• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Ninja - Reborn coming August 29th, 2024

I tried the Asian region demo that released during Steam Next Fest and the game is good fun, definitely getting it. On that note, it sucks that it seems like we're getting a demo for every platform the game releases on in the West except for Steam.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’ve been playing the NES original on NSO and it’s ridiculously Nintendo Hard for all the usual wrong reasons (mostly collisions and enemy patterns vs a pretty stiff MC, also it seems you can’t select weapons so if you get a secondary weapon you must run through all of its ammo before you can return to your base weapon).

The remake’s demo is… really not enticing, though. If possible, the controls are even worse, and the level design is not improved.

Rran

The demo has gotten somewhat mixed reviews but I was impressed. The controls aren't quite as tight as I initially expected so the gameplay flow is a little more deliberate than in something like the NES Ninja Gaidens. But I think it still works well for the kind of game it is. It's pretty challenging but feels intuitive and it's such a bump up from the original that it feels like a full on Metroid Zero Mission-level remake rather than something more conservative like Wild Guns Reloaded.

manzo

Have the original Kage on a cartridge for my Twin Famicom. Tried the demo, but something was off, I can't put my word around it. The original was... just more tight in the gameplay.. no complaints on the visual side. The Pocky&Rocky remake was better than this somewhat. As this was done by the original devs, I don't know what happened.

manzo

The demo has gotten somewhat mixed reviews but I was impressed. The controls aren't quite as tight as I initially expected so the gameplay flow is a little more deliberate than in something like the NES Ninja Gaidens. But I think it still works well for the kind of game it is. It's pretty challenging but feels intuitive and it's such a bump up from the original that it feels like a full on Metroid Zero Mission-level remake rather than something more conservative like Wild Guns Reloaded.

Holy shit, should've read all the comments before. Absolutely agree on the gameplay - there it is, someone said it better.

Power Pro

I was looking forward to playing this after trying the demo. I wanted the physical version though, so I preordered it months ago...release date came and they didn't get it in. -_- what's the point of preordering if you can't even get things on the day they come out?

SkylineRKR

Controls make this game harder than it should be. Its not really snappy like, say, Dead Cells. To use platforms you need to press up, i tend to press jump again which makes you fall down.

Once you get used to it there might be a good flow to it but for now I struggle with the timing on pretty much everything. It looks good though, there is a fun game here. So far I am content with it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Controls make this game harder than it should be. Its not really snappy like, say, Dead Cells. To use platforms you need to press up, i tend to press jump again which makes you fall down.

Once you get used to it there might be a good flow to it but for now I struggle with the timing on pretty much everything. It looks good though, there is a fun game here. So far I am content with it.
Same impressions I got from the demo. Having played the original on NSO just a few days earlier, it’s immediately evident.

SkylineRKR

There is clearly a delay on jumps, which means fast moving enemies are pain.

The game is def. more methodical. Like taking enemies out from certain angles with the hookshot. And I need to remember projectiles can simply be nullified by your attack. And the dash is on L1 by default, you can enable double tap too but not sure whats better.

The subweapon system is another thing that takes getting used to, you can select 1 next to your default weapon which is good because you can instantly swap back to default. But its slow to navigate to something like health. But sub weapons can absolutely melt bosses. With the minigun or fans you can make short work of boss 1. For stationary Boss 2 you can just throw a few spikes on them and it destroys their health bar while you can just peace out.

Last edited:

Holammer

Played it for a bit and this game is hard, old skool hard. That's not necessarily a point in its favour, but *I* enjoy smacking my head against the brick wall.
Very sticky and strange controls which take a moment getting used to, when hanging I should be able to pull myself up with the jump button and not only by pushing up, pressing jump feels like the natural thing to do. Stuff they should have caught in testing IMO.
The game does not communicate how to do anything, on the second stage there long gap that's impossible to jump over. I enjoyed figuring it out, others might get frustrated and tap out.
I think the chara designs veer a bit too far away from the original NES, but it looks good.

Best pixel art graphics in the business and I'm looking forward to their next project. Shatter Hand? Or a new game.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yes this game is absolutely good though I hope they do fix the kind of delay on jumps, and the climbing is kind of awkard. But once you get used to it all, know the enemies, what they do and how to tackle them fastest the game is quite rewarding. I beat Stage 3 just now, the 4th seems to be tough but its all about your placement. This game has a nice but fair challenge.

Top Bottom