• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

mYm|17|

Went to Leavenworth today and just got back. Nice weather today and got to stop off at some cool places on my way back to Seattle.

Also, has anybody been to Un Bien off 15th and 73rd in Ballard? The old owner of Paseo just opened up this place with the same menu as the old Paseo. Gonna check it out soon.

4VW5Hrm.jpg

o9HVG6c.jpg

FYl8L2Y.jpg

Sol1dus

Went to Leavenworth today and just got back. Nice weather today and got to stop off at some cool places on my way back to Seattle.

Also, has anybody been to Un Bien off 15th and 73rd in Ballard? The old owner of Paseo just opened up this place with the same menu as the old Paseo. Gonna check it out soon.

4VW5Hrm.jpg

o9HVG6c.jpg

FYl8L2Y.jpg

Is this the cute little (German?) town I've been hearing about?

Also, this weather man! Loving it.

I went to the Dish in Greenlake for brunch and it was pretty good. Any other recommendations for brunch places to hit up?

Some of my favorite food places are Paseo, UNeedaburger & Red Star, though I haven't tried that many yet.

I went to the Dish in Greenlake for brunch and it was pretty good. Any other recommendations for brunch places to hit up?

Butcher and Baker a couple doors down from Dish on Latona. I live in the area so we go regularly.

mYm|17|

Some of my favorite food places are Paseo, UNeedaburger & Red Star, though I haven't tried that many yet.

The bavarian town is Leavenworth. It's east of Seattle. The pics are from places on the way to Leavenworth. It's a cool little town, but it's a waste of time to just go there to see it. You may spend an hour and see everything there, but if you stop off at the national forests on the way to Leavenworth, it will be worth it.

Some good brunch places that I know of and people here have mentioned are: Witness, The Burgundian, Joule, Toulouse Petit, Rockcreek, Porkchop & co, The Fat Hen, The Butcher and the Baker, Morsel and bean. So many more, it's just really about hitting up the different neighborhoods

Chris R

I visited the Yardhouse for lunch while I was visiting this weekend. Great food and selection of beer for a small premium. Nice walkable location too. I'll go there again for sure in August when I'm back.

mYm|17|

Had lunch at Some Random Bar in belltown today. If you like beer and are feeling lucky, they have sunday funday. Waiter will flip a coin and if you can guess heads or tails, your beer will be a dollar, if you guess wrong, it's full price.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
^ They have a fantastic brisket sandwich there.

I need to get back over to Mama's one more time before they close up for good at the end of summer. It ain't classy, but that place has some of my favorite [not especially authentic] Mexican food in the area.

^ They have a fantastic brisket sandwich there.

I need to get back over to Mama's one more time before they close up for good at the end of summer. It ain't classy, but that place has some of my favorite [not especially authentic] Mexican food in the area.
Mama's is closing? That's a shame. Hopefully they put something good in that spot and don't just build more condos.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It is more condos, but on the plus side (for Mama's owner, at least) is that the developer paid him 4.5 million for the spot. o_o

dLMN8R

One thing about townhouses vs. condos if you can afford them - in Seattle there are no HOA dues on townhouses. You own the place from the ground to the ceiling.

For me it's worked out awesome since I have great neighbors, but if you have shitty neighbors it could be bad.

cdyhybrid

One thing about townhouses vs. condos if you can afford them - in Seattle there are no HOA dues on townhouses. You own the place from the ground to the ceiling.

For me it's worked out awesome since I have great neighbors, but if you have shitty neighbors it could be bad.

This is good to know. HOAs sound like such a pain in the ass to deal with.

mYm|17|

I'm the weird single-family-home owner. We're seeing lots of houses being torn down around us in favor of multiple townhouses on small plots.

Single family homes are crazy expensive compared to townhouses.
With the population of Seattle growing more and more, I can see even less single family homes out there and more condos/townhouses.

We just renewed our lease for our apartment in Ballard and kinda stopped looking for something to buy for now.

Single family homes are crazy expensive compared to townhouses.
With the population of Seattle growing more and more, I can see even less single family homes out there and more condos/townhouses.

We just renewed our lease for our apartment in Ballard and kinda stopped looking for something to buy for now.

I get why they're doing it and I'm cool with density, but it's absolutely nuts how many they're stuffing onto tiny plots of land.

I'm afraid that if we ever sold out 1932 brick Tudor, whoever buys it will just tear it down.

mYm|17|

I get why they're doing it and I'm cool with density, but it's absolutely nuts how many they're stuffing onto tiny plots of land.

I'm afraid that if we ever sold out 1932 brick Tudor, whoever buys it will just tear it down.

Yea, I totally hear ya.
Around Ballard, they got 4 to 6 townhouses on one plot of land and it's crazy how many of these are popping up.
People will still scoop these up in a heartbeat. It's insane how once they hit the market, they are sold within days.

The new ones around the corner from us in Green Lake were going for $700k and all four sold immediately. We walked through them and they're just new shiny boxes with no real character. Makes me wonder what we could get for our bigger house...

Shouta

We've gotten offers for like 20 years to buy our plot so folks can build multiple houses on it, heh. Even after we finished our house, folks were sending letters and shit, lol. Ain't budging with how the city is developing now though, lol. A house near light rail? Gonna have to make it rain money for me to even consider it slightly.

Trouble

Banned

That's not always true. Townhouses are predominantly treated as zero lot line properties, which means no HOAs, but there are townhouse communities in Seattle that do have HOAs. They are just rare.

We've gotten offers for like 20 years to buy our plot so folks can build multiple houses on it, heh. Even after we finished our house, folks were sending letters and shit, lol. Ain't budging with how the city is developing now though, lol. A house near light rail? Gonna have to make it rain money for me to even consider it slightly.

We get unsolicited offers in the mail on a regular basis. I have no intention of selling but I'm always curious what they'd offer.

We're three blocks from the Roosevelt light rail station. Gotta be a crazy offer for me to even think about it.

dLMN8R

That's not always true. Townhouses are predominantly treated as zero lot line properties, which means no HOAs, but there are townhouse communities in Seattle that do have HOAs. They are just rare.

Interesting. Definitely rare though - when my wife and I were looking ~1.5 years ago I didn't see a single townhouse listed at any price with an HOA.

Like I mentioned though, that could be a blessing or a curse. It would suck to have no HOA to cover necessary improvements if you hated all your neighbors.

Some of my good friends hoop in the parade every year. Clothed, though.

Off to Europe for two weeks on Saturday morning, so no Solstice shenanigans for me.

I've loved the weather lately, but I definitely got excited seeing rain this morning.

I guess that's Seattle for you. Complain about rain all year, ask for it back in the Summer. Repeat.

SEATTLEGAF, ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR HELL?!

88-92˚ starting this weekend, and going through all of next week. Hope ya'll got your fans ready!

dLMN8R

What are the best hikes in WA my dudes?

Note: Most of these are super-popular so you'll want to get there by 9:30AM on a weekend else parking will be a pain in the ass.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-22
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/poo-poo-point-chirico-trail
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/rattle-snake-ledge
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mount-si
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/little-si

Cougar Mountain also has a lot of nice trails: http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks/inventory/cougar.aspx

If you get to southern Washington along the border with Oregon, highly recommend you check out some of these trails:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Eagle_Creek_to_Tunnel_Falls_Hike

Top Bottom