• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

It seems like all the first few party members have shitty stat growth. Though I'm a fan of specialization rather than jack-of-all trade builds.

Though maybe it just seems like they are all balanced because their levels are too low (level 13).

edit: Motherfucking christ.... FUCK POISON. FUCK ITTTTT.

PK Gaming

Yeah, Poison is a now a status effect that doesn't fuck around. It does consist damage, and it takes a LONG time for it to go away on its own. Still not a good enough reason to use Amirita hah

Ken

Reading this thread makes the game sound really complicated. I didn't put too much time into DS1, so should I be playing with a guide or something on how to build my characters/teams?

jaxword

Reading this thread makes the game sound really complicated. I didn't put too much time into DS1, so should I be playing with a guide or something on how to build my characters/teams?

So far I've found value in making characters specialized. One for strength, one for magic, one for healing/distance moving. I haven't had a value for jack-of-all-trades yet. Also swapping elements seems to be a good strat since they mix and match enemy weaknesses. Also, having at least one monster with healing on your team seems to be a good idea.

Koroviev

Common sense is really all you need. The game informs you of enemy weaknesses, so always try to exploit those. There is power in numbers, so don't send a weak or otherwise compromised team to take on a powerful demon. When in doubt, fuse, don't grind, your demons. Make sure you grant your leaders new skills as they become available. As someone else said, it's good to specialize. I like to strike first, so my teams always emphasize strong agility stats, in addition to a variety of magic and strength. Also, be mindful of the relationship between your actions and the turn order, especially during "pursuit" missions.

PK Gaming

Urgh i'm fighting the final Septentrione, and its kicking my ass left and right.

The humans can't hurt it, only demons can... and you can't summon any more demons after the fight starts...

I'm going to enjoy breaking you.

EDIT: And about 30 or so many minutes later i'm back with a fresh under my belt. There's an easy way to beat it, you just need to
play extremely defensive... run a bunch of HP boosting items and give all of your characters healing skills. This is a 2 parter, so don't falter towards the end (it splits into 4 seperate forms.

davimon

So on Day 2 (or 3?) and
Jungo
died. Is there a way to save him? The game implied that was the case. :(

You need to
get the ram for Fumi so she can find the location faster. You should be able to get Jungo's battle event faster and be able to save him.

Mitama

Credits rolling. Sheesh, the final battle was hard as hell! Went in at LV64 so didn't exactly have a plethora of awesome demons to kick some ass. Only had 1 healer with Samarecarm with me, so it was just crazy. Didn't help that some demons close to my level just kept dying every single battle (hint: don't get Alilat). Really digging the title system to unlock new stuff instead of being able to get everything in one playthrough.

I thoroughly enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 even though it's basically more of the same. I still like Devil Survivor's story much better but this wasn't bad. I also wish they had done something new instead of the whole "the world is gonna end in X days" and even the death clocks are in here (death clips are pretty much the same).

Is Devil Survivor: Overclocked ever coming to Europe by the way? 3DS redesign + DSO = insta-buy for me.

PK Gaming

Credits rolling. Sheesh, the final battle was hard as hell! Went in at LV64 so didn't exactly have a plethora of awesome demons to kick some ass. Only had 1 healer with Samarecarm with me, so it was just crazy. Didn't help that some demons close to my level just kept dying every single battle (hint: don't get Alilat). Really digging the title system to unlock new stuff instead of being able to get everything in one playthrough.

I thoroughly enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 even though it's basically more of the same. I still like Devil Survivor's story much better but this wasn't bad. I also wish they had done something new instead of the whole "the world is gonna end in X days" and even the death clocks are in here (death clips are pretty much the same).

Is Devil Survivor: Overclocked ever coming to Europe by the way? 3DS redesign + DSO = insta-buy for me.

Nice, I also got a benchmark so thank you for posting this. Oof you live in Europe? Damn, well bad news but it doesn't look its ever going to be brought over... its a damn shame the 3DS is region locked too. You're really missing out, since DSO is the by far my favorite MegamiTen game, and it seems you prefer DS1 over DS2.

Golbez

Damn. No idea how to get that item.
I just got through this part. Right after you rescue Fumi, it'll be one of the top scenes available as an option to you, and the description has something to do with your search. I suppose you could save and see what pops up for different scenes. It only takes the one event to find it.

duckroll

The big bosses for the game are pretty solid. I made it to the Day 3 boss, looking forward to tackling it later. I like how the boss fights so far all feel really unique and different from the normal battles. :D

Made it through the rest of the first day yesterday with little trouble, except for the first boss one-shot one of my demons while it was invincible.
Really loving the dialogue in this game. My hat off to the localization team.
Some of the dialogue choices the MC have are really hilarious. RAINBOWS.

I'm looking forward to the second day of adventure.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think I'm going to start Overclocked today before I play DS2, should I play with a walkthrough or not?

Flo

Oops
Wakui Keita died and I saved at timestamp 15.30, so I guess there is no way to go back and save him? Now I can't find his phone on the floor to end the madness
:( I didn't realize I could actually let people die by hanging around in town too much..

Curufinwe

I think I'm going to start Overclocked today before I play DS2, should I play with a walkthrough or not?

Following this guide will get you to the end of Day 6 with every ending available, although it is for the original DS game not Overclocked.

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10229747969.html

On my 2nd playthru I did that, hard saved, then went thru the rest of the endings starting from there, only using Suspend to save until I did the Amane ending last.

Trojita

Following this guide will get you to the end of Day 6 with every ending available, although it is for the original DS game not Overclocked.

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10229747969.html

On my 2nd playthru I did that, hard saved, then went thru the rest of the endings starting from there, only using Suspend to save until I did the Amane ending last.

Thanks!

Is this the recommended way of doing it?

Mitama

Nice, I also got a benchmark so thank you for posting this. Oof you live in Europe? Damn, well bad news but it doesn't look its ever going to be brought over... its a damn shame the 3DS is region locked too. You're really missing out, since DSO is the by far my favorite MegamiTen game, and it seems you prefer DS1 over DS2.

Yup, had to import this as well. Shame yeah since the first Devil Survivor is one of my favourite games ever.

I strongly recommend you to play it without a walkthrough if it's your first time through. Just pick the dialog choices you want and then use a walkthrough to see what choices you need to make to get the other endings. The second time will be much faster since you can carry over one or multiple demons from your last playthrough and just rush to the end with that. You can also skip most of the dialog by then since you've already read it.

But.. even though I loved this game, I thought Devil Survivor was a much better game and Overclocked is a huge improvement on that one. Also, Devil Survivor 2 has literally nothing to do with the story of the first game, so you really ought to start with that one and then move on to the better game. Also, you'll probably want to play something else between these games seeing how they are so much alike.

The "walkthrough" Curufinwe posted is what you should use for your second playthrough to get the other endings. You really don't want to use it for your first time since you'll be looking up dialog choices every 10-20 seconds per scenario, which is definitely not a fun way to play the game.

jaxword

Has anyone managed to kill the powerful "optional" demon on Day 2?

In the second Fumi fight, the metal-skirt demon has a lot of nice skills, but man he's impossible to put a dent into. Has anyone done it? I just run out of manpower before he recharges himself.

Mitama

Do you mean the Sage of Time?

He's doable yes. By now you should have access to the Dragon race which allows you to attack from a distance, it's pretty much necessary for this fight.

duckroll

Finished Day 3. The battles throughout Day 3 were pretty solid in general. Lots of fun. The story and characters in Devil Survivor 2 are really kinda.... disappointing in a way. It's not that they're particularly bad or anything, but I'm kinda annoyed that instead of making a proper sequel to the first game, they decided to take the gameplay and make a totally new story and setting instead which honestly feels much less like the more classic SMT tone that the first game had, and instead goes in the direction of a more modern-Persona sort of tone.

Koroviev

Walkthroughs are cheating? :O

I don't really see the fun in using a walkthrough. I like to experience games based on my own decisions and lack of foresight, not go on guided tours of the "right" playthroughs. That being said, they can be useful when you are genuinely stuck.

DUDE

I was going to mention that. Dragons are awesome now. Evil Flow is my favorite racial skill ever. 4+ range is insane, I was able to outrange BOSSES with that skill. Yeah, the lack of extra turns still sucks, but the extra range is oh so worth it.

SUPER SNIPE

Pfft. Who needs extra turns when you can also have a demon with Double Up.

I don't really see the fun in using a walkthrough.

Depends a lot on game design. In a game like the original Devil Survivor, using a "make all endings accessible" walkthrough the first time is pretty silly; the game has a very convenient NG+ feature to help you get other endings, and the story is designed to make you make decisions about who you agree with and what you're willing to do to get on their good side. I don't think it's unreasonable to check a FAQ occasionally to make sure you don't accidentally mess up the path you're working on, but following the "do exactly this" FAQ the first time will really take away from the joy of making your own decisions and following the plot.

(But on the other hand, I play Tales with FAQ at the ready. I'm already plowing my time into a 60+ hour RPG; I'm not going to play it a second time just to make sure I hit up all the relevant points for those hundreds of minuscule-window sidequests they put in.)

Koroviev

Depends a lot on game design. In a game like the original Devil Survivor, using a "make all endings accessible" walkthrough the first time is pretty silly; the game has a very convenient NG+ feature to help you get other endings, and the story is designed to make you make decisions about who you agree with and what you're willing to do to get on their good side. I don't think it's unreasonable to check a FAQ occasionally to make sure you don't accidentally mess up the path you're working on, but following the "do exactly this" FAQ the first time will really take away from the joy of making your own decisions and following the plot.

(But on the other hand, I play Tales with FAQ at the ready. I'm already plowing my time into a 60+ hour RPG; I'm not going to play it a second time just to make sure I hit up all the relevant points for those hundreds of minuscule-window sidequests they put in.)

I've looked up completed maps for certain floors of the Strange Journey dungeons because having demons beg to join your party and pay macca to your greatness because you've been stuck on the same dungeon for so long is not as fun as it sounds.

Trojita

Sorry if I'm going off topic too much.

I started Overclock and man hearing the voices is strange ( I played a decent amount of the DS version). Naoya especially sounds like he is 20 years older than he looks.

survivor

Banned
Just started playing today and I think I'm almost done the first day. Really love the characters design. Suzuhito Yasuda is an awesome designer.

Can't wait to access more demons so I can start customizing my team better.

Koroviev

Just started playing today and I think I'm almost done the first day. Really love the characters design. Suzuhito Yasuda is an awesome designer.

Can't wait to access more demons so I can start customizing my team better.

I love the character design overall, but I find Io's boobs to be incredibly distracting and not in a good way. They just look wrong, which is a bummer considering that I actually really like her bust art expressions.

If you enjoy demon variety, definitely check out Strange Journey. While I like the demons in DS2, I think the selection should have deviated more from the original.

The biggest difference I'm noticing is the change in music. So glad that I can strategize sans 5-second wailing guitar riffs.

Koroviev

Sorry if I'm going off topic too much.

I started Overclock and man hearing the voices is strange ( I played a decent amount of the DS version). Naoya especially sounds like he is 20 years older than he looks.

How is the voice acting in general? I've heard that it's somewhat of a mixed bag.

PK Gaming

I BEAT THE GAME WHOOOO. Final Boss was incredible(hard as hell too), and the route's ending
I picked Daichi
was great. It genuinly made me happy, though i'll have to strive for an ever better one!

How is the voice acting in general? I've heard that it's somewhat of a mixed bag.

Solid. It takes a bit of time to get used to them, but you'll never want to go back. The voice acting in that game is the best Atlas has ever managed to pull off.

Please post your final team, I'm very curious! :D

Going into the final boss battle:

MC (65) / Remiel (62) / Koumokuten (64)
Daichi (64) / Titania (58)
Io (64) / Loki (63) / Arioch (60) / Behemoth (65)
Joe (64) / Culebre (61) / Purple Mirror (61)

vall03

Solid. It takes a bit of time to get used to them, but you'll never want to go back. The voice acting in that game is the best Atlas has ever managed to pull off.

yeah, and then when you play Devil Survivor 2, you'll somehow miss the voice-acting from Overclocked.

Koroviev

I BEAT THE GAME WHOOOO. Final Boss was incredible(hard as hell too), and the route's ending
I picked Daichi
was great. It genuinly made me happy, though i'll have to strive for an ever better one!

Really? I'm rather fond of the VA in P3P.

PK Gaming

Yeah, its definitely more organic. P3's casting was awesome, but it didn't feel "real" at times. The actors this time around were told to emote (there are some stinkers though; mostly NPCs or side characters)

I even talked to one of the actors (Kyle Herbert) and he admitted he a lot of fun doing the games dubbing.

Torraz

I'm still hoping that the new releses ghostlight was teasing a while ago referred to them expanding to the region-locked 3ds (hello, captive audience ;_;.....) and doing overclocked.

So some of my demons are getting overclassed, but the fusion options seem to be weaker...

Also sometimes the game will tell me that I can fuse a new demon (usually gives a special name), but I can't find the demon anywhere on the Search list. What gives?

Mitama

I picked Daichi

Sweet, cool team.
I pretty much had to use Culebre and Feng Huang to rush him in phase 1 since it always took ages to reach him. I made 2 joke teams to see if it'd work (MC with Culebre/Feng Huang and Otome with Culebre/Feng Huang) and I forgot to resummon my awesome Titania from the compendium :<. I also forgot to put Repel Phys on someone and wish I had more demons with Repel Phys in general though, lots of physical demons in that fight.

Were you also annoyed by the Purple Mirror teams that cast Possession on you? Da Peng was pretty damn crazy too, being able to 1HKO an entire team >_>. All in all, the entire fight probably took me like 2+ hours of resetting and lucking out since I didn't feel like going through the story sequence a third time. :p

For rewards, I'd recommend you to not pick the "Unlock a new fight on Tuesday" reward unless you get the "No EXP cap" so you can grind up before that fight. I'm going for a no free battles run this time around, so I kinda wish I had gotten the Mitamas instead.

Mitama

I'm still hoping that the new releses ghostlight was teasing a while ago referred to them expanding to the region-locked 3ds (hello, captive audience ;_;.....) and doing overclocked.

Yeah, Overclocked in Europe would definitely be awesome. I really want to play OoT, Resident Evil: Revelations and Overclocked, but I'm still waiting for a redesign and a new SMT game.

So some of my demons are getting overclassed, but the fusion options seem to be weaker...

Also sometimes the game will tell me that I can fuse a new demon (usually gives a special name), but I can't find the demon anywhere on the Search list. What gives?

Only demons that are a maximum of 3 levels higher than your fusion level (the MC's level) will show up in that list.

PK Gaming

Sweet, cool team.
I pretty much had to use Culebre and Feng Huang to rush him in phase 1 since it always took ages to reach him. I made 2 joke teams to see if it'd work (MC with Culebre/Feng Huang and Otome with Culebre/Feng Huang) and I forgot to resummon my awesome Titania from the compendium :<. I also forgot to put Repel Phys on someone and wish I had more demons with Repel Phys in general though, lots of physical demons in that fight.

Were you also annoyed by the Purple Mirror teams that cast Possession on you? Da Peng was pretty damn crazy too, being able to 1HKO an entire team >_>. All in all, the entire fight probably took me like 2+ hours of resetting and lucking out since I didn't feel like going through the story sequence a third time. :p

For rewards, I'd recommend you to not pick the "Unlock a new fight on Tuesday" reward unless you get the "No EXP cap" so you can grind up before that fight. I'm going for a no free battles run this time around, so I kinda wish I had gotten the Mitamas instead.

Thanks bro. Yeah I had like all of my demons outfited with Repel / null phys. FUCK THOSE PURPLE MIRROR BASTARDS, his kishin buddies, the demon that rides on another and Polaris AB resummoning demons ever goddamn turn. The fight took me about an 1hour (including constant save reseting) Luckily Culebre could snip the shit out of Polaris with evil flow.

I had 210 points so I choose the rewards that would benefit my immediate next playthrough (transferring skills, No EXP cap, Mitama's etc)

Top Bottom