• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Lego Boss

yes I had this while playing shenmue a few years ago, I ended up buying a new DC but since then I have opened up the console a few times and the fix can be applied rather easily for the ports, you can either buy a replacement fuse or be more ghetto and use a non fuse method at your own risk.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Have passed the info onto my mate, who will hopefully make the necessary changes!

D.Lo

Is there a list of 240p-capable Dreamcast games? I think Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2 are the only one I've got. :(

edit: oh and bangaioh, right?
Bangaioh
Black Matrix
Gunbird 2
Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure
King of Fighters Dream Match 1999
Last Blade 2: Final Edition
Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Princess Maker Collection
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Twinkle Star Sprites

The Kuro I ordered disappeared in a void between Turkey and USA for at least a month, eventually arriving in the most beat-up package I've ever received by mail, complete with a note from USPS apologizing for the condition of the package, the likes of which I have never seen before or since.

Good luck!
Whew, it got into New Jersey last night. I really hope it makes its way over here by the weekend. Can't wait to try it out, I think it could be GOAT

driver116

This does look a lot like the Dreamcast demo CDs we had in Europe.

%5BComplete%5D%20-%20Dream%20On%20Vol.1.jpg

They had it all. Dream On demo disks, Dreamareana, Dreamcast. I loved the whole convention. Toy Commander, MSR and Sonic Adventure. Fucking awesome console. I truly miss what it was.

Peltz

So I got a Hanzo (infuriatingly I ordered just days before the Toro was announced), took ages to arrive, and it didn't work.

I got no picture and only static through the sound channels.
I thought it might have been my Dreamcast (it was also showing no video, but did have correct audio through composite) so I bought another one off ebay, it arrived this week and I tried it, but the same thing.
The VGA input on my TV is fine too, as other VGA sources work.
And I have an inkling the Hanzo actually killed the DAC in the first dreamcast by shorting it somehow. It worked fine before, but the static through the audio sounds a lot like DC current.
Luckily the new DC hasn't been killed by it, still works through composite.

I've emailed the guy, will see what happens.

That's concerning. I just ordered a Toro from them. Was it ever resolved?

Timu

Bangaioh
Black Matrix
Gunbird 2
Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure
King of Fighters Dream Match 1999
Last Blade 2: Final Edition
Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Princess Maker Collection
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Twinkle Star Sprites
Last Blade 2 is a game I need someday...dat animation!

Teknoman

Did Seaman actually recognize any of the phrases? I kinda want to replay it for the hell of it now that i'm older and not just insulting the fish all day.

I remember telling a juvenile Seaman to speak English and he faced the screen and said, "Why do Americans assume everyone speaks English?" then resumed the indecernable baby talk.

Seaman definitely works to a degree. I remember lots of smart ass, brilliant responses that were on point for what I was asking.

That is a great example, Sixteen-Bit. I kind of want to fire it up again and see if it holds my interest again.

televator

I remember telling a juvenile Seaman to speak English and he faced the screen and said, "Why do Americans assume everyone speaks English?" then resumed the indecernable baby talk.

What the hell kind of AI is in this game? I'm tempted to get it and experience its twilight zonyness for myself.

My toro VGA box came in, and it is amazing. The scart cable indeed outputs 480p. I don't know if it's doing 31khz on my monitor (my PVM 20l5 supports the frequency but I guess I have no way of telling what it's displaying in) but the picture looks wonderful.

It's expensive, yes, but if you need a sync combiner and VGA box, and are interested in the Scart option (I love incorporating it into my switchbox setup instead of having to buy a VGA->BNC cable) then you should definitely buy it.

SKINNER!

Banned
Was over at a friend's house on Saturday where we played Dreamcast games for like 6 hours until 1am.

Highlights:-
  • Dynamite Cop - hilarious!
  • Typing of the Dead - harder than it looks especially if you're not great at touch typing :X
  • Chu Chu Rocket: Absolute mayhem
  • Samba De Amigo: Loved every minute of it. Was a lot of fun
  • Some Japanese train game that had a special controller for it. Twas interesting but had no clue what was going on.
  • Virtua Tennis 2: Intense doubles action.
    [*]Tokyo Bus Guide: Best game of the night. So funny when you mess up and lose points over the most frivolous things.

Oh and he had one of those VGA box things; Totally worth it! Graphics were crisp as hell.

sCHOCOLATE

Was over at a friend's house on Saturday where we played Dreamcast games for like 6 hours until 1am.

Highlights:-
  • Some Japanese train game that had a special controller for it. Twas interesting but had no clue what was going on.
    [/B]

Oh and he had one of those VGA box things; Totally worth it! Graphics were crisp as hell.

電車でGO! (Densha De GO!)

Teknoman

That reminds me to ask... is Rush 2049 or whatever actually good? I remember going nuts back in the demo days because the cars had wings.

That reminds me to ask... is Rush 2049 or whatever actually good? I remember going nuts back in the demo days because the cars had wings.

Uh, Rush 2049 is my favorite game ever made in which you drive a vehicle. So yes. Rush 2049 is a game I've played hundreds of hours of since I got it in early 2001 for the N64... and it's the only game I'm certain I've played in every year since I first played it. (Maybe also Minesweeper on PC? Not certain. :p)

DirtyCase

I used to own a dreamcast back in the day but I didn't have too many games. I recently got a good pc and was really looking forward to finally giving the shenmue series a try, the games seem right up my alley. Any suggestions about the process or games in general?

Considering my absurd love for Virtua Tennis, how can I not grab the game that people are saying is better? Thanks Amazon seller for still having a copy that ships with Prime so I can check it out.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Considering my absurd love for Virtua Tennis, how can I not grab the game that people are saying is better? Thanks Amazon seller for still having a copy that ships with Prime so I can check it out.

Tennis 2K2 = Virtua Tennis 2 in NA.

sarcoa

made the upgrade
Is there any reason for the variance in the spine of the Tennis 2K2 case? Was it a pack in with something? I've seen some with the normal black and others with the green tennis (ball? net? court?) lining.

Other than the orange Sega All-Stars I cant't think of another NA Dreamcast release doing this.

baphomet

Well my kenzei crapped out on me for some reason. Have to send it back to get a replacement. Sucks because I just picked up neo xyx and was really wanting to check it out. Thankfully I was still able to play it in 240p. Oddly enough I found a local store that carries all the ng:Dev games. Pretty cool spot.

Seik

Banned
Well done. Reminds me of the picture, the context of which escapes me, with the PS3 in the garbage

First time I saw this it was when someone bought the Limited Edition of Ninja Gaiden 3.

He showed the DoA5's demo coupon on front of the photo, with the big box set of NG3 in the trash.

Top Bottom