• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Probably because that's what the model 2 Saturn looked like in Japan. Remember that the Japanese model 1 system is grey.

True! Am I the only one that thinks the black Saturns are the best looking. I get it people want to get their hands on all the Japanese exclusive titles in Japan and buy the white/grey one from there, but man it doesn't look good imo. One thing is the white, but the coloured buttons, cartridge slot and the controller look stupid I think, especially the pink buttons.

Yeah, both of those are important factors. And I at least think that it's also a lot of fun to play. I wish I owned Blast Wind, I want it more than Hyper Duel.

I like Blastwind as much as Hyperduel. Very fun shoot but very short and easy.
I bought it at the time of the release back then - sold it ( with other saturn games:/ ) to buy my japanese DC and found it back in 2003 for 55 $ with spincard in MINT.

Do no regret one bit !

Slermy

True! Am I the only one that thinks the black Saturns are the best looking. I get it people want to get their hands on all the Japanese exclusive titles in Japan and buy the white/grey one from there, but man it doesn't look good imo. One thing is the white, but the coloured buttons, cartridge slot and the controller look stupid I think, especially the pink buttons.

Nope.

Black is best.

Then again, I also prefer the Model 2 Genesis over the Model 1, thought the Gamecube was well designed, and think the N64 controller is comfortable.

I really like the look of the original gray J-Saturn.

Black Saturns are nice, but the North American logo is so ugly! A black Saturn with the slick JP insignia would look great.

astonish

Remember the silver Saturns? God damn they would have been hot!

I like the white/black saturns the best. Regret not grabbing a while one while in Japan

I like both the White and Black Saturns (and their respective logos) equally.

I really want to get a white one with the corresponding controllers one of these days, though.

Yeah, I like the black Saturn. The white one looks like it'd be nice too, though I haven't seen one in person. Either of those probably is better than grey...

It'd have been interesting to see a special edition one or something that was pale yellow. You know, like the planet.

I have both a black US and a white JP Saturn. I don't think I can really play favorites; I like 'em both.

Although I like the US BIOS bootup more, tbh. JP one's a bit too bombastic for me.

Mikhal

Got another batch of Saturn games from Surugaya and I am a bit disappointed. I specifically ordered the normal version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Dead or Alive from their shop but they ended up sending me the game portion of the cardboard boxed editions. I'm normally not that anal cause I don't care about spine cards or registration cards and such when buying games, but I hate the fact that a majority of the Saturn jewel cases that were in a box set does not come with a back insert! To add insult to injury, I could have just spent an extra 100 yen or whatever an extra 4M RAM cart and cardboard box on top for XvSF.

PS: Skeleton Saturn is best Saturn.

Bar81

saturn_skeleton.jpg

That is all.

Got another batch of Saturn games from Surugaya and I am a bit disappointed. I specifically ordered the normal version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Dead or Alive from their shop but they ended up sending me the game portion of the cardboard boxed editions. I'm normally not that anal cause I don't care about spine cards or registration cards and such when buying games, but I hate the fact that a majority of the Saturn jewel cases that were in a box set does not come with a back insert! To add insult to injury, I could have just spent an extra 100 yen or whatever an extra 4M RAM cart and cardboard box on top for XvSF.

PS: Skeleton Saturn is best Saturn.

There are copies of XvSF that got a standalone release without the RAM cart and comes with the back inserts, I think. But they're a lot harder to track down than say... Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, where the inverse is true: It's easier to find the standalone version than the cardboard box RAM cart bundle.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you're going skeleton, get the Derby version instead, IMO.

It's similar to that without the silly "This is COOL" printed on the lid.

I have the Derby Saturn. I think it's slightly lighter, in addition to not having This is Cool plastered on the system.

I don't need to be told this is cool, Sega.

I bought the thing.

I wouldn't have if I thought it was fucking lame.

Like the N64.

So, Magic Knight Rayearth is a game I've been wanting to play for a long time, and for some reason the only Working Designs game that I didn't own back in the day. I think I'm finally going to give it a go on my next day off. I've been feeling nostalgic for old Saturn jrpgs lately. How does it stack up next to the rest of the WD games?

Danny Dudekisser

Oddly, I've always thought the original US Saturn controller looked the coolest. I dunno. Maybe cuz it was all angular and chunky. It looked like a controller designed for a Man. Never actually used one though.

... cuz I didn't even have a Saturn till 2008.

Yes Boss!

II wouldn't have if I thought it was fucking lame.

Like the N64.

Honest question, and not trying to be a bastard. But what is your hang-up with the N64?

Did you actually not get to play Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Waverace, Ocarina, Majora, Banjo, Mario Kart, Diddy, F-Zero X, Paper Mario?

So, Magic Knight Rayearth is a game I've been wanting to play for a long time, and for some reason the only Working Designs game that I didn't own back in the day. I think I'm finally going to give it a go on my next day off. I've been feeling nostalgic for old Saturn jrpgs lately. How does it stack up next to the rest of the WD games?
I can't really compare it to other WD games, but it's a pretty good Zelda-esque game (at least in terms of combat; not so much in terms of world layout).

Hate that stealth segment, loved everything else.

Nothing Saturn beats the Derby.

Derby------->White--->Grey-->This is Cool-------------------------->US Cheap Black

For me it's the Hi Saturn Navi above all else.

Let's see if this image will link...

hisatnavi.gif

I have actually talked off an on with a local guy who has a Derby Saturn. I almost bought it from him last year but needed to save money for a trip. I don't really have anything I feel like selling off right now or I might give him a call to see if he still has it.

Danny Dudekisser

Honest question, and not trying to be a bastard. But what is your hang-up with the N64?

Did you actually not get to play Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Waverace, Ocarina, Majora, Banjo, Mario Kart, Diddy, F-Zero X, Paper Mario?

Lol, I really don't have anything against the N64, but I'm amused by the fact there's a thread for pretty much every retro system except for that one, and that it seems to be so tough to come up with more than a handful of games worth playing now, even with rose-tinted lenses. It's the only system I've owned where I have almost no positive memories of the thing. But yeah, I found the thing buried deep in the closet a couple of weeks ago, so I busted it out and played a bunch of games I'd bought for it over the years, and was reminded of why I finally took the plunge and bought a PS1. Thus, it's my current whipping boy.

cj_iwakura

You'll love it. Hilarious writing. It was in their fourth-wall breaking prime, fair warning. I'm pretty sure an NPC references Elvis at some point.

Examine EVERYTHING!

501.jpg

502.jpg

And!

mk5t.jpg

You'll love it. Hilarious writing. It was in their fourth-wall breaking prime, fair warning. I'm pretty sure an NPC references Elvis at some point.

Examine EVERYTHING!
Looks like classic Working Designs. Can't wait to play it. Definitely a game I want to take my time with and really enjoy.

Highly recommended game. Very fun and full of heart (I'm no anime fan). Cost me $100 to import back in December '98 and ended up buying again last winter because I regretted selling my original copy.

Yes Boss!

Lol, I really don't have anything against the N64, but I'm amused by the fact there's a thread for pretty much every retro system except for that one, and that it seems to be so tough to come up with more than a handful of games worth playing now, even with rose-tinted lenses. It's the only system I've owned where I have almost no positive memories of the thing. But yeah, I found the thing buried deep in the closet a couple of weeks ago, so I busted it out and played a bunch of games I'd bought for it over the years, and was reminded of why I finally took the plunge and bought a PS1. Thus, it's my current whipping boy.

Oh, I just saw you mention it in a few threads and was wondering.

Not that many games but the half dozen that are classics are Quadruple A. I'll always love it as it was my favorite system during that gen until the DC came in. I had a PS1 but never really dove in that much beyond the early games (but I've been catching up). Fond memories of getting all those classic Nintendo franchises in 3D and a few amazing games that have never been topped like, Waverace. And, I'm one of those Mario fans who still think 64 is the best in the franchise, better than 3 and the Galaxies. But, yeah, finite collection and no real thread needed. System is even hard to mod for RGB. I always liked the notion that the hardware was basically reused in the DS which become one of the best-selling gaming hardware of all time.

lupin23rd

Wow, I just sold a copy of XMen vs. Street Fighter and assumed my friend had lost the insert before he gave it to me since his other stuff was pretty beat up as well. Haha

Oh, I just saw you mention it in a few threads and was wondering.

Not that many games but the half dozen that are classics are Quadruple A. I'll always love it as it was my favorite system during that gen until the DC came in. I had a PS1 but never really dove in that much beyond the early games (but I've been catching up). Fond memories of getting all those classic Nintendo franchises in 3D and a few amazing games that have never been topped like, Waverace. And, I'm one of those Mario fans who still think 64 is the best in the franchise, better than 3 and the Galaxies. But, yeah, finite collection and no real thread needed. System is even hard to mod for RGB. I always liked the notion that the hardware was basically reused in the DS which become one of the best-selling gaming hardware of all time.

I think the N64 was kind of a turning point for Nintendo and Nintendo systems. From consoles with great 3rd party support and a lot of amazing games to consoles with only great 1st party support and a few amazing must have games. I mean, the SNES was a console to get to play all major games from all companies, the N64 was a console to gey to play the great (few) Nintendo games. Of course it was related to the decision to not use cds. Every Nintendo system after N64 was essencial only to play Nintendo games.

This change of direction was not well received by most games, and The N64 suffers the blame the most.

Yes Boss!

I think the N64 was kind of a turning point for Nintendo and Nintendo systems. From consoles with great 3rd party support and a lot of amazing games to consoles with only great 1st party support and a few amazing must have games. I mean, the SNES was a console to get to play all major games from all companies, the N64 was a console to gey to play the great (few) Nintendo games. Of course it was related to the decision to not use cds. Every Nintendo system after N64 was essencial only to play Nintendo games.

This change of direction was not well received by most games, and The N64 suffers the blame the most.

It is strange but for Saturn I don't have any first-party games except for Panzer Saga. DC, all I had were first-party games. I'd buy every first-party games, getting totally excited for things like Confidential Mission and 18 Wheeler.

Which begs the question, what are some of the must-have first-party Saturn games to get? Astal is the only one on my radar at the moment.

kunonabi

Actually picked up my own copy of Magic Knight Rayearth at a convention over the weekend:

I also grabbed Pilotwings 64 and a pal version of Lost Window.

Is there any reason to get any of the Sakura Wars entries on Saturn instead of the DC ports?

Yakumo

Banned
I really like the look of the original gray J-Saturn.

Black Saturns are nice, but the North American logo is so ugly! A black Saturn with the slick JP insignia would look great.
Quoted for truth. To be honest I don't like the black Saturn. The western black Saturns look cheap where as my black Hitachi Saturn doesn't. Different plastic used? But yeah, the western Saturn logo is nasty compared to the sleek Japanese logo. The Japanese Mega Drive logo is also better than the western one but the PAL Mega Drive logo is far better than Genesis. man, that is ugly and looks even worse with a massive Genesis logo right across the top of the US MD.

IrishNinja

I'm assuming the market for s-video cables dried up a bit, this overpriced $50 one i'm trying to sell didn't get bought this week! that's what i get for not putting RARE L@@K in the title

also dont know if its still there but a dude on my local CL is selling panzer 1 & 2 for $70...dont know how good a deal that is but im broke anyway

I'm assuming the market for s-video cables dried up a bit, this overpriced $50 one i'm trying to sell didn't get bought this week! that's what i get for not putting RARE L@@K in the title

also dont know if its still there but a dude on my local CL is selling panzer 1 & 2 for $70...dont know how good a deal that is but im broke anyway

You should have made sure it was listed to come up in every console related search. Every week or so pages of snes, n64, and several other things pop up on Saturn searches just to make me rage out.

Also that seems like a good price for complete US versions with no scratches or anything. I just recently got 2 for a combined $80 with shipping but probably overpaid.

IrishNinja

You should have made sure it was listed to come up in every console related search. Every week or so pages of snes, n64, and several other things pop up on Saturn searches just to make me rage out.

Also that seems like a good price for complete US versions with no scratches or anything. I just recently got 2 for a combined $80 with shipping but probably overpaid.

haha yeah i hate people doing that, its the fad on craiglist & ebay too

nah i think 2 is loose, 1 is complete though...felt possibly too high either way

haha yeah i hate people doing that, its the fad on craiglist & ebay too

nah i think 2 is loose, 1 is complete though...felt possibly too high either way

Two is the more valuable one anyway, so yeah good call on passing on it.

Also bigger Craigslist problem is all the "BUYING RETRO VIDEO GAMES AND SYSTEMS" for any search.

nesboy43

Banned
I love the Sega Saturn, what a great system full of classic styled video games. Panzer Dragoon games are all amazingly well designed. Not a big fan of Nights but loved the other Sonic Team game, Burning Rangers. Radiant Silver Gun is a lot of fun as well.

I like classic arcade style action games but am a fan of anything that is well designed. Any Saturn gems I should try? Is Shining Force III worth trying? Any imports are fine too because I have the Action Replay 4in1 Cartridge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I bought this, but what do you do about the lack of red+white inputs for sound, does that not matter?

EDIT: double post
For audio you'll need some way to extract the sound. You could either use a small SCART coupler with audio out or use a SCART switcher with independent audio output and then run the switcher into the transcoder for video.

Hopefully folks have finally seen the light re: RGB, and no longer mess with silly inferior signals.
Recently I saw some boxed 1st-party S-Video cables sell for around $30 on eBay, so the market has definitely cooled off there.

Is there any reason to get any of the Sakura Wars entries on Saturn instead of the DC ports?
They're cheaper on Saturn, aren't they?

reson8or

Yeah, I think I paid about $125 last summer.. No regrets here. Not like I was not going to put it in my collection...it is a Technosoft game. I think I paid about $200 for Hyper Duel. I still need Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 to complete the Technosoft shooters.

Its short, and a bit shallow, and at face value not especially impressive, but I find it great fun, that has the Technosoft feel. Also I tend to love fast scrolling shooters.

I'm getting real sick of some of these ebay resellers. One in particular I am noticing on like every one of the good rare Saturn and Sega CD games driving the prices up. Wouldn't be as bad but the guy doesn't even post pictures of the items like a week later when he is reselling for a ton more.

Hate the system that there is no downside to being a jerk. Drive the prices up and even if you lose they are still closer to the terrible prices you are selling your stuff for.

IrishNinja

best thing that could happen is to have the market crash down around him, but the saturn market might not be as likely as the SNES on, i think

best thing that could happen is to have the market crash down around him, but the saturn market might not be as likely as the SNES on, i think

I'm sure this is why he seems to only be active in sega games. Only a handful of the rare Saturn and CD games pass though every week and I see his fucking paws on most of them. There are a few that do it, but I just notice this one more then the others it seems.

Top Bottom