• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sergio Sollima, Italian Director of Spaghetti Westerns, Dies at 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Versatile Italian director and screenwriter Sergio Sollima, who gained international cult status with a trio of groundbreaking spaghetti Westerns comprising Lee Van Cleef-starrer “The Big Gundown,” but was best known in Italy for exotic Indian pirate miniseries “Sandokan,” died on Wednesday in Rome. He was 94.

Sollima is survived by a daughter, Samantha, and a son, film and TV helmer Stefano Sollima, who directed hit Italo skeins “Crime Novel” and mob-themed “Gomorrah,” which is Italy’s all-time top TV export.

https://variety.com/2015/film/globa...for-spaghetti-westerns-dies-at-94-1201533774/

Next to Sergio Leone, this man was the next-best spaghetti western director around. His film The Big Gundown had a huge impact on me, featuring one of Ennio Morricone's greatest soundtracks.

Blader

I honestly had no idea he was even still alive, but 94 years is a damn good run.

The Big Gundown and Face to Face are excellent westerns, and I agree he's definitely the best non-Leone director for the genre. R.I.P.

DiscoJer

I would say Sergio Corbucci was the 2nd best director after Sergio Leone, but yeah, he was pretty good as well.

El Rey had been sporadically showing both of their movies (along with Enzo Castellari) this year.

R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom