• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Pre-ordered.

Liked Overclocked, although I still haven't gotten all the endings. Wish you could save them all without playing through the whole game again. As it stands I just made a save at the decision point and will wrap it up rather than doing new game plus.

New story is cool, hopefully I enjoy it.

I don't love super difficult games, but I thought outside of maybe 1 or 2 battles that Overclocked was pretty easy, so hopefully that isn't a problem here.

Smo21

loved the 1st one, cant wait! Might play this on my 3ds since i gave my dad my dslite, hope the upscaling isnt to bad.

Mitama

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447745

Vast improvement in gameplay, though the story sounds a bit weaker.

Hmm, actually I'm not so sure about that (the story part, that is).

Devil Survivor story spoilers:
Bebpo: "The plot in DS2 basically has nothing to do with megaten, sorta like Persona. While DS1 was SWAMPED in megaten lore with the story being about DEMONS and hell and heaven."

When I first read that I was kind of let down since Devil Survivor's story was one of the things I loved most about the game and I was hoping for some kind of continuation in the same direction.

Then I read this though (Devil Survivor 2 story spoilers, I guess?):
Bebpo: "The plot is feels more like an anime; a really really dark anime full of death and well, f-ed up stuff. For the alien creatures the developers got Mohiro Kitoh to design them. Kitoh is a manga writer/artist who has done family friendly works such as Narutaru and Bokurano. Note that was sarcasm. Kitoh's manga are known for being f-ed up x-rated stories where the main draw (since the stories are kind of lol) is that horrible violence happens out of nowhere and makes you sick to your stomach. The developers seem to have taken not only Kitoh's artistic designs to heart, but his storytelling (though DS2 is nowhere near as messed up as either of Kitoh's manga). People die A LOT and the game is about the end of the world in a very depressing manor."
and that definitely got my hopes up! I absolutely love dark stories so now I'm looking forward to playing this even more! :D

UGH THAT "ART". Just...ugh...

The first few days are average/easy difficulty and then around halfway the game gets BRUTALLY MEAN and every single boss fight from that point on is all odds stacked against you, life or death. By the last few days even the normal enemies can be annoying with all their reflects and megidos. It's all doable and if you make the right team and play smart you'll win. But the game poses a challenge beyond anything megaten since Nocturne IMO in the 2nd half. It's really freaking hard and mean and it will be painful to play. Surprisingly though the final day boss rush is much easier than DS1 and the final boss is weird for a megaten game.

Yup, that's a Megaten alright. Cozy be praised!

Shin Megami Tensei? More like "Succulent Mammaries & Titties" AM I RITE?!

...no seriously, holy crap at the breastage in this game. When did my Atlus become Team Ninja?

And a gratuitous disrobing fetish (is this some recently arrived anime trope? Either that or this artist's author tracting big-time).

weeaboo

UGH THAT "ART". Just...ugh...

Yup, that's a Megaten alright. Cozy be praised!

And a gratuitous disrobing fetish (is this some recently arrived anime trope? Either that or this artist's author tracting big-time).

Yasuda designs are awesome (´_ゝ`)

Koroviev

Been looking out for this OT. Can't wait for the 28th :)

Still need to finish Strange Journey. Stupid hidden doors :(

Koroviev

loved the 1st one, cant wait! Might play this on my 3ds since i gave my dad my dslite, hope the upscaling isnt to bad.

I've been playing Strange Journey on the 3DS and it really doesn't look that bad. To be honest, I don't recall it looking much better on the DS.

One week to go. :D
Shin Megami Tensei? More like "Succulent Mammaries & Titties" AM I RITE?!

...no seriously, holy crap at the breastage in this game. When did my Atlus become Team Ninja?
I blame the director, same director for the Growlanser series. It's a shame that quite possibly the best new SMT spinoff has the suckiest character designs. :\ I'm kind of glad there isn't an option to play as a girl MC. *crosses fingers for Devil Survivor 3*
A little fanservice never hurt anyone.
Fanservice slaughtered my family and ran over my dog. True story.
Yasuda designs are awesome (´_ゝ`)
You are a bad person and should feel bad.

Natiko

Banned
My main complaint with the first one was that it seemed much too easy to pick the ending you want and get destroyed by the big jump in difficulty if it was your first time through. I had been doing fine up until the end and got demolished until I grinded a ton. Is this changed in the new one or the same? I have it ordered from Amazon already but I was just curious.

OMG Aero

I don't suppose anyone knows a good site where I could import this to the UK?
I've been meaning to get a SMT game for a while now (I've only played P3 FES and P4) and since it seems like they are never going to localise the 3DS game and this one is a seperate story, I'm thinking I might just get this one instead.

Volcynika

I've been meaning to get a SMT game for a while now (I've only played P3 FES and P4) and since it seems like they are never going to localise the 3DS game and this one is a seperate story, I'm thinking I might just get this one instead.

I've heard VideoGamesPlus from a few, but probably want to ask people that have used it.

Torraz

Hooray, just received an e-mail that my axelmusic.com order will finish packing in 0-6 hours. Usually their shipping takes around a week or so, so even in the EU I might not have to wait too much longer than US gamers.

Torraz

Videogamesplus (recently hacked) and axelmusic are the two usual candidates.

Netto-kun

Woho, VGP shipped my order. Hopefully I'll get it next week. :D

As already mentioned, you can try VideoGamesPlus or Planet Axel.

This is the n-th time an OT convinces me to buy a game, I was undecided at first seeing how long it took me to beat the first one and at how long is my backlog list, especially for DS and PSP. However I did love the first one and despite the difficulty I'm still wanting more! Some of the things I read here did the rest.

I hope it matches the first one not only as gameplay but as story and characters too!

Koroviev

This is the n-th time an OT convinces me to buy a game, I was undecided at first seeing how long it took me to beat the first one and at how long is my backlog list, especially for DS and PSP. However I did love the first one and despite the difficulty I'm still wanting more! Some of the things I read here did the rest.

I hope it matches the first one not only as gameplay but as story and characters too!

I should just stop visiting this site. It's all hype threads and less money in the end.

I love hype threads.

Teknoman

Kenji Ito OST...I cant let this one escape. I just know this soundtrack is going to be great...should be a match for SMT's style as well.

I got it through Amazon with release day delivery, so I wonder if they are going to ship it tomorrow. It sucks that I have classes on Tuesday, but at least the game will be waiting for me when I get home. :D

Eusis

I got it through Amazon with release day delivery, so I wonder if they are going to ship it tomorrow. It sucks that I have classes on Tuesday, but at least the game will be waiting for me when I get home. :D
They'll probably ship it Monday, they always do that for my RDD games.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm Volcynika and I approve of this thread.

:D

My main complaint with the first one was that it seemed much too easy to pick the ending you want and get destroyed by the big jump in difficulty if it was your first time through. I had been doing fine up until the end and got demolished until I grinded a ton. Is this changed in the new one or the same? I have it ordered from Amazon already but I was just curious.

According to this import review there's a difficulty jump in the middle of the story, instead of at the endgame boss rush like I'd expect. So I guess keep working up your demons during the first few days, even if there's no challenge yet.

Kenji Ito OST...I cant let this one escape. I just know this soundtrack is going to be great...should be a match for SMT's style as well.

Mmmyeah, I just listened to it on youtube. It really put me in the mood for the game!

Natiko

Banned
According to this import review there's a difficulty jump in the middle of the story, instead of at the endgame boss rush like I'd expect. So I guess keep working up your demons during the first few days, even if there's no challenge yet.

Okay thanks for the info. At least that's just in the middle and will be encountered no matter what. It was so frustrating finding out in hindsight I should have just gone with Yuzu's ending and then gone for the one I actually wanted the second time around.

I loved the gameplay of the first. The story had a decent premise, but there was always way, way too much dialogue.

I'm interested in the sequel but I don't own a DS anymore, and going from Overclocked to this would be annoying even without the 3DS' crappy DS emulation.

frostbyte

What did Overclocked add to the first, other than the seventh day?

Also, is Overclocked still available in retail stores or is it like the usual Atlus games?

Kazerei

Banned
What did Overclocked add to the first, other than the seventh day?

Also, is Overclocked still available in retail stores or is it like the usual Atlus games?

Overclocked is a huge improvement over the original. The game's been reprinted at least once, so it's not that rare. I still see it at some EB/GS stores in my area.

- 8th day
- Demon Compendium
- New skills and demons
- Achievements (which are used to unlock new game plus bonuses)
- Three save slots
- Voice acting
- Better graphics
- Easy mode

Golbez

I really do like the character designs of this series... from the neck up.

...but more importantly I liked the rest of the first game! Mass Effect 3 can wait, I can't wait to play this.

Top Bottom