• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

FluxWaveZ

Don't think I'm gonna use my GS pre-order outfit, considering the attributes. First person to quote me AND state my avatar origin can have it (artist & game). Consider it a semi-gift for Neogaf for getting me to get the game (I'll get around to playing this weekend, hopefully).

Gigi Digi - Persona 4

I don't want the costume, though, since I already have it but you might want to start playing the game and realize if it'll be helpful to you or not before you just give it out.

Edit: Well, never mind then. I used mine in a pinch instead of buying some expensive armor when I needed a resistance against a certain element.

PK Gaming

Minor app spoiler/question:

What does the "Skill Augment" app do, exactly? Will it mutate Flynn's skills or just my demons'
? I'm interested in getting it, but I'm not about to invest 60 points for something that might not do what I want it to.

Apparently it increases the skill mutation rate for demons.

depths20XX

Loving this game and it's difficulty. Only thing I don't like is having to hit EVERY enemy with your damn sword for initiative. I don't feel like enemies should get first attack just from running into the front of you.

On a few occasions I've gone through a door only to be greeted by a spawn right in front of me where I literally have no room to swing my sword or if I do swing it's like my hitbox extends into the monster but doesn't hit with the sword.

They don't. I believe the higher one's agility, the less likely the enemy will get a first attack if it hits the main character.

I HAVE actually noticed that ever since I started really focusing on MAG and AGI, it's been getting rarer for enemies to get first strike on me. Maybe that's true.

GeekyDad

They don't. I believe the higher one's agility, the less likely the enemy will get a first attack if it hits the main character.

Yeah, they can. I've had quite a few battles where the enemy got the first turns running into me from the front on the field.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, they can. I've had quite a few battles where the enemy got the first turns running into me from the front on the field.

Well, sure, me too. I meant that it's not 100% of the time and if it's something that's too unpleasant, the solution might be to put points into Ag.

I will say that it was annoying for me at first when I couldn't get the timing right, but I got used to it and I find it especially simple to hit an enemy now that I'm equipped with a spear.

So my Angel, and I think Poltergeist said last night their close to wanting to transform.
I had no idea Poltergeist could evolve.
EDIT: Or maybe it was Gremlin...not sure. Should have posted it last night lol.

GeekyDad

Well, sure, me too. I meant that it's not 100% of the time and if it's something that's too unpleasant, the solution might be to put points into Ag.

I will say that it was annoying for me at first when I couldn't get the timing right, but I got used to it and I find it especially simple to hit an enemy now that I'm equipped with a spear.

Yeah, I would complain about it if I didn't enjoy how dangerous it makes the dungeons feel. I mean, these mobs can literally spring up out of the ground right behind you and ambush you. It's a little cheap in terms of gameplay, but it plays into the premise of the story perfectly. Ultimately, I dig that.

I'm so jealous, got the game on release day and haven't had a moment to play all week. Glad to see everyone is really enjoying it. Hopefully I will be able to play this weekend.

Demons can evolve? Shit. I've also consider them as fusion fuel as soon as they've learned all their skills.

That they can. It's a very uncommon feature, but some demons can evolve. An Angel will actually evolve all the way through its tier list if you leave it in your party long enough, for example.

Tamanon

Banned
Demons can evolve? Shit. I've also consider them as fusion fuel as soon as they've learned all their skills.

Stolen from an earlier list, the spoilered demons who can evolve:

Divine Angel (12) -> Divine Arch Angel (22) -> Divine Principality (30) -> Divine Power (37) -> Divine Virtue (46) -> Divine Dominion (56) -> Divine Throne (62) -> Divine Cherub
Fairy Jack Frost (20) -> Jaki Wendigo
Drake Mushussu (51) -> Drake Tiamat (62) -> Drake Ym
Spirit Poltergeist (17) -> Spirit Quick Silver
Jaki Gremlin (14) -> Wilder Raiju
Night Wild Hunt (58) -> Tyrant Abaddon
Holy Heqet (11) -> Lady Dzelarhons
Jirae Kuebiko (49) -> Avatar Uka no Mitama
Avatar Chimera (52) -> Beast Orthrus (66) -> Beast Cerberus
Kishin Mou-Ryo (28) -> Spirit Inferno (39) -> Wilder Porewit
Beast Kabuso (23) -> Nymph Senri (32) -> Beast Nekomata
Vile Tao Tie (62) -> Wilder Taown
Femme Yomotsu-Shikome (31) -> Brute Yomotsu-Ikusa
Holy Airavata (53) -> Jaki Girimehkala
Yoma Koppa Tengu (22) -> Yoma Karasu Tengu
Fairy Kelpie (42) -> Yoma Valkyrie
Vermin Ubu (26) -> Jirae Tsuchigumo
Undead Corpse (39) -> Fallen Nebiros
Femme Dakini (69) -> Femme Kali
Night Kaiwan (44) -> Fallen Decarabia

Divine Angel (12) -> Divine Arch Angel (22) -> Divine Principality (30) -> Divine Power (37) -> Divine Virtue (46) -> Divine Dominion (56) -> Divine Throne (62) -> Divine Cherub

Oh sweet!

Aww yeah, Dream Fist +7

daveo42

Banned
Is there anything else to do (about 4-5 hours in spoiler)
during your day off after saving Navarre outside of just going back to the barracks or working on the new side missions? I already had breakfast and ran into Isabeau. I explored the town and talked to everyone else as well.

This doesnt have to do with the game, but I cant start threads, but it is related to Atlus.

Index is selling Atlus for 149 Million
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/index-corporation-hopes-to-sell-atlus-for-149m.453204977/
C'mon Nintendo

It does seem possible that Nintendo could buy them...but then what would happen with all of the odd/niche games that they seem to put out. I don't think Nintendo would approve a game like Catherine.

^pls no

How is your party looking guys?

Samurai Rojas LV 26
Fiend David Lv 25
Amatsu Ame no Uzume Lv 25
Jaki Wendigo Lv 25
Spirit Macarbe Lv 25
Foul Tattooed Man Lv 25
Pyro Jack Lv 20
Fairy Oread Lv 19
Femme Strix Lv 19
Genma Tam Lin Lv 18
Foul Hooligan Lv 18
Wilder Jueyuan Lv 17
Fallen Bifrons Lv 17
Ghost Preta Lv 17

PK Gaming

I'm going to take
Angel
to the top, haha.

Heres my updated main team :D
mwfX12P.jpg

I hope not. I'd much rather have the next Persona on PS4 than 3DS.

Well SMT x FE is happening, and lets also remember that a Persona for 3DS was announced awhile ago.

Cool looking team.....but wait, what?!

It wasn't. There was a 'Persona series' game listed on the 3DS pre-release support list that Nintendo sent out, but lots of the games on that list were cancelled or moved to other platforms, and it's foolish to treat it like the gospel, especially after this long.

There has never been an official announcement of a Persona game for 3DS.

Thanks, I'll keep this handy. Can you also just fuse one of the things higher on the chain or do you need to start at the bottom?

I have a lvl 20
Archangel
from earlier fusion who told me on last level up that he senses a future evolution. So it isn't a strict upgrade path.

It wasn't. There was a 'Persona series' game listed on the 3DS pre-release support list that Nintendo sent out, but lots of the games on that list were cancelled or moved to other platforms, and it's foolish to treat it like the gospel, especially after this long.

There has never been an official announcement of a Persona game for 3DS.

But it was never denied to be in the works or cancelled.
All the games that were cancelled on that list were confirmed cancelled by the developers, no?

But it was never denied to be in the works or cancelled.
All the games that were cancelled on that list were confirmed cancelled by the developers, no?

They don't have to confirm anything. There was a Devil May Cry game on the PSP's pre-release support list and Capcom never officially announced anything about it. They just never talked about it until people stopped asking.

Never trust pre-release support pledges. They're not official announcements, they're just developers saying "we're thinking this IP might be a good fit for this platform". There's no indication that such a game was ever in active development.

EDIT: Additionally, ATLUS also said there was a "Shin Megami Tensei" game coming to the Vita in addition to Persona 4 GOLDEN on the Vita's pre-release support list. That never materialized either.

aravuus

+1

So 49% participation then.

I'm afraid I missed your point.

Well SMT x FE is happening, and lets also remember that a Persona for 3DS was announced awhile ago.

Yeah, 3 years ago at E3 apparently :lol
3DS is a fine platform but I really think all these great RPGs should be played on home consoles, from a massive hd tv with awesome sounds and yadda yadda

Agreed. Nintendo buying Atlus would kind of suck. But this definitely isn't the thread for that kind of discussion.

Ah yeah, true enough.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
3DS is a fine platform but I really think all these great RPGs should be played on home consoles, from a massive hd tv with awesome sounds and yadda yadda
I find the opposite to be true, the pick up and play nature and sleep mode is a really good fit for long sprawling adventures. You probably couldn't get me to boot up a console and sit in front of a TV for 80 hours for P4 anymore but I was glued to my vita every night with P4G. Having a blast with this too.

I find the opposite to be true, the pick up and play nature and sleep mode is a really good fit for long sprawling adventures. You probably couldn't get me to boot up a console and sit in front of a TV for 80 hours for P4 anymore but I was glued to my vita every night with P4G. Having a blast with this too.

Personally, I really hate playing portable games at home. It's unbelievably uncomfortable. Considering the overwhelming majority of my gaming time is done at home, I'd rather my big games be done on a console.

Especially when putting them on a handheld means they're going to look like the exact same PS2/PSP-level games we've been seeing for over a decade now, but with less content or less visual flair.

Samyy

Personally, I really hate playing portable games at home. It's unbelievably uncomfortable. Considering the overwhelming majority of my gaming time is done at home, I'd rather my big games be done on a console.

Especially when putting them on a handheld means they're going to look like the exact same PS2/PSP-level games we've been seeing for over a decade now, but with less content or less visual flair.

Huh, but you can play in bed :(

My copy has arrived!
... I'm kinda disappointed in the 'strategy & design book' though. I thought the design and the guide will be 50:50, not 1:30

I hope this does well enough to where SMTV gets a more considerable budget along the lines of what I assume Persona and Nocturne got.

CE is neat though, I'm reminded I paid 20 extra to get something similar for Demon Soul's collector's edition. Wish Atlus would start including real soundtracks or at least something more considerable.

23 hours in, some dungeon spoilers below.

Just as I was disappointed by how Kagome Tower is just two U-shaped floors, they throw a timed teleporter maze at me. And enemies can attack your time.

Happy to say the difficulty still hasn't let up for me.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Eh but aside from a few franchises, high budget console RPGs aren't as viable as they used to be and I don't want developers to have to ever think about downscaling due to budget or anything. If having 2D sprites and PS2 graphics made the existence of SMT4 possible (especially with the amount of content it has packed in) then I'm all for it.

Huh, but you can play in bed :(
Also this

daveo42

Banned

I think the big appeal for me to have a long game on handheld is the ability to play it anywhere at any time. Laying down in bed after a long day and playing a game or being away from home and still having access to it make it easier to keep playing the game.

I do love having games on a home console, but the handheld aspect makes it much easier to just pick up and play. I was glued to my Vita when I got P4G and now I'm glued to my 3DS for SMT. If it was on a home console, I'd probably go days before having time to sit down at home thanks to my schedule.

Alright, I'm starting to get it. The first 3-4 hours really sucked though. Like a really, really shitty opening to a game. You don't have enough skills at that point to implement any sort of strategy - its just "weak to ice - cast bufu" and hope the RNG gods are on your side. The dungeon is boring. The enemies are repetitive. There's nothing interesting in the story.

BUT after like 5 hours now I'm sort of seeing this take shape. I have a bunch of different demons and have done some experimenting with fusing. I still haven't had any interesting fights - those are still very one-dimensional - but I can see where that's going.

I was very unhappy with the game for a while, but I'm going to stick with it. At level 12, just cleaning up some challenge quests before I go deeper in the dungeon to capture
the Black Samurai

Re: When to fuse, I'm just trying to do it when there's a need. If I'm easily beating enemies/bosses, I'm not going to give up the demons I have for something new. I guess if my demon slots fill up (I have 7 of 8 right now) I will start fusing, or if I see there's a demon I can get that's obviously better than the two I have and am not really using.

I really hate the recruitment process!

evangd007

Yeah, 3 years ago at E3 apparently :lol

The home JRPG era is over, bro. Call me if you need a hug.

I think the big appeal for me to have a long game on handheld is the ability to play it anywhere at any time. Laying down in bed after a long day and playing a game or being away from home and still having access to it make it easier to keep playing the game.

I do love having games on a home console, but the handheld aspect makes it much easier to just pick up and play. I was glued to my Vita when I got P4G and now I'm glued to my 3DS for SMT. If it was on a home console, I'd probably go days before having time to sit down at home thanks to my schedule.

This is definitely how I feel about it too. On the weekends I can rent something from redbox like The Last of Us to play on my console, but during the Week I have work so don't always have a lot of time to sit down in front of a TV to play a game. So having great long RPGs like SMT IV on 3DS, and prior to that P4G on Vita, are fantastic because I can play them at work on lunch breaks or when I use the restroom. In this case the portability greatly increases my playability of a game.

Eh but aside from a few franchises, high budget console RPGs aren't as viable as they used to be and I don't want developers to have to ever think about downscaling due to budget or anything. If having 2D sprites and PS2 graphics made the existence of SMT4 possible (especially with the amount of content it has packed in) then I'm all for it.

I understand the appeal. I'm just getting really tired of these scaled-down experiences full of "mission systems", talking portraits and low-quality animations replacing the kinds of RPGs I enjoy. I feel like the RPG genre is stubbornly refusing to evolve and grow, instead putting down roots in the PSP era, curling up into a ball and screaming in blind rage at anyone who asks it to do something bigger.

It's a very rare occurrence for me to actually finish a portable RPG. Because of how low-quality the experience usually feels, I don't get as attached as I do to something on a major console. The dramatic moments are never as powerful as they could be, the visuals never impress...there's nothing really to keep me coming back except for the fact that it's a game I haven't finished yet. Eventually, I get bored, or another game takes my attention and that's it - the game goes unfinished. I never finished P4G for that exact reason.

If there were more handheld RPGs on the same quality tier as something like Birth By Sleep, I would be fine with there being more of them. But there just aren't.

Top Bottom