• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Is it that huge? Don't have mine yet so just going off of the unboxing video a while back. If blocking adjacent plugs (rather than size itself) is a problem a ghetto fix might be a really short extension.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/e91WpjRFizs

Which kinda goes through multiple links, but basically a few clicks deep:

*Warning: do not use the +RAVPower [RP-PC018] #USB #TypeC 30w AC wall wart that is included with the 26800aH [RP-PB058-2] battery pack. ¹Don't use the [RP-PC017K] 36 AC wall charger either.*

Cool, what amperage was that, 2.4A?

I was thinking of the official one as far as dock usage and fastest charging, but just to keep it up while playing or charging overnight or extra portable charger something, a lower power one should be fine.

5V/3A. I am curious to see just how fast this charges compared to the official charger and if anyone has the equipment to properly measure the Switch's charging voltage on the official charger to see if it even uses 15V when handheld or if that's what the 5V output on it is for. In a few days I might see if I can test charging time, but not sure if I'll really want to do so and I'm sure someone else will probably be doing tests like that.

Zedark

So, I have been playing Zelda with reasonably low settings while charging it with my 5V/2.1A power bank, and it managed to charge thr system while doing that at a snail's pace (1 percent every 10 minutes or so). A good result in my opinion.

Jumping in here to say how pleasantly surprised I am with the official AC Adapter. I used it to charge my Switch for the first time and it's nowhere near as large as I expected it to be. I'm pretty set on just buying one for travel now.

So, I have been playing Zelda with reasonably low settings while charging it with my 5V/2.2.1A power bank, and it managed to charge thr system while doing that at a snail's pace (1 percent every 10 minutes or so). A good result in my opinion.

Yup as long as it isn't losing charge sounds like a win =)

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/e91WpjRFizs

Which kinda goes through multiple links, but basically a few clicks deep:

*Warning: do not use the +RAVPower [RP-PC018] #USB #TypeC 30w AC wall wart that is included with the 26800aH [RP-PB058-2] battery pack. ¹Don't use the [RP-PC017K] 36 AC wall charger either.

Fuck, I bought that battery pack. Is the battery pack bad or just the wall charger?

Fuuuuuck all this

Having been catching up with the thread, but, is it safe to use a super powered USB C charger like the official Google one that has 18W?

Illucio

Banned
Heads up! The popular Micro SDcard choice for the Switch the 200GB Sandisk Ultra only has 183GB on the cartridge itself. (Yay false advertising.)

However! The card does it's job and it's priced fairly well still. The $40 128GB card may be the most bang for you're buck, but if the extra 55GB interests you, the extra $25-30 to shell out for it is worth it for the most part. (That's still about 50 cents per gigabyte.)

Just felt like sharing.

jts

...hate me...
Got a 64GB micro SD off amazon(de) last week. Haven't even opened it.

Today the micro SDs on amazon went on sale so I was going to get the 128GB instead, more bang for the buck.

I file for the return and refund of my 64GB, and amazon says they will refund me without me needing to send the card back. So nothing beats the bang for the buck of FREE right? �� I'll not even order the 128GB anymore, I'm so sorry amazon. But you're awesome!

I'll deal with 64+32 for now and go straight to a 200 or 256 at a good opportunity.

The wall plug, it's only really safe to use on the battery pack anything else can make it implode basically if it draws enough power from it.

That's fine, I wasn't actually planning on using that thing anyway, I was going to charge the pack with my MBP charger

But how do we know the battery pack doesn't have the same issue of voltage miscommunication?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Having been catching up with the thread, but, is it safe to use a super powered USB C charger like the official Google one that has 18W?
Wattage is voltage x current. The current is of no concern (can under-current but cannot over-current), so what's the voltage on that charger?

TankRizzo

Banned
What's with USB C that is causing these issues?

Anyways, got myself an Anker 21000 battery and I'll be using the official pro controller cable.

What's with USB C that is causing these issues?

Anyways, got myself an Anker 21000 battery and I'll be using the official pro controller cable.

USB-C has pretty strict regulation requirements from the USB consortium since it's dealing with such high amounts of power. This means that manufacturers usually just ignore it or use faulty parts to keep costs down

TheBear

Hi guys, picked up the switch and went all out on accessories, including an official wall charger and a pro controller. Just noticed however the Pro has a USB c to type a cable, can I just use that with a regular USB wall charger (like iphone etc)?
Will it charge as quickly? Would any brand be ok or should I get a better one. The official one is still boxed and cost me $39 aud so I'd prefer to trade it in for some eshop credit and buy snipperclips :)
Cheers

TankRizzo

Banned
USB-C has pretty strict regulation requirements from the USB consortium since it's dealing with such high amounts of power. This means that manufacturers usually just ignore it or use faulty parts to keep costs down
Ah ok, gotcha. Pretty shitty that now you can't grab a cheap cable from Amazon/Monoprice without crossing your fingers that it won't fuck your shit up. I guess I'll be going official Nintendo or Anker from now on

Heads up! The popular Micro SDcard choice for the Switch the 200GB Sandisk Ultra only has 183GB on the cartridge itself. (Yay false advertising.)

However! The card does it's job and it's priced fairly well still. The $40 128GB card may be the most bang for you're buck, but if the extra 55GB interests you, the extra $25-30 to shell out for it is worth it for the most part. (That's still about 50 cents per gigabyte.)

Just felt like sharing.

Every storage media EVER has less usable space than advertised. 32GB comes out to about 29GB usable for instance, add in the Switch's OS overhead and that's why you get 25GB available on the build in memory. A 128GB card will have less available than that as well, maybe 120GB or something. This isn't a new thing.

SeanR1221

Jumping in here to say how pleasantly surprised I am with the official AC Adapter. I used it to charge my Switch for the first time and it's nowhere near as large as I expected it to be. I'm pretty set on just buying one for travel now.

Yup, I will probably buy a spare official charger

jwk94

Got a 64GB micro SD off amazon(de) last week. Haven't even opened it.

Today the micro SDs on amazon went on sale so I was going to get the 128GB instead, more bang for the buck.

I file for the return and refund of my 64GB, and amazon says they will refund me without me needing to send the card back. So nothing beats the bang for the buck of FREE right? �� I'll not even order the 128GB anymore, I'm so sorry amazon. But you're awesome!

I'll deal with 64+32 for now and go straight to a 200 or 256 at a good opportunity.
Assuming you didn't talk to customer service, they're going to charge you if you don't give it back.

tm24

Does anyone know if the charger that comes with my Pixel C is suitable for the the Switch? I see this on it

Input:100v-240v≈ 50/60hz 0.4A
Output: 5V ≈ 3A

SystemUser

Does anyone know if the charger that comes with my Pixel C is suitable for the the Switch? I see this on it

Input:100v-240v≈ 50/60hz 0.4A
Output: 5V ≈ 3A

It sounds like it outputs 15W (5v x 3A) so it should be fine for charging portable mode. The official car charger from Hori is 15W. The Pixel charger won't be strong enough for the docked mode most likely.

Bii

I didn't, but it actually said right there I didn't need to return it.

Same thing happened to me when I ordered a DVI-to-HDMI cable. It was only $6 but once I got it, I realized I didn't need it. So I tried to return it and it gave me the refund instantly and a note to keep the item and not ship it back.

Dark-VIII

Offtobics but kinda related.
Can anybody confirm if i can use ac adapter for the US Switch on 220V or is it only 110V?

110V is not common where i live unfortunately

TheBear

Hi guys, picked up the switch and went all out on accessories, including an official wall charger and a pro controller. Just noticed however the Pro has a USB c to type a cable, can I just use that with a regular USB wall charger (like iphone etc)?
Will it charge as quickly? Would any brand be ok or should I get a better one. The official one is still boxed and cost me $39 aud so I'd prefer to trade it in for some eshop credit and buy snipperclips :)
Cheers

Hi guys, sorry I know this has been answered previously however I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if those recommendations apply due to different voltages etc.

Offtobics but kinda related.
Can anybody confirm if i can use ac adapter for the US Switch on 220V or is it only 110V?

110V is not common where i live unfortunately

It's 100-240V, 50/60Hz

Hi guys, sorry I know this has been answered previously however I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if those recommendations apply due to different voltages etc.

Yes you can use the cable the Pro controller comes with, though the iPhone wall charger is only 5W, probably not enough to charge it while in use. Might be able to slow the drain, though

Is there a list of chargers that are confirmed to be able to charge portable mode while still in use?

Honestly the official one was smaller than I thought also..will consider that possibly.

EDIT: so it looks like 15W chargers should be good from what I am reading? That's good..

SystemUser

It's 100-240V, 50/60Hz

Yes you can use the cable the Pro controller comes with, though the iPhone wall charger is only 5W, probably not enough to charge it while in use. Might be able to slow the drain, though

They battery lasts for 40 hours. It is barely sipping from the battery. I bet the USB ports on the Switch are only 2.5 W like USB port on a PC

senahorse

Has anyone done any testing with SD cards yet? I am real interested to see load times for something like Zelda on an SD vs cartridge.

Nesther

Anyone know what to format the sd card to for the Switch to be able to detect it? Still hoping it's a formatting issue and not a reader issue with my Switch.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Right so I bought this microsd card for my Switch. Anyone else using this card ?

Reason I'm asking is that I've had trouble downloading the Snipperclippers demo ?  It starts downloading and then a bit of the way in it starts flashing on the home screen with an x in the download bar.  When I then click on it it says problems accessing the microsd card.  I tried testing the microsd card with taking pictures during zelda and it had no problems with/managing the screenshots etc but I know there's a big difference between that and downloading a load of data.  That's literally all I've tried so far though, I haven't bought any digital games yet.  Really hope my microsd card isn't fucked. 

Is the going to work properly with the QC port on the switch? I though Non quick charge ones are ideal for the switch or whatever the other thread was talking about, soooo confused

As far as I understand it, you don't want to use QC port for the Switch, but that power bank has a USB-C port also so that one should be OK.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong..

jts

...hate me...
Same thing happened to me when I ordered a DVI-to-HDMI cable. It was only $6 but once I got it, I realized I didn't need it. So I tried to return it and it gave me the refund instantly and a note to keep the item and not ship it back.

Yeah, nice little surprise.

Funnily enough, a couple of weeks ago I returned also a cheap Anker charging cable because it came in DOA. That one they wanted back, even though shipping costed as much as the cable itself. I guess because it was faulty, they wanted to check it out. Makes sense.

Cerium

Is there a consensus on a good USB C charger? I need one badly, preferably with a long cord and the smallest brick possible.

Top Bottom