger either.*
Cool, what amperage was that, 2.4A?

I was thinking of the official one as far as dock usage and fastest charging, but just to keep it up while playing or charging overnight or extra portable charger something, a lower power one should be fine.

Top Bottom