• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega / Sammy TGS 2004 Lineup announced

B E N K E

That's the list containing previously announced games. Hopefully there will be a few surprises from Sega. Super Monkeyball Plus is coming to PS2, don't know if it's a title that will be shown at TGS.

sonic4ever said:
I think people expect too much from Sega. This is how I see it, Sega has done real well this generation. They have made alot of Great games after going 3rd party. The problem was these Games were all Spread out on 3 systems, and you had to own all 3 sytems to get the best. So not every person got to experiecbce all the games. This never happened when it was just the Sega console. Sega should have gone with one machine when they went 3rd party, be it PS2, GC, or x-box, so all the Fans would know were to get thier games, though with some "fans" I am sure that wouldn't have been enough.

yes this list is small. Thier could be more on the list later, at the actual show. Also,I don't expect all the games to come to America ( mainly sakura wars games :( ).

Shining Tears (PS2)
- Shining Force (PS2)
- Shining Force: Kuroki Ryuu no Fukkatsu (GBA, aka 'Resurrection of the Dark Dragon')
- Altered Beast (PS2)
- Dororo (PS2)
All of these games I see coming to america or have already been announced. Heck, Shining Force has always been popular here. I don't understand why anyone is not excited about that.

Like I Said earlier, People expect too much From Sega. "where is Nights 2, Monkey Ball 3, scud racer, a new daytona, ect... " Sega is in a no lose situation with thier past fans, lets say they release Monkey Ball 3. Instead of going, wow, this is great, more likely they will go this is just more of the same. It happened when Sega made the Crazy Taxi sequels, and with Monkey Ball itself I remember when some here said that Monkey Ball 2 wasn't as good as one. At this Point in time, a new monkey Ball game would de-rail the franchise. It is best to save it for next generation. Games like Nights2, are probaly not coming, I want a new Burning Rangers, heck even a remake would be Great. If Sonic Team had made THAT game on the Gamecube at launch I would have bought the system for that game alone, but I knnow it not coming. You can't force certain games. Games like nights were created by inspiration and to try and force them to come about would just bring disaster. Also Many Fans for Years have been wanting certian games, and Sega doesn't listen. Can we say Scud Racer and Daytona 2. Being a Sega fan is hard, but it is worth it to me in the end
i

come here and let me smack you. SEGA's classics are all they have to bank on now. Sonic (ahem) is their no.1 cash cow and everything else they touch/produce turns to shit. (see AI BH PSO ports shenmue GV SGT xbox titles) For the sega fan; its as much about their existing lineage as it is about their new stuff. The DC had way more classic/classy SEGA titles than their output post DC.

damn.. I need that VFCG WTF image because it saves everything about SEGA now.

People act like this is the first time Sega has made questionable decisions. Sega of Japan not only ignored the American Branch but forced an early launch for the Saturn. Sega of Japan even allowed Yuji Naka to derail an original Sonic game, because it wasn't his idea and that it came from America. So all of this is not new. The above brings up another good point.
Sega and many other companies, still look at Japan on how successfull they are doing in the market place. They say we will look at the "world" but in reality they don't. It seems to be apart of the Japanese Video game culture. So what Sega most likely sees, is that Playstation 2 is big there, and their games have not done well on either Gamecube or X-box in Japan, and the suits, I bet are ignoring the success that their games have had in the western countries. They are only seeing the smaller picture. I currently have no proof of this, but going by past records, I suspects that is what happening. It wasn't the PS2 that killed the Dreamcast it was Sega. The Dreamcast was doing fairly well in the united States but not in Japan, but all the head of Sega saw was the Japanese market, and how the Dreamcast was not as successful as the Saturn in Japan. So they killed. People who think Sony killed the Dreamcast and hold a grudge on the Ps2 are stupid. The Blame goes to Sega not Sony.

Stupid Sega fanboys. Too late for Gamecube support...it's all about the next gen anyways. Been saying that for a long time now. I still believe only a few companies can compete with Sega pound for pound, and that will be seen best when they have to deal with a Sega on the ground floor with the next gen systems (as opposed to being 2 years behind playing catchup).

The same idiots are going to be the same ones sucking Sega's cock when they reveal their next gen plans. Whatever, have your fun dogging Sega at ever turn, like you can brow beat a multi billion dollar corporation to satisfy your every fanboy need. Obvious you do give a shit, as you're here telling us all about how you don't give a shit with a pissed off tone.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Yah, how could they be supporting the biggest fanbase right now? It makes no sense! Just goes to show how some people will complain about Sega no matter what

What is more important? Bigger potential market or the bigger actual market? Sega is downright a fool to ignore Gamecube. You know it too. I am sure you spun a similar situation in favour of PS2 also.

TheGreenGiant said:
come here and let me smack you. SEGA's classics are all they have to bank on now. Sonic (ahem) is their no.1 cash cow and everything else they touch/produce turns to shit. (see AI BH PSO ports shenmue GV SGT xbox titles) For the sega fan; its as much about their existing lineage as it is about their new stuff. The DC had way more classic/classy SEGA titles than their output post DC.

damn.. I need that VFCG WTF image because it saves everything about SEGA now.

let me put it another way so that "You" can understand it. The games that Sega have prduced this generation have been good. If Sega had made all the same games for Gamecube( as I said made games all on one system) you would have gotten to playthese good games that they would have made, instead of going "Sega is shit".

You talk about thier Lineage..this is not the first time Sega has ignored games. Where is a new Alex Kid, where is a new wounder BOY, where is Astal,where is Mystic Defenderor spellcaster as it was called on the Sega Master System, where is a new zaxxon..ect. I have been waiting since 1989 for a new AlterBeast.

Yes the DReamcast had alot of classic games, the Saturn had alot of classic games, and I will say the Genesis had a lot of classic games too, but that was when Sega was first party for thier own system

Please give this MS bitch fest a rest. If you were a "real" Sega fan you would own a machine just for the Sega games. I know I plan to buy a Gamecube just for the Sega games.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"The Dreamcast days were Sega's best and now they're catering to the PS2 crowd with watered down shit."

Yah, how could they be supporting the biggest fanbase right now? It makes no sense! Just goes to show how some people will complain about Sega no matter what. They go and support the PS2 mostly, which is a very good decision, and yet they're still somehow doing something wrong. Tell me, what game on that list would fit better on the GC (in terms of sales) than it would on the PS2? Because i'm not seeing any.
Not on the list but Astro Boy really should've been a GC title. Sega's lack of GCN support is a bit perplexing though, as it's been the best performing platform for the majority of games developed by their internal Japanese studios.

snapty00 said:
Get someone else to do it.
Yep. If Sonic Team doesn't want to port Sonic Adventure 1-2 to PS2/XBox, just hire Traveler's Tales to do it. If AM2 doesn't want to port VF4/Evo to GC/XBox, just let Genki do it... Sega's really missed out this generation by throwing exclusives at hardware makers and spreading their fanbase thin...

Anyway, there's plenty of confirmed Sega Sammy releases missing from this list...

-Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
-Cool Cool: Blue Stinger Premium (XBox)
-Cool Cool: Dynamite Dekka 2 (XBox)
-Cool Cool: Illbleed (XBox)
-Derby Owner's Club Online (PC)
-Eternal Arcadia (PC)
-Guilty Gear Isuka (Xbox)
-Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star (NDS)
-Kouma (PS2)
-Neverwinter Nights (PC)
-Outrun 2 (XBox)
-Project Rub (NDS)
-Project S (PSP)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (PC/PSP)
-Sakura Himenishiki Emaki (PS2)
-Sakura Taisen 3: Hometown Paris is Burning (PS2)
-Sakura Taisen 4: When Maidens Desire (PC)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Alex Nid in Miracle World (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Bare Knuckle (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Last Bronx: Tokyo Underground (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Phantasy Star II: To the end of no Return (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Phantasy Star: At the End of the Millenium (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol 16: Virtua Fighter 2 (PS2)
-Sega Sports Jam (PC)
-Sega Superstars (PS2)
-Sonic DS (NDS)
-Sonic Heroes (PC)
-SpikeOut: Battle Street (XBox)
-Strugarden (PC)
-The House of the Dead III (PC)
-Warrior Kings: Battles (PC)

...and about 4 PS2 love/adventure games Sega's picked up via Sammy.

BlackClouds said:
Stupid Sega fanboys. Too late for Gamecube support...it's all about the next gen anyways. Been saying that for a long time now. I still believe only a few companies can compete with Sega pound for pound, and that will be seen best when they have to deal with a Sega on the ground floor with the next gen systems (as opposed to being 2 years behind playing catchup).

The same idiots are going to be the same ones sucking Sega's cock when they reveal their next gen plans. Whatever, have your fun dogging Sega at ever turn, like you can brow beat a multi billion dollar corporation to satisfy your every fanboy need. Obvious you do give a shit, as you're here telling us all about how you don't give a shit with a pissed off tone.

Gkad t see thier is anothr Intellegent person here. Like you said it is now about Next Generation. As the forum memeber "Shinobi" once said " Sega should be saving thier big games for the next Generation of consoles"

jarrod said:
Anyway, there's plenty of confirmed Sega Sammy releases missing from this list...

-Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
-Cool Cool: Blue Stinger Premium (XBox)
-Cool Cool: Dynamite Dekka 2 (XBox)
-Cool Cool: Illbleed (XBox)
-Derby Owner's Club Online (PC)
-Eternal Arcadia (PC)
-Guilty Gear Isuka (Xbox)
-Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star (NDS)
-Kouma (PS2)
-Neverwinter Nights (PC)
-Outrun 2 (XBox)
-Project Rub (NDS)
-Project S (PSP)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (PC/PSP)
-Sakura Himenishiki Emaki (PS2)
-Sakura Taisen 3: Hometown Paris is Burning (PS2)
-Sakura Taisen 4: When Maidens Desire (PC)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Alex Nid in Miracle World (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Bare Knuckle (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Last Bronx: Tokyo Underground (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Phantasy Star II: To the end of no Return (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series: Phantasy Star: At the End of the Millenium (PS2)
-Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol 16: Virtua Fighter 2 (PS2)
-Sega Sports Jam (PC)
-Sega Superstars (PS2)
-Sonic DS (NDS)
-Sonic Heroes (PC)
-SpikeOut: Battle Street (XBox)
-Strugarden (PC)
-The House of the Dead III (PC)
-Warrior Kings: Battles (PC)

...and about 4 PS2 love/adventure games Sega's picked up via Sammy.

I think Nintnedo will have thier own show for the DS and the Sega games ofr the DS will be there. I say this becuase non of the lists have listed a DS game, and we Know the Ds is coming this year.

evilromero said:
Ass-kisser if I've ever seen one. The point isn't what is ON that list. It's what ISN'T. I think first and foremost we're all upset that Sega's line-up just plain sucks. Then, secondly, why isn't there a Super Monkey Ball 3, NiGHTS 2, etc, etc, etc. Instead Sega's doing exactly what they shouldn't be, making the games that pretty much hold to the Japanese market exclusively. What does Sega plan to do when they bring those games over here?

You bring up NiGHTS and then criticize games that only sell in Japan. You do know NiGHTS wasn't exactly popular anywhere, right? It's got a cult following but it didn't sell all that well. Sakura Taisen is extremely popular in Japan and will pull down a quick 500k easily. But I guess if you want to go by that, why bother with games that are only popular in the US (Super Monkey Ball)? That game doesn't sell at all in Japan.

"Bigger potential market or the bigger actual market?"

Sega's biggest market is the PS2. Go look at their worldwide sales. It's very clearly PS2 > GC > Xbox in terms of how well their games sell on a worldwide sales. Alot of Nintendo fans only like to look at US numbers, but that's not how it works.

"Not on the list but Astro Boy really should've been a GC title."

Sure it should've been, but it's not like it'd helped much considering the game just isn't good.

"as it's been the best performing platform for the majority of games developed by their internal Japanese studios."

As I pointed out above, the PS2 is still their best platform worldwide, that's what Sammy is looking at.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You bring up NiGHTS and then criticize games that only sell in Japan. You do know NiGHTS wasn't exactly popular anywhere, right? It's got a cult following but it didn't sell all that well. Sakura Taisen is extremely popular in Japan and will pull down a quick 500k easily.
Actually NiGHTS sold 600k in Japan alone, and managed decent sales eveywhere else considering it's platform. And Sakura Taisen hasn't "pulled down" 500k on PS2 so far, despite a full remake and adventure spinoff...

SolidSnakex said:
But I guess if you want to go by that, why bother with games that are only popular in the US (Super Monkey Ball)? That game doesn't sell at all in Japan.
So the US and Japan are all there is? Care to provide those unremarkable Euro MonkeyBall sales?

SolidSnakex said:
Sega's biggest market is the PS2. Go look at their worldwide sales. It's very clearly PS2 > GC > Xbox in terms of how well their games sell on a worldwide sales. Alot of Nintendo fans only like to look at US numbers, but that's not how it works.
Again, how about providing said sales?

SolidSnakex said:
Sure it should've been, but it's not like it'd helped much considering the game just isn't good.
See Billy Hatcher/Sonic Heroes.

SolidSnakex said:
As I pointed out above, the PS2 is still their best platform worldwide, that's what Sammy is looking at.
Then why the continued XBox/PC support, with literally no GameCube support? Like I said, perplexing...

"Actually NiGHTS sold 600k in Japan alone, and managed decent sales eveywhere else considering it's platform."

That's only 1 territory though, according to evilromero, you shouldn't focus on games that can only sell alot in 1 terriotory.

"And Sakura Taisen hasn't "pulled down" 500k on PS2 so far, despite a full remake and adventure spinoff..."

Wait till it's first real sequel hits the PS2. If the remake could sell half of 500k, then a real sequel should be able to reach it. Or atleast close.

"So the US and Japan are all there is? Care to provide those unremarkable Euro MonkeyBall sales?"

We don't really get Euro numbers so it's too hard to judge. If you've got numbers showing that it did sell alot in Europe, then that wasn't the right game to use for that statement. The point was that you shouldn't take focus away from a game even if it's only successful in 1 terriotory (like Sakura Taisen).

"See Billy Hatcher/Sonic Heroes."

How much has Billy actually sold? I'm looking at Shrine of Data's numbers and the lowest selling GC game they have in the US is a game at 199k, so Billy has to be under that. As for Sonic...The name assures it alot of copies alone.

"Then why the continued XBox/PC support, with literally no GameCube support? "

The Xbox is getting an arcade port that Sega didn't even do themself, a Sonic collection port, and a game that's been announced for the Xbox for years now. They're getting more support for some odd reason, but it's not like they're putting alot of their dev team resources into them. I'd be surprised if atleast 1 new GC game wasn't announced at TGS.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's only 1 territory though, according to evilromero, you shouldn't focus on games that can only sell alot in 1 terriotory.
I repeat myself, NiGHTS did pretty well everywhere considering it's platform. It was one of the better selling Saturn games... probably one of the few to pass a million. It only did huge numbers in Japan because that's the only region where the platform could manage those sales... I'd like to see how NiGHTS would do on a healthy platform in the west.

SolidSnakex said:
Wait till it's first real sequel hits the PS2. If the remake could sell half of 500k, then a real sequel should be able to reach it. Or atleast close.
Well, I agree with that (I'm expecting probably around 400k for ST5, dunno about the Samurai Girl slash 'em up though). The remake was a little bit of a letdown sales wise however... people really expected the franchise to grow in moving from DC to PS2, not remain consistant. Same can be said for Soccer Club or Virtua Fighter, all Sega's PS2 sellers (besides Shinobi arguably) were guaranteed performers beforehand really.

SolidSnakex said:
We don't really get Euro numbers so it's too hard to judge.
So you can't really say it's only sold in the US then, correct? Sega admitted it's moved 1.2M copies though, and only around 500k is from the US...

SolidSnakex said:
How much has Billy actually sold? I'm looking at Shrine of Data's numbers and the lowest selling GC game they have in the US is a game at 199k, so Billy has to be under that. As for Sonic...The name assures it alot of copies alone.
About 150k in USA alone for Billy... likely around 250k worldwide. Which is hardly bad for a new franchise, in fact it's better than any other new Sega franchise this (3rd party) gen besides MonkeyBall.... Astro Boy probably will be lucky to manage a third those numbers.

SolidSnakex said:
The Xbox is getting an arcade port that Sega didn't even do themself, a Sonic collection port, and a game that's been announced for the Xbox for years now. They're getting more support for some odd reason, but it's not like they're putting alot of their dev team resources into them. I'd be surprised if atleast 1 new GC game wasn't announced at TGS.
There's also various Sammy games (Guilty Gear, Iron Poenix, The Sheild, etc)... why doesn't Sega Sammy port Guilty Gear Isuka, Astro Boy or Key of Avalon to GameCube? There's certainly a healthy market for these types of games, so why ignore it?

"So you can't really say it's only sold in the US then, correct? Sega admitted it's moved 1.2M copies though, and only around 500k is from the US..."

Is this one of those "sold to gamers" or "sold to retailers" comments? Alot of developers now release shipped numbers.

"About 150k in USA alone for Billy... likely around 250k worldwide. Which is hardly bad for a new franchise, in fact it's better than any other new Sega franchise this (3rd party) gen besides MonkeyBall.... Astro Boy probably will be lucky to manage a third those numbers."

Billy's an average game overall which helped it. At GR it averages a 73% while Astro Boy averages a 54.2%. That's a big dropoff in quality. I do think Astro Boy should've been on the GC, i'm just not sure how much good it'd done even if it was.

"why doesn't Sega Sammy port Guilty Gear Isuka, Astro Boy or Key of Avalon to GameCube? There's certainly a healthy market for these types of games, so why ignore it?"

They aren't going to port AB just because of its quality. Isn't KoA a card battle game. There's a healthy market for those in console gaming. GGI is Sammy's game who doesn't support the GC at all.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Is this one of those "sold to gamers" or "sold to retailers" comments? Alot of developers now release shipped numbers.
Shipped... though at that time Monkey Ball had only sold about 300k in the US. They've undoubtedly shipped more with the Player's Choice rerelease... I really don't doubt the game has sold over a million copies to consumers so far.

SolidSnakex said:
Billy's an average game overall which helped it. At GR it averages a 73% while Astro Boy averages a 54.2%. That's a big dropoff in quality. I do think Astro Boy should've been on the GC, i'm just not sure how much good it'd done even if it was.

They aren't going to port AB just because of its quality.
Quality is subjective, but AB fits the GameCube userbase (kids and nostalgics) almost perfectly. They could always improve on it though with a potential port...

SolidSnakex said:
Isn't KoA a card battle game. There's a healthy market for those in console gaming.
Cudecept has done well on Saturn/PS1/DC/PS2 as has Yu-Gi-Oh almost everywhere. Besides, KOA is hugely popular in arcades, there's some guaranteed market for it at home (like Initial D & VF4). And a GC port would be almost effortless (though interface would need a little retweaking).

SolidSnakex said:
GGI is Sammy's game who doesn't support the GC at all.
Sammy rereleased the PSO keyboard for GameCube actually. :)

GGI would do pretty well on GC I'd imagine, as CVS2, MKDA, SC2, Bloody Roar PF, Naruto 1-3, SSBM and most other fighters have.

These little points are all beside the main issue however, GameCube has proven a reliable revenue stream for Sega and they've actually built a fanbase there... so why suddenly abandon the platform? Even if it's just ports, why not support a healthy market?

Izzy

Banned
According to EGM, Phantasy Star Universe is a PS2 game, too. Being a long time SEGA fan, I must say this is a good move by the company. Concentrate on the fucking winner, SEGA.

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
According to EGM, Phantasy Star Universe is a PS2 game, too. Being a long time SEGA fan, I must say this is a good move by the company. Concentrate on the fucking winner, SEGA.
PSU should be saved for the next gen, it's really too late to make a huge return on a fee based game like online Phantasy Star this late in the game (hence TFLO's cancelation). It'd make a better impact as a launch game for Xenon in late 2005 anyway, with Revolution/PS3 ports following in 2006... porting Blue Burst to PS2 instead would make more sense financially.

PSU hasn't been confirmed for any platform really though, EGM is just echoing what most people assumed months back.

Izzy

Banned
nitewulf said:
so, so many sega fans here and no one is excited by a new shining force? odd...
also, project "rub"?

Ah, but that's because it's an old news, and the scans have already been posted...

nitewulf said:
so, so many sega fans here and no one is excited by a new shining force? odd...
also, project "rub"?

well iam really excited about the shining force, but then again I guess to "The GreenGaint" I am not a sga fan becuase I actually like some of Sega games post DC, even though i have been following Sega since the Master system.

PSU would make sense on the PS2 because of the backwards compatiblity it'll have next gen. Plus it's it's going to take advantage of the harddrive (which it likely will since its a MMORPG) that'd be another plus since the harddrive will likely work with the PS3. Might as well get a bite out of the biggest RPG market this gen instead of starting from scratch.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
PSU would make sense on the PS2 because of the backwards compatiblity it'll have next gen. Plus it's it's going to take advantage of the harddrive (which it likely will since its a MMORPG) that'd be another plus since the harddrive will likely work with the PS3. Might as well get a bite out of the biggest RPG market this gen instead of starting from scratch.
The PS2 HDD market is about 500k worldwide... hardly the biggest RPG market out there. I think it'd be better for Sega to start from scratch and ride a high profile launch push (potentially three high profile launch pushes actually) than struggle in a fractured market on an overcrowded and highly competitive RPG platform, hoping backwards compatability will net them some cash after the first few months. ;)

So instead you want them to scratch a PS2 version in favor of lauching on the Xenon, which won't have a harddrive, and the Xbox fan market hasn't been exactly kind to Japanese developed games with the exception of Team Ninja's games? I'm sure that BC will net them more sales than they'll get doing a Xenon launch.

If Sammy really wants to take control of Sega and make sure they get back right, they wouldn't announce the game for the Xenon in the first place. They need to sit back and wait to see if the buying market on the Xenon is different from that on the Xbox (meaning that they're more accepting to Japanese games other than TN's). Because if it's not changed, then they're going to dig themself a pretty big hole with a MMORPG bombing on that system.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So instead you want them to scratch a PS2 version in favor of lauching on the Xenon, which won't have a harddrive, and the Xbox fan market hasn't been exactly kind to Japanese developed games with the exception of Team Ninja's games? I'm sure that BC will net them more sales than they'll get doing a Xenon launch.
Okay... Revolution launch. Problem solved, best of both worlds. ;)

Releasing any brand new fee based game reliant on the PS2 HDD in 2005 would be waste for Sega. They'd make a bigger impact with PSU on the next gen consoles and maybe giving PS2 a port of Blue Burst.

SolidSnakex said:
If Sammy really wants to take control of Sega and make sure they get back right, they wouldn't announce the game for the Xenon in the first place. They need to sit back and wait to see if the buying market on the Xenon is different from that on the Xbox (meaning that they're more accepting to Japanese games other than TN's). Because if it's not changed, then they're going to dig themself a pretty big hole with a MMORPG bombing on that system.
Well, we don't actually know it's a MMORPG. Besides, if it is it doesn't stand much chance on PS2 either...

"They'd make a bigger impact with PSU on the next gen consoles and maybe giving PS2 a port of Blue Burst."

Not having any PSO's on the PS2 at this point is just so wrong. Sammy should sit Naka down and tell him he no longer has any say where his games go. His hatred for the PS2 just isn't working in favor of Sega. Same for Smilebit.

"Well, we don't actually know it's a MMORPG. Besides, if it is it doesn't stand much chance on PS2 either..."

There's always a risk with releasing expensive games like this. But when you're, doesn't it make more sense to take that risk on something that seems to be more of the sure bet (PS2)?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Not having any PSO's on the PS2 at this point is just so wrong. Sammy should sit Naka down and tell him he no longer has any say where his games go. His hatred for the PS2 just isn't working in favor of Sega. Same for Smilebit.
Problem with that thinking though though is that Naka's games have almost all successful in their chosen platforms and Sonic Team one of the few moneymakers on the consumer side of Sega (probably the biggest moneymaker in fact). Their only total notable failure seems to be a PS2 exclusive (Astro Boy), which was more a result of Mizuguchi's intentions and work than Naka's. Comparing Sonic Team to Smilebit is laughable financially.

I'd agree though that PSO should've made it to PS2 in some form. Then again, I also think VF4 should've gotten XBox & GC ports and really Sega should've done more porting in general... PSO on PS2 isn't exactly a special case. At this point though, developing an all new PSO for PS2 would be a waste of time.

SolidSnakex said:
There's always a risk with releasing expensive games like this. But when you're, doesn't it make more sense to take that risk on something that seems to be more of the sure bet (PS2)?
When FF can't manage more than 500k, why bother years later? The PS2 market isn't a guarantee for anything, and limiting things to the HDD equipped sector would be a huge mistake for PSO. Sure bet isn't even close to applicable here.

FFXI's fanbase is pretty telling of the type of base you're going to get with a MMORPG. The cost, plus the amount of time you really have to put into it for it really to start moving is going to limit the amount of players that will actually play them quite a bit. It's still sold more than PSO on the GC has, and with FFXI you know everyone that's buying it is going online since that's the only way you can play it.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
FFXI's fanbase is pretty telling of the type of base you're going to get with a MMORPG. The cost, plus the amount of time you really have to put into it for it really to start moving is going to limit the amount of players that will actually play them quite a bit. It's still sold more than PSO on the GC has, and with FFXI you know everyone that's buying it is going online since that's the only way you can play it.
Actually FFXI PS2 hasn't outsold PSO1&2 GC (though it has in the singular regions it's released). Still comparaing a brand like FF to PS is disingenious... FFXI even had the advantage of being part of the main series and it's still under 500k on PS2. Other brands like Everybody Golf and Nobunga's Ambition can't even break 100k on the limited PS2 HDD market, what hope would Phantasy Star have?

jarrod said:
Actually FFXI PS2 hasn't outsold PSO1&2 GC (though it has in the singular regions it's released). Still comparaing a brand like FF to PS is disingenious... FFXI even had the advantage of being part of the main series and it's still under 500k on PS2. Other brands like Everybody Golf and Nobunga's Ambition can't even break 100k on the limited PS2 HDD market, what hope would Phantasy Star have?

so most of Sony's game that are online have only sold 100K? I thought they had the most successfull online user numners playing online. How many subscriptions have X-box live sold? If FF11 only sold 500K maybe Sega should re-think making PSU a MMORPG ( is Phantasy Star Univerese a MMORPG?) If Final Fantasy can only sell 500k how does Sega expect to sell a lesser Brand name like Phantasy Star on the PS2? I also wounder if waiting till next gen is good for Phantasy Star Univerese, becuase if a heavy user baselike PS2 won't buy a MMORPG, why would a new one, especially if Sega asks for a Monthly fee? Now if PSU is an offline game, then I think the game will sell becuase it wouldn't require anything extra to start and play the game besides the price of the game. I hope PSU is more of an offline game.

Cerebral Palsy said:
Sega died with the Dreamcast.

prettty much agree with this post.

sonic4ever said:
Please give this MS bitch fest a rest. If you were a "real" Sega fan you would own a machine just for the Sega games. I know I plan to buy a Gamecube just for the Sega games.

I know I plan to buy a GAMECUBE just for Sega games .. then why haven't you already. Bit ironic when you're slagging me off on the xbox side of things.

MS bitch fest? Where exactly did I target MS or the xbox. Their focus on the xbox is an undeniable stupido move. Lost market share; lose mindshare - so what if they cover their losses with MS money. I also bought the XBOX at launch for JRGF and I own most of the SEGA titles released but to be honest; I sold them because they were crap/rubbish. Sega's output this gen just hasn't been that good. Virtua Tennis 2, SC5 , chu chu rocket, REZ, on the DC is better than their current gen releases.

DC3(urgh)
CT3
SEGA GT (blurry and slowish)
GV (control nightmare)
JGRF (didn't like the direction the game took)
SONIC (urgh).

Nothing but crap, imo. Sold like turdballs too. And all this caused their studios to be disbanded/broken up. :cries for smilebit and UGA:

Has there been any new info that pegs PSU as a MMORPG fee based game, or is this all still from the E3 trailer and EGM rumours around the time?

Oh and I wish the people who say Sega is dead to them would have the courage of their convictions and actually have Sega be dead to them, rather than coming into Sega threads to repeatedly post how dead Sega is to them. Otherwise they're just a bunch of crybaby drama queens who like to throw hissy fits because the world isn't doing things like they want it to.

TheGreenGiant said:
prettty much agree with this post.

I know I plan to buy a GAMECUBE just for Sega games .. then why haven't you already. Bit ironic when you're slagging me off on the xbox side of things.

You ask why I haven't gotten a Gamecube....
Becuase of one simple reason..Money. I only use at the most $70 dollars a month on video games and related products, and of late I tend to buy cheaper games on sale. I was also waiting to see if Nintendo would sweeten the deal with a pack in game around the Holiday season. So after I get outrun 2, I plan to get a Nintendo Gamcube this holiday seaosn. I just got an x-box in May and been busy tracking down all the Sega games on that system first.

MS bitch fest? Where exactly did I target MS or the xbox. Their focus on the xbox is an undeniable stupido move. Lost market share; lose mindshare - so what if they cover their losses with MS money. I also bought the XBOX at launch for JRGF and I own most of the SEGA titles released but to be honest; I sold them because they were crap/rubbish. Sega's output this gen just hasn't been that good. Virtua Tennis 2, SC5 , chu chu rocket, REZ, on the DC is better than their current gen releases.

"Ms Bitch fest" as in you ALWAYS complain about who is supporting who. While I agree Sega's games have not sold the best, I tend not worry about the sales.

As for losing mindshare, they have been losing it since the saturn. For example, I bet if Sega released a new Streets of Rage game on PS2, that no one would remeber it in this day and age, becuase it has been years since that series has been released. People cna say Nintenod has been milking thier Franchise and that they are Kiddie but aleast they keep thier franchises in thier mind of each generation.

BTW the Dreamcast games are this Generation.

DC3(urgh)
CT3
SEGA GT (blurry and slowish)
GV (control nightmare)
JGRF (didn't like the direction the game took)
SONIC (urgh).

this is were you and I disagree:

I liked Gunvalkryie..it is hard to control at first but once you understand it ( I discoverd how to play the game by watching the demo) it is great. It is like the shinobi for PS2, either it clicks with you or it doesn't

I own Sega GT but haven't played it alot but it no slower then any other car simulator. If you like more Arcade racers I can understand you not liking the slower Speed. I will say I thought the graphics were good, maybe not as good as Project Gotham Racer, but still good.

Jet set Radio future. THIS game i loved! everyting about it. how someone could complain about it i don't know.

Crazy Taxi 3 ..is Crazy taxi, one could say this should have stayed a one hit wounder. I actually found Crazy Taxi 3 better then Crazy taxi 2 on the Dreamcat.

Sonic..if you played the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure then you knew what to expect from Sonic Heroes.

I cna't recall what the game DC 3 stands for? I own most of the Sega games on PS2 and X-Box.

for the Record, If Sega had said we are only developing for this one system ( as i suggested that they should have done) then I would have bought any system. Even the Gamecube over PS2 if Sega had developed for it exclusively, but Sega went the 3 system route.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:

so most of Sony's game that are online have only sold 100K?
Nope, only those that require the HDD (less than that actually)... the best selling is FFXI and it's numbers are about 400-500k total. Most others haven't broken 100k however... Everybody's Golf Online was a huge flop consifering the franchises strength (it's one of SCEJ's 2 guaranteed million selling brands).

Top Bottom