• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Kazerei

Banned
dr3Fj.jpg

hF6RF.png

Official website

JP: July 28, 2011
NA: February 28, 2012
EU: sorry, but at least you can import and play it on a DS or 3DS

hQ3IQ.jpg

dmKhw.png

The main character and two classmates are walking home when they receive emails on their cellphones from a website called Nicaea. The emails contain videos depicting their imminent deaths. Ooh, scary!

Meanwhile, a series of strange disasters are happening all across Japan. What's the cause of all this? It's a mystery!

0djKJ.png

Devil Survivor 2 is a strategy RPG featuring the demon lore of the MegaTen franchise. There's nothing quite like Devil Survivor, but its gameplay system is essentially comprised of many common RPG elements.

The battlefield is a square grid on which enemy and ally teams take turns moving, attacking, and performing other actions. When an attack is initiated, the battle plays out like one turn of a Dragon Quest-style battle, but up to two extra turns can be granted by landing critical hits or blocking/exploiting elemental strengths/weaknesses.

Building strong demons is really the crux of the game, and demon fusion is one of the main features you'll be using. Basically you can fuse two demons into one higher-tier demon, and you can choose which skills the child inherits from its parents.

Outside of battle, there's only two things you can do: (1) view events and dialogue, and (2) build and manage your party and demons. That's it.

There are multiple routes and endings depending on the event and dialogue choices you make. And there is a new game plus feature to help you breeze through subsequent playthroughs.

The gameplay system is much more detailed than I've described here, but this should give you an idea of what the game is like.

PfB6L.png

Q. Do I need to play DS1 before DS2?

A. No, the stories and characters are completely separate.

Q. What's new in DS2?

A. The most important new features are the Demon Compendium and the Fate System. Other than that, there's alot more demons, more skills, more characters, and some other tweaks to the gameplay system.
  • Demon Compendium: In DS1, the only way to obtain a new demon was to buy one from the Auction, so building really strong demons was tedious. In DS2 (and Overclocked), you can register your current demons in the Compendium, and then buy clones of the registered demons. It's expensive, but building strong demons is now much more efficient.

• Fate System: The main character has a "relationship rank" with each of the other characters, which is affected by event and dialogue choices. There are various bonuses for increasing a character's relationship rank, such as sharing skill cracks and better elemental resistance.
Q. Is this game hard?

A. It's probably harder than most RPGs, but it's not unfairly brutal or anything. You should know that simply leveling up isn't enough, you really have to put effort into team building and strategy.

Q. How should I build the main character?

A. In DS2 both physical and magical builds work well. Unlike in DS1 where a physical build sucked.

Q. Will there be a Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked?

A. Highly unlikely. DS2 already has many of the improvements in DSO.

ZUsTm.png

1UP: A-
Destructoid: 8.5/10
GameSpot: 8.5/10
Joystiq: 4.5/5
JustPushStart: 4/5
Nintendo Power: 8/10
Nintendo World Report
RPGamer: 3.5/5
RPGFan: 89%
Siliconera playtest
Worthplaying: 8.5/10
ZTGD: 8.8/10

oP5DV.png

Teaser trailer
Invasion trailer
Gameplay trailer
Battle tutorial

v1FFy.jpg
5GrVL.jpg
nfnVq.jpg
luqeP.jpg

BYO07.jpg

wrowa

Damn, I completely forgot about this game.

What's the word on it? Have they fixed the balancing issues of the first one?

Kazerei

Banned
Damn, I completely forgot about this game.

What's the word on it? Have they fixed the balancing issues of the first one?

In terms of the difficulty? From this import review,

The first few days are average/easy difficulty and then around halfway the game gets BRUTALLY MEAN and every single boss fight from that point on is all odds stacked against you, life or death. By the last few days even the normal enemies can be annoying with all their reflects and megidos. It's all doable and if you make the right team and play smart you'll win. But the game poses a challenge beyond anything megaten since Nocturne IMO in the 2nd half. It's really freaking hard and mean and it will be painful to play. Surprisingly though the final day boss rush is much easier than DS1 and the final boss is weird for a megaten game.

Is there an easy mode? Yes, I'm aware I'm a baby.

No easy mode, sorry

Loved DS but with Vita releasing tomorrow this is the worst time they could have released it for me
I'll import it in a few months for sure though, hopefully it's good as the first one

ronito

I found the first devil survivor to be a little, grindy/more difficult than I really wanted. I really have been thinking of going back to it, but I dunno if I want to be destroyed again so soon.

My next game after Kingdoms of Amalur. I beat the first game more times than any other game I've ever owned. Hope this game has a shit-ton of endings, too.

zulux21

thanks for the official thread.
I am excited for this game but unfortunately it didn't quite make the cut... the lack of preorder bonus was what made me decide to not get it due to financial reasons. I will be getting it down the line though so I hope it's as good as the first game (which I own twice over on the ds and 3ds... which was the other reason for my preorder cancellation)

atomsk

Party Pooper
already preordered

same day as Binary Domain though, I'll probably play that first (since it's shorter)

FreeMufasa

Cool, so I can import an NA copy and play it on my PAL 3DS?

Also where are the boobs? You can't have that title and no pics.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
The first is my favorite DS game, but my DS was recently destroyed by some combination of me leaving it on the bathroom counter and a mixture of makeup and water. I don't know if I can repair it, and if I don't, I don't know how long I'll have to wait for this game.

I am interested.

nice ot! :)

as caught up in vita fever as i am, this's the game i'll be playing as soon as i get my hands on it. still consider the first one a minor masterpiece...

Kazerei

Banned
Loved DS but with Vita releasing tomorrow this is the worst time they could have released it for me
I'll import it in a few months for sure though, hopefully it's good as the first one

thanks for the official thread.
I am excited for this game but unfortunately it didn't quite make the cut... the lack of preorder bonus was what made me decide to not get it due to financial reasons. I will be getting it down the line though so I hope it's as good as the first game (which I own twice over on the ds and 3ds... which was the other reason for my preorder cancellation)

Don't wait too long ... there's a very good chance this will become rare.

Cool, so I can import an NA copy and play it on my PAL 3DS?

Also where are the boobs? You can't have that title and no pics.

Yeah, you can import and play it. And I added boobies to the end just for you.

never got the first one... so i take it i can grab this one safely and play it since they are unrelated?

Yeah, there's no need to get the first one.

UberTag

I feel bad about not supporting this in anticipation of another Overclocked port to 3DS... even though one has not been announced.

well crap now that i read the comment about this game being even harder than the first one i am also deterred :( i remember playing Nocturne back in the day and giving up halfway because it got too frustrating somehow

zulux21

Don't wait too long ... there's a very good chance this will become rare.
I weighed that thought when I was debating about cancelling my preorder and decided that given both Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked are both available for their original price or less that it shouldn't be that high of a risk of it becoming rare and super expensive (at least not online, at B&M it will likely start off rare) Either way though I will likely own it before the end of the year, it just came out at a bad time for me... the same day as the Neptunia 2 LE (which will hands down become rare as it's already sold out and isn't released yet lol which is a shame as I have no doubts Devil Survivor 2 will be the better game) the day before I move to a new place (which will kill my gaming budget for a few months) and two weeks before Tales of Graces F which is a can't miss game for me.

I also can't help but wonder if this game is going to get the 3ds treatment like the first game did. Atlus has gotten very very remake/remaster friendly these last few years and I really don't want to double dip again like I did with the first game. What do you guys think, do you think Devil Survivor 2 will see an overclocked version like the first one did?

mollipen

Shin Megami Tensei? More like "Succulent Mammaries & Titties" AM I RITE?!

...no seriously, holy crap at the breastage in this game. When did my Atlus become Team Ninja?

weeaboo

Shin Megami Tensei? More like "Succulent Mammaries & Titties" AM I RITE?!

...no seriously, holy crap at the breastage in this game. When did my Atlus become Team Ninja?

Suzuhito Yasuda seal of boobiness, Anri from Durarara have another nice pair

x2KdM.jpg

Verelios

Damn. I need to get overclocked too.

Such a rushed year for games, that I'm not sure if I'll have any time to relax anymore. But then again, you had me at SRPG.

Jenga

Banned
So what's the verdict overseas on this one? More of the same? Improvement over the original?

more breasts is already a plus

Top Bottom