• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severed (PS Vita/PSN) |OT| Swiping your way to victory limb by limb

Z3M0G

Yeah, I love it, but it needs some fast travel in a bad way. I'm looking to clear out secrets or things I missed in the first two dungeons before getting deep into the third, and the back tracking is such a pain when you have to go through like five staircases and a handful of levels just so you can go down a different path after finding one secret.
The overall game is not large at all, you can get to any location in about a minute or less, id say. I once thought the same but once i actually started returning to older locations it wasnt bad at all.

JonnyKong

Just started playing this today. It's supposed to be my "holiday game" next week, but I'm finding it hard to stay off. Only played about 40 minutes or so (just entered the second crow temple). I like it a lot so far. I was really crap at it at first, but after a bit of practice I was soon taking down enemies with ease. Although saying that, when I go into the focus mode I still struggle to get more than two arms off the four armed dudes.

Two questions,

1) does this game have a post game option for me to go back for all the hidden secrets I missed? And speaking of,
2) what kind of 'secrets' am I looking out for? I haven't come across any yet. I keep on swiping random pieces of scenery to see if the secrets are on the walls, no such luck yet.

thumb

Banned
There really needs to be a Severed/Dead Space crossover. All limb destruction, all the time.

Issac could show up in the Severed world just because he's going nuts.

Just started playing this today. It's supposed to be my "holiday game" next week, but I'm finding it hard to stay off. Only played about 40 minutes or so (just entered the second crow temple). I like it a lot so far. I was really crap at it at first, but after a bit of practice I was soon taking down enemies with ease. Although saying that, when I go into the focus mode I still struggle to get more than two arms off the four armed dudes.

Two questions,

1) does this game have a post game option for me to go back for all the hidden secrets I missed? And speaking of,
2) what kind of 'secrets' am I looking out for? I haven't come across any yet. I keep on swiping random pieces of scenery to see if the secrets are on the walls, no such luck yet.

1) yup, you can go back to get the rest. Best to get everything before you take on the final part of the game since some of the secret upgrades help quite a bit.
2) you're going to be looking for hidden areas that you can't get to with your current skills. Lots of the areas are hidden behind the eye and the mouth icon you see on some walls. There are couple of points where there will be a lever on a wall somewhere that could be hard to find.

Number45

Secret areas are pretty well highlighted on the map anyway - those that you can access once you get the abilities are obvious and those that aren't necessarily connected to an ability... well, The Riddler has kindly marked those for you.

I got it, was a bit meh after the first hour or so, but its started to click and im really enjoying it, the ramp up they have slowly giving you more things to do and slowly adding in more complex enemy combinations is perfect.

going for the platium for sure!

Z3M0G

Credits are rolling. Simply incredible experience. From start to finish.

My GOTY, hands down.
Emotional
ending too.

This game is a masterpiece in my eyes. U4 will be an incredible game as well, no doubt... but this game will likely surpass it in a special way for me. I don't expect any gaming experience the rest of the year to surpass this.

Edit: Time played 6hr 58min. 97%. 5 secrets left to find.

Z3M0G

Great developer interview (and developer gameplay) from Kinda Funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLk4c08Z-Y

Would you believe that they even gave thought to whether or not the game would work in VR? lol Of course not, at least not in any natural way, but they still considered it already and had a technical response. :p

Beartruck

Is this playable on a PS TV if I use the ps4 controller's touchpad? Not sure if that's accurate enough for what this game demands.

JPS Kai

Is this playable on a PS TV if I use the ps4 controller's touchpad? Not sure if that's accurate enough for what this game demands.

Even if you got it whitelisted, the touchpad would be the most annoying way to play. You do need some precision at times and the disconnect between what's happening on screen and the location on the touchpad certainly takes away from the experience.

BTA

Go to that switch by the locked green and red gates. Use the eye to change the color of the switch until it matches the locked gates.

Thanks for this- there not being a ? there totally made me miss that, oops.

Now all I have left for secrets are essentially
the father and mother mementos. As expected, I'm stuck on that fight for the father one, but for the mother one I just have no idea how to make the room start turning red like the brother's one did. I'm assuming it matches an earlier puzzle solution and it just hasn't clicked yet, though. I'm going to go actually fight the citadel boss before continuing with that anyway, since I haven't done that yet, and it actually explaining how the rage ability works should make the father's fight that much more possible.

EDIT:
Even if you got it whitelisted, the touchpad would be the most annoying way to play. You do need some precision at times and the disconnect between what's happening on screen and the location on the touchpad certainly takes away from the experience.

Yeah, I already still have trouble severing enemy parts sometimes. Some of this stuff would be impossible on the touchpad.

BTA

I have everything and I'm prepared for the end. (The final area's music is amazing?)

But I need to take a break because that fight hurt my finger by the time I was done, wow.

elguero

Do any enemies respawn post game? I'm a little nervous about missing the trophy for finishing a four enemy encounter without taking damage.

Z3M0G

Do any enemies respawn post game? I'm a little nervous about missing the trophy for finishing a four enemy encounter without taking damage.
Im fairly sure no trophies are missible, and im also fairly sure there is something that has you covered if you dont pull it off before the end.

Z3M0G

Tonight i also finished the last 8 or so levels of Mutant Blob. Then re-download Guacamelee and imported my old save for tomorrow. These are way overdue!!

JonnyKong

What on earth, I just beat the first boss in the crow area and I could have sworn I severed his two wings in the correct place. I'm sure I saw them fall to the ground, but when I went to pick them up I couldn't see em. Hmph!

Anyway, looks like I now have a second set of abilities to upgrade, sheesh.

Number45

Wait, does the game have multiple endings by chance? (Spoiler tag your response)
I beat it initially without grabbing everything and again after getting 100% and I don't recall a difference so it's either VERY subtle or you need to do something else.

BTA

I beat it initially without grabbing everything and again after getting 100% and I don't recall a difference so it's either VERY subtle or you need to do something else.

I think it's only the mementos that affect anything, given how they're shown in the ending, though I had 100% when I beat the game so I'm not sure what it's like without them.

I finished it after almost exactly 8 hours (my save says 8:01, so that and the final boss). I really enjoyed it, and I'm definitely happy I picked it up sooner rather than later. I'm only disappointed with
the last part. The house really could have been a longer dungeon with new enemies, especially as by that point you're probably maxed out or approaching it. Similarly, some of the ways the final boss attacked (the fists especially) just made me annoyed that no normal enemy in the game had more unique attacks like that, because they were more creative than just swiping at you.

The ending itself was a bit of a letdown. It wasn't bad, but I was really hoping for something much less short and vague. It's not like I necessarily need answers but it felt like vagueness for the sake of having a traditionally vague ending rather than it actually being meaningful, you know? "Will she stay or not" would be an interesting option for multiple endings, but when it just ends at the choice I'm left annoyed rather than actually wondering what she would have done, particularly as the game positions it as a choice immediately before the fight.

And do they even get buried without the mementoes (or is it just that you don't get the message from them)? Is it really that much shorter if you don't do the optional stuff? I feel like it would have made more sense for the mementos to do something more significant- an extra part to the final boss that's actually challenging would have been great, since after the fight for the father's memento, the boss is kinda a joke.

...finally, the credits song also didn't sound great, particularly in the sense that it sounded vaguely garbled, like it was through a phone or something? I guess that was intentional, but it was weird.

Z3M0G

I think it's only the mementos that affect anything, given how they're shown in the ending, though I had 100% when I beat the game so I'm not sure what it's like without them.

I finished it after almost exactly 8 hours (my save says 8:01, so that and the final boss). I really enjoyed it, and I'm definitely happy I picked it up sooner rather than later. I'm only disappointed with
the last part. The house really could have been a longer dungeon with new enemies, especially as by that point you're probably maxed out or approaching it. Similarly, some of the ways the final boss attacked (the fists especially) just made me annoyed that no normal enemy in the game had more unique attacks like that, because they were more creative than just swiping at you.

The ending itself was a bit of a letdown. It wasn't bad, but I was really hoping for something much less short and vague. It's not like I necessarily need answers but it felt like vagueness for the sake of having a traditionally vague ending rather than it actually being meaningful, you know? "Will she stay or not" would be an interesting option for multiple endings, but when it just ends at the choice I'm left annoyed rather than actually wondering what she would have done, particularly as the game positions it as a choice immediately before the fight.

And do they even get buried without the mementoes (or is it just that you don't get the message from them)? Is it really that much shorter if you don't do the optional stuff? I feel like it would have made more sense for the mementos to do something more significant- an extra part to the final boss that's actually challenging would have been great, since after the fight for the father's memento, the boss is kinda a joke.

...finally, the credits song also didn't sound great, particularly in the sense that it sounded vaguely garbled, like it was through a phone or something? I guess that was intentional, but it was weird.

I only had the mother memento I believe (the one you get through that hallways puzzle), and I don't recall it being shown in the ending. Yes they do get buried, and the "choice" plays out the same way. I also expected myself to make the choice, but I actually found that they made it obvious she choose to leave since she started to step in that direction before it cut to black... If I'm not making the choice, I'd prefer to not know what choice she did make and leave it a mystery or for you to interpret as you want. But to me she clearly stepped towards the exit of light.

The only other thing I didn't like about the ending was how it wasn't animated like most other scenes... it was more still frame, or South Park style in a way. They could have put some nicce animation work into it instead to be consistent with the rest of the game, encountering the Wanderer, etc.

BTA

^^ yeah, that's basically how I hold it. Works fine for me, particularly once I realised you could use the icons to switch between enemies.

I'm digging back through the thread, and how did I never realize this? That would have definitely helped when I was getting overwhelmed during a few fights, welp.

JonnyKong

I thought it was an obvious given that to switch between the enemies you just press their icon on the screen?

There are other ways of doing that??

BTA

I thought it was an obvious given that to switch between the enemies you just press their icon on the screen?

There are other ways of doing that??

The d-pad and left analog stick make you turn! I'd honestly rather it have just been the icons, had I known- I definitely hit the stick while swiping more than a few times.

JonnyKong

Jeez, I don't think I'd like to have to switch between the enemies using the d-pad or analogue, that sounds incredibly fiddly.

kng3025

Finally beat the game today. Completely enjoyed every moment of it and cannot wait to see what Drinkbox puts out next for the Vita. Hopefully it sells well enough as this is a must play Vita game for sure.

I just finished the Crow Temple and
beat the Crow Golem
. It took a while for the game to 'click', but I'm really loving it now. Fights against three enemies are fun as I spin around stunning enemies and managing counter attacks, but so far I've done two (I think) battles with four enemies and that's much more tricky to manage.

It's also surprisingly dark. Not sure what I was expecting, but that stuff with
her dead brother impaled by the plants at the end of the Crow Temple
was brutal, man. I'm half expecting the
demon who gave Sasha the sword to turn out to be a villain, and it will fulfil its promise of reuniting her with her family by killing her
(or at least trying to).

Elven_Star

About what specifically? That there's a bad review out there?
Specifically the lack of gameplay depth he mentions. Does it get in the way of my having fun with the game in any way? I know these things are subjective, but some input from those who have played the game wouldn't hurt.

JonnyKong

Can somebody just clear up something for me. What is the purple bar underneath the energy bar? I was assuming that only when I filled that I could use the "stun", but the stun just seems to recharge and activate itself after a random time anyway which doesn't seem to coincide with the purple bar, unless it does?

maouvin

Can somebody just clear up something for me. What is the purple bar underneath the energy bar? I was assuming that only when I filled that I could use the "stun", but the stun just seems to recharge and activate itself after a random time anyway which doesn't seem to coincide with the purple bar, unless it does?

It's your MP, which you use to stun and
steal buffs
. It regenerates. Stun doesn't activate by itself, though - maybe you're using it accidently.

JonnyKong

No sorry what I meant was, the symbol that you press to activate stun seems to light up after a random time. I thought it would only be allowed to use again when the purple bar got full again, but that didn't seem to be the case.

maouvin

No sorry what I meant was, the symbol that you press to activate stun seems to light up after a random time. I thought it would only be allowed to use again when the purple bar got full again, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Ah yes, Stun takes up a set amount of MP. If your total MP is higher than whatever Stun costs, it won't empty the bar/will be available before it's full.

JonnyKong

Playing this game on a plane yesterday with a bit of turbulence wasn't exactly ideal!

Anyway, I've reached boss number two now. I'm struggling with him a fair bit. I'm assuming by this point I'm still yet to learn how to steal buffs? I think I know how to kill this boss, I need to make sure I take out the enemy who has the health regen first before boss can get him. What I'm struggling with is the counterattacking his big arms, seems so inconsistent. Sometimes I knock them away fine perfectly in time, then it keeps saying I miss one after another, quite frustrating. I'll keep trying though!

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmmm, I loved loved loved Guacamelee, it's my favorite Metroidvania since SoTN. I thought the monster blob game was ok, a good first game, but Guacamelee was just amazing. I bought Severed Day 1 on principal because Drinkbox made such a great game with Guacamelee.

When I first started it I was super excited. I'm mostly an rpg gamer and I grew up on PC first person dungeon crawlers and enjoy nostalgia throwbacks. Really liked it for the first 30 mins or so.

But now, after a couple of sessions and a few hours in, it's a good game but honestly I'm pretty bored. Like it just feels too simple (not easy, just not a lot of depth), too repetive, and not that interesting. The art style is great but the dungeons are boring hallways with an occasional puzzle or neat room and the battle system is clever but battles take too long to the point where I get kind of :/ when I see another battle coming up.

It doesn't help that the game is very left-handed unfriendly. I can only touch swipe with my left hand so I have to be switching between swiping and turning in battle. Which makes it more frantic, which is I guess is more exciting but also slightly less fun and annoying. There really should have been an option to change movement controls to the right analog since it's not used and would create a left-hand mode.

Anyhow, hopefully the game gets better, but kind of disappointed tbh. Guacamelee had nice depth with the combo system and combat along with some very quality platforming. I'd like Severed more if the dungeon crawling had more depth, if maybe more lore stuff spread throughout dungeons flavoring them instead of being boring hallways and if the battles were less repetive.

Micerider

Started it today and completed first dungeon and I find it absolutly great and refreshing. A nice send off for my Vita.

I just need to see if it holds up.

Finished it at 7hours and 30 min, more or less. I enjoyed my time with it and was another fun game by Drinkbox.

Loved slashing enemies and gaining body parts. My largest gripes were the jarring hallway transitions and the mini-map. I feel like it took a chunk of my focus when I was trying to enjoy the environment. Also there isnt much to do after fighting the boss, I kinda expected more content like a more harder new plus mode or something.

Overall, I would love a sequel that adds more variety to the enemies and a new solution to hallway transitions. Oh and perhaps a bit more clarification regarding the story, the only thing I understand is that
Sasha and her family were brought here into another demonish universe where their humans were killed off.
What I dont get is regarding Sasha's missing arm and the rainbow arm. Was the
Dragon in charge of everything?
And why
were Saha's family even brought into this world?

Nesther

Finished it at 7hours and 30 min, more or less. I enjoyed my time with it and was another fun game by Drinkbox.

Loved slashing enemies and gaining body parts. My largest gripes were the jarring hallway transitions and the mini-map. I feel like it took a chunk of my focus when I was trying to enjoy the environment. Also there isnt much to do after fighting the boss, I kinda expected more content like a more harder new plus mode or something.

Overall, I would love a sequel that adds more variety to the enemies and a new solution to hallway transitions. Oh and perhaps a bit more clarification regarding the story, the only thing I understand is that
Sasha and her family were brought here into another demonish universe where their humans were killed off.
What I dont get is regarding Sasha's missing arm and the rainbow arm. Was the
Dragon in charge of everything?
And why
were Saha's family even brought into this world?

Yeah I just finished it too and I was left with the same questions. It seems overly vague.

Clive

I think it's about
dealing with loss. The world is different stages of grief and it's her story about overcoming the depression after something terrible has happened, burying her sadness (literally in the ending) and moving on to become whole again in the real world. The world in the game doesn't actually exist, it's symbolic and in her mind.

Top Bottom