• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82160525]So if I load up my save from before the fight then choose not to, I can play longer?[/QUOTE]

Yes. This moment is
the route lock.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82161669]Ok cool. Also, the one ability I'm sad I fused out was Invitation. Don't remember where I lost it. Not a crucial ability, though. Tetra + Makara pretty much wins everything.[/QUOTE]

I beat the game and I dont even have Invitation ;_____;

You better give up on Tetra and Makara. End game bosses spam almighty if you use them.

Soulhouf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82156857]Tetrakarn + Makarakarn is broken.
[/QUOTE]

Not past that point since some bosses will start spamming almighty attacks when you use them.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82163089]What do they spam if I don't?[/QUOTE]

They will not use almighty all the time, thats all. What turns spam mode is if all your team has null, drain or repel to the boss non-almighty abilities.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82164721]So basically the end bosses are about grinding instead of strategic demon building.[/QUOTE]

Nope. You will have to rely more on buffs and have demons with high damage output thus Charge and Concentrate are a must on them. Physical demons are pretty powerful in endgame.

Also having demons that null status effects are very helpful. I bet you had trouble with Ancient Curse from Kenji. Gotta have Salvation.

Soulhouf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82164721]So basically the end bosses are about grinding instead of strategic demon building.[/QUOTE]

I don't call having all your demons null/absorb/reflect their attacks strategy. These bosses are not dumb enough to fall for that trap. I actually like that because it changes the way you have to handle battles other than reflect everything and win.
It's so easy to make demons who are immune to all attacks types by the end of the game, but at that point it gets old and it isn't strategy any more.

Ancient Curse? I don't remember Kenji ever using that on me. I remember reflecting the fuck out of his attacks and wasting his turns, though. I don't think any boss caused me problems except that one annoying dude 2/3rds of the way through that would just drain my mp over and over so I had to keep using pots.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82156857]
  • I wish there was a way to transfer some of the skills, like Die For Me!, or transfer from the MC to demons when they max out.
[/QUOTE]
I think someone mentioned it's possible to transfer demon specific skills using Demon Fusion Lite, but since that's random, it's more difficult to control.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82205205]What the hell, you guys are right. The first time I beat him he never used Ancient Curse. Now I can't beat him O_O[/QUOTE]

If you have a ring that nullifies a status effect, it will block Ancient Curse.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82225837]Well, I beat him again regardless. The section after was pretty easy, and it seems like I have the map again so I guess I should find that last sacred treasure.[/QUOTE]

What route did you get?

The quest involving the three sacred treasures is obtained by talking to demons in battle.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82237361]Well I guess I'm evil or something now.[/QUOTE]

lol at least you are not Law scum.

Beat Chemtrail, what a pain in the ass he is. Got all fiends :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Now to fill my compendiu, clear the other routes and beat the DLC bosses.

JEKKI

I'm confused about the final expanse part...

The White are asking me if I want to Preserve, Destroy, or I Don't Know.

I wanna choose I Don't Know but it won't let me... instead it keeps looping me until I choose an extreme...

since I cant choose the middle option, does this mean choosing one of them will lock me into one of the two opposing alignments? Since I can't choose the middle option, does that mean I screwed myself out of getting Neutral path?

also for what it's worth, up to this point I have done every side mission which I hear is a thing you're supposed to do to get neutral?

I donno... 60 hours in and this game is still confusing lol

Busaiku

I'm confused about the final expanse part...

The White are asking me if I want to Preserve, Destroy, or I Don't Know.

I wanna choose I Don't Know but it won't let me... instead it keeps looping me until I choose an extreme...

since I cant choose the middle option, does this mean choosing one of them will lock me into one of the two opposing alignments? Since I can't choose the middle option, does that mean I screwed myself out of getting Neutral path?

also for what it's worth, up to this point I have done every side mission which I hear is a thing you're supposed to do to get neutral?

I donno... 60 hours in and this game is still confusing lol

Doing them before the lock usually takes you out of Neutral (unless you follow guides and whatnot).
In any case, you never want to be fully Neutral by that point if you want Neutral, as the final choice will swing you in either direction.
So basically, you can check each choice and reset to see if you hit Neutral (as they give 10 points towards each) or not, but at that point, there's nothing you can do.

JEKKI

ah well I chose both options, and they both brought me to Walter.

grrrr... and here I thought I was more of a chaos guy oh well...

it's been a long 60 hours lol, I've literally played no other game since the day this came out =P

NeonZ

No, the neutral route forces you to do some side missions in order to progress, you don't need to do side missions to get to the route itself. Anyway, the side missions, more often than not, end up giving law points, unless there are some chaos choices during it.

He is the god protector of Tokyo.
I don't know if his name is stated clearly in this game but if you played the previous SMT, it's obvious since he's always been there.

Here is his name if you can't figure out:
Masakado

Cool, thanks!

This is my very first SMT game so I have no idea how I was supposed to even know that!

Isn't this kind of game breaking though? Really, how are you supposed to know this without looking up a FAQ or asking GAF? If there's no way to figure this out in-game, my opinion of the game just dropped tremendously.

Soulhouf

Cool, thanks!

This is my very first SMT game so I have no idea how I was supposed to even know that!

Isn't this kind of game breaking though? Really, how are you supposed to know this without looking up a FAQ or asking GAF? If there's no way to figure this out in-game, my opinion of the game just dropped tremendously.

I wasn't sure but Jisgsaw confirmed it above:

Yes, it's definitely stated by Stephen at the alignment lock, and I think some NPCs midgame also talk about him at some point.

But I see how this can be difficult if you're not familiar with the series and you don't pay attention to what NPCs tell you.

But that's the thing, I'm very attentive with NPCs. But I think the fact that it's just a Japanese name I'm not familiar with, it's just hard to recall. If I knew it would be important later, I would've written down or something.

Jisgsaw

But that's the thing, I'm very attentive with NPCs. But I think the fact that it's just a Japanese name I'm not familiar with, it's just hard to recall. If I knew it would be important later, I would've written down or something.

Well, I just checked ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWllXZnHnc ), Stephen tells you his name not exactly at the alignment lock, but after you beat the White.
Not sure how you not interpreted that as important, but he is rather talkative, that may explain it.

Concerning other NPCs, I think I read his name in some dialogues, but don't take my word for it.

Any tips for Chemtrail? His spawn spot is far from the entrance, which makes the retry painful.

Do you know the DLC trick? Load the DLC (the farming ones, Death has its applications for example) on the spawn spot, save then cancel the quest you will return to the same place you were and reload the RNG. If doesnt work reload the save and repeat.

Works for all the fiends.

Soulhouf

Do you know the DLC trick? Load the DLC (the farming ones, Death has its applications for example) on the spawn spot, save then cancel the quest you will return to the same place you were and reload the RNG. If doesnt work reload the save and repeat.

Works for all the fiends.

I don't have these DLCs >_>

sgt jumpy

Banned
How much of the DLC would you guys say is essential? Not clothing/reskins/weapons, but DLC with story expansion or helping to make progress a bit easier.

I'm only 9 hours in, but I plan on getting some of the DLC if they're worthwhile.

Caladrius

How much of the DLC would you guys say is essential? Not clothing/reskins/weapons, but DLC with story expansion or helping to make progress a bit easier.

I'm only 9 hours in, but I plan on getting some of the DLC if they're worthwhile.

Clipped wings is great, as well as Ancient one of the Sun. The DLC with Sanat is okay, though the skills you get from it are amazing for physical party members. The guardian of Tokyo DLC is crazy and gives you a great reward.

Outside of those, the Underworld Money maker or Experience of the afterlife are good time savers if you don't want to grind money or Demons to build up what you need to beat the extra bosses. The main game isn't demanding enough to justify using them beforehand though.

Well, I just checked ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWllXZnHnc ), Stephen tells you his name not exactly at the alignment lock, but after you beat the White.
Not sure how you not interpreted that as important, but he is rather talkative, that may explain it.

Concerning other NPCs, I think I read his name in some dialogues, but don't take my word for it.

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. When you KNOW the game will force you to have to input that name based on memorization, then yes, you would think it's of utmost importance to remember it. But to not to be able to hear it repeated somewhere again when you don't know that you have to remember it - and actually INPUT IT in text form - is just bad game design.

At least highlight the name in red text or something... as opposed to having native English speakers passively remember a Japanese name they've probably never heard before.

But I digress. Problem solved. I can progress now. But I am a little peeved that there was no way to figure this out in game if you missed it the first time without using a FAQ.

aceface

Just started this game and it's kicking my ass. Died about 16 times in the first 3 strata of Naraku already. I wish the death dialogue wasn't so damn long...just let me load my last save already!! Finally beat the boss in the Demon Domain after some fusions though.

I'm not gonna switch to easy but it's already driving me a bit nuts how quickly you can get killed if you get ambushed by a demon. How do you prevent the enemy advantage? Is the only way to avoid it hitting the demon with your sword? It seems like even if I run into a demon head on they get the advantage unless I hit them with the sword.

Caladrius

I'm not gonna switch to easy but it's already driving me a bit nuts how quickly you can get killed if you get ambushed by a demon. How do you prevent the enemy advantage? Is the only way to avoid it hitting the demon with your sword?

Yep. Agility and Luck can reduce the chance of it happening, but do you really want to rely on luck for that?

Just started this game and it's kicking my ass. Died about 16 times in the first 3 strata of Naraku already. I wish the death dialogue wasn't so damn long...just let me load my last save already!! Finally beat the boss in the Demon Domain after some fusions though.

I'm not gonna switch to easy but it's already driving me a bit nuts how quickly you can get killed if you get ambushed by a demon. How do you prevent the enemy advantage? Is the only way to avoid it hitting the demon with your sword? It seems like even if I run into a demon head on they get the advantage unless I hit them with the sword.

If you are having difficult hitting enemies, pay attention to the icon in their heads when they approach you. When it turns reds its the moment to hit it.

Caladrius

even with the dlc, hunting chemtrial is a major pain in the ass compared to the others so far imo, I put my fiend hunt on hold, btw

How many do you have left? I've just got Chem and Trumpy to go (found out too late he wasn't available on Chaos so I have to do another playthrough, eurgh.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Clipped wings is great, as well as Ancient one of the Sun. The DLC with Sanat is okay, though the skills you get from it are amazing for physical party members. The guardian of Tokyo DLC is crazy and gives you a great reward.

Outside of those, the Underworld Money maker or Experience of the afterlife are good time savers if you don't want to grind money or Demons to build up what you need to beat the extra bosses. The main game isn't demanding enough to justify using them beforehand though.
I thank you, kindly!

CorvoSol

I just beat
Minotaur
. Why is this game so dang hard? My favorite is Walter going
"Let's take a break and heal in that room!" *HP is not restored to your party.*

This boss
Seraph
is fucking stupid. It reflects attacks, magic and ailments, and uses almighty if I try to reflect back at him. All I can do is sit here and reflect 200 damage from his fire attack that he uses every other turn because of my one dude's resistance. The boss barely even hurts me, but I just have to sit here because I don't have any items to pull shields down.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";82789565]This boss
Seraph
is fucking stupid. It reflects attacks, magic and ailments, and uses almighty if I try to reflect back at him. All I can do is sit here and reflect 200 damage from his fire attack that he uses every other turn because of my one dude's resistance. The boss barely even hurts me, but I just have to sit here because I don't have any items to pull shields down.[/QUOTE]

Apparently when it uses
Light Wing it flashes the color of the element you can use

Well I beat it using Concentrate + Almighty combo.

Apparently when it uses
Light Wing it flashes the color of the element you can use

Well I beat it using Concentrate + Almighty combo.

Well that's kinda dumb. Only boss in the game with a weird gimmick. Anyway, just beat the game on chaos, got an extra ten hours or so out of the game. The three sacred treasures reward wasn't really as cool as I'd hoped, though. And the new ending was kinda short. What happened to the
4 Angels? Gabriel ran away, and I didn't see any of the others.

edit:
Looked it up. Ok, so the Chariot was all of them fused with Jonathan. I knew the chariot was Jonathan from the voice, but I didn't know they all fused. I watched the other endings, and wow the neutral one is way better than the chaos one.

Well I have to quit SMTIV now. My 3DS got wet and no longer works. . . . I will have to call Nintendo within the week. Kind of worried about my ambassador games though

Top Bottom