• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Soulhouf

In two years (1 year if you count the books), the Megami Tensei franchise will be 30 years old.

I wonder if Atlus is planning anything special for the occasion. For a series that's been going on this long, I certainly hope they do.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Maniax*

* PS4/WiiU version with Kaneko's comeback, balancing issues fixed and a new central dungeon.

Weiss

Banned
In two years (1 year if you count the books), the Megami Tensei franchise will be 30 years old.

I wonder if Atlus is planning anything special for the occasion. For a series that's been going on this long, I certainly hope they do.

I'm hoping for SMT5. Maybe Deviliser if that's actually an SMT game.

koutoru

I can't think of anything Kaneko's done since Strange Journey's character art, which was over 5 years ago.
He worked on scenario drafts in Shin Megami Tensei IV but he hasn't had a major art role since Strange Journey.
The thing is though, unlike Soejima, he has been Atlus's main Demon designer this whole time, and now that we're getting classic demon designs back in Persona 5, he might make a return to his art role.

In terms of a new game, I would love if they could get Aya Nishitani to work on the story for game (Megami Tensei III, anybody?) .
It would be interesting to see him write directly for a game instead of going from book to game.

NeonZ

The thing is though, unlike Soejima, he has been Atlus's main Demon designer this whole time, and now that we're getting classic demon designs back in Persona 5, he might make a return to his art role.

Technically they never left. Even SMTIV only replaced a few of his modern designs(Archangels, Lucifer, Lilith) every other one only replaced very old ones (pre-art style change Kaneko art) or were new demons altogether, while most demons were still Kaneko.

I actually wish they hired new artists to redesign or design new demons for a new game with an unified art style, rather than just a few random "guest designs" like in SMTIV, while keeping most of Kaneko's designs around. I know this would be blasphemy to most of the fanbase though, but I was pretty disappointed by the low number of new demon designs in SMTIV - although I think everyone agrees that the inconsistent art style wasn't a good idea.

Technically they never left. Even SMTIV only replaced a few of his modern designs(Archangels, Lucifer, Lilith) every other one only replaced very old ones (pre-art style change Kaneko art) or were new demons altogether, while most demons were still Kaneko.

I actually wish they hired new artists to redesign or design new demons for a new game with an unified art style, rather than just a few random "guest designs" like in SMTIV, while keeping most of Kaneko's designs around. I know this would be blasphemy to most of the fanbase though, but I was pretty disappointed by the low number of new demon designs in SMTIV - although I think everyone agrees that the inconsistent art style wasn't a good idea.

I agree. As much as I love Kaneko's art, I wouldn't mind a new artist taking the reins if they do it consistently. I was worried when I heard Meguro wasn't going to do the music in SMT4 and that turned out very nicely (though it was silly in retrospect since the older Megaten games weren't Meguro done and still had notable tracks)

I'm at the final boss of nocturne, and I was wondering if any of the other games play faster than nocturne. It feels like the whole game was just so slow in terms of gameplay speed.

Refyref

I'm at the final boss of nocturne, and I was wondering if any of the other games play faster than nocturne. It feels like the whole game was just so slow in terms of gameplay speed.

Naturally, since the other mainline games are 2D and in first person, they spend a lot less time on fluff animation, and therefore are much faster in battles. Play Soul Hackers or SMT4 if you want a game with particularly fast battles.

Tizoc

Can't you speed up the combat in SMT3? I think there's a button that'll let you skip much of the animation, unless I'm thinking of auto battle?

I know there's a button that lets you rush the enemies with physicals, but that's mostly for grinding and trash mobs. I don't remember Nocturne having an auto mode like SMT1 and 2 do (repeating the last action).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I just started playing through IV after getting it on the sale, and I keep waiting for this supposed difficulty spike at the start which I keep hearing about, but I've just
met the black samurai
and I haven't really found it hard at all really. Is there a boss or something that will stop me at my tracks or did I pass it?

Weiss

Banned
So I just started playing through IV after getting it on the sale, and I keep waiting for this supposed difficulty spike at the start which I keep hearing about, but I've just
met the black samurai
and I haven't really found it hard at all really. Is there a boss or something that will stop me at my tracks or did I pass it?

Very, very soon.

met the black samurai

Oh, you'll know it when you get there.

Naturally, since the other mainline games are 2D and in first person, they spend a lot less time on fluff animation, and therefore are much faster in battles. Play Soul Hackers or SMT4 if you want a game with particularly fast battles.

Yeah I yes being in 3D makes it rather slow, thanks.

BlackJace

met the black samurai

Prepare yourself

Soulhouf

Ooof, yeah, guess I've reached that point.

Wasn't that bad though honestly. :p

To be honest, what you heard is way overstated. The game isn't hard or anything in the beginning and the fact that you can save anywhere makes it even easier.
With that said, the game has a lot of balancing issues and it will become a lot easier later which is a shame.

I feel like most of the complaints were from people who are playing Shin Megami Tensei for the first time. It's kind of like to be complaining about Matador in Nocturne. It's hard in the sense that it's teaching you a rough lesson about how you need to set up your party in Shin Megami Tensei. Of course there is something to be said about the game not giving you a large amount of abilities at the start.

BlackJace

Matador was kind of fucked up though. I mean, you didn't need to really grind or anything, but your tactics and knowledge of the battle system had to be on-point. And at that early in the game, I didn't think it was fair to expect the player to be on that level.

Golnei

Matador was kind of fucked up though. I mean, you didn't need to really grind or anything, but your tactics and knowledge of the battle system had to be on-point. And at that early in the game, I didn't think it was fair to expect the player to be on that level.

I don't think it's that unreasonable - as you said, no grinding is required, and most first-time players easily make it past him once they know what to do. Placing him that early may not have been a mistake, but the correct strategy should perhaps have been made more obvious ingame.

Heropon

Is this the place where I can complain about Soul Hackers being mean to me? I thought I was doing more or less well and then some random enemies start casting Hama until they kill the healer because it protected the hero and when I finish them for some reason three more powerful than normal demons appear from nowhere and destroy me. I suppose I have to carry more healing demons, right? :(

I don't think it's that unreasonable - as you said, no grinding is required, and most first-time players easily make it past him once they know what to do. Placing him that early may not have been a mistake, but the correct strategy should perhaps have been made more obvious ingame.

"I can't hit him, I need speed"

BlackJace

Yeah I think we're in agreement then. He was designed just fine, I think placing him that early was a mistake, as you said.

cj_iwakura

Is this the place where I can complain about Soul Hackers being mean to me? I thought I was doing more or less well and then some random enemies start casting Hama until they kill the healer because it protected the hero and when I finish them for some reason three more powerful than normal demons appear from nowhere and destroy me. I suppose I have to carry more healing demons, right? :(

Or buffers. Buffing is pretty broken in SH.

Nap1400

I think "agility/accuracy maximized" made the necessary strategy relatively obvious. It just made for a very painful lesson once you saw those words.

Antiwhippy

The map is kind of a pain in the ass. Kinda hard to tell which part is accessible and which is not.

They also don't really give you much of a direction but I'm ok with that for now.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say, while I don't mind the lack of direction in the main quest since I don't mind exploring a bit, the lack of direction in some sub quests really erk me.

I was doing a sub and have no idea where to fucking go and stumbled upon the main quest location. Then I went "fuck it" and just abandoned the sub quest.

Also goddamnit why is a character as cool-looking as
Kaga die with so little impact to the story.
:(

BlackJace

Gotta say, while I don't mind the lack of direction in the main quest since I don't mind exploring a bit, the lack of direction in some sub quests really erk me.

I was doing a sub and have no idea where to fucking go and stumbled upon the main quest location. Then I went "fuck it" and just abandoned the sub quest.

Also goddamnit why is a character as cool-looking as
Kaga die with so little impact to the story.
:(

Subs get better later, IMO. And yeah, the spoiler was a disappointment for me as well.

40detectives

Neo Member
I'd say it's completely broken. Still love the game to bits though.

Yeah, good stuff. Map is a bit of a pain to navigate though.
I still need to get the dlc and talking about SH makes me want to replay. God, I love this franchise so much.

Woa Soul Hackers was my last SMT game finished, and gameplay wise I loved it (not so much plot wise). I don't remember it pretty much annoying in spamming enemy replacements though.

40detectives

Neo Member
B-yZPTJUEAA0dt_.jpg

I'm laughting so hard right now

more great interview translations, bless you tumblr people, bless you

http://dijeh.tumblr.com/post/112061547953/with-the-occasion-of-shin-megami-tensei-iii

Kaneko will always be my hero but Okada, you are also missed.

"Fuck you, here's another stretch of 5 bosses"

Also:

Any favourites?
Kaneko: I love all of them, but I find Yuuko’s dual nature, her femininity and cruelty, very scary.
Okada: Well, that’s how she was written, there’s nothing we can do about it (laughs). In reality, there aren’t women who are only pleasant.
Kaneko: Our games don’t have idol-like characters. I think there are characters female players can also sympathise with.

^^^^ Gets it. Been getting it.

Golnei

I had no idea that the majority of the early games' demons were designed sprite-first. It seems like an odd decision to make, but I guess it makes sense when trying to maintain artistic cohesion on limited hardware.

I had no idea that the majority of the early games' demons were designed sprite-first. It seems like an odd decision to make, but I guess it makes sense when trying to maintain artistic cohesion on limited hardware.

Likewise, I'm surprised about that too. It just seems natural to build off of concept art. I wonder if/when Kaneko decided to work more off of concept art, especially since many demons have different designs later in the series, especially in Devil Summoner, which seems to be the other major source of the demon designs that we know and love along with SMT 1 and 2.

That's really interesting. I can definitely see why he'd do it, but it's a cool change from many artists' process of degrading a fleshed out design idea to work as a sprite.

Zebetite

Banned
Hey y'all, I've been playing through Soul Hackers lately. Just finished up the
Algon Microelectronics
dungeon.

The game had been a pretty big cakewalk until this dungeon, where the random encounters gave me my first Game Over and then continued to do so (the usual OHKO shenanigans) and the boss was real crazy and took a lot out of me.

My question is, what's the deal? Did I get underleveled (I'm 47, for reference) at some point? Is this just a somewhat arbitrary spike in difficulty that will level out in the next short while, or should I settle in for the long haul and expect the game to keep up at this rate?

cj_iwakura

Algon Microelectronics
dungeon.

The game had been a pretty big cakewalk until this dungeon, where the random encounters gave me my first Game Over and then continued to do so (the usual OHKO shenanigans) and the boss was real crazy and took a lot out of me.

My question is, what's the deal? Did I get underleveled (I'm 47, for reference) at some point? Is this just a somewhat arbitrary spike in difficulty that will level out in the next short while, or should I settle in for the long haul and expect the game to keep up at this rate?

It starts to get fairly difficult, but if you exploit buffs/debuffs and such, you should get by fine. Try to have a custom demon that preempts the enemies so you can buff before they attack. It's more useful than one with attack or healing magic. Ideally Rakukaja/Sukukaja/Tarukaja. (not necessarily in that order)

Shiina

Algon Microelectronics
dungeon.

I remember being stuck on that boss for a couple hours but I was playing on hard. His damage is crazy.

I think the biggest problem is that he does tons of magic damage and at this point in the game (unless you're overlevelled) you don't have access to any half decent magic resistant demons.

Top Bottom