• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sales in the US: Extra Special June 2004 Edition

AniHawk

Code:
[b]Nintendo Gamecube[/b]           |  [b]Total[/b]  |
----------------------------+---------+
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE    | 894,219 |
SONIC MEGA COLLECTION       | 503,270 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL           | 499,698 |
SONIC HEROES                | 400,056 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2         | 342,351 |
SONIC ADVENTURE DX          | 316,526 |
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE I & II | 188,263 |
BILLY HATCHER               | 138,401 |
NFL 2K3                     | 135,720 |
SKIES OF ARCADIA LEGENDS    | 101,541 |
NBA 2K3                     |  99,595 |
NBA 2K2                     |  79,972 |
HOME RUN KING               |  66,784 |
BEACH SPIKERS               |  64,443 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  42,838 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           |  27,439 |
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE III    |  26,648 |
VIRTUA STRIKER 2002         |   9,621 |
NHL 2K3                     |   8,895 |
SAMURAI JACK                |   6,280 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |   5,892 |
[b]Microsoft Xbox[/b]              |  [b]Total[/b]  | 
NFL 2K3                     | 288.470 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL           | 195,736 |
NBA 2K3                     | 182,572 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL         | 144,635 |
HOUSE OF THE DEAD III       | 138,211 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL       | 131,503 |
PANZER DRAGOON ORTA         | 123,597 |
NBA 2K2                     | 114,794 |
SONIC HEROES                | 103,655 |
CRAZY TAXI 3                | 103,473 |
NFL 2K2                     | 100,038 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           |  99,289 |
JET SET RADIO FUTURE        |  97,855 |
GUNVALKYRIE                 |  93,162 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K3   |  84,833 |
SEGA GT 2002                |  84,365 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |  82,016 |
TOEJAM & EARL III           |  65,431 |
NHL 2K3                     |  63,964 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY             |  59,084 |
ESPN MLB BASEBALL           |  56,791 |
OTOGI: MYTH OF DEMONS       |  54,298 |
ESPN COLLEGE HOOPS          |  51,827 |
SEGA GT ONLINE              |  37,655 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  30,065 | 
[b]Sony Playstation 2[/b]          |  [b]Total[/b]  |
NFL 2K3                     | 794,794 |
VIRTUA FIGHTER 4            | 620,712 |
NBA 2K2                     | 465,912 |
NBA 2K3                     | 402,632 |
NFL 2K2                     | 358,732 |
SHINOBI                     | 276,942 |
SONIC HEROES                | 233,504 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL           | 207,147 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL         | 196,166 |
VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 EVO        | 190,669 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           | 170,235 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL2K3    |  92,426 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |  91,844 |
TENNIS 2K2                  |  88,369 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY             |  83,486 |
NHL 2K3                     |  80,522 |
GUNGRAVE                    |  74,893 |
BASS FISHING DUEL           |  56,678 |
ESPN COLLEGE HOOPS          |  53,724 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  45,290 |
ESPN MLB BASEBALL           |  37,584 |
AERO ELITE: COMBAT          |  27,709 |
NIGHTSHADE                  |  22,703 |
REZ                         |  20,609 |
KING OF ROUTE 66            |  20,515 |
FERRARI F355 CHALLENGE      |  19,269 |
SAMURAI JACK                |  12,963 |
VIRTUAL-ON MARZ             |  11,598 |
----------------------------+---------+--------+
[b]Top 10 [All-Formats][/b]        |  [b]Total[/b]  | [b]Format[/b] |
----------------------------+---------+--------+
10 SUPER MONKEY BALL 2      | 342,351 |   NGC  | 
9 NFL 2K2                   | 358,732 |   PS2  |
8 SONIC HEROES              | 400,056 |   NGC  |
7 NBA 2K3                   | 402,632 |   PS2  |
6 NBA 2K2                   | 465,912 |   PS2  |
5 SUPER MONKEY BALL         | 499,698 |   NGC  |
4 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION     | 503,270 |   NGC  |
3 VIRTUA FIGHTER 4          | 620,712 |   PS2  |
2 NFL 2K3                   | 794,794 |   PS2  |
1 SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE  | 894,219 |   NGC  |

Well, Sonic Mega Collection broke 500,000. Sonic Heroes 2 broke 400,000, and the little RPG that could, SoAL, is close to outselling the DC original. Looks like next month, SMB and SA2B will break their next 100k, but nothing really worth noting other than that.

SUPER MONKEY BALL | 499,698 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 | 342,351 |

Yet still no SMB3. It's like they have an allergy towards fat wads of cash.

You have to wonder how they got SMB and Sonic on the GC right but can't seem to place anything else to the right demographic.

etiolate

Banned
Sega is like the dumb girl who always goes for the wrong guy. Here is Gamecube, with arms wide open but we keep finding Sega in bed with Xbox and PS2.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Matlock said:
She's not a true ninja, so no sale!

Well, Ryu is not the "true" Ryu either, so nyah! :p

Die Squirrel Die said:
I bought it. It sucked. Okay maybe sucked is a bit harsh but really it was treading water.

Not a fan of tates, eh? ;)

etiolate said:
Sega is like the dumb girl who always goes for the wrong guy. Here is Gamecube, with arms wide open but we keep finding Sega in bed with Xbox and PS2.

Nah, GameCube would have kicked Hibana to the curb anyway since GameCube is Sonic's bitch. :p

Agent X

190,669 peeps slappin' down the dead presidents for Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution!

ps2banana.gif

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Well, Ryu is not the "true" Ryu either, so nyah! :p

Not a fan of tates, eh? ;)

Nah, GameCube would have kicked Hibana to the curb anyway since GameCube is Sonic's bitch. :p

They were fun at first, but after a while they just became a bit restrictive. The whole 5 enemies have popped up so I must kill 5 enemies now to get my 5 Tate, and now 6 enemies have appeared so I must get my 6 Tate, got a bit tedious.

And while it hasn't exactly been vigorously tested, it doesn't seem that likely that the GC audience would be that willing to accept any Sega game that isn't bright and cuddly. NOt that they shouldn't probably try a bit harder. Is it just me or could JSR mine the same niche as VJ?

Subitai

Well, after looking at these threads for a few months, it's clear that Sega didn't have the properties to support a console on it's own. :(

The rumors of a re-emergence of a new console I find very aggravating considering Sega's performance can't justify it.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Die Squirrel Die said:
They were fun at first, but after a while they just became a bit restrictive. The whole 5 enemies have popped up so I must kill 5 enemies now to get my 5 Tate, and now 6 enemies have appeared so I must get my 6 Tate, got a bit tedious.

I see your point, but it's still a fun game. The 30+ tate-combos were nifty, though. ^_^

AniHawk

Subitai said:
Well, after looking at these threads for a few months, it's clear that Sega didn't have the properties to support a console on it's own. :(

The rumors of a re-emergence of a new console I find very aggravating considering Sega's performance can't justify it.

Yeah, I thought Sega was gonna be this big boy out of the gates to challenge EA, but they put out port after port, and clunker after clunker until they came to rest in the Capcom/Namco region (arguably worse).

AniHawk said:
Yeah, I thought Sega was gonna be this big boy out of the gates to challenge EA, but they put out port after port, and clunker after clunker until they came to rest in the Capcom/Namco region (arguably worse).

Now I feel all sad. Even I, who long held onto the belief that Sega were just 'adjusting' long after most reasonable people had thrown in the towel can no longer be optimistic. Saying that I'm actually quite looking forward to Blood Will Tell, Spikeout and all that, it's just, it makes you want to sigh that they haven't been what their DC performance suggested they should have been.

Subitai said:

Rumors like that have been around since the day Sega announced they were getting out of the console business. I don't think they're based on anything more than overly zealous fans that have completely lost touch with reality.

jarrod

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
And while it hasn't exactly been vigorously tested, it doesn't seem that likely that the GC audience would be that willing to accept any Sega game that isn't bright and cuddly.
Actually PSO (minus part 3) and SOAL have done pretty well on GameCube. Outside those the platform really hasn't been given anything that's not "bright and cuddly" or a sports game...

lordmrw

jesus, its like the kept throwing games at the xbox in the hopes that they would have that one breakout hit that would justify all of that support. Meanwhile, you've got cube owners buying their non sports games by the assload and they flat out ignore them.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
ESPN2K5 will save Sega.

It's $20. It better do better than 2K4.

It's weird. When Sega was asking for what they could do to the ESPN series, I said "Make it $20" and "rename it Madden" (under different names).

1 outta 2 aint bad.

FightyF

Banned

It really depends on what genre you are talking about. SEGA definately can make the GC a Sonic platform...but probably not for SEGA Sports/ESPN titles.

Overall I'd say they should, because to me the GC seems starved for content (that SEGA provides). There is too much competition on the Xbox and PS2. Nintendo has helped SEGA too...remember the one ad that was selling the GC, and they showed SA2:Battle in it? No other company did that for SEGA AFAIK.

It really looks like the change to "ESPN" naming really hurt sales!

jarrod

Banned
They should just sell Visual Concepts to SCEA/989 and be done with it. But then I guess Sega Sammy wouldn't have a scapegoat for their continuing consumer losses...

Link316

Banned
never realized there was such a huge drop in sales from Shinobi to Nightshade, guess Sega should've kept the Shinobi "brand" somewhere in the title

Alcibiades

Fight for Freeform said:
It really depends on what genre you are talking about. SEGA definately can make the GC a Sonic platform...but probably not for SEGA Sports/ESPN titles.

Overall I'd say they should, because to me the GC seems starved for content (that SEGA provides). There is too much competition on the Xbox and PS2. Nintendo has helped SEGA too...remember the one ad that was selling the GC, and they showed SA2:Battle in it? No other company did that for SEGA AFAIK.

It really looks like the change to "ESPN" naming really hurt sales!

there was massive funding for endless TV ads for Jet Set Radio Future and Panzar Dragoon Orta from Microsoft as part of the exclusive deal...

puck1337

I guess when you look at things on a generational basis, it doesn't look too bad. But when you look at this month's NPD numbers, it's hard to imagine Sega making any money at all without Sonic.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, you're right efralope.

Though I still think that Nintendo is better for SEGA since the demographics would actually care for those games. I've always thought that JGRF would have been perfect for the GC. If it were out for the GC, I would have bought it. Instead, it's out for the Xbox and I haven't tried it. Odd, isn't it?

They should just sell Visual Concepts to SCEA/989 and be done with it. But then I guess Sega Sammy wouldn't have a scapegoat for their continuing consumer losses...

Well their football games are considered to be really good, and their hockey games are by far the best. I wouldn't want to lose that kind of quality to a competitor.

Secondly, the sales of the sports games doesn't seem that bad. I mean, most titles don't even break 100K, am I correct? Aside from the GC, their worst selling sports titles are around the 35K to 50K mark...in the past those were average numbers...not really good, but not neccesarily bankruptcy inducing numbers.

cvxfreak

I too am baffled that Sega removed the Sega Sports lineup from the GameCube. A port honestly can't be too hard and the $19.99 price point would help make the series more popular. Sega's had nothing to gain by removing GC ports and a lot to lose.

Alcibiades

Fight for Freeform said:
Yeah, you're right efralope.

Though I still think that Nintendo is better for SEGA since the demographics would actually care for those games. I've always thought that JGRF would have been perfect for the GC. If it were out for the GC, I would have bought it. Instead, it's out for the Xbox and I haven't tried it. Odd, isn't it?

Well their football games are considered to be really good, and their hockey games are by far the best. I wouldn't want to lose that kind of quality to a competitor.

Secondly, the sales of the sports games doesn't seem that bad. I mean, most titles don't even break 100K, am I correct? Aside from the GC, their worst selling sports titles are around the 35K to 50K mark...in the past those were average numbers...not really good, but not neccesarily bankruptcy inducing numbers.

Yeah, I've always maintained that Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, and Panzar Dragoon Orta would have done really well on GCN (I'd have bought all 3 most likely)...

I already have a copy of JSRF for XBox ($5 at Circuit City, now I just need to get the system), but I would have bought it at $50 for GCN if it had been released back in 2002...

jarrod

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:

Well, thinking about it a bit more, I really think Sega should sell VC to Sony. For one, it'd be an instant profit from a division who hasn't exactly pulled their weight (not that Sega's internal JP teams are any less guilty). Also, under SCEA/989, Visual Concepts would finally get the funding, advertising and media exposure they need to really become a competitive force in the market (plus they'd only have to focus on one platform, maybe allowing them to branch out into other genres like Soccer or College Football). No one can push a product like Sony... Visual Concepts would finally have the hype and brand appeal to really take EA head on. Seems like a good move for everyone involved imo.

Alcibiades

jarrod said:
Well, thinking about it a bit more, I really think Sega should sell VC to Sony. For one, it'd be an instant profit from a division who hasn't exactly pulled their weight (not that Sega's internal JP teams are any less guilty). Also, under SCEA/989, Visual Concepts would finally get the funding, advertising and media exposure they need to really become a competitive force in the market (plus they'd only have to focus on one platform, maybe allowing them to branch out into other genres like Soccer or College Football). No one can push a product like Sony... Visual Concepts would finally have the hype and brand appeal to really take EA head on. Seems like a good move for everyone involved imo.

How can you take EA Sports head on without competiting on XBox (and GCN even)?

This year, XBox and GCN software sales have increased % way more than PS2, and more casual gamers are picking up the XBox to play sports on, you can't confine yourself to a portion of the market and compete on even ground...

NFL 2k5 is going to sell more on XBox than PS2 probably, so going exclusive to one console would probably be a bad idea...

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I too am baffled that Sega removed the Sega Sports lineup from the GameCube. A port honestly can't be too hard and the $19.99 price point would help make the series more popular. Sega's had nothing to gain by removing GC ports and a lot to lose.
Actaully I think Sega would've done fine keeping offline NFL/NBA ports going on Gamecube. They'd probably keep pulling 100-150k a year.

efralope said:
Yeah, I've always maintained that Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, and Panzar Dragoon Orta would have done really well on GCN (I'd have bought all 3 most likely)...
I think JSRF would've done really well in the US (1st quarter 2002 was a bit dry, which also halped fuel SA2Battle sales) and Panzer Orta would've really benefitted in Japan particularly (though I still think it should've been a PS2 project). GunValkyrie though I doubt would've sold well on any platform.

jarrod

Banned
efralope said:
This year, XBox and GCN software sales have increased % way more than PS2, and more casual gamers are picking up the XBox to play sports on, you can't confine yourself to a portion of the market and compete on even ground...
Sure you can.... when your portion of the market is 70%. ;)

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Actaully I think Sega would've done fine keeping offline NFL/NBA ports going on Gamecube. They'd probably keep pulling 100-150k a year.

I think JSRF would've done really well in the US (1st quarter 2002 was a bit dry, which also halped fuel SA2Battle sales) and Panzer Orta would've really benefitted in Japan particularly (though I still think it should've been a PS2 project). GunValkyrie though I doubt would've sold well on any platform.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sega's exclusive Xbox efforts have gone wasted.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
i wonder what it feels like to say "we sold 6,000 copies of samurai jack" LOLOLOLOL!!!
Speaking of which, it seems Sega quietly canceled the XBox version. At least they did one thing right on XBox...

AniHawk

BeOnEdge said:
i wonder what it feels like to say "we sold 6,000 copies of samurai jack" LOLOLOLOL!!!

Bet they're sure glad they picked that game up (they only published it, right?).

FightyF

Banned
For one, it'd be an instant profit from a division who hasn't exactly pulled their weight (not that Sega's internal JP teams are any less guilty).

I'd have to disagree TO THE MAX. VC has done an awesome job with the sports games. They have done more than pull their weight...they've been one of the few SEGA teams able to consistantly release great titles, that are herald by some reviews as the best in their class.

The only problem is SEGA's ability to market these products. Changing from the widely popular "2K" brand to the "ESPN" brand (which is associated with a whole slew of crappy titles in the late 90s and 2000/2001/2002) was a mistake (it was a great idea, but executed bad).

Making sports games exclusive is not a bad idea. But refraining from porting them to the GC is a good idea, IMO. Concentrate on the two biggest consoles (sports-wise) is by far the best decision they could make. We all know that platformers have no life on the Xbox, so keeping them away from the Xbox makes sense.

Marketing these products also includes making the gaming media reluctant to downplay or trash Sega games. Look at ESPN Baseball's reviews...pretty average to mediocre when the game is better than that. Sales for that game have tanked hard, while a 989 studios baseball game outsells both versions of ESPN. The media plays a big part, and Sega has a second class relationship with the media. That has to change. If a media outlet disses a game unfairly, pull all advertising and make them buy the games at the store. Don't put up with paid fanboys who believe they have to power to hype or tank any game or system that they want.

It doesn't bode well when not one of Sega's upcomming games is being pushed by the media. Blood Will Tell is going to get overlooked severely to the point that I'd cancel the game if I was Sega. I also agree that the Gcube needs to get some more love, but at this point, it is too late. The next generation cycle is here and Sega needs to go after that instead of trying to correct past mistakes on old hardware. Sega needs the next gen to go right for them, and I believe they can do it. The 20$ sports games is all for the next gen, so I think they have the right attitude.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Thanks for sharing dude. Any idea what House of the Dead shifted? From what I gather that just disappeared off the face of the earth

?

D

- ignore the above - just noticed it. Duh

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I don't understand why Sega did not release Virtua Cop 3 on the Xbox ? I mean House of the Dead 3 sold a pretty good 138,211 for such a niche genre and the port certainly wouldn't cost much.
The latest AM2 shooter Ghost Squad would make a great Xbox game too. A compilation of both would be simply awesome...

Hotsuma

Blimblim said:
I don't understand why Sega did not release Virtua Cop 3 on the Xbox ? I mean House of the Dead 3 sold a pretty good 138,211 for such a niche genre and the port certainly wouldn't cost much.
The latest AM2 shooter Ghost Squad would make a great Xbox game too. A compilation of both would be simply awesome...

It would be great to have Virtua Cop 3 on Xbox. None of the arcades around here have the game or LA Machineguns. I've never heard of Ghost Squad. Is it as good as Virtua Cop 3 was said to be?

Speaking of Sega's arcade games, I hope AV will include the original Spikeout game in Spikeout Extreme. That's another game that never got to any of the arcades here.

Sega's Xbox support has been great, especially when compared to other Japanese developers like Capcom. I don't think I would have given the system a chance if not for their support. I hope they support Xbox 2 or I'll have to reconsider getting the system. A Xbox 2 confirmation of Phantasy Star Universe would keep my interest high.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
I've always liked the Virtua Cop series even more than The House of the Dead titles, but I did prefer HotD3 to VC3 from my limited time with the latter. HotD3 had some great scenarios, like getting chased by the security guard boss, and some great enemies, like those extra-resilient blob zombies and the ninja zombies. I felt VC3 needed the action in some of its scenes to be more like the diversified Virtua Cop 2 which flowed from building shootout to street patrol to car chase to train ambush and everything inbetween.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Blimblim said:
Yes.

Top Bottom