• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

iGbQuOkim3o76.bmp

So Fighting Vipers arrived today.

For whatever reason I'm not getting any sound effects when playing on SSF. Music is fine but voices, hits, etc...nothing.
Oh well it's no big deal.

Also just snagged Fighters Megamix off ebay. Yeah they're not exactly popular but I'm surprised nobody from the Fighting Vipers cast made their way onto DoA5. Characters like Candy/Honey & Grace would have been in there no problem.

IrishNinja

that's it, Seik...you're officially a member of that elite club, 90% of which likely posts on GAF, haha

i will never be allowed into the meetings so please grab me some wine & crackers on your way out if you could

Aaaaaand got it.

3MaZIcW.jpg

It's in perfect shape, can't ask for more. :D
Very nice, did you pay the extra $100 for the spine card? (Crazy...)

I'll join the club eventually, but I first need to know if I want to go for the spine cards or rationalize not to (it's a black or white thing, either I will go out of my way to get the spine cards or else I will sell back those I "accidentally" get with my purchases so my set of Jap Saturn games is uniform... OCD FTL).

Yes Boss!

I'll join the club eventually, but I first need to know if I want to go for the spine cards or rationalize not to (it's a black or white thing, either I will go out of my way to get the spine cards or else I will sell back those I "accidentally" get with my purchases so my set of Jap Saturn games is uniform... OCD FTL).

I think it is pretty irrational. I do 100% spine cards on my Saturn titles mainly because it means the collector/seller has likely taken better care of the game. That really is not the case though, as a lot of the stuff that comes out of japan is already mint. Yeah, but once you open that can of worms there is no going back as you will always be hunting for a complete copy.

Nah, he's not part of "THAT" club like us, your supreme commanders though :p

Still, it's a pretty legit copy.

Yeah, but once you open that can of worms there is no going back as you will always be hunting for a complete copy.
I fear you are right. I slayed the demon regarding NES/SNES boxes years ago and have absolutely no regrets (bottom line: most of these old cardoard boxes are just gross now, people didn't really take care of them). OBI strips though are so cool looking, especially the Saturn ones...

Question: Do you tuck away your spine cards inside the jewel case? That's what I used to do when I imported Japanese CDs back in the day, but I have also seen people placing the spine card inside the case, but over the manual, so you can see it without having to open the case (hopefully you get what I mean).

Nah, he's not part of "THAT" club like us, your supreme commanders though :p
LOL

I fear you are right. I slayed the demon regarding NES/SNES boxes years ago and have absolutely no regrets (bottom line: most of these old cardoard boxes are just gross now, people didn't really take care of them). OBI strips though are so cool looking, especially the Saturn ones...

Question: Do you tuck away your spine cards inside the jewel case? That's what I used to do when I imported Japanese CDs back in the day, but I have also seen people placing the spine card inside the case, but over the manual, so you can see it without having to open the case (hopefully you get what I mean).

LOL

I personally put them inside the manual to minimize any potential risk of damage on them.

Yeah, thinking about it, that's what I would tend to do.

There is a really clean copy of Blast Wind (+ obi) on ebay right now: $220 BIN. Is it the ballpark for that game? Hopefully this, Hyper Duel and Radiant Silvergun are the only STGs commanding crazy money (i.e. $100+) on Saturn.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I tuck them in in the middle of the book and never look at them again. Something I used to do when I bought import music CDs in the late eighties and nineties. Ironically, I don't give one fig about the actual jewel case. I make an effort to keep them nice but I don't put them in baggies or anything. It is mostly my shmup collection and I want them easy to pull off the shelf...they get wear and it does not faze me. I too slayed a lot of collecting dragons over the years. Here is my basic simple collecting policy and systems which serves me well:

NES/Famicom: Cart (if US, then black plastic slip case)
SMS: Plastic case and instruction
Genesis/MD: Plastic Case and instruction
SNES: Cart only
Super Famicom: Cart only
PCE/TG-16 Hu: Full Case and manual
PCE CD: Everything including Obi
TG-16 CD: Just Case and manual
Neo Geo AES: Shockbox and manual
Saturn Japanese: Everything including Obi
N64: cart only
PS1 Japan: Everything including Obi
PS1 US: Just black label
DC Japan: Case and manual. If it is a shmup then 100%
GB/GBC/GBA: cart only.

Systems: system only. If it comes with a box I might keep it for packing an moving, though.

There is a really clean copy of Blast Wind (+ obi) on ebay right now: $220 BIN. Is it the ballpark for that game? Hopefully this, Hyper Duel and Radiant Silvergun are the only STGs commanding crazy money (i.e. $100+) on Saturn.

That is waaayyyy too high for that game. Should be $100-130-ish.

Blast Wind is soooooooo fucking not worth it even at $150, much less that.

Yeah, I tuck them in in the middle of the book and never look at them again. Something I used to do when I bought import music CDs in the late eighties and nineties. Ironically, I don't give one fig about the actual jewel case. I make an effort to keep them nice but I don't put them in baggies or anything. It is mostly my shmup collection and I want them easy to pull off the shelf...they get wear and it does not faze me. I too slayed a lot of collecting dragons over the years. Here is my basic simple collecting policy and systems which serves me well:

NES: Cart (black plastic slip case)
Genesis: Plastic Case and instruction
SNES: Cart only
Saturn Japanese: Everything including Obi
N64: cart only
PS1 US: Just black label
DC Japan: Case and manual. If it is a shmup then 100%
Wow, and I thought I was spending a lot on retro gaming: the idea of PC Engine and (especially) Neo Geo collecting has me trembling with fear! lol

Great, coherent way to go about it. I do the same thing you do regarding the above. I assume you make sure to have the case/instructions for cardboard boxed Genesis games?

I would add the following "rules" for portable game collecting:
Game Boy: clear plastic case
Game Boy Color: box, manual (mainly because I was lucky to find mint copies of the few games I wanted)
Game Boy Advance: box, manual
DS/3DS: case, manual
PSP: case, manual

Edit:
Blast Wind: yeah, one with spine card sold for $220 or something this week. It's too bad that the soundtrack is too muted compared to the sound effects; I would have probably bought it at even that price, but that issue keeps me from going all in with that game.

Thanks for the comments guys but where, other than ebay, did you guys get those Saturn shooters?

IrishNinja

yeah, cardboard boxes suck for migrant life - universal game cases solved so much of this for me, and look good with printed covers to boot

saturn/DC i just do in DVD cases these days, come at me bros!

Seik

Banned
No spine card for me, but I can easily deal with it, my Radiant Silvergun and many other of my games don't have it, I just consider it as a plus, like 'eh...cool, why not' when I have it included.

Ew,

Looked at completed auctions and they are selling for $150-200+ Madness.

Got it for 200$ ;_;

Tales from the mobile ebayer... I was watching some US Saturn games from a UK seller (complete). A Family launch at the restaurant was a bit late and I decided to stealth bid using my cell phone. One of the games was Clockwork Knight, I wanted to bid GBP 12.04. MY cellphone configuration of dot and comma was a Little bit mixed up and it auto corrected to GBP 12,040.00. I could not correct the bid in time using my phone. The auction ended at GBP 20 (around US$ 32). Did I overpay for it?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Tales from the mobile ebayer... I was watching some US Saturn games from a UK seller (complete). A Family launch at the restaurant was a bit late and I devided to stealth bid using my cell phone. One of the games was Clockwork Knight, I wanted to bid GBP 12.04. MY cellphone configuration of dot and comma was a Little bit mixed up and it auto corrected to GBP 12,040.00. I could not correct the bid in time using my phone. The auction ended at GBP 20 (around US$ 32). Did I overpay for it?

Well, what I can tell you is that it is not worth 12,040 GBP.

Ew,

Looked at completed auctions and they are selling for $150-200+ Madness.

That is nuts.

I remember buying Blast Wind for $20 several years ago. I traded it for Twinkle Star Sprites not too long after(mainly because I thought BW was mediocre).

So of course Blast Wind balloons in price and TSS doesn't even budge in value.

Teknoman

I always thought Blast Wind was going to be cheap just based on the fact that its not considered that great. I wonder what shot up its price?

2 Factors for Blastwind high price :

- Very few copies were shipped in Japan when it came out. It was rare to buy it even back then.
- From Technosoft and with a Technosoft soundtrack ( Justice ray part 1 to name just one).

2 Factors for Blastwind high price :

- Very few copies were shipped in Japan when it came out. It was rare to buy it even back then.
- From Technosoft and with a Technosoft soundtrack ( Justice ray part 1 to name just one).

Yeah, both of those are important factors. And I at least think that it's also a lot of fun to play. I wish I owned Blast Wind, I want it more than Hyper Duel.

Yes Boss!

Yeah I paid $130 for it, regret nothing since I love Technosoft.

Yeah, I think I paid about $125 last summer.. No regrets here. Not like I was not going to put it in my collection...it is a Technosoft game. I think I paid about $200 for Hyper Duel. I still need Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 to complete the Technosoft shooters.

Dereck

I know, I've owned one, but it still doesn't match the real thing.

If you're stuck with an HDTV for classic gaming, however, something like the XRGB3 would be a good investment (though it's quite pricey). It does a great job transforming the video signal into something that actually resembles a real interlaced monitor.

With the transcoder I use, however, you're limited to using European cables. It's technically possible to use Japanese cables but you'll have to move some of the pins around within the scart connector (which can be simple or difficult depending on the cable).

Here's what I'm using, by the way.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I bought this, but what do you do about the lack of red+white inputs for sound, does that not matter?

EDIT: double post

Hi saturnGAF I have an emulation question. I'm using SSF right now and using Virtual Clone Drive to mount the games to play, but for some reason the emulator doesn't want to play the game and I'm stuck with a black screen. I double checked to make sure the cd drive box in options has the VCD as the drive, but still nothing. The only game I can get to work is die hard arcade. Any help would be appreciated.

For the people who've played Shinobi X/Legions, your impression of the game?
Honestly, it was better than I expected.

I appreciated the decision to finally decouple the shuriken and sword attacks to separate buttons instead of making them context sensitive like the previous games. For a digitized graphics game, it controls smooth and the hit detection is good. It's still ugly as sin and can't hold a candle to the Genesis Shinobi games, but I went in with low expectations and got a decent game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, it was better than I expected.

I appreciated the decision to finally decouple the shuriken and sword attacks to separate buttons instead of making them context sensitive like the previous games. For a digitized graphics game, it controls smooth and the hit detection is good. It's still ugly as sin and can't hold a candle to the Genesis Shinobi games, but I went in with low expectations and got a decent game.

It's actually not that bad, but yeah, definitely don't go in expecting something on the level of Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi III. It ain't that. The game feels a bit too clunky, and the level design is downright bad at times. A lot of cheap deaths. I finished the game, but only because I was rip-roaringly drunk and making fun of the game with some friends.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well guys the good news is I found a Saturn RPG from Atlus in very good condition at a thrift store today. It was complete and the case didn't have a single crack on it. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but after checking ebay for complete copies, this was clearly the lower price. The bad news is.....

Well I'm not proud of EVERY purchase I make, it at least pads my tiny Saturn collection a little more.

Watched a gameplay video of this on YouTube a while back... it was so bad I couldn't stop watching. The devil in the game is amazingly cool. It's cool to have a few lolworthy games in the collection, like Ring King for NES.

P.S. Any firsthand impressions of the game?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well I played it for about 20 minutes. It randomly generates the world so no 2 playthroughs are the same. It chugs at 5 fps ALL the time. I might play through a quest one day if I'm bored, but until then it's just going to the shelf.

Well guys the good news is I found a Saturn RPG from Atlus in very good condition at a thrift store today. It was complete and the case didn't have a single crack on it. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but after checking ebay for complete copies, this was clearly the lower price. The bad news is.....

Well I'm not proud of EVERY purchase I make, it at least pads my tiny Saturn collection a little more.

I remember jokingly linking footage to this game claiming it was footage of pre-patch PC Dark Souls lol

Top Bottom