• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Wants Nintendo to Be Left Out of the 'Game Wars' Focused on High Specs and Performance

Aion002

Gold Member
Ok but SNES, N64 and even GameCube were powerhouses of their time ..... I miss that.....
They were... Until Sony arrived at the market and they realized after the gamecube that they can't play that game.

However, with the 3ds and Wii they came to the conclusion that as long as they have a new gimmick people will buy whatever they make.

DonF

the only shame about having underpowered hardware is losing on some third party games. First party are great almost all the time, and it doesnt feel like hardware is stopping their vision for most games.

Woopah

This actually makes me happy bc he's letting down the delusional PC/Nintendo fans that are into making up conspiracy theories about Nintendo consoles and their hidden magical theoretical power.
People don't need conspiracy theories. We already have a fairly good idea of how powerful Switch 2 will be (not all the details yet though).

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The GameBoy isn’t powerful enough.

The Gameboy Advance isn’t powerful enough.

The DS isn’t powerful enough.

The Wii isn’t powerful enough.

The 3DS isn’t powerful enough.

The Wii U isn’t powerful enough.

The Switch isn’t powerful enough.

I can’t help but see a pattern here. Meantime, life outside goes on all around you.

Saber

I already have noted that, and they are pretty smart with that aplroach.
They never really captivated fans with modern and silly techs.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean I understand but then there is their best console the SNES that says .. " why not? "

Matsuchezz

This is not new. Nintendo has been crapping out old ass hardware and selling it at a premium for 20 years. Last good piece of tech was GameCube. Miyamoto will go crazy as Yamauchi did before him.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nintendo is making the right move to stay out of the arms race with Sony and Microsoft. They don't feed into the toxic console war conversations, they know it's petty bullshit. Instead they are carving out their own path, and they are being very successful at it while Sony and Microsoft have painted themselves into a corner with high end graphics, ballooning budgets and 7+ year development time. Xbox is pretty much dead and Playstation has turned into a premium brand that takes every chance it can get to fleece the customer base out of every penny to uphold that facade. Nintendo is doing smart business by focusing on things that really matter, which is fun and accessible gameplay, and they are being heavily rewarded for it. Just look at the numbers on their first party IP. Ther are cleaning house with the competition.
Well, Nintendo also fleeces its customers. I'd say, they do it even more than Microsoft and Sony do.

You can get PlayStation and Xbox at subsidized rates, for example. Nintendo sells its two-generation-old underpowered hardware at a premium rate—pretty much on par with PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Nintendo also doesn't put its first-party games on sales. Their 1P games continue selling at full price even after years later. Their online subscription also offers the least amount of value - when compared with PS+ and Game Pass (though, to be fair, it also cost the least amount of money).

Animated GIF
Came to post this.

Well, Nintendo also fleeces its customers. I'd say, they do it even more than Microsoft and Sony do.

You can get PlayStation and Xbox at subsidized rates, for example. Nintendo sells its two-generation-old underpowered hardware at a premium rate—pretty much on par with PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Nintendo also doesn't put its first-party games on sales. Their 1P games continue selling at full price even after years later. Their online subscription also offers the least amount of value - when compared with PS+ and Game Pass (though, to be fair, it also cost the least amount of money).
Not to mention the rehashes like Super Mario RPG, Skyward Sword, Mario 3D All-Stars being sold at a premium when they should be like $20.

And then there's 3 versions of the Switch which shouldn't have been necessary. OLED should've been tech that's implemented on day 1 when the OG Switch was first released, and Switch Lite is pretty useless when some games can't work without the joycons. Of course some diehard fans will rebuy all the versions just bc they're diehards....makes me wonder how big the Switch userbase really is.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
There’s three consoles, what’s wrong with competition Nintendo? This is a lie corporations tell people. Someone remind Nintendo they won the Wii generation, the Wii U lowered the bar.

AngelMuffin

Nintendo has always led with innovation over raw power. And every decade we talk about the next Nintendo console that will be equivalent to what's out or coming out.
At least this time Shigeru says don't put them in the category.
Like when the WiiU was introduced with the bird flying in the Japanese garden and all the LoD on the cherry blossoms. That blew those conversations way beyond what it was
I don’t know about “always”. Up until the Wii, they were competitive spec-wise and sometimes the most powerful console.

HogIsland

I can’t help but see a pattern here. Meantime, life outside goes on all around you.
all of these are actually true and gaming would be miserable if those systems were the peak for their time.

Sooner

Nintendo doesn't want to compete with high-end graphics and performance.

Well, Mission Accomplished. Congrats?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Why would they?

One does not stroll through the village and wallow in the mud with the serfs and peasants.

Our lord Nintendo rules with an iron fist and a merciful heart...but you must respect the crown.

Last edited:

xanaum

And that’s why I haven’t prioritized Nintendo consoles for years. My Switch is currently just sitting in my closet, and I prefer playing its games on my PC using emulators, making better use of my TV’s resolution and other features.

I don’t think Nintendo needs to beat PlayStation in hardware, but at least try to keep up so they don’t miss out on multiplatform games and stay in line with the current generation’s development technologies.

HogIsland

And that’s why I haven’t prioritized Nintendo consoles for years. My Switch is currently just sitting in my closet, and I prefer playing its games on my PC using emulators, making better use of my TV’s resolution and other features.

I don’t think Nintendo needs to beat PlayStation in hardware, but at least try to keep up so they don’t miss out on multiplatform games and stay in line with the current generation’s development technologies.
better yet, stop making hardware

Last edited:

Needlecrash

In the CURRENT era, Nintendo will always beat to their own drums. Love em or hate em, they know what they are doing. They focus more on innovation at the sacrifice of graphics, etc.

In the 3-6th console generation, Nintendo was going toe to toe with Sega/Sony/Microsoft at a near-even pace. The Gamecube is actually slightly more powerful than the PS2 (disc size be damned).

I'd probably be more interested in Nintendo games if they looked and performed better on my TV. Oh well
Wouldn't be enough for me honestly. I got the switch because I think the concept is awesome but that's when I learned that Nintendo games are just not for me. Which obviously doesn't matter because their are millions who love it clearly.

Last edited:

Mithos

Gold Member
I'd probably be more interested in Nintendo games if they looked and performed better on my TV. Oh well
Yeah same...

First I'm not talking about the artstyle, Genshin Impact on PS5/PC, if only "Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom" where at that level...

Edit:
Hell I'll double down, even PS4/PS4 Pro looks great for Genshin Impact, and even at that level for "Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom" would be great.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wouldn't be enough for me honestly. I got the switch because I think the concept is awesome but that's when I learned that Nintendo games are just not for me. Which obviously doesn't matter because their are millions who love it clearly.

That's mostly where I am as well, but there were times that I tried playing a Nintendo game on my TV but the hardware just made it a meh experience and I bailed. I've seen footage of BotW on emulators that looked fantastic. That's the game I want to play.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The graphics in Nintendos games are perfectly fine as is. They just need to hit better framerates and be better games. This is smart. Hopefully XBoxand PlayStation follow suit.

And they don't have to. Nintendo could survive with just their first party games. Microsoft and Sony can't so they have to be attractive for 3rd party customers.

Sony has the best first party games when they actually decide to make them give me Astro, God of War and The last of us 2 over just about anything else released in last 5 years and other great games like Spider-Man, Ghosts and Ratchet

Last edited:

BlackTron

They were... Until Sony arrived at the market and they realized after the gamecube that they can't play that game.

However, with the 3ds and Wii they came to the conclusion that as long as they have a new gimmick people will buy whatever they make.
I agree with this, we (and Nintendo) just lucked out that their latest gimmick is a legitimately great utility that people wanted.

The gimmick took the form of changing between a console and a handheld so we didn't have to deal with any crazy gimmicks in actual gameplay and controllers and shit. That's a double whammy for success.

jm89

It really want to see the final specs of the switch 2. I know we had a leak, but I seriously wonder if Nintendo have made cutbacks due to component cost.

Also how much will it cost in Japan? With the yen being really down they might run into a situation where switch 2 is being heavily exported out of japan.

Last edited:

Why did you conveniently skip the SNES, N64, and Gamecube?

Also why in the world would the GB and GBA not be powerful enough? To what competition?
all of these are actually true and gaming would be miserable if those systems were the peak for their time.
It's true with a big asterisk and that's the problem.

Amazing this is news from some people 😂 We know this since the Wii Era, BTW, Switch 2 having PS4~PS4pro power is in line with this 😏 and is perfect.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
More underpowered hardware to limit our creations baby!

Sony has the best first party games when they actually decide to make them give me Astro, God of War and The last of us 2 over just about anything else released in last 5 years and other great games like Spider-Man, Ghosts and Ratchet
Most of them cost way too much and even with strong marketing they don't sell as much as Nintendo. Nintendo games are for 1-99 age, Sony has plenty 16+ games.
Most people buy Nintendo for first party, and Pc, Sony or Microsoft for 3rd party. Sony couldn't survive with just first party, Nintendo could. That's why they can get away with weak hardware.

Woopah

ROFL. This has big "we just found another 5 million PS2 hardware sales" from Sony vibes... Nintendo have bodied both MS and Sony recently in terms of critical acclaim, consoles sold, software sold (at full price not sub $20) and overall revenue.
They won't be ahead of Sony in revenue.
Prepare to be disappointed. $499. 1 tflops handheld. 2 docked. No DLSS or RT.

Games will still look like souped up PS3 games.
We know it has DLSS

Surely its only fleecing if customers don't know what they are buying.
There’s three consoles, what’s wrong with competition Nintendo? This is a lie corporations tell people. Someone remind Nintendo they won the Wii generation, the Wii U lowered the bar.
The remember that. He is saying they don't want to be in the tech war, not that they won't compete overall.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Mild shock, they still wanna keep the budget of their games low so they can earn more money, smart move but i hope nobody follow their example.
Actually, everyone el should follow them and will, actually, the industry is unsustainable the way it's been for AAA devs

REDRZA MWS

No shit, they gave up on hardware a long time ago. Yet we live in an age of OLED screens with HDMI 2.1, 4k, up to 120 fos.

I last time Nintendo got me was the Wii, the absolute worst piece of shit I’ve ever wasted money on. If Nintendo wants to make cheap, outdated, gimmick filled hardware to firewall their excellent games, I’ll gladly skip them. Sony, MS, and PC fill more than enough of my gaming needs.

Top Bottom