• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Godzilla gets extended run through October 27 + Makes over $1.5mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Well looks like Shin Godzilla did pretty well over here:

Godzilla, King of the Monsters, has taken over North America. The limited theatrical engagement of SHIN GODZILLA was scheduled to close tonight but in the wake of overwhelming fan response, Funimation Films announced that the movie will be extended due to popular demand. A special Saturday matinee screening of the film will take place on October 22 in more than 200 theaters across the U.S. and Canada. In addition, multiple national theater chains will be offering daily screenings of SHIN GODZILLA in select locations thru October 27. A complete list of locations for both this Saturday’s matinee as well as the new daily screenings is available via a theater locator on the official film website.

“We’re thrilled with the tremendous response to SHIN GODZILLA from the press, audiences and our theatrical partners,” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and President of Funimation. “Fans have been asking and we’re pleased to confirm that the movie will extend its run with this Saturday’s matinee as well as more than a week of daily screening.”

SHIN GODZILLA hit the $1M mark at the box office in its first three days and has grossed more than $1.5M since opening on October 11. It is the 29th film produced by Toho Co., Ltd. in the iconic science fiction monster franchise and is co-directed by Hideaki Anno (creator of EVANGELION) and co- directed by Shinji Higuchi (director of Toho’s 2015 ATTACK ON TITAN live action movies).

“We were confident that SHIN GODZILLA would be a hit with audiences and we’re excited to extend its theatrical run to keep up with fan demand,” said Mike DuBoise, EVP and COO of Funimation. “If you haven’t seen SHIN GODZILLA yet or want to catch an encore before it leaves theaters — now is the time.”

To purchase tickets to or find more information on SHIN GODZILLA, visit funimationfilms.com/shingodzilla.

Like Funimation on Facebook at facebook.com/funimation, and follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/funimation and Instagram at instagram.com/funimation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh man, I may have to see it again.

Theater was packed last weekend. Really surprised to see that in my area at a matinee.

Zombine

Banned
This was a really awesome Godzilla movie. CGI was hit or miss in places, but over all it was very enjoyable.

Fox Mulder

It's a great Japanese as fuck Godzilla film, which is what these should be. The hollywood films just can't bottle that.

It was fun being in a packed showing. I might have to try to see it again and will buy the bluray.

xk0sm0sx

“We’re thrilled with the tremendous response to SHIN GODZILLA from the press, audiences and our theatrical partners,” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and President of Funimation. “Fans have been asking and we’re pleased to confirm that the movie will extend its run with this Saturday’s matinee as well as more than a week of daily screening.”

Feels so good reading this. This movie deserves so much more.

Saw it last week. Was so happy to finally say I saw a Japanese Godzilla film at a theater. Crowd was medium size, which surprised me for the opening of a foreign film in the middle of the week. I overheard a convo a couple and the box office workers had too:

"It's the NEW Godzilla, from Japan"
"Is it dubbed?"
"No dubbing, English subtitles"
"OOOOOOH"

They ended up sitting right in front of me. Crowd loved it and it's worth they hype. Here's to the new Godzilla movie also being shown in Us theaters!

Riposte

Glad to hear it was successful. When I went, my theater was more or less packed except for the front two rows. Great movie.

Ridley327

Awesome news. The film is great, and the showing I went to last night was pretty damn packed as it was. It's good to see Funimation be successful in theaters with something that has nothing to do with Dragon Ball.

Glad to hear it's doing well enough for an encore run. Haven't been able to see it since there's no one screening it near here, not even the one local place that seems to get all the nerdy stuff like Sony's E3 conference and the recent DBZ movie. Maybe this new run might add some extra theaters?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wonder if Anno would give us a sequel? He could use an excuse to delay 4.0 for a few more years.

Ridley327

Anyone remember Resurrection of F's box office run in the US? Funimation has to be loving their success.

The new One Piece film will be a really interesting study when that starts its run in January. I think this is the first of the films that's gotten any kind of major theatrical release in the US.

steveovig

I missed it last week since I didn't have any weekend showings in my area without driving an hour and a half. This is good news though as I hope somewhere close shows it again and hopefully on the weekend or Friday.

Arkeband

Banned
I busted my ass to see it tonight and now it's being extended. LOL

It's a great movie, GAF needs to take advantage of this.

D-Man

Excellent news! Watched the film with a friend who loves Evangelion but had no prior experience with Godzilla and we both loved it. I definitely recommend checking it out.

Super Excited to see this, my very first Godzilla film!
Any recommendations on what essential Godzilla films to check out?
Is there a timeline or something?

Mechazawa

Oh shit, hope that means my local AMC extends it too. Have my current ticket set for Thursday, but I'd way prefer to see it on Friday.

Ridley327

If you're looking for more serious-minded films in the series, it goes without saying that you should track down the original 1954 film and The Return of Godzilla. They all share the same setup (Godzilla on his own as a pure antagonistic force, focusing a lot on the human drama as they figure out how to respond to the threat), but go about it in their own ways. Those two are available on Blu-ray, though it needs to be said that the Criterion version of the original is the only way to go, as the other Blu-ray is a really crappy upscale of an older DVD.

Fox Mulder

There's different eras with tone shifts and all that.

The original, return of Godzilla, and giant monsters all out attack are pretty great bad guy Godzilla films.

Yo! I never knew this was being shown. Just emailed a theater 40 miles away to see if they'll have another showing. Funimation listed them as the only one in my state :(

Ive noticed that over the coming days, a whole bunch more theatres will be showing this movie than there were before. That's cool.

Already seen it twice. Was entertaining a third at matinee prices but the theatre close to me that was showing it seems to be done. Cool that so many more theatres are joining in than at first, though. Must be doing relatively well.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

You've gotten some good recommendations already for the more serious stuff, but if you want to experience the best of the pure cornball nonsense that defines much of the series, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) cannot be beaten.

Koyuga

Glad to hear this limited run has been a success! I grabbed some tickets to see it again on saturday. If I could afford it, I'd see it every day it's playing. Incredible film.

steveovig

I just noticed that one of my local theaters is playing this again on Saturday, which is very ideal! It's only my second Godzilla film, as I've only seen the original, despite buying the BD of Godzilla 84 last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom