• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Some fusing tips to consider when you're fusing new demons to upgrade your teams:

- Don't be afraid to swap stuff around for the specific purpose of a single battle if you think it benefits you. For example, if the enemies in a certain battle don't benefit your current spell set ups in the teams, just a quick mix and match for the leaders and the cracked skills you have can make a world of a difference.

I always follow this last tip.

Thanks for the fusing tips though. After getting more macca I think I bounced back up though.

Ultratech

Gah, that Ghost Q fight on Day 3 is pissing me off.

The first time I went at it, I managed to kill everything off but Ghost Q, but then he fled. (With my setup, it was impossible to catch up to him, since even with Demon Speed, I was still behind.)

2nd time, I rushed him, and almost killed him, but lacked a little power and ended up getting ganged up on.

I think I got the battle figured out now though...
Looking it up, apparently he flees if you kill all the other enemies. Makes sense since that's what he did the first time. I CAN kill him, since he honestly doesn't hit that hard and just wastes turns with Poison.

I do like the idea behind the fight though.

duckroll

Goddamn. The combination of Aggravate, Assassinate, and +Stone in these demon teams on Day 4 = #%*&(#^%&(*#%$. Lol.

Goddamn. The combination of Aggravate, Assassinate, and +Stone in these demon teams on Day 4 = #%*&(#^%&(*#%$. Lol.

Oddly enough I've found that enemy status effects occur far less frequently in this game than in DS1.

But Aggravate + Assassinate fucked up my MC at least once. Thank god for Recarm.

scy

Spending more time on this can create very, very overpowered teams. Devil Survivor's strategy is very much favored towards planning before battles. If you plan really, really well, then the outcome should be pre-determined before the battle ever starts.

Also leads to multiple hours of fusing instead of "playing."

Only put in about 5 hours so far but I'm pretty sure 3 hours of it was fusing crap. In hindsight, I should've waited for the Compendium :|

The first time I went at it, I managed to kill everything off but Ghost Q, but then he fled. (With my setup, it was impossible to catch up to him, since even with Demon Speed, I was still behind.)

2nd time, I rushed him, and almost killed him, but lacked a little power and ended up getting ganged up on.

Looking it up, apparently he flees if you kill all the other enemies. Makes sense since that's what he did the first time. I CAN kill him, since he honestly doesn't hit that hard and just wastes turns with Poison.

This is where I am now. I refuse to continue the story until I find a way to beat him.

Halfway through day 4, and the game just got a lot more interesting.
I was expecting to be travelling to a new city every day, but having an "airship" is even better!

Koroviev

Only put in about 5 hours so far but I'm pretty sure 3 hours of it was fusing crap. In hindsight, I should've waited for the Compendium :|

I haven't used the compendium yet. The demons are really expensive vs. buying and fusing.

This is where I am now. I refuse to continue the story until I find a way to beat him.

I was going to do that, but then I decided I was too lazy. Isn't he just another demon you can create?

duckroll

But fusing is playing. I don't see it as any different from solving a puzzle in Layton honestly. Say you want to build a certain demon with certain stat boosts, specific skills, while removing any weaknesses the demon has. You have a clear goal, and the Fusion search engine lists all valid fusion combinations for that demon. The trick would just be working backwards to create the sequence of fusions you need to end up with the perfect result you want.

Devil Survivor provides all the tools in the game itself, so there's no need to use FAQs or anything. You are playing the game using the information the game provides in the game itself to create an outcome which would be beneficial in your game. How is that not gameplay?

Entwain

Kill off everything except one of the dragontoobies (i forget the name, hydra in a jar) and then go at him with everything you've got, hes a good summon that lasted me a LONG time, till i fused him for another unique.

scy

I haven't used the compendium yet. The demons are really expensive vs. buying and fusing.

True. I used it once when I had a fusion chain in mind that needed two of my currently in-use demons for optimal results (only Day 3 so tri-Dance with 3x Anti's is a good goal!) and didn't want to have to re-do the demons used up. Wiped out my ~10k bank just getting them back :|

More wanted the Compendium around to save some of the combinations I made up to then. Some of the between steps would've been useful for having on-hand.

But fusing is playing. I don't see it as any different from solving a puzzle in Layton honestly. Say you want to build a certain demon with certain stat boosts, specific skills, while removing any weaknesses the demon has. You have a clear goal, and the Fusion search engine lists all valid fusion combinations for that demon. The trick would just be working backwards to create the sequence of fusions you need to end up with the perfect result you want.

Devil Survivor provides all the tools in the game itself, so there's no need to use FAQs or anything. You are playing the game using the information the game provides in the game itself to create an outcome which would be beneficial in your game. How is that not gameplay?

Should I have said progressing instead? Just meant it's time spent tinkering with the fusion system instead of moving through the game. Nothing about that being bad at all. In fact, I love fusing; like I said, over half my playtime is spent on that. It's what I enjoy the most out of the system, really.

I just find it easy to spend too much time on it and end up not making story progress because, damn it, I will make a brand new set of 8 demons for my group for no real reason besides "oooh, new demons I can make!"

duckroll

There's a game outside of fusing?!

I think there are some stuff called "story" and "battles" you are forced to do to unlock more fusing options. Luckily there's not a lot of it though, so you can quickly get back to creating that perfect King Frost or Thor. :D

Mitama

Ugh.. second playthrough and back at the final boss. This has to be the worst final boss of any game I've ever played. More than 90% of the fight is just pure luck based which is so sad for an SMT game. :(

I think there are some stuff called "story" and "battles" you are forced to do to unlock more fusing options. Luckily there's not a lot of it though, so you can quickly get back to creating that perfect King Frost or Thor. :D

Atlus should release a game dedicated to fusing with an infinite supply of macca and hundreds of thousands of potential demon/skill combinations.

Ugh.. second playthrough and back at the final boss. This has to be the worst final boss of any game I've ever played. More than 90% of the fight is just pure luck based which is so sad for an SMT game. :(

Sounds bad.... :(

DTJAAAAM

Reached Day 7, but I've hit a major obstacle for my Strength-based character.
Went with Daichi's path, and Yamato just obliterates me when he starts getting ridiculous amounts of turns!
I guess I'll be doing a lot of grinding and fusing to find a way to get past it.

Mitama

Atlus should release a game dedicated to fusing with an infinite supply of macca and hundreds of thousands of potential demon/skill combinations.

Sounds bad.... :(

Oh, but it is. Especially when you know that the RNG is broken. Try suspending the game, reloading it and then repeating the exact same action as before, or a small variation. When it's the enemy's turn he'll keep repeating the exact same pattern, every single time, right down to the exact damage that's being dealt. This means that if you get an unlucky crit on you, it'll keep happening unless you managed to save at least 1-2 turns before that particular turn so you can do something else than before and shift the RNG around a bit.

To the people who think the suspend feature is cheating: try doing the final boss fight without suspend, seriously. It's maddening.

Mitama

Went with Daichi's path, and Yamato just obliterates me when he starts getting ridiculous amounts of turns!
I guess I'll be doing a lot of grinding and fusing to find a way to get past it.

This should be very doable for a STR-based character, seeing how Yamato doesn't repel phys. What's your build? Is it entirely focused on STR or do you also have some AGI? If so, you could try with multi-strike, it does pretty mean damage when your AGI is decent (20+). Also, don't try to engage him in close combat, use a demon of the Snake race so you can attack from a distance and kill him in 1-2 turns. Snake + Kishin = two rounds where he can't even hit you.

Nice Arahabaki avatar btw. :D

PK Gaming

Wow, second playthrough already? Sorry to hear that you're getting your shit tossed bro, though did you use the compemedium to get your old kickass demons? Also if you got rid of the EXP limit you can easily grind to sky high levels. You're so right about that RNG though, its completely set and you can't do shit all about it. Luckily, its usually rare that rng screws me to the point of losing that I can't mitigate it by reloading my save.

To the people who think the suspend feature is cheating: try doing the final boss fight without suspend, seriously. It's maddening.

Hahaha I think its outright impossible without extreme luck. My heart goes out to you guys who try though.

At one point during the final boss
There are enemies who can charm you. The ones that come to mind immediately his nega Hinako who has sexy gaze... she gazed my MC who then proceeded to Holy Dance his entire group to death rofl. Other garbage like getting petrified is annoying too

Coxswain

Basically: There's no lose condition, and nothing to learn or real problems to overcome.

And I mean, you can think of it as a puzzle, but it's always going to be a really simple one: Find what you want the end result to be -> Pick a fusion combination that will give you the demon you want with the skills you want -> If that's not available, pick one of the composite demons as your new 'end result' -> Find a fusion combination that will give you that demon with the skills you want -> Rinse, repeat.
It's more of a Tower of Hanoi puzzle with a varying number of discs per pile than Layton puzzles where you need to think about each one differently.

Having said that, as much as I hate SMT demon fusion, Devil Survivor 2 is unquestionably the least painful incarnation of it.

Mitama

Wow, second playthrough already? Sorry to hear that you're getting your shit tossed bro, though did you use the compemedium to get your old kickass demons? Also if you got rid of the EXP limit you can easily grind to sky high levels. You're so right about that RNG though, its completely set and you can't do shit all about it. Luckily, its usually rare that rng screws me to the point of losing that I can't mitigate it by reloading my save.

Hahaha I think its outright impossible without extreme luck. My heart goes out to you guys who try though.

There are enemies who can charm you. The ones that come to mind immediately his nega Hinako who has sexy gaze... she gazed my MC who then proceeded to Holy Dance his entire group to death rofl. Other garbage like getting petrified is annoying too

Yeah, I finally got it after a lot of reloading :<. I transferred 4 demons yup, but I didn't fuse anything new for this fight since I wanted to challenge myself. I'm also on a "noone died in battle" and "no free battles" run, so I couldn't really grind haha.

I just hate how there's only null phys, repel phys and anti-phys to go around. It's very annoying for his final phase where he can just multi-strike or deathbound an entire team to oblivion with ease. Even with null phys or anti-phys, he still has Piercing Hit. I absolutely love the scene when you enter that stage though. Fumi is all like "we made it this far, this shouldn't be that tough" and then immediately afterwards Polaris B pummels someone to the brink of death haha, that's so damn awesome (and annoying lol)! :D

I'm definitely gonna try a new team for the third time around, maybe it'll be more doable that way since there has to be at least some way to make this fight somewhat easier.

Can't you just give the MC that nifty skill that prevents status conditions? And carry demons that are either resistant or immune to ailments.

Haven't gotten to that point yet, but could the Evil Bind racial skill help? Or is it like using a band-aid to stop a leak?

PK Gaming

Yeah, I finally got it after a lot of reloading :<. I transferred 4 demons yup, but I didn't fuse anything new for this fight since I wanted to challenge myself. I'm also on a "noone died in battle" and "no free battles" run, so I couldn't really grind haha.

I just hate how there's only null phys, repel phys and anti-phys to go around. It's very annoying for his final phase where he can just multi-strike or deathbound an entire team to oblivion with ease. Even with null phys or anti-phys, he still has Piercing Hit. I absolutely love the scene when you enter that stage though. Fumi is all like "we made it this far, this shouldn't be that tough" and then immediately afterwards Polaris B pummels someone to the brink of death haha, that's so damn awesome (and annoying lol)! :D

I'm definitely gonna try a new team for the third time around, maybe it'll be more doable that way since there has to be at least some way to make this fight somewhat easier.

Ah that makes sense. I thought it was odd that someone like you had trouble with the final boss, since you beat it before but i can imagine it being a HUGE bitch on a no death run.

Can't you just give the MC that nifty skill that prevents status conditions? And carry demons that are either resistant or immune to ailments.

Well yeah, my MC had anti-most so he had a natural resistance towards curse skills, but there's still a chance for you to get affected by those lame status effects. Outside of that, running null curse is dumb idea, so you're kind of stuck when dealing with status effects.(Fortunately most of my demons had it.) Thats why gratuitous saving is super useful when planning ahead.

DTJAAAAM

This should be very doable for a STR-based character, seeing how Yamato doesn't repel phys. What's your build? Is it entirely focused on STR or do you also have some AGI? If so, you could try with multi-strike, it does pretty mean damage when your AGI is decent (20+). Also, don't try to engage him in close combat, use a demon of the Snake race so you can attack from a distance and kill him in 1-2 turns. Snake + Kishin = two rounds where he can't even hit you.

Nice Arahabaki avatar btw. :D

Actually, he *DOES* repel physical, so my usual Pierce/Deathbound combo is useless. I don't have (not sure if I can even get it yet) the nifty Strength-based Almighty attack either, so I think I'm down to relying on my other three characters (all magic characters) to defeat him since I went 40 STR, 9 AGI, ~14 VIT.

Thanks, avatar's from a game called Cratermaze, which was a Doraemon game in Japan. It was nice to see a familiar face during the fusion screen, though in a different color!

Haven't gotten to that point yet, but could the Evil Bind racial skill help? Or is it like using a band-aid to stop a leak?

Definitely the latter, he seems to get another turn after every 2-3 characters and can attack from I believe 4 squares away.

Mitama

Actually, he *DOES* repel physical, so my usual Pierce/Deathbound combo is useless. I don't have (not sure if I can even get it yet) the nifty Strength-based Almighty attack either, so I think I'm down to relying on my other three characters (all magic characters) to defeat him since I went 40 STR, 9 AGI, ~14 VIT.

Definitely the latter, he seems to get another turn after every 2-3 characters and can attack from I believe 4 squares away.

Really? I'm sorry, I defeated him a couple hours ago on a different route and he didn't have repel there. Yeah, you won't get that attack for a long, long time. Hmm.. for everything that had Phys Repel, I just used my magic nukes. What about Fumi + Megido/Megidolaon/Holy Dance + Drain and a Snake demon? Together with Otome she'd make a great duo and you could just nuke him from a safe distance.

Oh btw, here's the list of rewards and titles that you can get, just typed them out:

Rewards
----------
Carry over 1 demon: 20P
Carry over 4 demons: 80P
Carry over 8 demons: 200P
Carry over all demons: 400P
Carry over skills: 10P
Carry over Macca: 110P
Carry over auction: 40P
Remove EXP limit: 60P
10% off Compendium: 40P
30% off Compendium: 120P
50% off Compendium: 200P
Remove fusion LV limit: 60P
New Tuesday enemy (Nebiros): 30P
Unlock Mitama fusion: 30P

Titles
------
Survivor: Finished the game once (70P)
Ronaldo's Confidant: Raised Ronaldo's Fate to Stage 5 (10P)
... (repeated for all characters)
?: Find all demons that don't require special fusions (200P)
?: Achieve 100% completion of the Compendium (400P)
?: Learn all skills that can be cracked (150P)
?: Change the world with Daichi (60P)
Meritorious: Implemented a merit system with Yamato (60P)
?: Change the world with Ronaldo (60P)
Kingmaker: Created a new world with Al Saiduq (60P)
?: Search for a different path with Daichi (60P)
Focused: Finished the game with no free battles (200P)
Unkillable: Finished the game without any deaths in battle (200P)
?: Befriend everyone besides Anguished One and search for a new path (300P)
Soul Preserver: Defeated the Sage of Time (30P)
?: Defeat a noble necromancer (60P)
?: Defeat the original wife (90P)
?: Defeat the infernal traitor (120P)
?: Defeat the lord of the flies (150P)
?: Defeat a deceased girl (200P)

Maxing everyone's fate besides AO seems like the best option for the first time through the game. Pretty crazy, that's 120P from all characters at fate LV5 and another 360P for that particular path+ending.

Zekes!

Oh, but it is. Especially when you know that the RNG is broken. Try suspending the game, reloading it and then repeating the exact same action as before, or a small variation. When it's the enemy's turn he'll keep repeating the exact same pattern, every single time, right down to the exact damage that's being dealt. This means that if you get an unlucky crit on you, it'll keep happening unless you managed to save at least 1-2 turns before that particular turn so you can do something else than before and shift the RNG around a bit.

Yeah I noticed this in the first game.

Anyways, I haven't played this game for a while, since I lost that battle on day 3 where you have to save
Jungo
because he got himself killed before I even had a chance to get anywhere near him.

Mitama

Yeah I noticed this in the first game.

Anyways, I haven't played this game for a while, since I lost that battle on day 3 where you have to save
Jungo
because he got himself killed before I even had a chance to get anywhere near him.

Yeah, I've had that happen on my second playthrough..
Getting a Genma is an easy fix (instant teleportation to where he's at).

DTJAAAAM

Damn. The way you guys talk about the final boss makes the DS1 final boss(es) sound fair by comparison.

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm not at the final boss, so reading these other descriptions is making me antsy to see what's coming ahead.

I keep losing at the damn part (Day 5 I think.) where you need to
collect the essence of a demon before other demons do.
It is seemingly impossible. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck devil's speed.

duckroll

Basically: There's no lose condition, and nothing to learn or real problems to overcome.

And I mean, you can think of it as a puzzle, but it's always going to be a really simple one: Find what you want the end result to be -> Pick a fusion combination that will give you the demon you want with the skills you want -> If that's not available, pick one of the composite demons as your new 'end result' -> Find a fusion combination that will give you that demon with the skills you want -> Rinse, repeat.
It's more of a Tower of Hanoi puzzle with a varying number of discs per pile than Layton puzzles where you need to think about each one differently.

Having said that, as much as I hate SMT demon fusion, Devil Survivor 2 is unquestionably the least painful incarnation of it.

I totally disagree though. There is no lose condition for a lot of logic puzzles either. You either get it right, or it doesn't register. What is being learned or the challenge that has to be overcome is figuring out the solution in the fastest manner possible so you can input it. A sliding block puzzle has no lose condition either. You can move blocks as much as you want until you find the solution.

The solution to optimal or preferred fusion solutions is definitely not as simple as you make it sound. Often there can be 10 or more fusion pairs for a given demon, and only one has a possible root that you can trace to inherit a given skill into that demon. It becomes even more challenging when you want to consider specific stat boosts and planning the inheritance of more than one skill.

Not every demon is the same, and I find it extremely fun to track skill/stat distribution and memorize certain tricks with regards to fusion routes so as I play more, I am able to get better results even faster than before. This in itself proves that there is something to learn and challenges to overcome, since a player who is more familiar with the system will be able to achieve better results in a shorter period of time.

Just because you don't enjoy something does not mean that it is not a valid form of gameplay.

Mitama

I keep losing at the damn part (Day 5 I think.) where you need to
collect the essence of a demon before other demons do.
It is seemingly impossible. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck devil's speed.

I always get like 2 tops and then just camp the exits. I'm guessing you are resetting each time they get one? Wait for the next scene and you'll figure out what to do.

I always get like 2 tops and then just camp the exits. I'm guessing you are resetting each time they get one? Wait for the next scene and you'll figure out what to do.

No I'm not resetting. I can't
make it to the exits on time to stop the fucking beetle monsters from escaping.

Mitama

No I'm not resetting. I can't
make it to the exits on time to stop the fucking beetle monsters from escaping.

Haha :D.
You know where the exits are, right? Just remember their location and then just wait there, they'll get the essence and will then try to escape through the exits that you are already blocking. This is the level with the Mothman and Badb Catha, right?

Sera O

Banned
I'm looking forward to starting this up later this week. So far I've avoided reading about it as I'm spoiler shy, but I have one question - escort missions. Are these still a thing? I managed okay through DS1, but I'd like to know if I should prepare myself for my future frustration :/ I'm totally okay with the game being hard as balls, but the escorting of apparently suicidal NPCs requires a bit of mental prep on my part. Or that I play it in a soundproof room away from young children/those with weak hearts.

I liked most everything else about the first one, besides the lack of compendium though.

Mitama

Oooh yeah! Played until day 3 so I unlocked the demon compendium, now it's time to go crazy on mitamas!

I'm looking forward to starting this up later this week. So far I've avoided reading about it as I'm spoiler shy, but I have one question - escort missions. Are these still a thing? I managed okay through DS1, but I'd like to know if I should prepare myself for my future frustration :/ I'm totally okay with the game being hard as balls, but the escorting of apparently suicidal NPCs requires a bit of mental prep on my part. Or that I play it in a soundproof room away from young children/those with weak hearts.

I liked most everything else about the first one, besides the lack of compendium though.

Escort missions are still in, but the AI is pretty decent. I've only had someone die in them once or twice throughout the entire game.

g.r.e.

Just finished the
Al Saidaq
route with a lv 70 magic MC.
Well, I can say I enjoyed the ride, though I pretty much stomped on the last boss, with demons who absorbed/nullified phys attacks and some elementals ones.
Oh, and New Game+ seems like lots of fun. :)

Haha :D.
You know where the exits are, right? Just remember their location and then just wait there, they'll get the essence and will then try to escape through the exits that you are already blocking. This is the level with the Mothman and Badb Catha, right?

Finally beat it and had so much macca that I was able to buy a lot of Platinum demons. Fused some and somehow got a ton of Evil Wave/Chaos wave demons... maybe even too much.

I also finally cracked Holy Dance. Is it as broken as it was in DS1?

DTJAAAAM

Finally beat it and had so much macca that I was able to buy a lot of Platinum demons. Fused some and somehow got a ton of Evil Wave/Chaos wave demons... maybe even too much.

Sure seems like it. It's still the main spell I give to my top MAG user.

Sure seems like it. It's still the main spell I give to my top MAG user.

Speaking of which, what stat builds are you guys using?

I forget what level I am, but my magic focused MC has:

(Currently forget level)
Min Strength
30 Magic
12 Vitality
15 Agility

I have a ton of magic, and right now I outspeed mostly everything. I might have too much vitality (not fond of number crunching), but I think it lets me survive the odd physical hit and then I can heal off all the damage with nearly OHKO drains, or medias.

PK Gaming

Hell fucking yes. Give to a strong magic attacker and watch them go. Highly useful for the
Septentrione fights

Hell fucking yes. Give to a strong magic attacker and watch them go. Highly useful for the
Septentrione fights

Good to hear. Drain + Holy Dance + Filler was pretty much my MC skillset in DS1.

Damn... I remember in DS1 you could get drain of EVERYTHING. So brooooke.

Golbez

I really didn't remember Drain even when I cracked it this time around, but as soon as I used it everything from DS1 came back to me.

Top Bottom