• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on AI: ‘Nintendo Would Rather Go in a Different Direction‘

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with The New York Times, Miyamoto brought up AI himself as an example of something where Nintendo would rather do things differently than its peers.

“It might seem like we are just going the opposite direction for the sake of going in the opposite direction, but it really is trying to find what makes Nintendo special, Miyamoto said.

“There is a lot of talk about A.I., for example,” he continued. “When that happens, everyone starts to go in the same direction, but that is where Nintendo would rather go in a different direction."

Miyamoto’s comments follow those made by Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa in July, when he said generative AI can be used “in creative ways,” but its use “also raise issues with intellectual property rights.”

“We have decades of know-how in creating the best gaming experiences for our players,” Furukawa added. “While we are open to utilizing technological developments, we will work to continue delivering value that is unique to Nintendo and cannot be created by technology alone.”

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Go Ahead Yes GIF

tusharngf

Is there a source for nintendo games budget? How much their games cost if they are not going into AI and automation.

Cyberpunkd

Miyamoto probably saw people making Mario with boobs or something using generative AI and realized he could do nothing about it.
Ummmmmm, he can? You need Nintendo’s permission to use Nintendo IP, there is no way around it and using AI does not make it suddenly ok.

Robb

Gold Member
Ummmmmm, he can? You need Nintendo’s permission to use Nintendo IP, there is no way around it and using AI does not make it suddenly ok.
I can’t tell you how many AI pictures I’ve made of Nintendo IP at this point, and guarantee those wouldn’t be green-lit by Nintendo. They can’t do anything about it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nintendo wants their users to also not use their own AI 😏

they got me on the new zelda game again today 🥲

Top Bottom