• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

If anyone in BayGAF plays keyboards or know of someone who does, my band is looking:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/muc/5520847091.html
We're looking for someone who can play keyboards and sing in our band. There's already four of us and we sound huge, but we got three part harmonies in mind.

We're called The Sungods. We practice near Wawona and 23rd.

All races, genders, sexualities, and ages welcome.

We'd love to have you doing cool synth + mellotron stuff as well as vocoder and straight backup singing.

Reference bands: Tame Impala, My Bloody Valentine, Diiv, Real Estate, Deerhunter/hoof, chillwave stuff, postrock stuff

Recordings of us:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5csH_vDH34LYWYwdElnVEVKaUE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5csH_vDH34LRHp1aGdJRzljbHM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5csH_vDH34LRHp1aGdJRzljbHM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5csH_vDH34LMUlBV2MybmZhU3c

MrGerbils

Anyone have a Vive or Oculus that they wanna show off to a random Gaffer showing up in your home and getting face sweat all over your fancy new gear? ;-P :-****

Edit: I got hit up via PM by a very generous gaffer who let me take a spin in their kit and it's super fucking rad. Now I just need Pascal to drop so I can hurry up and build a new PC to replace my aging 660ti rig.

Already thanked them privately but also just wanna say <3 you GAF. Thanks for being a great community.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone else get hit with the flu virus that's been goin around? 101 degree fever, sick for the last 3 days. Not been great.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nooo stay in bed!!

If anything, allergieshit hard this spring due to all the rain we had, methinks. I always have to tell people I'm not sick.

Toki767

I do currently have a sore throat, but I don't think I have the flu or anything, at least not yet.

I'm sure I'm bound to catch something on my daily commute on BART or just walking around the financial district though.

clav

Saw an apartment with 1 BR 1 Toilet sold for $700K.

Ridiculous.

How is anyone in the newer age bracket going to afford housing?

finalflame

Saw an apartment with 1 BR 1 Toilet sold for $700K.

Ridiculous.

Cheap. Can't find a 1 bedroom condo for less than $900k in Mountain View.

Unless you win the startup lottery it's basically impossible to buy a family home here.

Also, Parov Stelar last night was so dope. Did anyone else go?

Perfect thread for some answers I need.

My fiancee surprised me the other day and told me that we are in fact going on a honeymoon (I thought we were skipping one, she went ahead and paid for everything herself) and we are going to San Francisco. Going to be getting there Tuesday, August 16th evening, and am leaving early Sunday morning on the 21st.

Anybody got recommendations on things we have to do? Places we have to go? Things we gotta eat?

Staying at The Marker Hotel and things I know we are definitely going to want to do:
  • San Francisco Giants game
  • Tour Alcatraz (we're thinking the night tour, not sure)
  • Check out the Zoo
  • Walk the Golden Gate Bridge

I would also love to check out the trees/forest/area where so much of the new Planet of the Apes films are set. But we don't really want to rent a car, and while we can probably walk to most places how would you guys recommend getting around?

Going to be an expensive trip I'm sure, but it should be fun.

My fiancee surprised me the other day and told me that we are in fact going on a honeymoon (I thought we were skipping one, she went ahead and paid for everything herself) and we are going to San Francisco. Going to be getting there Tuesday, August 16th evening, and am leaving early Sunday morning on the 21st.

Anybody got recommendations on things we have to do? Places we have to go? Things we gotta eat?

Staying at The Marker Hotel and things I know we are definitely going to want to do:
  • Check out the Zoo

I would also love to check out the trees/forest/area where so much of the new Planet of the Apes films are set. But we don't really want to rent a car, and while we can probably walk to most places how would you guys recommend getting around?

uber or lyfe ....but i do recommend renting a car for a day and driving up to napa, it can be very pretty

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

• Check out the Zoo

Redwoods are quite a drive to get to the good ones, multiple hours. There are some in Muir woods in Marin, but not the really big ones.

Bart and Muni are decent for getting around, but on vacation I would stick to Uber.

Get Dim Sum at some point.

broz0rs

if you want to check out a really cool place of nature near SF, research Point Reyes to see if that is something that might interest you. It's about 30 miles from SF, which is much more near than Napa Valley.

• Check out the Zoo

Also, wear layers! its going to be cold there.

Uber is pretty good choice. You still might want to rent a car if you plan on going outside to wine country or drive on the pacific highway.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Redwoods are quite a drive to get to the good ones, multiple hours. There are some in Muir woods in Marin, but not the really big ones.

When I saw Planet of the Apes, I thought it was funny that they portrayed the redwoods as being "just over the Golden Gate". Echoing what was said above and yeah it's not as close as the movie makes it out to be. When you actually know the location where a movie is filmed in, you can see just how convenient and close places become :p

moving to detroit

Foodwise? Best place I can think of you absolutely can get into without a reservation is Burma Superstar which is mind-blowing and delicious. If you're into beer, I would recommend Mikkeller Bar, although be forewarned it's in the Tenderloin which means you probably want to hold your nose until you're inside.

Got some money from some business deals I finished up.

So, I'm packing my bags from red state country & moving to SF for a bit.

Any good recommendations for a yoga studio?

Also: How often does GAF SF meet up?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Lmao oh shit, yeah I was. I left around 10.

Damn missed. We stayed until close. Ended the night as the loud group at Cards Against Jenga and move to union square for Foley's nightcap and Pinecrest beef-Mac.

Gonna do it again next week. Maybe not close but will be there none the less. Never thought a video game bar would made decent old fashioneds.

rokkerkory

• Check out the Zoo

Dood there's literally too much to do in SF in 4-5 days.

Walk fisherman's wharf during the day and eat fresh seafood.

Go shopping in market district.

Visit Japan town or China town if you are adventurous (China town smells though lol).

Quick bite at HRD Cafe.

Fancy dinners abound too, just so many places.

Bars and clubs as well.

iavi

• Check out the Zoo

SF's awesome. You'll love it.

Few things of note:

If you're planning to do the Alcatraz tour, get your tickets now. Especially if you're going for the night tour. I live across the GG bridge and work in the city erry damn day, and can't get a ticket but a month or two out at times. It's gotta be one of, if not SF's biggest tourist destination.

As for the getting around--Uber/lyft. Forget renting a car. Not only will be frustrated as all hell trying to find parking anywhere a majority of the time, you'll usually be paying out the ass for it. Walk/ muni everywhere you can while just exploring the city, and uber/lyft to specific destinations across the city etc. You'll thank me later.

Food: You've got every option you can think of. Stick to specific districts for specific foods and usually most places you stop into will be damn good.

The mission for Mexican--My particular favorite spot is el farolito, know that if you go it's a hole in the wall that's dirty as hell, but suspend disbelief and eat. You'll thank me later.
North beach for Italian -- Definitely go to Soto Mare if you like seafood. It's a no frills spot and their might be wait, but you'll have some of the best damn cioppino on this planet. Tony's pizza is also a must.

Sunset for Asian food (and subs actually) -- Sawaii if you want some of the best tasting ramen. and San tung for their famous dried fried wings. Stop by Irving subs across the street from san tung for the cities best tasting sandwiches. (yes, even over Ike's. And Ike's is incredible don't get me wrong.)

edit; echoing rokkerkory about HRD café too. Essential stop, especially if you want a breakfast burrito.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
....this is some of the most inconsistent whether that I have ever seen! Rain, sun, wind, wind, wind, sun, sun, rain... feels like I'm back in the northwest again! And so much chilly wind... I never end up wearing the right thing either. Sudden heat, but I wear too much, or it cools down with cold wind, and wearing thin clothes. Can't win!

AcridMeat

Banned
....this is some of the most inconsistent whether that I have ever seen! Rain, sun, wind, wind, wind, sun, sun, rain... feels like I'm back in the northwest again! And so much chilly wind... I never end up wearing the right thing either. Sudden heat, but I wear too much, or it cools down with cold wind, and wearing thin clothes. Can't win!
Yep, quite peculiar. It was pouring rain on my way to work and then the day ended with completely blue skies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
We had hail today.

I heard that Santa Cruz and Monterey area was supposed to get chunks of hail "the size of canned hams" (which is such an odd comparison), but it never happened. I guess some places did get a bit. Still weird...

What month is it again??

M52B28

Banned
Canned.. hams..? There's a new one.

I quite like this weather. It's always fresh. I'm used to this unpredictable weather because of my living in the Midwest for the majority of my life.

You have to wear the proper n layers so you can peel during the day.

I wore a t shirt, fleece and a wind coat and u stayed warm. I peeled it off when inside.

Edzi

Are any of you guys familiar with any SFV/FGCs around the Bay aside from Showdown? Preferably something around the East Bay.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Are any of you guys familiar with any SFV/FGCs around the Bay aside from Showdown? Preferably something around the East Bay.

Golfland Fremont used to do stuff, but the guy that did it managers Round 1 in San Jose now. I think AFK Lounge in SJ only does stuff like Smash/mobas.

Edzi

There is the Foundry in SF that have SF5 nights called churning the butter.

That's what I was referring to when I said Showdown. I've been there a couple times in the past, but can no longer make it out Tues/Thurs nights, so I was hoping to find another community.

Tornix

There's a weekly Tuesdays at Phoenix Games in Concord and it might be out of the way, but there's also Den Dojo in Suisun meeting every Friday night.

XAL

Anyone need Civil War tickets for tonight?

Got a couple extra.

Alamo Drafthouse, mission st, 7pm, 3D, screen 1 row 6, center seats

Top Bottom