• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Xenoflare

The artist is fine, but every girl having huge boobs that make no sense gravity wise is silly.

Agreed, removing those anti gravity boobs and use normal proportions you'll have a rather consistent design. I liked how characters look in DeSu, it has a certain charm to it.

Though I cannot get over on how the DeSu 1 MC looks like Laharl in Disgaea

40detectives

Neo Member
Playing Strange Journey for the first time... Wow

what the hell with the dungeon designs ... I just got till the first/second sanctum and this has gone too much crazy, I hope I can stand it cause I'm enjoying the rest of the game really much.
2849080_o.gif

Shiina

Playing Strange Journey for the first time... Wow

what the hell with the dungeon designs ... I just got till the first/second sanctum and this has gone too much crazy, I hope I can stand it cause I'm enjoying the rest of the game really much.

What's your problem with it exactly? The artistic design? Cause you got another thing coming in the third sector.

40detectives

Neo Member
What's your problem with it exactly? The artistic design? Cause you got another thing coming in the third sector.
My 'complain' is the rambling routes of the dungeons, and how it complicates with the sanctum thing.
Ps: Yeah, third sector, Carina, is cool.

randomkid

I oughtta cross-post this here too for the 5 people still subscribed to this thread.

GAF's own Pepsiman, who you may know from various Persona and SMT translations and awesome tumblr stuff, is too modest and humble to shill for himself here but I sure don't have any issue doing it for him!

He's trying out an experiment where he crowdfunds translations of old amazing interviews.

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107257220139/eirikrjs-dont-you-hate-finding-an-interesting

The first one is a lengthy interview with Kazuma Kaneko (!!!), Cozy Okada and Satomi Tadoshi chatting it up about Persona 1.

From character and even Velvet Room design inspirations to the relationship between Philemon and Igor to even the Snow Queen quest, the interview touches upon a lot of specific topics on the original Persona game, oftentimes from angles not widely explored amongst the fans themselves. And perhaps most importantly symbolically, it’s a great showcase of the chemistry behind some of Atlus’ most historically iconic creative forces, shedding a rare light on the real, passionate friendships that helped fuel the creation of the company’s early games.

I contributed of course but even if you don't care I kinda see it as a nice tip for all that cool translation work Pepsiman generally does. It's just kind of a way to show you appreciate his effort is how I see it.

So if you feel the same way, Paypal over something to freelansations@gmail.com if you can.

Only $95 left, let's positive thinking!

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107581104609/persona-1-interview-article-fundraising-update-2

Decided to chip away a little more at Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (MT1 specifically). I'm pushing up into the Murzurka area, which if the dungeon map is correct, seems to be especially large. Meanwhile I still haven't beaten the 3rd boss back in Valhalla. I got really close when I attempted to fight Loki, but he overpowered me in the end. I feel like with a few more levels or possibly stronger demons (easier said than done), I should be able to beat him. It's a good thing the game allows for me to move onto Murzurka despite having not beaten the boss from the area before.

I oughtta cross-post this here too for the 5 people still subscribed to this thread.

GAF's own Pepsiman, who you may know from various Persona and SMT translations and awesome tumblr stuff, is too modest and humble to shill for himself here but I sure don't have any issue doing it for him!

He's trying out an experiment where he crowdfunds translations of old amazing interviews.

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107257220139/eirikrjs-dont-you-hate-finding-an-interesting

The first one is a lengthy interview with Kazuma Kaneko (!!!), Cozy Okada and Satomi Tadoshi chatting it up about Persona 1.

I contributed of course but even if you don't care I kinda see it as a nice tip for all that cool translation work Pepsiman generally does. It's just kind of a way to show you appreciate his effort is how I see it.

So if you feel the same way, Paypal over something to freelansations@gmail.com if you can.

Only $95 left, let's positive thinking!

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107581104609/persona-1-interview-article-fundraising-update-2

This is so cool. I may chip something in if money is right in these coming weeks.

randomkid

Decided to chip away a little more at Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (MT1 specifically). I'm pushing up into the Murzurka area, which if the dungeon map is correct, seems to be especially large. Meanwhile I still haven't beaten the 3rd boss back in Valhalla. I got really close when I attempted to fight Loki, but he overpowered me in the end. I feel like with a few more levels or possibly stronger demons (easier said than done), I should be able to beat him. It's a good thing the game allows for me to move onto Murzurka despite having not beaten the boss from the area before.

This is so cool. I may chip something in if money is right in these coming weeks.

Yeah I hope people chip in when they can!

Pushing ahead in MT1 if you're stuck seems pretty smart, some of those later zone enemies give you ridiculous amounts of experience based on level disparities. You might also want to try to buy some of those late stage armors that are accessible to you if you're dying to the boss, winning at Big and Small should help you earn enough money for that.

I beat MT2 a little over a week ago (all three endings!) and it's remained in my thoughts since then, I was thinking about making a thread about it at some point. It's really an amazing game in a lot of ways and anyone who's a fan of SMT2 especially absolutely needs to play it.

Fun fact! The Gargoyle's in Megami Tensei know a move that can make Nakajima or Yumiko lose a level if it lands! What fun!

On the other hand, I've beaten Loki and have gotten further into Murzurka.

Shiina

Thanks, what's the multi headed serpent?

Mother Harlot's uh... mount.

Within the Book of Revelation, The Harlot is known as "Babylon the Great, Mother of Prostitutes and Abominations of the Earth," or "Whore of Babylon" for short. She appears as wearing a purple robe. The color purple was associated with the Roman Empire. Indeed the Harlot and her beast can be seen as an allegory of Rome, the Empire and the Emperor. The beast she rides has seven heads. In fact, Rome has seven hills, so the heads could reflect the ancient power of Rome, which traditionally was one of antiquity's most powerful empires. Alternatively, the heads of the beast could represent the seven great kingdoms of the ancient world and their rulers. ―

randomkid

That's Alfred, Nate's manservant turned final Persona. I think that art is from his look in Persona 2.

And yes Kaneko Cribs is basically the best tumblr.

By the way, that Persona interview I was blabbing about upthread got funded! http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/110229128179/persona-1-article-fundraising-concluding-tonight

You can still give Pepsiman a bit of dough though for future translation efforts, like the SMT history feature from the special edition of SMT3. He posted an unfinished version on twitch here at 13:05 and it's fantastic, lots of neat tidbits and Nocturne prototype footage but I'm dying to hear the rest of what Kaneko's talking about so go go go.

cj_iwakura

That's Alfred, Nate's manservant turned final Persona. I think that art is from his look in Persona 2.

By the way, that Persona interview I was blabbing about upthread got funded! http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/110229128179/persona-1-article-fundraising-concluding-tonight

You can still give Pepsiman a bit of dough though for future translation efforts, like the SMT history feature from the special edition of SMT3. He posted an unfinished version on twitch here at 13:05 and it's fantastic, lots of neat tidbits and Nocturne prototype footage but I'm dying to hear the rest of what Kaneko's talking about so go go go.

I have a lot of respect for the guy, but I'm not sure why he needs funding to basically slap subtitles onto a video...

Tizoc

How do I give him the dough? I don't see a link to a paypal or donation window.

randomkid

I have a lot of respect for the guy, but I'm not sure why he needs funding to basically slap subtitles onto a video...

this is pretty dumb and insulting considering all the free ish he's put out over the years. he goes into the technical details here.

How do I give him the dough? I don't see a link to a paypal or donation window.

You can paypal him at freelansations at gmail and put "smt" in the comment, I dunno why he always buries that info in his posts.

cj_iwakura

this is pretty dumb and insulting considering all the free ish he's put out over the years. he goes into the technical details here.

I'm aware of that. I find it more 'insulting' to request money for something like that when I've spent years translating entire games and never asked for a dime. To each their own, though. He's a very adept translator, and I like his style, I just don't feel it's appropriate to request money to translate decade-old videos.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, I need a bit of help with SMT IV:

I'm on the Neutral ending section, and I hear I need to
do a quest called "Tokyo Cosmos". What do I need to do before it shows up (I read somewhere it's given to me at the Ginza Hunter's Association but if I go there Burroughs tells me there are no new quests)? I have only like 5 quests left (other than the VR ones), so I'm guessing I need to do one of those to make it available?

Thanks in advance! I feel so proud of making it this far
KuGsj.gif
I'll be making a LTTP as soon as I'm finished.

Soulhouf

@Fireblend
Just in case, did you start the Chalice Main Quest (talk to Masakado)?
The Tokyo Cosmos should show up as soon as you do that. It was the case during all my Neutral runs.
Other than that, try talking to demons, perhaps one of these quests is mandatory to unlock the one you're looking for.

This probably doesn't go here, but should I play Digital Devil Saga before starting to read Quantum Devil Saga? I don't have access to a PS2 anymore and I keep hearing problems with the PSN version of it.

This probably doesn't go here, but should I play Digital Devil Saga before starting to read Quantum Devil Saga? I don't have access to a PS2 anymore and I keep hearing problems with the PSN version of it.

Dont know the answer, but its and SMT community thread, why wouldn't that go here?

Got back to Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Souless Army after spending months away. Got to what I think is the final dungeon. Lore references are always a nice surprise.

Fireblend

Banned
So I finally beat SMT IV today. As promised, and because I think the game is severely misunderstood/underrated, I made a LTTP over at the gaming side. Since you guys have played more SMT games, I'd appreciate some comments on what I thought of the game. Do other mainline SMTs have a similar difficulty curve to SMT IV?

Since you guys have played more SMT games, I'd appreciate some comments on what I thought of the game. Do other mainline SMTs have a similar difficulty curve to SMT IV?

God no. SMTIV's curve is all wonky. Games like Nocturne/DDS/DSO all have a fairly consistent "this game is difficult and you'll die sometimes" sort of curve. SMTIV was straight brutal in the beginning and then easy for the rest of the game.

God no. SMTIV's curve is all wonky. Games like Nocturne/DDS/DSO all have a fairly consistent "this game is difficult and you'll die sometimes" sort of curve. SMTIV was straight brutal in the beginning and then easy for the rest of the game.

I said it before and ill say it again. I really think the freedom they gave you in smt4 with whispers and choosing your inheritance worked to the games detriment in terms of difficulty. If the SMT games are going to insist on being so free with what skills you can learn, they're going to have to rethink the enemies stats, skill sets, tactics, the skills you have available and when...pretty much the entire difficulty balance equation to make sure it all works properly (which in my definition means not too easy, and ideally at least somewhat tough). The ability to never let go of an ideal skill as soon as you see it once is just too gamechanging to ignore.

Refyref

I said it before and ill say it again. I really think the freedom they gave you in smt4 with whispers and choosing your inheritance worked to the games detriment in terms of difficulty. If the SMT games are going to insist on being so free with what skills you can learn, they're going to have to rethink the enemies stats, skill sets, tactics, the skills you have available and when...pretty much the entire difficulty balance equation to make sure it all works properly (which in my definition means not too easy, and ideally at least somewhat tough). The ability to never let go of an ideal skill as soon as you see it once is just too gamechanging to ignore.

But that's also why the systems were so fun in 4. On the other hand, 3 was the most limited customization-wise in the main series, and it's also the one I found least fun.

NeonZ

They just need to keep SMTIV's freedom, but give demons specific skill lists that they can learn, rather than just allow any of them to learn everything aside from the few rare demon-exclusive skills.

Nocturne does have a sudden spike early on with Matador, but only with you're new to the series, I guess.

But that's also why the systems were so fun in 4. On the other hand, 3 was the most limited customization-wise in the main series, and it's also the one I found least fun.

Personally, once I realized that I had so easily and throughly taken command of the game so that I was hardly ever in danger again, the combat on SMT4 took a serious dip in terms of fun. The best moments of SMT 4 combst wise was in Naraku and early Tokyo when i didn't have all the skills needed to become a Demon extermination squad.

I admit that its refreshing to have some freedom, but not when it comes at the cost of making me afraid of what the games going to through at me next.

Refyref

Personally, once I realized that I had so easily and throughly taken command of the game so that I was hardly ever in danger again, the combat on SMT4 took a serious dip in terms of fun. The best moments of SMT 4 combst wise was in Naraku and early Tokyo when i didn't have all the skills needed to become a Demon extermination squad.

I admit that its refreshing to have some freedom, but not when it comes at the cost of making me afraid of what the games going to through at me next.

A middle ground would probably be the best. Make equipment the most important part for the main character, and allow less balance breaking due to skill whisper.

Still, I'd much rather have a messy balance than an almost complete lack of customization.

Arizato

I have a question for all you Megami Tensei fans on NeoGAF: Have any of you seen Giten Megami Tensei for sale anywhere? If you google it, be prepared for some NSFW stuff, just so you are aware.

I started collecting Megami Tensei games two years ago and I have come across pretty much every Megami Tensei game for sale somwhere except for Giten Megami Tensei. So at this point it is pretty much my holy graal of collecting.

Tizoc

iF i Could still make threads, I'd make one just so people will know that there's more to jRPG artists than Nomura and Amano....Kaneko deserves more recognition.

tumblr_njwl0iMvfC1unyfbho1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_njwl0iMvfC1unyfbho2_r4_1280.png

tumblr_njwl0iMvfC1unyfbho3_r1_1280.png

tumblr_njwl0iMvfC1unyfbho4_r1_1280.png

koutoru

In two years (1 year if you count the books), the Megami Tensei franchise will be 30 years old.

I wonder if Atlus is planning anything special for the occasion. For a series that's been going on this long, I certainly hope they do.

Aeana

In two years (1 year if you count the books), the Megami Tensei franchise will be 30 years old.

I wonder if Atlus is planning anything special for the occasion. For a series that's been going on this long, I certainly hope they do.

A new Persona game.
It's like when Capcom gave Zero his own game on Mega Man's anniversary.

I want a new spin off game, something along the lines of Digital Devil Saga. Devil Survivor is good but I don't like the art style.

Would be cool to get a console mainline SMT game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did they do anything for the 25th anniversary? I don't remember anything special.

At least we could do another anniversary playthrough thread.

Jb

Would be cool to get a console mainline SMT game.

I was wondering if it was more likely to happen after P5, after that they've done HD models of the demons. Or has the public for mainline SMT games shifted to handhelds now that it's been so long we haven't gotten one on consoles?

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on SMTV being on the 3DS.
Maybe if the PS4 version of P5 does well enough and the PS4 starts to turn things around in Japan, they'll consider releasing the next SMT on it. Depending on when they release it, a PS3 version could still be viable to act as "safety net".

Anyway, I've been playing DS Overclocked.
When I played the vanilla version of Devil Survivor I never let Haru die so I never realized that when that happens it locks you out of all the endings except Yuzu's (which is pretty much the bad ending).
That is some serious BS.
It doesn't really bother me since I plan on playing through all 8th day scenarios and Yuzu's is one of them, but imo that was a really stupid decision.

Top Bottom