• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't know if Smarky replies like this really are good for business, that's why I'm booking you in a triple threat no dq match tonight.

I didnt even realize triple threat matches weren't all no DQ till last night. Thanks AJ. Who even technically wins a triple threat match that ends in DQ? How does that even work?

qOze0.gif

gurudyne

Summer of "YES!"

Is this even a question?

-Runs through the Shield several times over, establishing himself as crazy-energetic-fun superstar to the audience and breaking out of the comedy tag team he was in (that he also rocked)
-Great match with Ryback, another pair of greats with Orton leading to a fast elevation back into the ME scene
-Run of excellent matches all summer long, including wrecking shit at MitB. Largely responsible for ratings spike and crowds as hot as June 2011.
-Beats Cena clean at SummerMania
-Feuding with HHH and the McMahons for WWE top spot.
-Ice cream bars imminent

EDIT: @ Liquidsnake, above: when is that from?

somedevil

WWE star Christian suffered a concussion in his August 26 match against Randy Orton on Raw. Christian has been pulled from all activity according to WWE.com. The story notes his concussion test scores are normal, but Christian continues to have problems with "fogginess and cloudiness

Man, the WWE is a bit light on talent right now. Christian with the concussion, Fandango with the broken nose, Mark Henry with the hamstring and Cody Rhodes out for a couple of weeks for the marriage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fandango can just borrow Rhodes's mask, problem solved. The other two weren't really involved with any of the current story lines.

Man, the WWE is a bit light on talent right now. Christian with the concussion, Fandango with the broken nose, Mark Henry with the hamstring and Cody Rhodes out for a couple of weeks for the marriage.

¿How come you didn't mention Sin Cara being sidelined with a dislocated dedo, puto?

somedevil

not like they used any of them anyway

Well, Mark Henry was going to be teaming with the Big Show to face the shield at night of champions which is now not going to happen. It seems its possible that Prime Time players will get that spot.

Also, Cody got a benefit out of it by being pushed into this angle to show up again in a month.

strobogo

Banned
I wonder what the WrassleGaf hierarchy looks like and where I'm ranked?

You are obviously the Sin Cara of WrassleGaf. You may get special lighting, but you job constantly, can't make a post without botching, and spend most of the shows digging in the trash in the back. You might get to beat one of 3MB on Superstars every other month.

You are obviously the Sin Cara of WrassleGaf. You may get special lighting, but you job constantly, can't make a post without botching, and spend most of the shows digging in the trash in the back. You might get to beat one of 3MB on Superstars every other month.
You're the Curt Hawkins of WrassleGaf because you're both white.

OH MAN. This popped up in my RSS feed earlier, just got to reading it. I had no idea it was about XWT!

Article On Torrentfreak about Xtreme Wrestling Torrents

Choice Quote:

A company called Ring of Honor Wrestling has hired Takedown Piracy (TDP) to put XWT under pressure. The email exchange between TDP’s Nate Glass and the XWT admin started in a standard way (professionally formatted “remove illegal torrents” style) but as can be seen from the quotes below, the conversation quickly got more heated.

“These torrents will NOT be removed,” responded the XWT admin, sparking the problems.

tldr; ROH (and apparently Nigel/Colt) hires anti-pirate company to stop people pirating their stuff. They send DMCA notices to XWT, XWT claims they won't remove anything under any circumstances. They do the song and dance about how there's no way to get to them, etc etc etc. Takedown Piracy in turn goes after their payment accounts, making it nigh impossible to keep the site going.

For those who remember, I had to deal with them too with CZW stuff, and basically did the same deal with them.

Key differences: Once we had our conversation, most of the stuff stopped getting uploaded for CZW anyway. I also went the route of finding the uploaders (not difficult) and shut it down that way. It's only about buying a couple days, after all.

It's also entirely possible that TDP were the ones hitting them with DDOS attacks, but not confirmed at this point.

TDP's account below (though I can't access it now, as I'm sure they got DDOS'd too)

TDP's Account

tldr; XWT is probably fucked. Should've played ball, kids. Once an anti-pirate company gets on your gait, you're basically done. They're like pitbulls.

Toki767

Randy Orton's an unsafe worker. This is what he does with his main event push. He's clearly not ready like Kofi a few years ago.

somedevil

SmackDown ends with Orton standing over Bryan with the WWE Title.

Shocking absolutely no one at this point.

You missed a part:

* The Shield come out to a big pop and surround the ring. They have chosen Seth Rollins to face Daniel Bryan in tonight's main event. Good match. Bryan got the win after fighting off The Shield and hitting Rollins with the knee to the face. After the match, Randy Orton interrupts the celebration and attacks Bryan. SmackDown ends with Orton standing over Bryan with the WWE Title.

So he won the match after fending off 3 men and got sneaked attacked is a lot different than what happened Monday. He still seen as a star by the fans and gets the best pop so right now he is doing fine.

You missed a part:

* The Shield come out to a big pop and surround the ring. They have chosen Seth Rollins to face Daniel Bryan in tonight's main event. Good match. Bryan got the win after fighting off The Shield and hitting Rollins with the knee to the face. After the match, Randy Orton interrupts the celebration and attacks Bryan. SmackDown ends with Orton standing over Bryan with the WWE Title.

So he won the match after fending off 3 men and got sneaked attacked is a lot different than what happened Monday. He still seen as a star by the fans and gets the best pop so right now he is doing fine.

But he hasn't single handily destroyed Triple H by submitting him with a wristlock in 15 seconds!

dream

I can't lie, RKO laying out Daniel Bryan twice a week gets me at half-mast. It's almost like I'm fantasy booking or something. But I'm not! It's really happening!

strobogo

Banned
Is AJPW dead? I know they just had their second mass exodus, but I haven't heard anything about them in these threads in like a year. And before that, I haven't really heard anything about them in the past couple of years. Have they really become that bad?

Toki767

They're doing some weird thing with the divas on Smackdown. Like it should lead to Survivor Series but it most likely won't.

tm24

Is AJPW dead? I know they just had their second mass exodus, but I haven't heard anything about them in these threads in like a year. And before that, I haven't really heard anything about them in the past couple of years. Have they really become that bad?

Theyre doing some tourney soon that starts next week. But yeah, things arent going good. One of the recent shows only sold about 1300 tickets when 8 months ago they sold out the place with 4800 people

Aiii

So not worth it
Smackdown:

* Triple H kicks off this week's SmackDown and is holding a town hall meeting for everyone to air their grievances. The locker room is out watching from the stage. Triple H, Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox are in the ring. Triple H talks first about how he fired Cody Rhodes on RAW and what's best for business.

The Shield are also out, standing guard at the ring. Triple H wants nobody to be afraid for their jobs. He lets anyone step up and ask a question but nobody does. He says no butt kissing. Damien Sandow speaks up and says he supports Triple H firing Cody Rhodes. Triple H says Cody fired Cody. Kofi Kingston speaks up and says everyone is afraid and that's not best for business. Triple H talks about how the wrestlers' egos are out of control and says that's why Daniel Bryan isn't out here. Heath Slater speaks up but Triple H cracks jokes at him. Rob Van Dam says Cody getting fired wasn't cool and calls Triple H "dude." Ryback speaks up and doesn't like being called a bully. Ryback vs. Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston vs. Curtis Axel and RVD vs. Randy Orton is announced for tonight. Also, Bryan gets to pick The Shield member that he wants to face tonight. Triple H gives Randy Orton a grand introduction.

* Randy Orton vs. Rob Van Dam is up first. Alberto Del Rio is out for commentary. Another good, lengthy match. Orton dodged a Five Star frogsplash. Orton got the win with a RKO. During the match, Del Rio interfered and it was said he appeared to have injured his arm. After the match, Del Rio beat RVD down and left him laying.

* Backstage segment with Daniel Bryan and Renee Young. Bryan says WWE officials told him not to attend the town hall meeting earlier. He leaves it up to The Shield to name which member he will face tonight.

* A new vignette for Los Matadores airs.

* Segment with the Divas. AJ Lee talks with Alicia Fox and Aksana about Total Divas. AJ would rather put her title up against one of them than one of the girls from the show.

* Ryback vs. Dolph Ziggler is up next. Dean Ambrose is out on commentary. Ryback gets the win after Ambrose attacks Ziggler.

* Kofi Kingston vs. Curtis Axel in a non-title match is up next. Axel comes out to a huge pop and a "welcome home" from the hometown crowd. Paul Heyman is with him. Kofi gets the win with a SOS.

* Backstage segment with Renee Young and Paul Heyman talking about CM Punk.

* Naomi vs. Brie Bella is up next. Cameron, Eva Marie and Nikki Bella are at ringside. The match ends with no winner as AJ brings out the other Divas and they face off against the Total Divas.

* Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro come out with Zeb Colter as a Los Matadores vignette airs. Their opponents are The Usos. Cesaro and Swagger get the win.

* Triple H is forcing Big Show to face 3MB in a handicap match. Show squashed all three members and hit the knockout punch on Heath Slater for the win. Slater was helped to the back by referees.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Fall Brawl 9/13/98

I'm starting the Crown and Coke now, so half way through the show, things should start getting interesting. Bret Hart and DDP will start out in War Games, everyone else will come in randomly, and no longer do all men have to be in the match before it can be won. So, in theory, DDP or Bret would win the match before anyone else even enters.

TO THE BACK. The Cat and Norman Smiley are being pulled apart by security.

TO THE MEAN GENE.
He goes over some of the card before Chris Jericho walks out and claims that Goldberg has been complaining about competition. Jericho announces Jericho vs Goldberg Title vs Title tonight!

Dancing Fools vs British Bulldog/Jim Neidhart

"Bonus" match. Bonus for who? How is this a PPV match? I guess that one match where DF interfered in a Bulldog/Anvil match against PE is worthy to have a PPV match a month and a half later. Bulldog was looking awfully...bloaty. What a terrible match to start a PPV out. Just make the people feel like they wasted their money right off the bat. You're supposed to wait until the END of the show for that, WCW. The only notable thing about this match is that Bulldog was severely injured by bumping on the trap door that was built for Warrior. However, you can't really tell he was hurt besides having trouble getting Disco up for the power slam. And the bump was in the middle of the ring, which makes no sense to me as to why they'd put a trap door in the center of the ring. Why wouldn't you put that in the corner where no one would be bumping?

i5hC4T6bt3EnY.gif

TO THE BACK. Gene caught up with Scott Steiner and Buff. Scotty is trying to claim he is injured again and won't be able to wrestle. He has an ice pack in his underwear and a band aid on his arm. JoJo comes by and said this shit won't fly. JoJo rips up the doctor's note.

Chris Jericho vs "Goldberg" WCW TV Championship/WCW Championship

Jericho gets the full Goldberg entrance. They get lost again. Jericho's pyro were just little plooms of smoke. It upset him. Goldberg's pyro starts and when it ends, we see Goldberg is now about 5'2". MiniBerg hits a spear! Jericho gets up and kicks him in the face. Liontamer. Jericho is the new champion!

i3gZtQAndxUNq.gif

We're shown Cat interrupting an Armstrong Brother promo from Thunder and then having a pull apart with Norman Smiley.

Norman Smiley vs The Cat

Man, people paid for this show once upon a time. So far, this is Thunder. Because they're both brothers, Cat gives Norman 5 seconds to leave the ring. Norman doesn't leave. Instead, he drop kicks Cat to the floor. Cat gets the advantage and takes it back to the ring. Cat with some MOOEY TIE knees. Norman reverses one of them into a back suplex. Norman then hits a big stalling suplex. Smiley goes for a super belly to belly. Cat knocks him off and then does a top rope Feliner. I think maybe a toe touched Norman, so he does a normal one to end the match.

ibnqltaJq91FfF.gif

Scott Steiner vs Rick Steiner

They go right at it, hockey style. Rick gets the better of the exchange and lays Scott out with a Steinerline. Scott tries to run away and gets knocked into the crowd. Buff distracts the ref and Scot thits a low blow. Steinerline to Rick. Scott goes for the tiger bomb, and Rick turns it into a DDT. Buff gets rammed into the ring post. He appears to have reinjured his neck. The match stops. Trainers come out to check on Buff. Now EMTs and security come out with a stretcher. Buff is wheeled to the back. We get all the way to the ambulance. Buff is loaded in. Scott gets in with him. As soon as Rick turns around, Buff and Scott fly out and attack. It was a SWERVE! A SWERVE that lasted twice as long as the match that had 7 months of build. I'd be pretty pissed if I had paid for this show.

ibbDHKahSeM5fQ.gif

Let's recap so far: 2 unannounced matches that would be underwhelming even on Thunder, a Jericho joke match, and the Steiners FINALLY having their singles match only for it to go 5 minutes with no finish and Buff pulling a SWERVE that lasted at least 10 minutes. Over an hour into the show.

Silver King vs Juventud Guerrera WCW Cruiserweight Championship

I guess this is because Silver King beat up Juvi after their match on Thunder. Clearly deserved a PPV match. Standard lucha start, ending with a head scissors sending King to the floor. Juvi hits a springboard rana. King again hits his pop up drop kick move. Whirlybird snake eyes from King. That was pretty nifty. Tiltawhirl backbreaker. Kind of a muscle buster. Springboard splash to the floor. King is on a roll here. Juvi botches a pop up sunset flip. I wonder if they'll try it again. King goes for a piledriver, then lets it go, and they stand around talking out their next spot. Juvi gets to hit a pop up rana to make up for the sunset flip. Juvi hits a missile dropkick. King comes back with a big super kick. Super reverse rana from Juvi! Silver King somehow kicked out. He then reversed the Juvi Diver and is back on offense. What? How? He misses a moonsault. Juvi Driver and 450 for the win.

iNk6Ab4l7mV0p.gif

i6mOBQT2gMVMr.gif

Recap of the Lodi/Raven/Saturn angle

Saturn vs Raven For The Flock's Freedom

Kanyon is handcuffed to the turnbuckle to prevent him from interfering. This is the only match that has a chance of delivering tonight. Also, if Saturn loses, he will be Raven's permanent servant. Raven gets the early advantage. Saturn comes back with a springboard elbow. Superfly splash. Raven tries to suplex Saturn off the apron. Saturn instead knocks him to the floor and hits a dive on Raven and Lodi. He gets rammed into the guard rail. Raven drops a second rope elbow back in the ring. And another. Saturn comes out of a sleeper with a jaw breaker. Raven gets up and hits a series of snap mares. This match is not delivering. The chair gets brought into the ring. Drop toe hold. Flock members bring a table out to ringside. Kidman is told to do a SSP, but drop kicks Raven. SWERVE! DVD. Raven kicks out. Saturn hits a series of suplexes. Springboard leg drop. Juvi Driver. Rings of Saturn. Lodi breaks it up. Ref bump. Fucking WCW and their insistence on ref bumps in no DQ/cage matches. Kanyon uncuffs himself and hits the Flatliner. BANG! Saturn kicks out. He then hits Lodi with a DVD off the apron through a table. He gets back in the ring and gets hit with the Evenflow. Saturn kicks out. DVD! Saturn wins! The Flock is free!

ibxNQaPjYxIIgm.gif

Recap of the Hennig/Malenko cage match.

Dean Malenko vs Curt Hennig

Dean immediately goes crazy beating the shit out of Dean. Curt tries to bail to the floor, but Dean follows him out and dropkicks his knee against the guard rail. He also put the boots to Rude. Dean continues the assault on the knee in the ring. The only offense Hennig can get is eye pokes. Curt tries to leave. Dean drags him back and keeps working over the knee. Why is Dean getting 90% of the offense in a normal match, but Hennig got 90% of the offense in the cage match? Curt can't hit the Perfect Plex, but Dean can! And Rude breaks up the pin, of course. I don't think there has been a clean Hennig finish all year. Rude interrupts EVERY MATCH. They beat down Rude until Arn runs down for the save. They attack Arn's neck. Dean dominated this match. Too bad it was another bullshit nWo finish.

ibkloXStwC2KPi.gif

Scott Hall vs Konnan

Hall comes out with a cocktail. Apparently the story of this match will be that Hall is clearly drunk. Hall decides he wants to wrestle in the other ring. And then decides he wants to wrestle in the other other ring. This show has been straight up a scam. I can't believe WCW put this kind of after thought PPV on while the WWF was so red hot. Besides War Games, this has really ben a 3 hour Thunder. Fuck this match. Fuck this show. I would love for Bischoff to give honest opinions and answers about why he put so little effort into the summer and fall of WCW in 1998 when he knew Vince was blowing him away. No bullshit spin or blaming it on someone else. He was in charge and had final say and these last 3 months of been the most half assed bullshit WCW ever did, even with the personal knowledge of what would happen in 1999 and 2000. Hall takes a drink while performing an abdominal stretch. Konnan wins after Hall takes one too many drinks and he hits the X-Factor. Konnan kicked Hall's drink, because he's a fucking asshole.

it1LGdxMfWEO8.gif

War Games

Man. Fuck. I just watched this fairly recently when I watched the War Games DVD. It sucks. I know this going into it. This whole show has sucked. Bret and DDP start out. The opening period is 5 minutes. If one of these men can beat the other, they can avoid the other 7 men altogether. Bret tries to work over the arm, and then they get into a slap off. DDP hits a belly to belly. He tries for a 10 count punch in the corner and gets hit with a stun gun. DDT from Bret. Stevie Ray is the next man out. DDP fights both men off. Sting is the next man out. He goes after Stevie. He tries to dive over both rings, but barely makes it. Piper is the next guy. Man. Fuck WCW. They had the best roster in the world in 1998, yet they put on the most half assed PPV I think I've ever seen. I thought Road Wild sucked, and it did, but this is something else. It's literally a 3 hour Thunder with War Games as the main event. And a War Games where everyone is 40 and above or close to it. Stevie Ray is clearly only in there to take the pinfall. This is really neck and neck for Russo's Revenge as the worst War Games. Hogan came in a full minute before he was supposed to. There isn't even anything worth giffing. In fucking WAR GAMES. Warrior somehow injures himself by kicking the cage. That's the most noteworthy thing of this match. DDP wins after a Kanyon Cutter on Stevie Ray. BANG! He will face Goldberg at Halloween Havoc.

ibdELeCe0iafGw.gif

This PPV was pretty terrible. Honestly, I think even War Games could have been on Thunder and not felt out of place at all. This was legitimately embarrassing and offensive. This was as bad as Spring Stampede 2000. This might be the most half assed and randomly thrown together WCW PPV of all time. And that says a lot since pretty much all of the shows in 2000 were randomly thrown together and half assed. I mean what the fuck. The majority of the card were special "bonus" matches that were fucking stupid, awful, and had one show of build to begin with. This show is honestly is incomprehensible to me. There was absolutely zero effort put into it. More effort was put into Jay Leno wrestling than anything on this card. Jesus fuck.

To recap, 5 matches were "bonus" matches. One of them was a full on joke match. Two of them ended in DQ or no finish at all. That's particularly offensive in the Steiner match since that had been building since February and ended up being a 5 minute match with a 10 minute SWERVE being the main focus. There were 9 matches total. That means over half of them were made the night of the show. While the WWF was red hot, this is what WCW put out. What the fuck. I thought 1998 was prime WCW, but I was apparently wrong. I mean, this shit is better than 2000, but I've been pretty shocked at how shitty 1998 has been.

Top Bottom