• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega's new weapon fighting game for PS2 announced

neo2046

PS2 / Sega / Red Entertainment / Dec 2004 /
Rurou Kenshin's writer be the character design

up6349.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm interested. Hiring a reputable (depending on who you ask OF COURSE) manga artist for character designs atleast shows that Sega is somewhat serious about this new franchise.

It would be pretty fun to have a new serious, strictly samurai/ninja fighting game.

The last few days has been very Sega Intensive in the area of gaming news. The extra tracks in Outrun2, Monkey Ball DX confirmed, Talk of Monkey ball 3 going multiplatform and now this new Fighting game.

doncale

Banned
on topic: looks promising since it's a fighter from Sega with weapons.

off-topic: I wish the Daytona franchise could share in this recent Sega intensity, not counting Outrun 2's goodies.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah even if it sucks I'll get it for the Watsuki Nobuhiro characters. Besides the short-lived western he did, he's always been an enjoyable artist and storyteller. I wonder if they'll let him do the story and basically have non-gameplay control like how Nightow had with Gungrave.

Btw, they should just steal the VF4 engine. I mean they do own the rights to freely use it right?. A VF4 engine would at least garuntee it wouldn't look like a crappy bloody roar level fighter.

*edit* wait is this even a fighting game? The scans make it seem like an action game aka. Samurai/Fuun Shinsengumi.

drohne said:
i hope it's more like bushido blade than soul calibur.

I second that. I love Soul Calibur 1&2, but I truly believe that a game with a life meter cannot capture the intensity and danger of combat with swords. Of course, the top has a bar of some sorts that may be split into two life bars, so that is probably out.

Ah, a (good) Bushido Blade type game with Watsuki characters would be second in my dreams only to Tenchu followup set in Kyoto 1864-8 with playable Sachou and Imperial forces that let you join Shinsen Gumi (for more action style play), Oniwa Banshu (for more traditional Tenchu ninja style), or Sachou Hitokiri or thugs (and has a secret playable Hitokiri Battousai and Saitoh Hajime). Of course, music by Noriyuki Asakura aside, Tenchu and Rurouni Kenshin share little else now, since Sony (who made the anime for Kenshin) no longer handles Tenchu. I have dreamed of a game like this since long before the Soul of the Samurai and Fuun Shinsengumi games were released.

Takuan

Wow, that's just about the most boring cast of characters I've ever seen in a fighting game. What we can make of the screens looks pretty bad, too. Still, I want to hear and see more of this just because of the samurai aspect, and that it's from Sega. I'm also for a more Bushido Blade style than Soul Calibur like Tekuno.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Need more info. Need color pictures/video.

And yes, Bushido Blade style would be much better. I've been wanting a good Bushido Blade-esque game for some time now.

ourumov

Could it be a decent 3rd installment of samurai fighting ? I always wanted a decent 3D title...Never tried Bushido Blade btw.

Milkman

I'm still looking for that Model 3 Last Bronx sequel they were supposedly doing before they split all the Sega dev teams up.

jarrod

Banned
Milkman said:
I'm still looking for that Model 3 Last Bronx sequel they were supposedly doing before they split all the Sega dev teams up.
Last Bronx 2 was scheduled for Naomi, not Model 3.

Miburou

sp0rsk said:
see: otogi.

The keyword here is "fighting", as in a 1-in-1 fighting game, not "action".

BTW, are you sure that game's set in the Heian period? Does Abe no Seimei make an appearance?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Miburou said:
The keyword here is "fighting", as in a 1-in-1 fighting game, not "action".

BTW, are you sure that game's set in the Heian period? Does Abe no Seimei make an appearance?

well, i dont think its the same person, but he is wearing the outfit of an onmyouji.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The last few days has been very Sega Intensive in the area of gaming news. The extra tracks in Outrun2, Monkey Ball DX confirmed, Talk of Monkey ball 3 going multiplatform and now this new Fighting game.

ZZzzzzzz...

Outrun 2 is their only crown jewel IMO. Wake me up when another godly VO game is released, or a Model 2/3 Collection disc.

Top Bottom