• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna buy another Dreamcast next year and then sell the one I got. It's just so "dirty".

Have any of you tried changing the shell?

is it that difficult? paid to have mine done but there didn't seem to be any issue
Everything involving a soldering iron is a risk in my book. Of course, if you have the skills or know someone who can do it then it's a different story. But personally I don't think it's worth the risk or the money, specially when there's virtually a risk free alternative with its only downside being some extra seconds to boot an import game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, yeah, it only takes like 30 seconds to a minute, but it's still really annoying. I just want to hit the power button and go.

Somehow, I put up with swap discs for like 8 or 9 years before I just started buying Japanese systems or modding.

IrishNinja

you're right, it's troubling over VGA since my disc woudln't show up, heh

for me, i was already having the battery replaced & VGA box modded for RGB use, so it just made sense to chip it since it'd be opened anyway

Danny Dudekisser

I won't lie, though -- my Action Replay CDX that I'd been using since 2000 physically broke a couple years ago. I was legitimately sad. So many memories!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, looking at all of these Sega appreciation threads, it angers me even more than Sega has completely abandoned so many amazing franchises. The company should just close down already -- it is a shell of its former self.

I would rather they experience a financial resurgence of success than close down. They are a shell of what they used to be but a lot of that is due to the fact that they make so much less money than they used to. They just can't afford to be the Sega we all knew and loved. I still buy Sega games whenever they become available on Steam but since I don't own a modern console I can't support them there. The Dreamcast was the last console I purchased. I have a Gamecube and an Xbox too but they were both given to me by friends who were done with them.

I've often wished Nintendo and Sega would just merge into one company on one unified console, but seeing the decisions Nintendo has made over the past few years I no longer wish that. Nintendo seems far too out of touch today to do the Sega library of IP's any justice. I'd much rather Sony or Microsoft buy them today and invest enough money to make good use of the fantastic IP's that Sega has.

But, that won't ever happen, so I'll just continue to buy Sega Steam games whenever I can. As long as they are good that is. The Crazy Taxi steam version isn't worth any money, if they fixed the anaolg controls and put in the original soundtrack I'd buy it instantly just for the convenience of it.

Anth0ny

I just got a Dreamcast... with a third party controller and no VMU.

Stumbled upon this on ebay. Is it legit? It seems legit but it's a brand new controller and VMU... for the same price most loose controllers go for on ebay. Kinda too good to be true, just wanted to check with Dreamcast-GAF before pulling the trigger!

Persona7

Banned
There is a metric ton of dreamcast controllers from Europe with the blue swirl on the internet for some reason at really low prices. I bought a bunch of them last time and they were all 100% real.

I'm not sure of the VMUs are from europe as well but they are pretty cheap online for brand new ones.

Edit : it seems like the prices have risen a bit but even then it is worth it

Spades

Stumbled upon this on ebay. Is it legit? It seems legit but it's a brand new controller and VMU... for the same price most loose controllers go for on ebay. Kinda too good to be true, just wanted to check with Dreamcast-GAF before pulling the trigger!

Looks fine. For what it's worth, prices of new controllers and VMU's are cheap in the UK. A few weeks ago, I got two brand new controllers, two brand new VMU's and two brand new (third party) rumble packs in a bundle for about £15 total including shipping.

Nikodemos

I remember asking in some other Sega thread, but I didn't get an answer, so I'll try in this one (the official one) as well: are the LIR2032 rechargeables usable/worth the price? I want to get a VMU (I have a 3rd party 4x memcard, but would like to try some minigames) but not willing to burn through button cells.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Speaking of cheap controllers, I remember buying a few DC controllers for $1.98 NIB when Toys R Us was clearing them out.
that's filthy.

but even today NIB DC pads don't seem uncommon or expensive. VMUs too. why is that? are they really all leftover from 2002, or are they knockoffs?

edit lol that's what people are talking about

Anth0ny

There is a metric ton of dreamcast controllers from Europe with the blue swirl on the internet for some reason at really low prices. I bought a bunch of them last time and they were all 100% real.

I'm not sure of the VMUs are from europe as well but they are pretty cheap online for brand new ones.

Edit : it seems like the prices have risen a bit but even then it is worth it

Looks fine. For what it's worth, prices of new controllers and VMU's are cheap in the UK. A few weeks ago, I got two brand new controllers, two brand new VMU's and two brand new (third party) rumble packs in a bundle for about £15 total including shipping.

Thanks for the help! I'll grab one.

Pretty mindblowing that there are sealed controllers and VMUs still so readily available so many years after the Dreamcast was discontinued...

Danny Dudekisser

Thanks for the help! I'll grab one.

Pretty mindblowing that there are sealed controllers and VMUs still so readily available so many years after the Dreamcast was discontinued...

Seriously. I've been buying Xbox stuff recently, and accessories for that thing are a pain in the ass to get ahold of.

Jinto

I just bought 2 of these plus a VGA cable with scanline generator from the same seller. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive in Canada.

Persona7

Banned
UMFWqw2.png

Lettuce

God Damn, think the A/V connection on my DC is buggered, the colour hue seems screwed up tried 2 different scart cables and both have the same results

kimtish

Neo Member
So I'm looking for info on modding a Dreamcast.

looking to play back-ups.

Anyone have any literature for me?

Thoughts/suggestions?

KC-Slater

I just received one of these in the mail yesterday, actually. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet (long story short; the cables I need to hook up my Dreamcast aren't readily available to me right now) but I'll let you know how it goes!

So I'm looking for info on modding a Dreamcast.

looking to play back-ups.

Anyone have any literature for me?

Thoughts/suggestions?

So i hooked up my dreamcast recently via an old VGA box. On my Eizo monitor it seems to be displaying all whites in a very blue hue. Not sure if its the cable, (having tried 2 cables now) but it seems like it is probably the box. Any suggestions on what is the best VGA box to get?

FLEABttn

Banned
Didn't later dreamcast models prevent booting backups?

The only Dreamcast model I've seen that was confirmed not to work with the MIL-CD format was the Sakura Taisen model released in December of 2000 in Japan. It's possible that a special/limited edition Dreamcast in Japan released after that prevents their use as well, but certainly no model made before that one prevented their use. No model release in North America, Europe, or Australia prevented the use of MIL-CDs.

Lettuce

So fiited a region free bios to my PAL Dreamcast today....

Will be using the Hot Air Gun to remove the bios chip form the mainboard so covered the surrounding areas with kitchen foil to protect the other components on the board from the heat....

Chip took about a minute to come off....

Chipped fitted and wires soldered....

Also fitted an new internal battery holder and replaced old battery.....

A note of warning about the internal battery, you must replace it with a rechargeable battery not a standard battery, otherwise the battery will probably explode over your DC

$80 VGA box?
It has the sync combiner built in.

The Hanzo and the sync combiner separately cost more than $80.

I need both.

I never bought a Hanzo.

Therefore... good buy for me! And I think good buy for others who are just getting into 480p Dreamcastin'.

One other cool thing-- it will do 480p through the Scart connector. Yeah, I know, they say 480i only for Scart. But he confirmed it when I asked.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hmmm... but if you don't need a sync combiner, it sounds like the Hanzo's still the best choice?
I personally don't think there's much of a reason to get a Hanzo over a Kuro.

The main difference between the two is that the Hanzo has a scanline generator, but the Kuro doesn't. But the thing is, scanlines aren't really appropriate for 480p games, and most scalers that take 240p content have scanline generators of their own.

Scanlines on Dreamcast make no sense at all. Only a couple of games like KOF or Outrun emulator from Shenmue2 could take some advantage from them.

Anyway, I don't even like that trend of adding forced scanlines on vintage systems. Scanlines are a thing of low khz CRTs, not about system themselves.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Scanlines on Dreamcast make no sense at all. Only a couple of games like KOF or Outrun emulator from Shenmue2 could take some advantage from them.

Anyway, I don't even like that trend of adding forced scanlines on vintage systems. Scanlines are a thing of low khz CRTs, not about system themselves.

capcom games though

Jamix012

It has the sync combiner built in.

The Hanzo and the sync combiner separately cost more than $80.

I need both.

I never bought a Hanzo.

Therefore... good buy for me! And I think good buy for others who are just getting into 480p Dreamcastin'.

One other cool thing-- it will do 480p through the Scart connector. Yeah, I know, they say 480i only for Scart. But he confirmed it when I asked.

There's no such thing as 480p through Scart, you're going to be disappointed. Even if they manage to send a 480p signal through it, I'm doubtful anything will accept such a signal.

There's no such thing as 480p through Scart, you're going to be disappointed. Even if they manage to send a 480p signal through it, I'm doubtful anything will accept such a signal.
I have read the same thing as you, that it's 480i for Scart, but why would he lie about it? He flat out stated 480i and 480p through the Scart connector. And I'm not trying to be an a-hole about it, or be argumentative with you but I can't believe he'd make that mistake, or would willingly lie about it to the Shmups forum.

Ah well, I guess I'll see-- worse case scenario I'll just have to buy a BNC-> VGA cord.

Jamix012

I have read the same thing as you, that it's 480i for Scart, but why would he lie about it? He flat out stated 480i and 480p through the Scart connector. And I'm not trying to be an a-hole about it, or be argumentative with you but I can't believe he'd make that mistake, or would willingly lie about it to the Shmups forum.

Ah well, I guess I'll see-- worse case scenario I'll just have to buy a BNC-> VGA cord.

I think it's likely to be a mistake rather than a lie, but I wish you luck and if it does turn out to work then I might be interested in one too.

Edit: I might be eating some serious crow with this one. Apparantly PS3 can support 480p over scart, so I guess it is technically plausible.

Top Bottom