• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Hylian7

I need to get this eventually, but I just bought Strange Journey and am almost done with Devil Survivor Overclocked.

One question, this looks like it still takes place in Tokyo. Are we just too assume it's a completely alternate universe from Devil Survivor 1 or what?

I need to get this eventually, but I just bought Strange Journey and am almost done with Devil Survivor Overclocked.

One question, this looks like it still takes place in Tokyo. Are we just too assume it's a completely alternate universe from Devil Survivor 1 or what?
As far as I know, yes.

Torraz

Hooray, my planetaxel copy reached me today in the netherlands, even before many US gamers. Very fast delivery, faster than I'm used to. Now just to get a bit of uni work done and some shopping and picking up some relatives by car and I can play tonight.

Torraz

I kind of just want to wait until the Overclocked version of this game comes out.

I went for the DS version since I'm not sure whether/when I could ever play the DS region due to region locking on the DS and the last atlus ds games (etrian odyssey 2+3, strange journey, devil survivor 1) not having made it to the EU sadly...

Koroviev

SJ is great, just keep in mind that there is no radar for hidden doors. Very symmetrical dungeons usually harbor a hidden door or two. Otherwise, the game is a jerk and Game Faqs is your best friend :(

Mitama

Hooray, my planetaxel copy reached me today in the netherlands, even before many US gamers. Very fast delivery, faster than I'm used to. Now just to get a bit of uni work done and some shopping and picking up some relatives by car and I can play tonight.
Nice! Did you get an email when they shipped it? I only got one when it was being processed but no follow-up since then.

Torraz

Nice! Did you get an email when they shipped it? I only got one when it was being processed but no follow-up since then.

No, in fact I did not. However, when I logged into my account and looked at the order I saw that it had been dispatched the day I got the "your stuff is being packed and will be sent in 0-6 hours" e-mail. That e-mail was the last communication I had from planetaxel with regard to this particular order.

So you should probably log into your account and check your order details.

Mitama

No, in fact I did not. However, when I logged into my account and looked at the order I saw that it had been dispatched the day I got the "your stuff is being packed and will be sent in 0-6 hours" e-mail. That e-mail was the last communication I had from planetaxel with regard to this particular order.

So you should probably log into your account and check your order details.

Yup indeed, didn't bother logging in before because I couldn't remember my random password :p. How do you like it so far?

Torraz

Yup indeed, didn't bother logging in before because I couldn't remember my random password :p. How do you like it so far?

Hah, I'm having that "random password" problem with another site - and I apparently didn't set a security question so I'm going to have to go through their support ;)...

I sadly haven't been able to play yet due to firstly some other commitments (which are nearly done) and my DS lite which is still charging.

I hope to get an hour in before going to sleep today.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ugh, great... GAF has misogyny OT's now? I hope you're all ashamed of yourselves.

Kazerei

Banned
It's okay 'cause half of us here are girls anyway. Besides, I don't see what's misogynistic about making fun of ridiculous boobs.

MechaX

Ugh, great... GAF has misogyny OT's now? I hope you're all ashamed of yourselves.

To be fair, when even the very first post has a partial character lineup, and 5 out of 6 of the female characters have ridiculously-sized breasts on their almost anorexic bodies, I think the only logical reaction to this is "lol wut."

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Since the first Overclocked didn't do so hot, seemingly, I'm not crossing my fingers. More likely we'll just see Devil Survivor 3 on the 3DS.

I would have bought that version if it had been released in PAL territories. It's a genuine shame when 'niche' titles get a limited release on region locked consoles.

I would have bought that version if it had been released in PAL territories. It's a genuine shame when 'niche' titles get a limited release on region locked consoles.
PALGAF has my sympathy. :( Surely there will be a way to get around region locking eventually.

In other news, Amazon shipped my copy. :D

Aeana

I purposefully kept myself from learning anything about the game past the initial JP magazine reveal. I'm happy with some of the changes, and also at the quality of the music, which was my major gripe with the first game.

Io's design has me convinced that the character designer is not aware that gravity is a thing, though.

Koroviev

I purposefully kept myself from learning anything about the game past the initial JP magazine reveal. I'm happy with some of the changes, and also at the quality of the music, which was my major gripe with the first game.

Io's design has me convinced that the character designer is not aware that gravity is a thing, though.

Same. Who could possibly think that 5-second wailing guitar loops are suited for long SRPG battles?

elohel

whats the main draw of the SMT games? is it the battle systems? the story? the graphics? or all of it and what resonates so well with the japanese?

really curious about the old SMT games they look really cool but I know nothing about them in a general sense or achievement sense(impact on gaming)

Esura

Banned
whats the main draw of the SMT games? is it the battle systems? the story? the graphics? or all of it and what resonates so well with the japanese?

really curious about the old SMT games they look really cool but I know nothing about them in a general sense or achievement sense(impact on gaming)

Story wise? SMT games are generally darker than your average RPG and demons and other stuff from various mythologies and religions are prominent in the series. Also, most SMT games are non linear and allows you to choose whether you want to side with demons/Lucifer/chaos or angels/holier-than-thou mofos/God/law. Or you could choose a path of neutrality. No matter which side you choose, most SMT games don't end all sunshine and rainbows either. Sometimes the Law side can be darker than the Chaos side (imo at least).

Gameplay wise? They are generally challenging and you can recruit demons in your party. It was Pokemon before Pokemon. Need your wits about you if you plan on tackling SMT games like SMTII or Nocturne.

Its really all that combined with excelent artwork from Kazuma Kaneko that makes the SMT series so loved. I love this series but as of late I found myself becoming more of a Persona and Devil Suvivor fan than of the main SMT games. Those are spin off series to the main series of Shin Megami Tensei and not even called that in Japan, only here in the US for some reason. Persona and Devil Survivor both have much of the elements from the main SMT games but with some key differences in aesthetics, soundtrack, and gameplay to a certain extent.

Will buy this game. Glad to hear the game isn't going to go out of its way to make sure physical attackers suck.

I also recently bought overclocked. Not sure if I should finish overclocked (I played DS1 already) before starting on DS2.

Probably gonna start on DS2.

elohel

Story wise? SMT games are generally darker than your average RPG and demons and other stuff from various mythologies and religions are prominent in the series. Also, most SMT games are non linear and allows you to choose whether you want to side with demons/Lucifer/chaos or angels/holier-than-thou mofos/God/law. Or you could choose a path of neutrality. No matter which side you choose, most SMT games don't end all sunshine and rainbows either. Sometimes the Law side can be darker than the Chaos side (imo at least).

Gameplay wise? They are generally challenging and you can recruit demons in your party. It was Pokemon before Pokemon. Need your wits about you if you plan on tackling SMT games like SMTII or Nocturne.

Its really all that combined with excelent artwork from Kazuma Kaneko that makes the SMT series so loved. I love this series but as of late I found myself becoming more of a Persona and Devil Suvivor fan than of the main SMT games. Those are spin off series to the main series of Shin Megami Tensei and not even called that in Japan, only here in the US for some reason. Persona and Devil Survivor both have much of the elements from the main SMT games but with some key differences in aesthetics, soundtrack, and gameplay to a certain extent.

excellent rundown

so this was essentially a different, more difficult and visually more appealing series ? given that people liked the artist who does the character designs a lot

atomsk

Party Pooper
normally I get a text from gamestop the night before, but nothing today. hopefully they actually have it in tomorrow.

checked gamefaqs and the anti-piracy protection sounds hilarious

reflects Phys and Nulls everything else

Esura

Banned
excellent rundown

so this was essentially a different, more difficult and visually more appealing series ? given that people liked the artist who does the character designs a lot

Well...Kaneko's art wasn't that great at first but you can see the difference from his earlier work on SMT to his work on the SMT remakes, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and the Persona series before 3. I love his work now.

But yeah, I guess you could say that in simple terms. :)

Btw, the person who did the artwork for Devil Survivor 2 isn't Kaneko...actually, I have no clue who it is. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
i like that you MUST use tactics and strategy to win battles. Most RPGs, you just mash X or even hold it to auto attack to get the fights over with. In SMT games, thinking about the fights actually lets you end the fight faster.

Hitting an enemy's elemental weakness is very satisfying, and mixing and matching and customizing your team to include awesome attacks and awesome defense and elemental effects is also rewarding.

The story...is different, I'll give it that.

Koroviev

i like that you MUST use tactics and strategy to win battles. Most RPGs, you just mash X or even hold it to auto attack to get the fights over with. In SMT games, thinking about the fights actually lets you end the fight faster.

Hitting an enemy's elemental weakness is very satisfying, and mixing and matching and customizing your team to include awesome attacks and awesome defense and elemental effects is also rewarding.

The story...is different, I'll give it that.

You should check out Strange Journey. Have to use your brain during those boss battles :)

Also boasts co-op attacks, where you and the demons who are aligned with you (or another demon) attack when an enemy's weakness is struck. A bit like a nerfed all-out attack from the Persona games, but I like it.

Top Bottom