• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Volcynika

I think before I stream again (probably later today), gotta change my avatar to NavarreFace.jpg. It's time and there is no image more perfect.

Jarekx

I think I'll stop progressing for a bit and do some challenge quests / get some equips. Got 9 and half hours played and just got to
Shinjuku

Game is so good though. We need more jrpg's like this. It's such a shame they don't get made that often.

Soulhouf

- The initial difficulty seems really high compared to Nocturne. It's the same in the sense that if the enemy ambushes you you can wipe easily, but even if you get into a regular fight and trade blows, the enemies do like 1/3 of your initial health with a single strike (and sometimes they get 2 strikes, and criticals!). Even in Nocturne it wasn't that high.

This is a strength to me. I wish if the game continued being that brutal because almost everything else becomes perfect once you reach Tokyo.

georly

Finally started playing for the first time last night. My experience was as follows:

• Fight and defeat first demon.
  • Capture Second Demon
  • Die on Third Demon.

What.

Grah. I'm lost again. So I made it to (early Tokyo spoilers) the
Counter-Demon Force HQ
and reported back to Mikado. Now I'm not quite sure where to go next. I wandered all the way over to
Ikebukuro
, but the path was blocked by a wall of fire.

Did I miss the entrance to
Shinjuku Station
somehow?

side quest spoiler question: please read at own discretion

So is anyone doing or has done the Irsis quest in Naraku? I have no idea where her husband's coffin is. Plus I'm scared about having to run away from a strong demon? So um help on the location?

Man I fucking hate recruiting.

seems totally random with them trying to be funny... except when you mess up there is a high chance the enemy will wipe out at least 1 of your dudes.

side quest spoiler question: please read at own discretion

So is anyone doing or has done the Irsis quest in Naraku? I have no idea where her husband's coffin is. Plus I'm scared about having to run away from a strong demon? So um help on the location?

It's on
Naraku Level 4. Go through the waterfall and an ? point should appear at the dead end of the path. You have to bring it back to Isis, and Seth will periodically spawn as a red icon on the map while you're carrying it. Just run away from him, or avoid engaging him entirely if you can.

Don't do what I did and try to carry it all the way out of Naraku entirely. That was a bad move.

Nexas

Oh man I just started the Hunter tournament quest and
SMT II music starts blaring through the speakers.
I love this game.

It's on
Naraku Level 4. Go through the waterfall and an ? point should appear at the dead end of the path. You have to bring it back to Isis, and Seth will periodically spawn as a red icon on the map while you're carrying it. Just run away from him, or avoid engaging him entirely if you can.

Don't do what I did and try to carry it all the way out of Naraku entirely. That was a bad move.

Okay. So right when I get the option to fuse, I should fuse any and all demons?

Fuse when a demon has outlived its usefulness, when it falls behind in level, or when it learns every ability it's going to learn and it isn't the only demon you have filling a specific niche. Fusion is a great way to get rid of extraneous demons, like that Agi-using slime you have that's 6 levels behind everyone else in your party.

Ourobolus

Banned
Okay. So right when I get the option to fuse, I should fuse any and all demons?

No. I fuse demons after I've learned whatever skills they have. After that, apart from them evolving on their own, there really isn't a huge reason to keep old demons (unless they have good elemental strengths for the area, or something). Fuse away at that point.

No. I fuse demons after I've learned whatever skills they have. After that, apart from them evolving on their own, there really isn't a huge reason to keep old demons (unless they have good elemental strengths for the area, or something). Fuse away at that point.

I sometimes hang on to demons that I get attached to for whatever reason. The reserve in this game is big enough that you don't have to fuse everything, but it makes sense to constantly refresh your team with bigger and better demons when you can.

For example: I'll probably keep Tam Lin around for a while since his stat growths seem pretty nice - at least until I get Cu Chulainn, then all bets are off.

Ourobolus

Banned
I sometimes hang on to demons that I get attached to for whatever reason. The reserve in this game is big enough that you don't have to fuse everything, but it makes sense to constantly refresh your team with bigger and better demons when you can.

For example: I'll probably keep Tam Lin around for a while since his stat growths seem pretty nice - at least until I get Cu Chulainn, then all bets are off.

Well yeah, everyone has favorites. I know in Persona 3 I kept Yomotsu Shikome and Lamia around farrrrr past their original levels.

Well yeah, everyone has favorites. I know in Persona 3 I kept Yomotsu Shikome and Lamia around farrrrr past their original levels.

I think I had Cu Chulainn and the special semi-unique Emperor Black Frost from the Amala Labyrinth in my party for most of the last third of Nocturne. I'm not counting Dante since you literally can't get rid of the guy once he joins your party, but he was with me for most of it too.

njean777

If I like Persona will I like this game? I know there is no school setting with social links, but I did enjoy the combat and fusing in persona as well.

FluxWaveZ

Minor app spoiler/question:

What does the "Skill Augment" app do, exactly? Will it mutate Flynn's skills or just my demons'
? I'm interested in getting it, but I'm not about to invest 60 points for something that might not do what I want it to.

If I like Persona will I like this game? I know there is no school setting with social links, but I did enjoy the combat and fusing in persona as well.

The SMT games are very, very, very different compared to Persona. They share a similar set of spells and special attacks, and a lot of the same demons, but there's very little crossover between the two otherwise.

Do you like crushing difficulty and minimalist storytelling? SMTIV is basically a niche Super Nintendo RPG with 3D dungeon environments, so if that sounds interesting to you I would say go ahead and play it.

njean777

The SMT games are very, very, very different compared to Persona. They share a similar set of spells and special attacks, and a lot of the same demons, but there's very little crossover between the two otherwise.

Do you like crushing difficulty and minimalist storytelling? SMTIV is basically a niche Super Nintendo RPG with 3D dungeon environments, so if that sounds interesting to you I would say go ahead and play it.

Guess I will give it a go, I mean I don't like OMG I HATE MY LIFE difficulty, but I did enjoy Dark Souls more so then any other games this gen, so I should be alright with this game.

Guess I will give it a go, I mean I don't like OMG I HATE MY LIFE difficulty, but I did enjoy Dark Souls more so then any other games this gen, so I should be alright with this game.

If you have the concepts of the weaknesses and strengths from Persona, I.E. Jack Frost is weak to fire spells type stuff, you should be just fine. The game was only really "difficult" for the first maybe 3 or 4 hours, but once you start fusing some good demons with their weakness covered and your MC gets some more levels on him you should be fine. Also saving every chance you get is a great idea in this game.

TheExodu5

Banned

Eh, I wouldn't say they're that different. Take out the social aspect, make every member of your party demons, and amp the difficulty up to 11.

Eh, I wouldn't say they're that different. Take out the social aspect, make every member of your party demons, and amp the difficulty up to 11.

I honestly kind of disagree. SMT is more of a dungeon crawler game about a setting, whereas Persona is much more heavily based around narrative and characterization. SMT's a lot more minimalist, whereas Persona is a lot more direct with a lot of its themes and elements. All in all, the core concept of each game is different enough that I really don't think they're similar at all aside from featuring the same demons and the same spell database.

Especially since Persona dumped the conversation system after Persona 2.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Is it actually possible to recruit the low level slime demons? I always assumed they were never recruitable, in any SMT game I've played; the more you know.

I also agree with everything that duckroll said above; my frustration at not finding the type of RPG I wanted to play on the current gen consoles led me to breakdown and buy a DS - which I swore I'd never do - and redevelop a new appreciation for - i guess SRPGs is how you classify the grid type games?

Only a month or so ago, I was scrolling through PSN and XBLM, trying to find a turn based RPG that wasn't retro-ish, and satisfied my nebulous criteria. I was surprised by how little there is out there. So, DS it is. I hope this Etrian Odyssey, when I get to it, is decent as well.

A new Persona can't come soon enough either.

Nexas

Fuck that tournament challenge quest. 4 enemies in a row and they to go first every time? Half of my party is dead before I even get a turn. Such bullshit.

Having designed dungeons and places to explore is a significant difference from the randomized dungeons of Persona 3/4, as well as the lack of a time management aspect.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Fuck that tournament challenge quest. 4 enemies in a row and they to go first every time? Half of my party is dead before I even get a turn. Such bullshit.
Yeah, I tried it once, got past the first two teams and said eff it. Im leveling up and coming back later. That was at level 31 or so.

jackal27

Banned

Honestly, if you know about no social links and stuff and are still interested? I think you'll like it. The story in this game (thus far) has a bit more of a Persona-y feel to it as well in my opinion.

They are very different, but I enjoy both for their unique differences. Watch a trailer and if that looks cool to you, pick it up!

I think one of my biggest complaints with the game is that it's basically impossible to survive a battle if the enemy gets to go first. On my bus ride into work this morning, a random enemy got a surprise attack on my party (despite the fact that I was facing it directly when combat was initiated) and cast Mabufu on us four times in a row, wiping my entire party before I got a single turn. I almost dropkicked my DS.

Is it just me or does enemy damage output scale with your level? A level 1 enemy on the first floor of Naraku was doing 70 damage a hit to me when I was level 22. Why the hell is there no Endurance or Defense stat? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Volcynika

^

Ahh, getting SMT'd. A constant possibility! :p

Though making levels not a great priority discourages tons and tons of grinding at least.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't think I'm gonna use my GS pre-order outfit, considering the attributes. First person to quote me AND state my avatar origin can have it (artist & game). Consider it a semi-gift for Neogaf for getting me to get the game (I'll get around to playing this weekend, hopefully).

Just curious, do different weapons give you different attack animations in the field?

I've noticed that I'm a little bad at judging distances; swung too early a bunch of times

jackal27

Banned
Just curious, do different weapons give you different attack animations in the field?

I've noticed that I'm a little bad at judging distances; swung too early a bunch of times

Yup they do! I switched from using my starter sword to a blunt weapon and it showed me swinging a mace! My question is, does the actual weapon model differ from weapon to weapon?

Nexas

So I just found how to check your alignment:
Go to any hunters association and talk to the cynical man and he will tell you. You might have be further in the story for him to show up though.

Don't think I'm gonna use my GS pre-order outfit, considering the attributes. First person to quote me AND state my avatar origin can have it (artist & game). Consider it a semi-gift for Neogaf for getting me to get the game (I'll get around to playing this weekend, hopefully).

Hiimdaisy's Persona 4 comic thingy?

CSX

12-13 hours I think. Chilling in Shinjuku underground now.

Just wanna say its easy to grind for a lot of levels in this area. So many demons 5-10 levels higher than you so the exp gains are huge. Attacking enemies as you do quests in the area net you a whole lot more exp than the quests lol

Top Bottom