• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Rally: Better deformation than Motorstorm?

Bildi

jimbo said:
In the new OXM it talked about this. They said Sega Rally would have some crazy number of tracks > 35. It WAS a design choice and a MONEY choice. Can you imagine how much more time it would take to make new geometry for all of these tracks? It saves them lots of money, time and artists to just close the tracks and loop them.

In fairness, that is quite low for rally games which typically have 50+ tracks. So hopefully they are quite detailed and interesting.

I'm not really too bothered. 35 is still a hell of a lot of tracks.

Sega rally 2 had what, 6 courses or something? I use to enter the online time trials via getting the code at the end of a race and uploading it to their website, was so much fun.

stilgar

MS3.jpg

racing on a brownie ? My next-gen is fantastic !

Bildi

Diablohead said:
Sega rally 2 had what, 6 courses or something? I use to enter the online time trials via getting the code at the end of a race and uploading it to their website, was so much fun.
Was it that many in the arcade version? I remembered 4 or something but then I haven't played it for years.

msdstc said:
the visuals from the screens look unbelievable are there any videos yet? can't decide which I'm more excited for this or colin mcrae dirt. I'm just hoping it's not as disapointing as motorstorm was.
Sorry, no videos yet and I have no idea when they'll release one. Maybe in a couple of months time when they perfected the framerate. And I'm personally getting both: yes, they're both rally games, but each of them will offer a different racing experience when comparing them.

Bad_Boy said:
Wish we didn't have to wait so long for this one. Ah well.
Was the game running in 1080p or 720p when you saw it, MicVlaD?
Don't know, to be honest. It could've been 1080p, 'cause it looked pretty sharp on the big screen (of a small movie theatre) and since it's the resolution the studio's aiming for... They didn't say anything whether or not it was native however.

Bildi said:
In fairness, that is quite low for rally games which typically have 50+ tracks. So hopefully they are quite detailed and interesting.

I'm not really too bothered. 35 is still a hell of a lot of tracks.
Yup, 35+ is more than enough, but to be fair: Rallisport Challenge 2 had a lot of tracks, but many of them were just a smaller part of a larger track. I don't know if it's the same in Colin McRae games, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case as well in DIRT, given its amazing graphics.

As long as they're fun and not filled with straights, I wouldn't mind 35+ tracks.

Bildi

MicVlaD said:
Yup, 35+ is more than enough, but to be fair: Rallisport Challenge 2 had a lot of tracks, but many of them were just a smaller part of a larger track. I don't know if it's the same in Colin McRae games, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case as well in DIRT, given its amazing graphics.

As long as they're fun and not filled with straights, I wouldn't mind 35+ tracks.
Yes, the CMR games do have overlapping sections like Rallisport 2. So if Sega Rally has no overlaps then 35 is a pretty impressive number. Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

The thing about RSC2 was that it was on another level when it came to track design and visual variety of the decorators around the tracks. It made it much easier to learn tracks such as hillclimb and crossover which had no calling, and they were just a real pleasure to drive around. It would be nice if they can recreate some of that in Revo.

camineet

Banned
hopefully Revo will fill in the void of not having a RalliSport Challenge 3, because from what I've seen, Colin McRae DIRT is not gonna fill that void for me.

Top Bottom