• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters
cXxmxKU.png

Developer: Atlus (Team Maniax)
Publisher: SEGA/Atlus
Release Date: 14 June 2024
Platforms: PlayStation 4 & 5 | Xbox | PC (Steam Deck Verified) | Nintendo Switch
Genre: JRPG, Adventure, Story rich
Standard Edition - $59.99 USD | €59,99 | £54.99
Digital Deluxe Edition - $69.99 USD | €69,99 | £59.99

O3Zyfma.gif

CJ9dvOR.png

7Nd7pWE.jpeg

Characters

Protagonist (Nahobino)

The protagonist - a third-year high school student of Jouin High School. After finding himself in Da'at after a tunnel collapse incident, he fuses with a mysterious man, becoming a Nahobino and using that power to fight demons.

Tb5zaDg.png
R5EdwWu.png

Aogami

A mysterious man that suddenly appears in front of the protagonist while he gets attacked by demons in Da'at. He proposes to him that he takes his hand if he wishes to live, letting them fuse together.

H5zSA4S.png

Tao Isonokami

One of the protagonist's schoolmates of the same year. She has been aware of the existence of demons, and since her youth has she worked at Bethel, a global organization that fights demons in the real world.

CFhDykn.png

Yuzuru Atsuta

One of the protagonist's acquaintances at school. An honor student with a strong sense of justice. After wandering into Da'at, he also accepts the invitation to join Bethel, in order to protect his only relative and the peace of Tokyo.

mApLtTH.png

Ichiro Dazai

A student at Jouin Academy. He has a carefree personality, but performs poorly at school. He joins Bethel alongside the protagonist and Yuzuru after their experiences in Da'at, in order to prove his worth to a noble cause.

Dh6B3pz.png

Miyazu Atsuta

Yuzuru Atsuta's younger sister and only relative. She is shy and physically weak, so she frequents the school nurse's office. She genuinely cares for others, and wants to help them however she can. Miyazu is striving to become a nurse. She expresses concern that Sahori is being bullied, though Sahori herself does not talk to her.

Sh1exxR.png

Koshimizu

He is the prime minister of Japan and the head of Bethel's Japan branch. He is calm, collected and strategic. Staff commend him for his talents and ability to handle such heavy workflow, while the public questions why there's no background on him.

sOQDszF.png

Sahori Itsukishima

A student at Jouin High School that gets captured by a certain demon while the school's being raided.

868a5bG.png

Shohei Yakumo

A mysterious man determined to slay all demons, and confronts the protagonist in Da'at.

0l2c50e.png

Nuwa

A mysterious demon allied with Shohei. She says she's been by his side since he was young.

qH71llU.png

New Characters

Yoko

She is a student around the protagonist's age who attends Saint Marina's Academy. She has been considered a Saint due to her ability to use magic since she was young.

KFtF2Vs.png

Qadištu

Also known as "The Goddesses of Vengeance," the Qadištu is a group of female demons that appear in Vengeance. They are all based on the four angels of prostitution who have been mated with Samael.

Lilith
Leader of the Qadištu. She seems to have a certain purpose...

yxppzzE.png

Naamah

She is a member of Qadištu and is also known as the "mother of demons." She is the most sensual of the four and is good at seduction, and her beauty is said to captivate not only humans but also angels and demons

loMehh1.png

Eisheth Zenunim

She is a member of Qadištu. She is a demon who seduces many humans and leads them to their destruction.

F3qXyXh.png

Agrat bat Mahlat

She is a member of Qadištu.

SZbYfqg.png

Mastema

A mysterious archangel and member of Bethel. Says that he has received permission from God to tempt humans and test their faith.

He has come to Tokyo in pursuit of Qadištu, after they desecrated his own faraway jurisdiction. Could the strange incidents in Tokyo be related to his arrival...?

zHWJDjU.png

Launch Edition & Digital Deluxe details

PJIpkWP.jpeg

WrDOlWp.png

Media

oT4wLj1.gif

UZRifob.jpeg

6a5sdS2.jpeg

mHcBnM0.png

xTabyK0.png

c6ysiy8.png

Link to Review Thread

Metacritic - 87
OpenCritic - 89

bcwWvZ3.gif

OT title suggested by Danjin44 Danjin44

Last edited:

acidagfc

Will be playing on Switch 2 aka Steamdeck.

EDIT: Well, shit, it turns out this does NOT run well on Deck in higher resolutions.
I primarily use Deck connected to tv, the default 720p is to blurry for my taste.
I could run P5R at full 4k at 30 locked, this one falls way below even at 1440p.

Refunded, buying on PS5 instead.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Great work with the OT!

Man am I excited, can't wait for another +100 hours of pure SMT gameplay bliss.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Also excited to hear the new music, both SMT IV's and V's are amongst my favorite OSTs and can't wait to hear all the rearrangements and new themes done for VV.

I know I can do that already, but prefer to hear it ingame at least for the first time. :lollipop_content:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm only seeing casual, normal and hard difficulty in-game. I also looked on PSN and there isn't a safety DLC, at least not yet.
Just like most other SMT games I played, I will play it on hard.....press turn is such great turn based combat which makes it that much more enjoyable on harder difficulty.

Last edited:
Switch, again. These games need handheld. I have a steamdeck too, but I use it for old pc games/console games, and emulation. The base game ran fine on switch for me and the oled pops.

Now where is it that it spits from the base game? Will it tell you? I never finished it.

StereoVsn

So the only review I could find talking about PC features was PCGamesN of all places. Seems pretty decent.

Unfortunately there are still some technical issues:

What’s more, the game’s humble Switch origins remain fairly obvious in parts. Even when playing on a 16GB Razer gaming laptop, which is above recommended specs, you’ll still see occasional instances of pop-in and frame rate drops.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I wish there is mod for main character to be changed as aogami, so i will pic PC. Dont know when i will play it though...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just to confirm if I plan to play this only once I should pick vengeance mode right?

Bkdk

Just started playing, first step for PC wishlist for this game is the most simple trainer like speeding character running speed, or tools that would let me customize demon builds easier, then various female demon mods and mods that changing skills stats, skill and demon limits etc. let's see how moddable this game can be.

There has been some delay but...
Michael C Hall Dexter GIF by CANAL+

You started your vengeance playthrough?
Damn... a bit unlucky there. I also started to get worried since they said my copy should have arrived yesterday morning, but instead, it arrived in the afternoon. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But yeah, I've already put around 3 hours into it yesterday. I chose the new Canon of Vengeance route, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It also runs silky smooth on PS5 (I think it's 4k 60 fps 🤔).

I also love that you can save anywhere in Vengeance since I already fucked up a couple of early fights lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Zheph

Damn... a bit unlucky there. I also started to get worried since they said my copy should have arrived yesterday morning, but instead, it arrived in the afternoon. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But yeah, I've already put around 3 hours into it yesterday. I chose the new Canon of Vengeance route, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It also runs silky smooth on PS5 (I think it's 4k 60 fps 🤔).

I also love that you can save anywhere in Vengeance since I already fucked up a couple of early fights lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah, I am surprisingly acting like an adult and being patient about it. I look forward to it tho, its the steelbook from Game UK

Can't wait to do it on competent hardware, this beautiful game is a waste on Switch imo

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game is unlocked on Steam! Man, working from home today is going to be more difficult than usual. :goog_relieved:

lKuYbGg.png

Can anyone confirm if the PC version is uncapped?
Hey! You might now this already but yeah, it's uncapped. Saw options for 30, 60, 120, 144, and no limit.
Can you do me a favor and please confirm if this also retains the Safety difficulty DLC (or directly in the game) like the Switch OG?
It does, at least on Steam there's a DLC for it. Wasn't there yesterday, so they might just have added it. I would expect to see it on consoles too.

Question(s) gents :

- is the story self contained or do I have to have played the previous games ?

- This is still turn based, right ?

- How long do these games take to finish ?

The only experience I have from SMT is the PS2 one, I remember it having...sparse/empty environments with a random battle system and I dropped it after 25-30 hours, has the formula changed /evolved since then ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Top Bottom