• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Replays are a *lot* faster. If you basically go for 100% on the first playthrough, each playthrough takes like 20 hours max after.
I should’ve phrased it better.

I’m not necessarily going for 100%, I just want to make sure I don’t fuck up story. I can always YT the extra endings but I want to see the true ending on my first run.

How do I insure that?

nikos

How's this game outside of combat and collecting demons?

I tend to eventually set turn based games to an easier difficulty to get through battles faster and experience the story, exploration, etc.

Is it worth it for that?

TheMan

Last SMT I played was nocturne which was light on story with a lot of empty, plain areas and buildings. Does this game have a stronger story? Maybe even populated town or two?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How's this game outside of combat and collecting demons?

I tend to eventually set turn based games to an easier difficulty to get through battles faster and experience the story, exploration, etc.

Is it worth it for that?
The exploration is cool, large areas with lots of hidden stuff to find, like useful collectibles or side quests.

The story... It's there. The new route they added to this edition seems to have a better story, but the vanilla one was quite barebones. After all, SMT is mostly about the gameplay and atmosphere.

Last SMT I played was nocturne which was light on story with a lot of empty, plain areas and buildings. Does this game have a stronger story? Maybe even populated town or two?
SMT V was inspired by and took a lot from Nocturne. Story I'd say it's about the same but even less developed, but the exploration is far better in this one imo, even if it's still more deserts.

If you want an SMT with more story, check out SMT IV and Digital Devil Saga.

Zheph

Pretty similar I would say. SMT is probably not the best series if you are looking for a meaty story and lively areas

PanzerCute

Amazon delayed my delivery and I have to wait until monday to play it.

Oh well, I still need to finish Elden Ring with my second character anyway.

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

im hoping someone can help me.

Just started the game and im trying to recruit demons. However when i recruit slimes they don't show up in my stock or anywhere. Its like i don't have them at all.

Is this a bug? Or can you only have 1 kind of demon? i have 1 slime in my party but that's it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
im hoping someone can help me.

Just started the game and im trying to recruit demons. However when i recruit slimes they don't show up in my stock or anywhere. Its like i don't have them at all.

Is this a bug? Or can you only have 1 kind of demon? i have 1 slime in my party but that's it.
You can only have one type of demon, you can’t have multiple of same demon.

Arsic

This game so far shits all over Nocturne and P3R.

Loving this.

Last edited:

Coconutt

My first world problem is that I want to start playing this now but hesitant because I know I will drop it when Shadow of the Erdtree comes out and who knows when I will return.
Ron Burgundy Regret GIF

Bojji

PS5 version looks excellent. 60FPS and high resolution.

I started vengeance path, from what I have read it's better even for newcomers (better overall first impressions). I'm no sure it's the right decision but here we go!

Kinda wish I skipped the switch version now, playing it on PS5 everything is wayy smoother. The resolution bump is nice but uhh, now I can very clearly see how low quality the environments are.
I know people joke about certain games looking like PS3 games, but this one in fact does look like a PS3 game. Obviously I don't play these games for the "graphics" but I do come for the gameplay, setting and aesthetics that define this series. I get it's suppose to be more like Nocturne, but ehhh it really is nothing like that. It lacks that atmospehere and that Kaneko touch. And what the fuck is going on with the music, it's a severe downgrade from SMT IV. I doubt even this new Vengeance path will do much to really change my main criticisms with SMTV in general, but at least I can now replay this without the issues of it being on trash hardware. Now I can easily get to the late/end game battles, which are really the most redeeming parts of this installment.

Deerock71

After playing Persona 4 on the Switch...it might be difficult to go back to the grim dark SMTs, but I'll give it a go.

TheMan

Pretty similar I would say. SMT is probably not the best series if you are looking for a meaty story and lively areas

Thanks guys. I wish there was a middle ground here. Persona has too much social stuff but SMt is too sparse

Arsic

I went with creation my first playthrough, and I’m concerned about two things for completing this game:

-The desert is all there is for environments to look at. If this is it… major fuck up. They needed more variety even if it’s just tunnels and buildings.

-The story is told at a snails pace or is nonexistent and will just be lore dumped onto me in the very end.

—-

The gameplay is great, but it won’t hold me to a 100+ hour finish line if there’s not much else here.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
-The desert is all there is for environments to look at. If this is it… major fuck up. They needed more variety even if it’s just tunnels and buildings.
Game's mostly different flavors of desert, but there's some variation to it and even a dungeon here or there.

-The story is told at a snails pace or is nonexistent and will just be lore dumped onto me in the very end.
Yeah they drank to much of Nocturne and it ended having even less story than that one. Hope you enjoy the gameplay tho, for me it's ace and the main reason to play the game.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I've enjoyed what I've played from the Canon of Vengeance storyline and love that all the main demon/angel characters so far have had badass entrances. 😏

Yeah, I know you can find these exact scenes I've captured in the creation route as well, but that's beside the point.

6VgKePm.gif

MwwVyM3.gif

HisMZ9U.gif

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I guess it tells I've been addicted to this game (almost 20h into my playthrough) since I can't stop making so many goddamn gifs from it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway, I'm done for today so enjoy. :p

mYRGwfY.gif

XkrcBD3.gif

Bonus Sahori reaction gif :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Jg8ko64.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom