• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Wants Nintendo to Be Left Out of the 'Game Wars' Focused on High Specs and Performance

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Ok but SNES, N64 and even GameCube were powerhouses of their time ..... I miss that.....

They were always late to the party, when back in the 80s and 90s on the arcades we had literally alien technology like 5 to 7 years ahead of everything. And hardware was evolving at an incredibly fast pace, still, they were late with just "acceptable" hardware to be honest

Nec Pc Engine: 1987
Sega Megadrive: 1988
Super Famicom: 1990, featuring the slowest CPU and the same resolution as Nes-Famicom (1983).

Saturn and Ps1 (1994) Cd-rom multimedia revolution.
N64: (1996) weird hardware with cartridges and blurry graphic filters. Though powerful, it was almost 2 years late. Let's say it was an appropriate hardware for 1996.

The same with the Gamecube (Late 2001) yeah... Powerful and many say it was on par or even surpassing some of of Xbox features, but... Ps2 released like a year and a half before (March 2000) was pulling out stunners like GT 3, Mgs2 or Silent Hill 2.

They always waited, and released their consoles late, knowing that their software was what mattered.

Though, after the Gamecube I think they kept going with the same philosophy, but knowing in advance that hardware wouldn't really matter that much, so they just do what they do.

No reason they should. Nintendo's market is fine buying anything with their name on it. May as well grab that new game day 1, too, because it's never coming down in price.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
To be honest, as we've discussed on some other threads, it's probable that Nintendo fucking knew something of what was going to happen on the hardware race. Though I don't really believe that we've reached some sort of wall regarding the feared "diminishing returns" (because there's always something to improve if we wanna see 4k 60-120fps Unreal Engine 6 demos playable...) it could evidently be a handicap both in hardware and software output, because... Is it really necessary a 800usd drive less console for just a res upgrade and 60fps performance?

People can say what they want, even I want them to have more powerful hardware but whatever they are doing works. Miyamoto effectively just saying to carry on doing what has made Nintendo one of the most cash rich companies in the world is hardly illogical. Now Sony pursuing GAAS is not.

Tg89

Smart.

Focus on the games like they've been doing.

Hardware has reached a point where it's good enough that it can never be an excuse for a bad game, just gotta design around the parameters you have.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo doesn't understand technology and doesnt invest in RnD. So they save money on everything. Switch may cost them 100 bucks to make and they sell it for extra 200. The decade old SOC could be around 10 bucks only.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Based miyamoto

Smart.

Focus on the games like they've been doing.

Hardware has reached a point where it's good enough that it can never be an excuse for a bad game, just gotta design around the parameters you have.
Agree, can’t wait to see what Nintendo can do with 1TB+ Console… It’s going to be glorious.

Why did you conveniently skip the SNES, N64, and Gamecube?

Becuase nobody said it about the SNES, N64 and Gamecube but the majority of Nintendo's hardware (the ones he mentioned) are underpowered and yet the games and the hardware still sell by the boat load.

The Switch has sold more than the SNES, N64 and Gamecube combined.

On another note. I often feel like what if technology didn't move so fast and moved at 1/3rd of the pace. I personally would enjoy this and we would see developers make the most of the hardware and we wouldn't be so obsessed with the latest and greatest. For me it's in the game, the the bells and whistles although I do like 60fps.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

🤷‍♂️Its the same statement they been saying since the DS/Wii days.

nobody should expect a powerhouse from Nintendo, i just want a nice balance , the original Switch worked well for what it was in 2017,for a budget price tablet. Im not too worried about Switch 2 with Nvidia handling the components

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Nintendo are the most consistent and have been the best for so many years. Yesterday I've gotten a nice DSi XL and it's just as fun as it was back then. They are timeless!

Do you remember the 7th gen vaseline and piss filter on PS3 and 360? Well that's one of the many things Nintendo escape, generation after generation for not focusing on high specs and performance.

I hope they never change and continue making the best games and to be inspirational.

Pedro Pascal Mario GIF

Zacfoldor

Nintendo doesn't understand technology and doesnt invest in RnD. So they save money on everything. Switch may cost them 100 bucks to make and they sell it for extra 200. The decade old SOC could be around 10 bucks only.
Don't invest in R&D? I'm sorry, I thought they invented the Steam Deck(they did).

Only a few more years until people who don't want that to be true start pretending like the world woulda eventually came up with that on their own.

By then Nintendo will have invented the next way you will be playing games again though, so the goal posts are constantly moving. I'm sure the innovation of PSSR though, that's the real R&D....a copy of something others invented.

I'm sure Sony's next big R&D innovation will be a slightly more powerful video game console. The world isn't ready.

Last edited:
"graphics vs development time" peaked last gen, so the cheap mobile PS4-tier chips naturally aligning with the Switch 2 launch is perfect

people love to shit on Nintendo but they are still arguably the best collection of developers in the world. some of the software they were able to get running on the Switch is straight magic

SirTerry-T

Good, Nintendo can carry on creating the best videogames on the planet while the unwashed heathens worry about puddle reflections.

Davevil

water is wet
It's been ages since Nintendo pulled out of the race for the computational power of its consoles (if it ever participated...)

bundylove

Prepare to be shocked for the most expensive nintendo consol in the last 20 years.

My bet is the switch 2 will start at 450-500.

Sojiro

With the exception of the Wii U, Nintendo avoiding the tech arms race that Sony and Microsoft have embraced has worked out for them, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised that Nintendo still isn't jumping on that high tech ship. We have our first $700 console on the horizon, and I don't doubt that that price tag will be too far off from the next generation's base consoles for those systems given the current economic climate. Nintendo knows there is no fucking way they can push a system at that price tag and likely keep the same hybrid model the switch uses, so Miyamoto's quote is a "no shit Sherlock" statement.

All I have wanted out of the Switch 2 is around PS4 to PS4 pro (admittedly closer to pro) level of performance with DLSS to help on larger displays. I really don't think Miyamoto's statement is to temper expectations over random hardware rumors that the Switch 2 maybe might be using, but is in comparison to the current Sony and Microsoft console offerings.

Last edited:

Astray

Prepare to be shocked for the most expensive nintendo consol in the last 20 years.

Jensen will extract maximum profits out of Miyamoto just like he does with everyone else. Anyone who thinks Nintendo won't pass along the costs to them is a rube. The Switch 1 will likely continue being supported just like the Xbox One and PS4 are.

Nintendo literally invented the idea of going low-tech and creating profit margins on consoles instead of loss-leading.

BlackTron

I'm pretty sure the entry model won't be over 400, even if it's the obviously unwanted version.

If it does go higher than that, they probably expect to keep making Switch 1 for a good while...but I somewhat expect them to "replace" 1 with 2 sooner than later at a samey price point to encourage the install base for next gen only games.

Mr Hyde

Well, Nintendo also fleeces its customers. I'd say, they do it even more than Microsoft and Sony do.

You can get PlayStation and Xbox at subsidized rates, for example. Nintendo sells its two-generation-old underpowered hardware at a premium rate—pretty much on par with PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Nintendo also doesn't put its first-party games on sales. Their 1P games continue selling at full price even after years later. Their online subscription also offers the least amount of value - when compared with PS+ and Game Pass (though, to be fair, it also cost the least amount of money).

There is definitely an argument to be had about Nintendo fucking over their customers but it pales in comparison to the greed that Sony has shown over the last couple of years. It's just ridiculous how much they have raised prices on their digital storefront, on PS Plus, controllers and hardware while at the same time shifting focus to GaaS instead of creating the games their fanbase wants. PS has gone overboard with their shift to a premium brand and for me, the value is simply not there anymore to what they offer.

Last edited:

bundylove

Jensen will extract maximum profits out of Miyamoto just like he does with everyone else. Anyone who thinks Nintendo won't pass along the costs to them is a rube. The Switch 1 will likely continue being supported just like the Xbox One and PS4 are.

Nintendo literally invented the idea of going low-tech and creating profit margins on consoles instead of loss-leading.
Yeah i think so too. Nvidia will make as much as they can on this. That alone will porbably add another 50 on top.

Realisitcly the price should be 500. Which again is fair but not sure if the upgrade will be enough to have people buy it right away.

Ridicululzz

I'm fine if they're behind in terms of power compared to Sony and Microsoft. I'd be happy if the Switch 2 is PS4 (Maybe PS4 Pro?) levels of power as long as they make great games. Very excited to see what Monolith Soft will do!

Astray

Yeah i think so too. Nvidia will make as much as they can on this. That alone will porbably add another 50 on top.

Realisitcly the price should be 500. Which again is fair but not sure if the upgrade will be enough to have people buy it right away.
My money has always been on $450 for the Switch 2. $500 is too close to PS5/XSX territory (and exceeds XSS by $150), this would invite ideas like "if you play the Switch docked more than not then you're better off sticking with Sony and Xbox".

I just wonder how Nintendo plans to get people to upgrade to Switch 2, they have thoroughly trained people to ignore graphics, so they can't play that "look at how much more realistic Link's hair is in the new Zelda!" card, and on the other hand, they are now essentially forced by consumers to keep backcompat on (and thus have to keep the new gimmicks to a minimum to keep things seamless, meaning less opportunity to truly innovate and differentiate Switch 2 from 1).

The other big problem is Switch emulation (read: piracy) and how advanced (and rampant) it got, how are you going to sell the backcompat enhancement capabilities when a lot of people are emulating their games at better quality already? I might be overrating this one tho.

SNG32

At this point nintendo could have an incremental leap and slap the name on it switch 2 people will still buy that shit in droves. As long as it’s slightly better than the ordinal switch they will still see a shitload of sales.

Top Bottom