• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

gunstarhero

I’ve been doing the whole death/menorah side quest - and just nabbed the last(?) rider - Pale Rider.

But now what?

Did i miss what to do next? Do I need to add all the riders to my collection or something? Or does something just happen and i shouldn’t worry about it.

I just beat the 4 Quadistu - and need to
Stop whomever is controlling Tiamat
so i imagine I’m near the end game.

Last edited:

Gandih42

I’ve been doing the whole death/menorah side quest - and just nabbed the last(?) rider - Pale Rider.

But now what?

Did i miss what to do next? Do I need to add all the riders to my collection or something? Or does something just happen and i shouldn’t worry about it.

You have a few more fiends to go but I don't think it does anything to show you the next location. If you go to your quest log I think you can hit a button for it to show you where it is.

Last edited:

Natsuko

But now what?

Have you tried talking to Sophia yet? I think you have to go to her first after the riders, then the quest continues.

And yes, you're already close to the end.

gunstarhero

Have you tried talking to Sophia yet? I think you have to go to her first after the riders, then the quest continues.

And yes, you're already close to the end.

I did - and all I recall her saying is basically 'wait and see' - nothing helpful iirc. Good to know about the endgame - thanks!

I'll check the quest log - thanks Gandih42 Gandih42

gunstarhero

Hmmm - i guess I’m a little early.

When i go to the quest log to look up the location, i see a marker in the middle of a blank map - so im assuming i haven’t been there yet?

Which is strange since i thought i was close to the end of the game.

The quest does recommend a level of 64, and i’m only 57 - so i guess it’s off to Shakan I go!

I’m guessing the next location is near the Bethel Egypt branch, but i can’t explore that area just yet (something about a powerful demon yadda yadda yadda)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The quest does recommend a level of 64, and i’m only 57 - so i guess it’s off to Shakan I go!
You can still do side quest even if you are little under level. I did level 78 quest while I was only at level 60.

In Vengeance your resistance and party composition matters more than your overall level.

The game saying you're at 90% completion of Canon of Vengeance when you arrive in Taito is a bald-faced lie because I was like level 56 when I got there and the next story quests are level 73 LMAO

I've been doing side quests this whole time to catch my level up as an experiment to see if SMTV:V can be cleared without grinding random mobs in the world, the only times I've actually attacked a demon is when I want to talk to them to recruit them. So far it's not going as badly as I would have thought, I've managed to reach level 68 without using Gospels just by doing side quests and while I'm consistently around 2-3 levels below the recommended level it's not been a slog on Normal difficulty

I am rather tired of this though and would really like to finish my first clear of the CoV soon, especially considering I still have the whole Canon of Creation to clear through plus I have to clear CoV twice in order to see both endings, unlike CoC where I can just save before the big decision near the end and pick what ending I want out of the 4 that route has

I get that they only make 1 mainline SMT title a decade but the amount of content in SMTV:V is fucking staggering if you want to see all the endings wew

Last edited:

Natsuko

The game saying you're at 90% completion of Canon of Vengeance when you arrive in Taito is a bald-faced lie because I was like level 56 when I got there and the next story quests are level 73 LMAO

I've been doing side quests this whole time to catch my level up as an experiment to see if SMTV:V can be cleared without grinding random mobs in the world, the only times I've actually attacked a demon is when I want to talk to them to recruit them. So far it's not going as badly as I would have thought, I've managed to reach level 68 without using Gospels just by doing side quests and while I'm consistently around 2-3 levels below the recommended level it's not been a slog on Normal difficulty

I am rather tired of this though and would really like to finish my first clear of the CoV soon, especially considering I still have the whole Canon of Creation to clear through plus I have to clear CoV twice in order to see both endings, unlike CoC where I can just save before the big decision near the end and pick what ending I want out of the 4 that route has

I get that they only make 1 mainline SMT title a decade but the amount of content in SMTV:V is fucking staggering if you want to see all the endings wew

From the second cycle onwards, things go much faster. The first cycle takes the longest if you take everything you can. I'm currently nearing the end of the second cycle and was a lot faster. Grind for the superbosses if necessary, if not already done in the first cycle. Everything else goes quickly. Especially if you skip familiar scenes and don't read all the sidequest texts.

Paltheos

I finished this morning. 100% completion after finishing all the virtual trainer battles. I feel in the mood to share my final team and other thoughts.

1) Kei Amemura (Nahobino)
Essence: Demifiend (Null all except Almighty)
Innate: Magatsuhi Spring
Paraselene Blur
(Light/Strength)
Fierce Roar (Support)
Luminescent Mirage (Support)
Impaler's Animus (Support)
Lunation Flux (Heal)
Elusive Eclipse (Passive)
Intercalation (Passive)
High Light Pleroma (Passive)

I ran physical build through most of NG and Murakumo almighty build with Mother Harlot essence + Drain Force for resistances through much of the NG+s and Godborn mode. Those are boring, comparatively. This is the evade tank build, and it's much more fun to play.

Fierce Roar to draw aggro for the next few turns and Luminescent Mirage to guarantee a dodge next turn is turn 1 with Naho, and things play out differently depending on enemy resistances and how often I crit. Paraselene Blur is the strongest physical attacking move in the game(?) but with the obvious drawbacks of being usable only during a turn after he dodges an attack and being light-elemental, meaning a chunk of endgame enemies naturally resist or null it. After playing it for a couple days, I think those shortcomings don't detract from how fun or generally effective the build is. Intercalation is a dumb passive, you see, that gives you an extra half press turn on the next turn every time Naho dodges. 4.5 press turns lets me squeeze in 3 turns for protag-kun, which is enough to do everything I need usually. If need be, I can Impaler's Animus to get around resistances and boost damage, Paraselene Blur, and then get up Luminescent Mirage again for the next turn.

Lunation Flux is a great move and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The MP restore is pathetic - 2.5% of your max (although hey it's something for sustain). The real benefit is that it lets you pass a press turn for free. Sometimes I'll have a full press turn available but all my setup done already when Naho gets his turn and Luna Flux lets me pass twice to Agrat again in the third slot to attack again. Cool beans.

I think if I played a bit more, I'd swap out Elusive Eclipse. An extra hit is nice but I can't say I really noticed the 'slight evasion boost'. I think the slot would be better served with Enduring Soul for general survivability or Light Pleroma for that extra damage boost.

Last comments is that this set is cool beyond the gimmick of interplaying all these moves together. The aggro draw on Fierce Roar is real and cool.

2) Naamah (Qadistu)
Innate: Qadistu Deception
Capitulate to Pleasure
(Ailment)
Slumber Vortex (Ailment)
Donum Magici (Support)
Debilitate (Support)
Enduring Soul (Passive)
Abyssal Mask (Passive)
Boon Boost EX (Passive)
Drain Phys (Passive)

Offensive support. General strat is to Debilitate down to minimum and then support Agrat with Donum Magici boosts for Queen's Decree. Capitualate to Pleasure and Slumber Vortex are hail mary buttons if I think Debilitate won't cut it next turn and I need to gamble on disabling the enemy team (Demifiend, this is for Demifiend). Maybe I would have experimented with Makajamaon over Slumber Vortex because NG with Black Rider taught me how dumb good Seal status is.

Enduring Soul and Abyssal Mask for general survivability. Drain Phys patches her only weakness. Boon Boost EX keeps her off Debil duty as much possible so she can keep pumping Donum Magicis.

Unlike Elusive Eclipse, I want to say I noticed Qadistu Deception's evasion boost for Naamah and Agrat more but I could be making this up. Naamah's the easiest to slot out in this team as that passive's really the only practical reason I'm using her. Thumbing through the Compendium now, Mephisto's probably the objectively better choice for this slot - a demon with good resistances, +affinities to ailment and support (surprisingly uncommon), and a strong(er) innate ability in damage boosts to ailmented enemies, buuuuut Mephisto's not a cute demon prostitute so he loses the slot. Also I don't know how effective Stagnant Air is in practice but I've heard pretty good.

3) Agrat (Qadistu)
Innate: Qadistu Artifice
Queen's Decree
(Almighty/Magical)
Enduring Soul (Passive)
High Restore (Passive)
Critical Zealot (Passive)
Murderous Glee (Passive)
Drain Elec (Passive)
Almighty Pleroma (Passive)
High Almighty Pleroma (Passive)

Damage. The only move her highness needs is Queen's Decree. With 12 hits to the move, I'd usually get at least one crit, which is all I need to keep the ball rolling. Even during my Godborn playthrough too, I'd usually get it.

Everything else is a passive for support. Her innate, of course, enables crits on all attacks for Qadistu allies (crit magical almighty is cool). Critical Zealot and Murderous Glee boost crit rate and damage and Almighty Pleromas boost general damage. High Restore meant she never ran into mana problems. Drain Elec covers her only weakness. The last slot was a fight between Enduring Soul and Abyssal Mask. I ultimately went with the rez, although this was a real choice. Even after boosting her luck stat for more crits she also still gets hit with status moves more often than the rest of my team. Rez is too good though.

4) Yukiko Amagi Konohana Sakuya (Kunitsu)
Innate: Oath of Plenteousness
Sakuya Sakura
(Heal)
Bowl of Hygieia (Support)
Enduring Soul (Passive)
Abyssal Mask (Passsive)
Drain Phys (Passive)
Repel Elec (Passive)
Heal Pleroma (Passive)
High Heal Pleroma (Passive)

Best defensive support in the game, obvs. Sakuya Sakura casts Luster Candy+effective Media/Mediarama strength HP heals+light MP heals too on the whole team and is dumb as hell. Her innate boosts both HP/MP heals after the Luster Candy effect. Bowl of Hygieia lets her overheal on the occasional turn where she or the rest of the team have literally nothing else to do or if I really do need the extra HP for something.

Passives are mostly straightforward. Enduring Soul/Abyssal Mask survivability, Heal Pleromas for even more HPs, Repel Elec for her only weakness, and Drain Phys because she has literally nothing else she needs to do or have covered and that's the best all-purpose defensive passive I could think of. I specifically ruled out Boon Boost EX, if it's not already obvious, because buff duration is not an issue because of how often she heals.

The only kink I never hammered out with her is sometimes her turn would come up with a half press turn remaining on the bar and I'd have nothing to do but toss a Chakra Elixir or Bowl of Hygieia I guess but I'm usually winning hard already if that's a problem I'm having.

===

Top 5 tracks in the OST

1) Demon Haunt II: I am a sucker for sentimental piano and chorus music and this hits the mark for me. Also like the electronic flourishes a lot. This track is so much better than Demon Haunt I, which sounds like bland elevator music, it's not even funny.
2) Battle -Abdiel-: The guitar sounds so Meguro, in a good way. I also love the piano and reverb sections. I also realized this is the only vanilla SMT5 track in my top 5, and it totally deserves it.
3) Battle -the adversary-: Favorite parts are of the techno riffing around 1:17 and then the long, heavy percussion that starts 100 seconds in. So fitting for how desperate the Satan battle is.
4) Shakan: Best dungeon track in the game. A guitar that's winding down and the heavy choruses very clearly spell this out as an old and holy place, and the generally slow pace of the song fits how you have to pace yourself puzzling through the ceiling contraptions. The piano and other sections mix the track up well and keep it fresh.
5) Battle -Vengeance for reclamation-: Best normal battle theme in the game by a mile. Like many good normal battle tracks across all games, this one understands coming out the gate swinging is one of the better strats because the player won't often get far into it. So just throw out fast-hitting techno immediately. Not that the guitar and chorus aren't good too, mind you.

Mixed-negative overall on the OST. 'Not as good as Nocturne'/10. A fair number of nothing or whatever tracks, and I'm really soured by how slow of a start it has and some of the prominent tracks that are bad. Early Da'at is whatever and the standard Canon of Creation battle theme is... awful? I'm a little sore that Demifiend's battle theme was hackjobed too imo.

===

Overall thoughts

Mixed-positive. Technically this is the best SMT has ever been: Mobility on the field, options and builds available, flexibility in the fusion system (so that people like me who love old-style SMT fusing and hated being forced into IV's seemingly backwards system can choose based off the situation - much better now that I can pick!). The game looks great and some of the animations I'll consistently let play out (Paraselene Blur, my beloved). OST's a mixed bag, as I touched on.

Story and presentation are also mixed. Law and Chaos choices often suck and most of them suck here too because there's so little in the way of interesting nuance and/or it's so on the nose (Canon of Vegeance, stop, I get that Tao's an optimist and Yoko's a pessimist, please stop), and some choices are just obviously better (Vengeance Chaos is so dumb I don't even understand the final battle). It's hard to root for Law on Creation-side too when Dazai's just evil now even if the argument itself could have some merit.

Last edited:

Bojji

I reached over 70 without gospels and killed everyone besides last 3 bosses. I HAD to buy this fucking DLC for mitamas to reach lv 99 because I don't have fucking time and patience to grind so much on low exp mobs.

Paltheos

I reached over 70 without gospels and killed everyone besides last 3 bosses. I HAD to buy this fucking DLC for mitamas to reach lv 99 because I don't have fucking time and patience to grind so much on low exp mobs.

This was a piece of criticism I didn't touch on earlier. Endgame resources are tight and I just cheated outright to have the money necessary to perform all the fusions and compendium recalls I wanted. But even during the earlier parts of the game there's not much incentive to fight regular encounters because they give so little in comparison - I really only went after stuff when I needed fusion fodder and money was tight. To keep up with all the demons you can fuse mitama hunting is the best way to go about it. Ofc you don't need to do this - Just fuse what you need and there's no reward for filling your compendium beyond a few mid-high tier route exclusive demons at 75% (the Maria variants in the Empyrean) and a periapt I think for 100%?

Agreed EXP is low for endgame too. I think I used a handful of Gospels, no more than 5, up through the final chapter of NG but after that there was no point in not just Gospelling away on the rest. No hesitation to cheat for Grimoires or Incenses endgame either (within reason - I'm not pumping up to 999 to make the game boring but a better moderation in-game would have been nice).

Next biggest criticism is that the shop inventory doesn't carry over to NG+. Grimoires can't be bought even on Godborn until the Empyrean (aside from also being ludicrously expensive), Balms/Incenses can't be bought if you've completed Godborn and switched back to Reborn on the next NG+ cycle, and all the Essences except Lucifer are likewise reset. Tsukiyomi's especially are baffling. You have no way of reaching them on a Canon of Creation playthrough, and a lot of those abilities are good and exclusive to him.

Wow, FUCK this game's Zeus fight. That motherfucker goes into douchebag mode when you get him to red and spams that douchey Almighty skill every turn and then uses Keraunos on the Nahobino. And he is the biggest bullet sponge boss too just to piss you off as much as possible. I only put up with that shit because Demeter is fucking adorable and also I guess if you have Zeus in your party in NG+ you can get special dialogue lines when you meet Artemis again

Gandih42

This was a piece of criticism I didn't touch on earlier. Endgame resources are tight and I just cheated outright to have the money necessary to perform all the fusions and compendium recalls I wanted. But even during the earlier parts of the game there's not much incentive to fight regular encounters because they give so little in comparison - I really only went after stuff when I needed fusion fodder and money was tight. To keep up with all the demons you can fuse mitama hunting is the best way to go about it. Ofc you don't need to do this - Just fuse what you need and there's no reward for filling your compendium beyond a few mid-high tier route exclusive demons at 75% (the Maria variants in the Empyrean) and a periapt I think for 100%?

Agreed EXP is low for endgame too. I think I used a handful of Gospels, no more than 5, up through the final chapter of NG but after that there was no point in not just Gospelling away on the rest. No hesitation to cheat for Grimoires or Incenses endgame either (within reason - I'm not pumping up to 999 to make the game boring but a better moderation in-game would have been nice).

Next biggest criticism is that the shop inventory doesn't carry over to NG+. Grimoires can't be bought even on Godborn until the Empyrean (aside from also being ludicrously expensive), Balms/Incenses can't be bought if you've completed Godborn and switched back to Reborn on the next NG+ cycle, and all the Essences except Lucifer are likewise reset. Tsukiyomi's especially are baffling. You have no way of reaching them on a Canon of Creation playthrough, and a lot of those abilities are good and exclusive to him.
SMT V:V is my first SMT experience, so I definitely don't have the experience you do.

I'm on my first Reborn playthrough and started leveling up past 100. The game seems to HEAVILY discourage any type of grinding, so I never really did much of that. I did however do all quests and use the Demon Navigator a lot and had a really easy time keeping my levels on par with bosses/enemies. I think I had a bigger problem not being overleveled even. I did do some grinding for cash in the final dungeon though to get money for completing more of the compendium with fusions, but since that is very optional I guess I don't mind that too much.

It is interesting how limited resources get at the endgame. I essentially burned everything I had to make builds that could beat the superbosses, If I'd fucked that up I doubt I could have re-build my team without doing a NG+ cycle. In a way I feel it makes your choices more meaningful when spending resources, but also I see how it is a pain in the ass.

Big agree on your criticisms on the carry-over stuff. I feel like unlocked miracles should carry-over too. They could just make the Abcesses give some items if you'd already unlocked them (Grimories, Balms, etc). At the point you're doing NG+ cycles, you should really just have free access to all the stuff unlocked from prior playthroughs.

Paltheos

Big agree on your criticisms on the carry-over stuff. I feel like unlocked miracles should carry-over too. They could just make the Abcesses give some items if you'd already unlocked them (Grimories, Balms, etc). At the point you're doing NG+ cycles, you should really just have free access to all the stuff unlocked from prior playthroughs.

I forgot about that too but yeah that was also a nitpick for me and a bigger problem for anyone who hadn't chased down every blue mitama they could find for more glory (I had only a few elemental affinities and a couple misc. miracles I didn't care about not unlocked at the end of NG).

A little more QA here plus maybe a Tales-style grade shop for picking and choosing what to carry over in NG+ would have been nice.

Oh, and as a point of reference, this is definitely one of the easier (easiest?) SMT games I've played. I've beaten 3 and 4 and played some of Strange Journey. Nothing in this game is too bad until the superbosses at endgame which can kick your teeth in.

And cleared first run with the Canon of Vengeance - Chaos ending. I get to be with Yoko for the rest of eternity, that's even better than I could have hoped LOL

The fight with Mastema was ... interesting. It's the only fight in the game where your goal is actually to not hit his weakness, every other boss can be done as a DPS race but you want to keep DPS under control for his fight and play it as a stall fight so he doesn't get a billion turns and kill your party.

Lucifer was clearly meant to be a victory lap type of fight, but I guess it's nice to see the dude since he amounts to having just a cameo appearance in CoV. Gotta circle around and clear CoC if I want Lucifer to actually do things I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom