• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

finalflame

Ho1l8ru.png

See y'all at GDC :)

olympia

Oakland rules but commuting on 880 and the lack of decent public transport to the South Bay will make you wanna jump off a bridge.

There's nothing right now in SF that makes it worth the extra cost of you already live elsewhere in the Bay Area. Shitty landlords, SFMTA and a long ass commute do not seem worth it to me when you can just go there on a whim. If you really desire some sort of urbanized experience try DT San Jose.

I might be down. Also looking to meet up with GAF from or near San Jose area. I somehow have a deficit of friends that are into gaming anywhere near my own capacity. Would love to meet up with GAF members again!

finalflame

I might be down. Also looking to meet up with GAF from or near San Jose area. I somehow have a deficit of friends that are into gaming anywhere near my own capacity. Would love to meet up with GAF members again!

I'm in the South Bay and always down for gaming-related shenanigans.

finalflame

I would like to show up to one of these events one of these days. I'm tired of staying in my little hiddie hole in Belmont.

Belmont ain't so bad, I was just at the farmer's market there a couple of weeks ago.

With that said, the GAF group that came out to PSX was a ton of fun. I definitely think we should do some more, smaller-scale meet-ups somewhere like Brewcade or AFK. At least 3 of us seem to be open to the idea; that's already a decent group!

I can get a sign-up sheet or something going, or we should start a <insert favorite messenger here> (I like WhatsApp) group going to communicate for everyone interested. We could all use a bit more getting out of our caves and hanging out with other like-minded SFBay GAFfers. To be honest, I'm surprised the thread gets so little movement, considering the general composition of the Bay Area (tech-heavy, therefore, probably lots of people into gaming).

GamerJM

Banned
I'm in the South Bay/San Jose area and could come to any events in the area.

PSX was finals week the last two years for me >_>.

o be honest, I'm surprised the thread gets so little movement, considering the general composition of the Bay Area (tech-heavy, therefore, probably lots of people into gaming).

The fact that the Bay Area is so tech-focused is probably the only reason we have this thread. I haven't seen any GAF community topics for areas around the size of the bay area.

Belmont ain't so bad, I was just at the farmer's market there a couple of weeks ago.

No, I'm referring to the fact that I don't get out much. I moved here 4-5 years ago and hardly ever go into the city or ever leave our apartment. Now that I have a job, I find I have no idea what customers are talking about when they mention things about it.

finalflame

I'm in the South Bay/San Jose area and could come to any events in the area.

PSX was finals week the last two years for me >_>.

The fact that the Bay Area is so tech-focused is probably the only reason we have this thread. I haven't seen any GAF community topics for areas around the size of the bay area.

No, I'm referring to the fact that I don't get out much. I moved here 4-5 years ago and hardly ever go into the city or ever leave our apartment. Now that I have a job, I find I have no idea what customers are talking about when they mention things about it.

Well, to everyone above and anyone else interested, I propose we get SFBayGAF together one of these weekends and either head up to Brewcade in SF, or check out a local bar in the South Bay, like AFK or anything in downtown SJ/MV/PA/SV/SM.

Here's a LINE link to the SFBay GAF group I just created, just get the LINE app from the App/Play/Windows Store on your phones (I know at least Xenor already has it :)) and click it to join the group:

http://line.me/ti/g/TkAC4Oe7IG

Let's make it happen guys!

finalflame

I don't drink lol

I mean I guess I could still go but eh that would be boring for me

Both locations I mentioned have ample stuff to do apart from drinking! Notably Brewcade has arcade cabinets and board games, and AFK has N64s and other games. We could also always plan something different, open to suggestions.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just want to mention again, though it is tougher for folks who are far outside the city, Folsom St. Foundry on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You don't have to be into drinking, they host smash and street fighter tournaments (see pro players semi frequently as well as Mike Ross) that are streamed, tons of projectors and TVs with different game set ups. Some board games, rock band, etc. It's a blast ($5 cover though).

Brewcade is really awesome too, just smaller.

finalflame

Just want to mention again, though it is tougher for folks who are far outside the city, Folsom St. Foundry on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You don't have to be into drinking, they host smash and street fighter tournaments (see pro players semi frequently as well as Mike Ross) that are streamed, tons of projectors and TVs with different game set ups. Some board games, rock band, etc. It's a blast ($5 cover though).

Definitely totally down for this.

Edzi

I've been meaning to go to the Foundry's game night again, but since January, my schedule has been busy Tuesday and Thursday. I heard they started a Wednesday game night too, but I don't really know anything about how that might be different than Tuesday and Thursday, so has anyone ever been to the Wed game night? Same setups/amount of people, or is it kind of a light version of the main nights?

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh is there a Wednesday one now? I thought they just hosted certain RSVP/private events then. No clue about those, would be interested in hearing about it too.
Sounds fun I'd love to join.
Right on! Think of places you guys feel like going to for food/drink, I'm pretty open. If it ends up just being a few of us we have a lot of options.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well I don't think the wind has stopped all day! Sucks because even though the weather has gotten warmer, but sometimes drop with the stormy weather, I find that nights are almost humid.

v1lla21

I wouldn't be able to make the trip up :(
If it's on the 18th I could go but I'll probably will be drinking and won't be able to drive back to sj. I'm going to svcc the day after so if it were to be on the 19th I wouldn't be able to join yall.

M52B28

Banned
Everything I have is fucking soaked down. My journal is basically ruined, paperwork is wet, laptop soaked.

I had to walk just a few minutes.

beat

It was dry as I got out off the bus for my 10 minute walk to work. Started raining about three minutes in. I was soaked by the time I got in, but at least I brought a jacket.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo it's been raining for the past 2 weeks... didn't know I was living in the Pacific Northwest... Drought over???

v1lla21

Anyone going to silicon Valley comic con? I'm volunteering tomorrow but I'm gonna stick around all day and attend early on Sunday

How reliable is BART? I've got 4.5 hours between when my international flight lands and my check in time for my connecting domestic flight.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How reliable is BART? I've got 4.5 hours between when my international flight lands and my check in time for my connecting domestic flight.
Generally pretty reliable. But you are talking about 30 minutes to go from SFO into the city with trains leaving every 15-20 minutes. So give yourself 1hr 40mins for transit time to and from Civic Center. 40 minutes to get off your plane and to the BART station (it takes some time, though you can walk from the International Terminal) plus whatever time customs takes you. Then security coming back which is heavily dependent on time but I have never spent all that long in security at SFO.

You are talking a likely 3-3.5 hour experience to get into the city and back. With 4.5 hours in between flights, I am not sure it is worth it.

Enough time to grab some rocking DimSum though.

Top Bottom