• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

JEKKI

noooooooo what should I spend my app points on?!?! lol.

I have like 300 of them =P

any good abilities??

otherwise I think I'll spend them on demon book discounts coz I'm so indecisive on which demons I wanna fuse when I have a choice lol.

Anyway, the side missions, more often than not, end up giving law points, unless there are some chaos choices during it.
aw man lol.

next time no more sidequests!!

lol prolly turn a 60 hour game into a 6 hour game =P

isual

ugh. this game is so...casual now...

level 56 mc with mid 30s demons. I'm at the part where I have to find the military base..

Soulhouf

Pale Rider, Red Rider,and Trumpeter. Wondering what order to tackle them in.

Pale Rider isn't hard, so he's a good candidate for the next one.

As for me, I have still Chemtrail, Trumpeter and Red Rider. But since only Chemtrail is available in the chaos route, I will have to wait for my next Neutral run for the others.

Caladrius

Pale Rider, Red Rider,and Trumpeter. Wondering what order to tackle them in.

Like Soulhouf said, Pale Rider isn't too tough. If you already beat the law leader and are just
waiting to return to awaken Masakado
you should do Trumpy next. Red Rider is among the hardest (though he does give an awesome reward.)

CSX

Pale Rider isn't hard, so he's a good candidate for the next one.

As for me, I have still Chemtrail, Trumpeter and Red Rider. But since only Chemtrail is available in the chaos route, I will have to wait for my next Neutral run for the others.
Fiends are available in all routes cept for Red Rider (neutral). I beat all 7 on neutral .

EDIT : i lied. Apparently Trumpeter cant be fought on Chaos

sgt jumpy

Banned
Beat Minotaur on my third try. Hit his weakness as hard as I could and had my party Evasion, Defense, and Attack. Threw my hardest attacks at him and used a Media demon for heals. I pretty much had to cycle through all of my demons: nine I believe. Mana recovery items would have been nice, had none.

Celegus

Looks like I was a bit late to this party. I bought the game at launch because of the $30 promotion, but haven't started it until recently (was still really into Fire Emblem).

It's only my third SMT game sadly, having only played Persona 3&4. But wow am I ever impressed. I just made it to Tokyo (level 17), and I'm loving it. The mix between the fantasy and sci-fi is really interesting to me, reminds me a bit of Star Ocean, how they regard technology as "mystic holy artifacts". Talking to demons is really entertaining and not really something I've ever seen before, gives the battles even more of a strategic layer.

sgt jumpy

Banned
medusa is a bitch
. She has kicked my ass pretty horribly twice now. My PC is lvl 15, I think I'm going to go and fuse some new demons.

Andrew J.

Finally got Chemtrail to spawn yesterday, but as I feared he kicked my ass and I'll have to fuse a new party before trying again.

You know what the worst, most dangerous thing about him is? It's not the lack of weaknesses, the constant debuffing, or even the six(!) press turns, but his AI is so smart. He'll never, ever use an attack that will be nulled, repelled, or drained. I had a Vishnu that repelled gun and drained phys, and Chemtrail didn't touch him until everyone else was dead and then did his almighty spam.

I think the best strategy would be to have a whole party that resists both gun and phys, so his damage is diffused as much as possible across the whole team.

Soulhouf

Finally got Chemtrail to spawn yesterday, but as I feared he kicked my ass and I'll have to fuse a new party before trying again.

You know what the worst, most dangerous thing about him is? It's not the lack of weaknesses, the constant debuffing, or even the six(!) press turns, but his AI is so smart. He'll never, ever use an attack that will be nulled, repelled, or drained. I had a Vishnu that repelled gun and drained phys, and Chemtrail didn't touch him until everyone else was dead and then did his almighty spam.

I think the best strategy would be to have a whole party that resists both gun and phys, so his damage is diffused as much as possible across the whole team.

I've been hunting him for 5 days now. No luck...
I found way to avoid battles in my way to his spawn point (Estma Sword) but even that way the retry process is so looooooooooooooong ;_;

Dresden

Turned on the game for a bit last night, and in the three or so random battles I fought, Maya's Mana Surge mutated into Occult Flash. Makes the sting of never finding Yoshitsune a little easier to bear.

Soulhouf

Finally! Chemtrail decided to show his ugly face after 6 days of retry and doing that walk from the entrance to his spawn point.
Man, that was exhausting T_T
He is definitely the easiest Fiend. Even Black Rider was more challenging. It's perhaps because I have stronger demons too. Anyway, he's down.

My Fiend hunting board so far:
Code:
Matador     ☑
White Rider ☑
Red Rider   ◻
Black Rider ☑
Pale Rider  ☑
Trumpeter   ◻
Chemtrail   ☑

Now I have to do another Neutral run to fight the 2 remaining Fiends.

Just got to
Tokyo
. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

Haha, best moment ever.

Shengar

Strange, why does "Rebith of the Lady" Quest didn't appear on my challenge list? I'm nearly done with all quest except the virtual training, Rebirth of the Overlord, The Hunter Prelim, and those quest where you defeat team of demons. What should I do?
I wanna fuse Lilith.

Soulhouf

Strange, why does "Rebith of the Lady" Quest didn't appear on my challenge list? I'm nearly done with all quest except the virtual training, Rebirth of the Overlord, The Hunter Prelim, and those quest where you defeat team of demons. What should I do?
I wanna fuse Lilith.

You're without a doubt missing anther quest which is mandatory for that one.
Try talking to demons in the wild.

Shengar

You're without a doubt missing anther quest which is mandatory for that one.
Try talking to demons in the wild.

Ooh, that's why I don't see it popped in the bar. Lately I don't really in the mood talking with demons, just pooped their With Heavens Bow. Thanks!
Also, any tips on fighting Beelzebub?

Soulhouf

Ooh, that's why I don't see it popped in the bar. Lately I don't really in the mood talking with demons, just pooped their With Heavens Bow. Thanks!
Also, any tips on fighting Beelzebub?

Have one demon who repel/drain gun to stop his turn every time he uses Heaven's Bow and as many demons who null poison/sickness as possible.
Buff/debuff and Doping will make you survive his almighty attacks.

L Thammy

Started playing this a while ago, I'm at the quest to find Navarre in Naraku.

Any advice for beginners? I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for with regards to demon fusion. Never played a Megaten before, not even Persona.

spiritfox

Started playing this a while ago, I'm at the quest to find Navarre in Naraku.

Any advice for beginners? I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for with regards to demon fusion. Never played a Megaten before, not even Persona.

Try to fuse as often as possible. Keep buff and debuff skills as they are useful throughout the entire game. And also try to cover your weaknesses by fusing demons that null the weaknesses you are weak to. That way you won't give the enemies free press turns.

Caladrius

L Thammy

Try to fuse as often as possible. Keep buff and debuff skills as they are useful throughout the entire game. And also try to cover your weaknesses by fusing demons that null the weaknesses you are weak to. That way you won't give the enemies free press turns.

Stength is useless, Dex is vastly superior but requires you to keep up-to-date on equipment. Magic is good for first-timers.

See here for more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73417746&postcount=9539

Thanks. Should I just go ahead and fuse any demon that has learned all their skills?
What are the "recommended fusions" based on? Just the highest level I can fuse?

spiritfox

Thanks. Should I just go ahead and fuse any demon that has learned all their skills?
What are the "recommended fusions" based on? Just the highest level I can fuse?

In the early game, yes, unless they can evolve. Recommended fusions are just the highest lvl new fusions you can fuse with your current stock. It's useful, but if you want more control, use the search function.

CorvoSol

So I'm on my way to the
Anti-Demon Force HQ
. Still no idea what the hell is happening here. I could guess, I suppose, but I dunno.
If I'm in near-future Tokyo down here, and all of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado is therefore super high above, then either Tokyo was forced underground or, given the way things look, this whole place grew above Tokyo. In the which case, where is the rest of the world right now? It's been 25 years, and nobody's been to visit Mikado, I guess? I mean, I can see the UN roping it off if they found out about Demons, but I was lead to believe that demons were pretty rare outside of Naraku. Then again, seeing as how nobody in Mikado seems to be willing to talk about the fact that only 25 years ago the entire kingdom didn't exist, I suppose people may be a little misinformed. On the other hand, since Literature played such a huge role earlier, I'm inclined to believe no one in Mikado actually knows, especially since they have so large and established a society up there.

Like I said, I have NO IDEA what is going on. Demon waifu of convenience continues to be Megami. Had a Leanne, but she keeps gettin' fused off.

Uthred

Got about 20 hours into this at release but then got distracted by something or other, any good story summary's out there because I dont fancy restarting

So I'm on my way to the
Anti-Demon Force HQ
. Still no idea what the hell is happening here. I could guess, I suppose, but I dunno.
If I'm in near-future Tokyo down here, and all of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado is therefore super high above, then either Tokyo was forced underground or, given the way things look, this whole place grew above Tokyo. In the which case, where is the rest of the world right now? It's been 25 years, and nobody's been to visit Mikado, I guess? I mean, I can see the UN roping it off if they found out about Demons, but I was lead to believe that demons were pretty rare outside of Naraku. Then again, seeing as how nobody in Mikado seems to be willing to talk about the fact that only 25 years ago the entire kingdom didn't exist, I suppose people may be a little misinformed. On the other hand, since Literature played such a huge role earlier, I'm inclined to believe no one in Mikado actually knows, especially since they have so large and established a society up there.

Corvo pls

The rest of the world doesn't matter.

Celegus

So I'm on my way to the
Anti-Demon Force HQ

Like I said, I have NO IDEA what is going on. Demon waifu of convenience continues to be Megami. Had a Leanne, but she keeps gettin' fused off.

Whoa. Trying to rationalize a JRPG? You crazy, boy! I'm right at the same part as you actually, and I'm loving the story/atmosphere. I don't think too hard about it though, just going with it and not really having any idea where it's going from here (which is a good thing).

And if anyone is playing this without reading the descriptions of the artifacts when you turn them in at the shop, you're doing it wrong. They're hilarious! This toaster... some kind of silver statue?

Stength is useless, Dex is vastly superior but requires you to keep up-to-date on equipment. Magic is good for first-timers.

See here for more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73417746&postcount=9539

Why is strength useless? I have about 60 points in Str, 30 or so in Ag and Lu, and Dex/Mag are still base. I've been fine so far, or is it going to cripple me later on?

Why is strength useless? I have about 60 points in Str, 30 or so in Ag and Lu, and Dex/Mag are still base. I've been fine so far, or is it going to cripple me later on?

It's not literally useless. It's just that its most important effect (improving your physical skills) is strictly outclassed by Dex, which also improves your physical skills but at a higher rate: 10 points of Dex will do more for your damage output than 10 points of Strength. Strength's other effect, improving the damage you do with your sword attacks, isn't very useful since unless you're mowing down weak enemies, there's better things for your main character to be doing than auto-attacking. Besides, guns are way more fun than swords.

Ponn

Banned
Hey everybody, i had a quick question. I know im a bad person for not getting this yet, and also stupid for not getting it for the $30 credit deal. Getting past that do the copies on shelves now still have all the bonus stuff? And if so would i be ok waiting till Black Friday for a possible deal?

MilkBeard

I decided to take the plunge and buy this game a few days ago. The store I picked it up from still had the special edition copies (I'm guessing that's the only version released so far?).

I have to say I'm really glad I bought this game. It is sooo good. It has pretty much validated my 3DS purchase outside of Fire Emblem. It is perfect for the handheld, has an addicting battle system/dungeon system and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit with the 3D effects. Actually I opt to play the game with the effects on if I can. There's something about wandering through the dungeons with the effect on that makes it more immersive.

My only complaint so far would have to be somewhat cheesy voice acting, with a script that sometimes gets laughable. However, it's all in good fun and I can overlook it because it's still a very interesting story and I'm really enjoying it.

This is my first mainline SMT game.

GeekyDad

Hey everybody, i had a quick question. I know im a bad person for not getting this yet, and also stupid for not getting it for the $30 credit deal. Getting past that do the copies on shelves now still have all the bonus stuff? And if so would i be ok waiting till Black Friday for a possible deal?

Someone over on Gfaqs who supposedly works at a Gamestop claims to have just gotten a shipment of LEs. Last time I was in one, that's all they had, so I'd say your chances are still good for finding an LE copy.

Riposte

If you trade this in at Amazon (or gamestop, I guess) do they want the full LE stuff? Will they not take it if you include it?

EDIT: I wonder if 25 dollars amazon credit is worth settling for. The used copies are only selling for 30.

NeonZ

So I'm on my way to the
Anti-Demon Force HQ

If you want to get spoiled... Here's some information from a minor npc, not something you'll see explained in the main story...

Tokyo and Mikado have different timeflows. Mikado has a history of more than 1400 years, like its calendar says, while only 25 years passed in Tokyo. That's confirmed by a generic samurai npc you can talk with in the castle back in Mikado, who talks about his kid being older than he should be after he returned after spending some time in Tokyo and saw the kid again.

As for why other countries haven't made contact with Mikado... that is hinted at by another minor npc later.

Caladrius

So I got to the
Counter-Demon Task Force and finished up there, now where the hell am I supposed to go?

Head north of
the base
until you hit the river. There should be some prick asking for money to cross over. Pay it and cross the poison swamp (yes, really). The area you should be in is called
Shinjuku.

Celegus

Head north of
the base
until you hit the river. There should be some prick asking for money to cross over. Pay it and cross the poison swamp (yes, really). The area you should be in is called
Shinjuku.

And don't wander too far into any of the demon domains on the map just yet... the bosses will wreck your ride pretty much immediately. My level 26 group didn't stand a chance against the level 36 demon boss.

Soulhouf

And don't wander too far into any of the demon domains on the map just yet... the bosses will wreck your ride pretty much immediately. My level 26 group didn't stand a chance against the level 36 demon boss.

They are easy to beat even with a lv20 team. You get destroyed first time, but once you identify their weaknesses, they are done for.
They are lv75 BTW.

Celegus

They are easy to beat even with a lv20 team. You get destroyed first time, but once you identify their weaknesses, they are done for.
They are lv75 BTW.

I tried fighting two of them and never even got a turn. Got "ambushed" and killed in their first turn, so not exactly much time to look for a weakness.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just got my 3DS. Just got this game. Just got stomped by a random encounter. Just now remembered what megaten is all about.

Andrew J.

Chemtrail is mine, at last. It took some last-minute, on the fly adjustments, a few tries, and going into debt to Charon, but I beat him.

Now, on to Matador. The team I have now should be appropriate for him with a few tweaks.

Soulhouf

Chemtrail is mine, at last. It took some last-minute, on the fly adjustments, a few tries, and going into debt to Charon, but I beat him.

Now, on to Matador. The team I have now should be appropriate for him with a few tweaks.

Are you playing in hard mode? That's the only mode where some fiends can be difficult.
Other than that, a generic team with high HP is all what you need.

As for me, I'm finally back to the Neutral route. Now I can hunt Red Rider and Trumpeter (the only ones remaining).

Caladrius

I've just got Trumpeter left. After I beat
Mastema
all I have left to do is fuse the famed demons, which I'm not sure if I'll bother with considering it isn't actually challenging.

Soulhouf

I rejected a demon 7 times and it still joined me. (I was trying to get a random quest.)

It happened to me with Jack Frost.
I forgot the exact lines of the conversation but it was hilarious.
It ended up with something like "dude, you refused all my requests. What's wrong with you? Ok I will join you."

z392.jpg

Compared to some of the previous Fiends I have fought, Pale Rider was a pushover. It managed to game over me once because I caused him to Megidolaon spam, but past that, all you need is Salvation, Thunder Reign or Elec Spells, and Debilitate, and maybe Doping and you are golden!

Five down, two to go.

Top Bottom