• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several people killed in Muenster Germany when a car crashed into a crowd

Dunki

Situation so far

- At least 3 dead, 50 injured
. - Police are currently treating it as a terrorist attack
. - The attacker killed him self.
- Big area sealed off as police look for possible explosives.

Police in Münster, Germany are looking for two other suspects who are involved in the attack. People told to immediately avoid the city center.

Getting really sick of these attacks and yes we know probably who was behind it again ....

Wish our politicians would finally starting to do something about this...

Update: Looks like the person is German and had huge mental issues. Still not sure if its a terror attack or not. Depends on his motive.

Last edited:

Typhares

I almost can't believe that my first thought was 'it has been a while' instead of sadness or anger. Rip to the victims.

Dunki

Ok looks like it was a german with mental issues.

Most concerning is that the police is now searching for explosives in his house.

Just terrible. I'm sure a lot of injuries will result in permanent disabilities.

I kind of hate calling for moderation based on speech, but could we tag anyone who posts evidence-less politically motivated theories about perpetrators of these sorts of events as "Vultures"? Let them post, but let us know what their first thoughts are when they hear that people are killed or injured - "Oh, boy! Is it good for my team?"

It's really sickening to see people cheering for the perps to be some specific demographic that aligns with their ideology.

Moneal

Just terrible. I'm sure a lot of injuries will result in permanent disabilities.

I kind of hate calling for moderation based on speech, but could we tag anyone who posts evidence-less politically motivated theories about perpetrators of these sorts of events as "Vultures"? Let them post, but let us know what their first thoughts are when they hear that people are killed or injured - "Oh, boy! Is it good for my team?"

It's really sickening to see people cheering for the perps to be some specific demographic that aligns with their ideology.

Dont think anyone in this thread is cheering. These types of attacks have been perpetrated by a specific group for the majority of the time. No one is even making this political. Just putting out their assumptions on the motives and identity of the perpetrators, based on the past events like this.

Dont think anyone in this thread is cheering. These types of attacks have been perpetrated by a specific group for the majority of the time. No one is even making this political. Just putting out their assumptions on the motives and identity of the perpetrators, based on the past events like this.

Then use the stats related to those events to advance your ideology, not the individual event and the emotions that are interwoven into it.

And that is not to say that this is only done with attacks which fit the profile of an Islamic attack - I know certain people were crossing their fingers for the YouTube shooter to be an NRA member mad over gun videos being removed, for example. I just really dislike the manipulation of tying calls for action to my emotional response to a tragedy.

Moneal

Then use the stats related to those events to advance your ideology, not the individual event and the emotions that are interwoven into it.

And that is not to say that this is only done with attacks which fit the profile of an Islamic attack - I know certain people were crossing their fingers for the YouTube shooter to be an NRA member mad over gun videos being removed, for example. I just really dislike the manipulation of tying calls for action to my emotional response to a tragedy.

Are you complaining about the people in this thread or overall? Not understanding where your at. I don't see anyone trying to advance their ideology in this thread. If you mean overall I'm right there with you, its terrible and does need to stop.

Situation so far

Getting really sick of these attacks and yes we know probably who was behind it again ....

Wish our politicians would finally starting to do something about this...

Update: Looks like the person is German and had huge mental issues. Still not sure if its a terror attack or not. Depends on his motive.

Sorry, who did you think was behind it again?

I don't see that as advancing an Ideology. If they said this is why we need to deport muslims or something I could see that. That quote looks more like this to me.

It is still there by implication.

Even if what you say is back by the statistics, in terms of who tends to commit these type of attacks, the event itself is not the time to talk about it. Beyond it being disrespectful to the casualties, there are too many emotions running about that interfere with decision making. The worst laws are those made from the short-term emotions of an incident.

Moneal

Even if what you say is back by the statistics, in terms of who tends to commit these type of attacks, the event itself is not the time to talk about it. Beyond it being disrespectful to the casualties, there are too many emotions running about that interfere with decision making. The worst laws are those made from the short-term emotions of an incident.
Again there isn't an ideology being pushed by those assumptions. there is no implication to deport muslims or any thing of the sort. Was the assumption bad, sure. Was it pushing for some kind of policy change, no. Also the Topic creator was the one to correct the assumption and even add it to the original post.

mr2xxx

Banned
Turns out to be German 🙊 guess we can’t turn this into a anti-Muslim circle jerk.

Is Germany as bad as dealing with mental health issues as America? I assume it’s better from having access to mental health resources but is there still a large stigma against seeking help like the US?

Dunki

As a german this upsets me so I was more jumping to conclusions because this is what our current situation right now is given the recent events here. Was it bad? yeah maybe but I also corrected and posted about the incident that it was a german with mental health problems etc. Everyone makes mistakes so yes my wording could have been better.

As a german this upsets me so I was more jumping to conclusions because this is what our current situation right now is given the recent events here. Was it bad? yeah maybe but I also corrected and posted about the incident that it was a german with mental health problems etc. Everyone makes mistakes so yes my wording could have been better.

I guess I understand. Like I said, it was more of an implication than a direct statement.

As a catalan, it's infuriating to see spanish nationalists laughing and celebrating this.

Why is this the case?

Jon Neu

Banned
Why is this the case?

Have you not heard of the catalan independence & Puigdemont?

A german judge has declined the accusation of rebellion against Puigdemont (former catalan president sacked by Spain) from the spanish authorities. A popular journalist in Spain yesterday called for terrorism and violence against Germany (yeah, really), and today a lot of spanish nationalists are celebrating this.

Fucking disgusting.

TrainedRage

Banned

A german judge has declined the accusation of rebellion against Puigdemont (former catalan president sacked by Spain) from the spanish authorities. A popular journalist in Spain yesterday called for terrorism and violence against Germany (yeah, really), and today a lot of spanish nationalists are celebrating this.

Fucking disgusting.
source? disgusting indeed :mad:

Fucking disgusting.

I knew about Catalonia seeking independence, but had no idea about the charges stemming from that. It's kind of bizarre that Germany would do that, considering that Catalonia becoming independent would not have been good for the EU.

Jon Neu

Banned
source? disgusting indeed :mad:

Here is the popular journalist calling for the bombing of bars in Baviera and saying "we have 200.000 potential german hostages in Mallorca".

Here are the political party of Ciudadanos giving support to Federico Jimenez Losantos (the journalist) after he said all that.

Here are spanish nationalist all over internet celebrating this tragedy. You don't want me to translate what they are saying.

And you have a popular Madrid digital paper saying: "Karma exists!".

This makes me ashamed of being a human being. This is what we catalans have to deal with every fucking day while we are still a property of Spain.

To tell you the truth, when I heard the first news of a possible terrorist attack in Germany I didn't think of muslims, I actually thought it could have been spaniards.

Jon Neu

Banned
I knew about Catalonia seeking independence, but had no idea about the charges stemming from that. It's kind of bizarre that Germany would do that, considering that Catalonia becoming independent would not have been good for the EU.

But you can't throw people in jail just because you don't like Catalonia to become independent (well, if you are Spain, Venezuela, Turkey or Russia you can).

Rebellion needs violence, and there wasn't any violence coming from the catalan side, all the violence came from the spanish state (something spanish judges are never going to denounce). Puigdemont, the catalan government and the cultural catalan leaders are all pacifists, but the spanish state has become so mad it's scary. They want revenge, they want to humilliate us at all costs.

Yeah some crazy guy ploughed through a crowd killing some people and injuring many fathers, mothers, saints, future cancer curers, has to be someone that believes in some 'peaceful' religion, we can't say it, not in public, but ...

Update: some crazy did it.

Yeah the usual nonsense that shouldn't accompany tragic events, hope the injured recover and the deceased rest in peace.

Stay on topic and on facts, discuss mental health and how it can be manipulated and pushed to drastic and incomprehensible actions.

TrainedRage

Banned
Here is the popular journalist calling for the bombing of bars in Baviera and saying "we have 200.000 potential german hostages in Mallorca".

Here are the political party of Ciudadanos giving support to Federico Jimenez Losantos (the journalist) after he said all that.

Here are spanish nationalist all over internet celebrating this tragedy. You don't want me to translate what they are saying.

And you have a popular Madrid digital paper saying: "Karma exists!".

This makes me ashamed of being a human being. This is what we catalans have to deal with every fucking day while we are still a property of Spain.

To tell you the truth, when I heard the first news of a possible terrorist attack in Germany I didn't think of muslims, I actually thought it could have been spaniards.

Yikes... WTF??? How do people have no empathy?

Durask

Turns out to be German 🙊 guess we can’t turn this into a anti-Muslim circle jerk.

Is Germany as bad as dealing with mental health issues as America? I assume it’s better from having access to mental health resources but is there still a large stigma against seeking help like the US?

First of all, mental illness is not that easy to treat. It's not a broken leg or appendicitis.

Durask

IMHO it is a social contagion, same as mass shootings.

First some ISIS guys did truck attacks.
Now a garden variety nutjob says "hey, those ISIS guys killed a bunch of people with trucks, I bet I can do that too".

womfalcs3

Banned

Sad state of affairs.

Greedings

I’m kind of shocked that this car-as-a-weapon trend has only just started in the 21st century. It seems like such an obvious thing to do.
When I first learned to drive, my initial feeling was “woah I can easily lull myself or someone with this thing” and that was long before this trend.

Hopefully it will force cities to pedestrianise many areas, with blockages to vehicular entry during busy times.

Dunki

I’m kind of shocked that this car-as-a-weapon trend has only just started in the 21st century. It seems like such an obvious thing to do.
When I first learned to drive, my initial feeling was “woah I can easily lull myself or someone with this thing” and that was long before this trend.

Hopefully it will force cities to pedestrianise many areas, with blockages to vehicular entry during busy times.
Here is the thing. Why should the world change and not these assholes doing it? Germany for example was such a safe place lets say 5 years ago but it has drastically changed. I do not want that we change I want that the politicians will do something so we can go back to the state before.

Greedings

This is a similar though as “victim blaming.”

One can not control individuals without draconian controls on all. It’s not possible to do rapidly, and I’d argue no possible to do in completion. People should be aware of their weaknesses.
Don’t want to get mugged? Don’t walk alone at night with €1000 Euro in your pockets wearing headphones. Don’t want to get hit by a car? Pedestrianise popular areas.

I’d love a world with no muggers and no mass murderers, but it’s much easier and much more efficient to change things to stop them.

JDB

Banned
Car-free city centers are nothing new. They're pretty nice actually :)
Won't stop this nonsense, though.

Alx

Here is the thing. Why should the world change and not these assholes doing it? Germany for example was such a safe place lets say 5 years ago but it has drastically changed. I do not want that we change I want that the politicians will do something so we can go back to the state before.

Time isn't moving backwards. Also memories of "good old times" can be deceptive (I'm pretty sure crazy people were killing other people in the past already, only it didn't make the headlines).
Of course it doesn't mean nothing should be done, but the goal should be to plan in the future, as in "what could be done to cope with the current context in the best way", not "what could be done to go back to the past ignoring whatever happens worldwide".
Everything changes and adapts to change, like it or not.

Last edited:

Dunki

Time isn't moving backwards. Also memories of "good old times" can be deceptive (I'm pretty sure crazy people were killing other people in the past already, only it didn't make the headlines).
Of course it doesn't mean nothing should be done, but the goal should be to plan in the future, as in "what could be done to cope with the current context in the best way", not "what could be done to go back to the past ignoring whatever happens worldwide".
Everything changes and adapts to change, like it or not.
Instead of prevention we should fight the causes and not only reacting. Maybe that the better word for it. And I am sorry If I do not want to accept my country becoming more dangerous. If you are ok with this good for you.

Alx

Like I said it's not about accepting the increase of danger, but fixing that by looking into the future and not the past. We'll never go back to "the state before" because that's gone. What we have to do is build "the state after", and if we do it right it will be even better than the one before.

Like I said it's not about accepting the increase of danger, but fixing that by looking into the future and not the past. We'll never go back to "the state before" because that's gone. What we have to do is build "the state after", and if we do it right it will be even better than the one before.
I seriously doubt this.
Sacrificing tradition and culture for what? Decreased safety? Seems like a lose lose.

Alx

I seriously doubt this.
Sacrificing tradition and culture for what? Decreased safety? Seems like a lose lose.

Tradition and culture aren't static, they are what they are because people changed and learned over centuries. And it's not about "sacrificing" them, there are values we're supposed to fight for and defend. But saying "I don't want to change" is childish, changing is part of living.

Tradition and culture aren't static, they are what they are because people changed and learned over centuries. And it's not about "sacrificing" them, there are values we're supposed to fight for and defend. But saying "I don't want to change" is childish, changing is part of living.

But this change is not directed by anything real. It's not part of natural progression, but rather some bureaucrats min-maxing society towards what they believe it should be.

Dunki

How do you stop people who are ready to kill THEMSELVES and others for some vague religious reasons?
for this case he was already known by the police so why do these people can run around as nothing did happen before.

As for religious reasons: Abolish EVERY mosque which is financed by non EU countries. Build new Mosques and use Imans specifically trained in the EU with an EU standard. I do not know if you have heard it but the anti antisemitism in elementary schools has drastically risen and a big part of it play the radial mosques here in Germany. If elementary school kids threaten others with cutting off their heads, telling women how they should dress etc than there is something terrible wrong. STomp out radical Islamists. Also abolish EVERY religious symbol from schools. Which means hijabs, crosses etc. A school is no place for religion.

I think right now there are living 10k+ potential dangerous islamists in Germany. Get fucking rid of them and if you can not abort them put them in Jail for life. I think Austria does a much better job here.

As somebody said, this isn't a part of a natural progression. This is a sudden and drastic overthrow.
I can't blame any country that solidifies borders to protect their way of life. Japan is Japan because it's full of Japanese people and all of their traditions and culture.

If the Japanese people want to slowly change over a long period of time then that's great and it will be interesting to see how they self direct their own society.
I don't want Japan to be strong-armed into Cairo 2.0. Again, who does that benefit?

Top Bottom