• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get gaming PC?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
So I made this post in June of course. Now I'm asking a simplistic question. I'm convinced to go gaming PC, I'm not gonna stick to consoles anymore. But the question is should I buy a gaming PC when I already have so much credit card debt?
no and the new GPUs are coming soon anyway no need to rush

SHA

You want full controller support across the board then stick with consoles, keyboard and mouse for different type of people and Gabe is not God, don't rely on him, he won't grant your wishes.

BlackTron

If you have that much credit card debt DO NOT get a gaming PC. Instead, accrue an even higher amount of charges by purchasing console games day one, so you stay in debt but feel better about it.

StereoVsn

So I made this post in June of course. Now I'm asking a simplistic question. I'm convinced to go gaming PC, I'm not gonna stick to consoles anymore. But the question is should I buy a gaming PC when I already have so much credit card debt?
What, of course not! Improve your financial situation first. I am sure there are a ton of games you haven’t played on what consoles you have that you can get on the cheap in the meanwhile through sales , used, or digital sales.

Don’t get MORE debt to get a new shiny toy. That’s just not a good idea.

BlackTron

Even if you use cash instead of credit cards on the PC. You have spent the opportunity to dump that money on the CCs and are still paying interest on the opportunity cost.

Pay that shit down.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Even if you use cash instead of credit cards on the PC. You have spent the opportunity to dump that money on the CCs and are still paying interest on the opportunity cost.

Pay that shit down.
Yep. Another thing you could do is get a consolidation loan with lower rates vs credit cards and pay that down. But you have to read the fine print and it really depends on OP’s particular circumstances. Also, I am not a financial advisor so take that with a grain of 🧂.

Either way, pay off credit card debt first, always.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As hard as it may be use any means necessary to get out of the CC debt

Give yourself a goal of rewarding yourself with a new toy once the CC debt is gone (just don't go deeper in debt to fund it)

BlackTron

Yep. Another thing you could do is get a consolidation loan with lower rates vs credit cards and pay that down. But you have to read the fine print and it really depends on OP’s particular circumstances. Also, I am not a financial advisor so take that with a grain of 🧂.

Either way, pay off credit card debt first, always.

I hold debt often but only at no interest. If I ever slip up enough that I pay interest on a portion of it for one month I go nuclear. I rotate accounts so that no stacked balances ever become interest-bearing at the same time, so I get some maneuverability and am always able to keep interest away. Of course no interest is better than low but if you can only get low, that's better than 30%.

If you aren't paying interest and have a balanced plan going, make your purchase.

StereoVsn

I hold debt often but only at no interest. If I ever slip up enough that I pay interest on a portion of it for one month I go nuclear. I rotate accounts so that no stacked balances ever become interest-bearing at the same time, so I get some maneuverability and am always able to keep interest away. Of course no interest is better than low but if you can only get low, that's better than 30%.

If you aren't paying interest and have a balanced plan going, make your purchase.
Yep, get rid of high cost debt first and ASAP. And don’t finance it long term on high interest.

There are options like BestBuy’s 0% 12-24 months, affirm 12 months 0%, Amazon, etc.

There is no reason to get into debt because of electronics.

I was gonna say you're an idiot for even asking, but you already know, seeing it's next to your name.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC.
Confused Classic Film GIF by Warner Archive

The only time I touch my keyboard is when I miss it. What you said might be true for Civ 6 and similar strategy games. Just buy wireless mouse and keyboard and have fun.

Toots

Gold Member
Go ahead, debt only matters for the creditor.
Can't wait for next update from jail where you explain that in fact you did not enjoy gaming pc as you thought you would.

SScorpio

There's a very simple answer, and method to get rid of that debt.

Bro. How many times are you gonna go through this same shit? If you have debt then don’t buy it. Don’t be a fucking idiot.

Some of you people need help.

Skifi28

Obviously yes. The more debt you have the better.

Or you could just not ask random people on the internet for what is very important financial decisions.

Crayon

Most stuff mostly works with controller but I do need to keep one of these kbm remotes on the coffee table. No big. It's good for browsing YouTube anyhow.

David B

An Idiot
Most stuff mostly works with controller but I do need to keep one of these kbm remotes on the coffee table. No big. It's good for browsing YouTube anyhow.
Black Ops 2 and Black Ops 3 menus only allow me to use keyboard and mouse. Game can use controller. But menus never does. It totally sucks.

Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.
Most games support a controller and if you want a console like experience you can use the big picture mode in steam. This will give you a full UI were you only need to use the controller and not kb and m. Plus you can plug your PC into your TV so thats also not a issue.

Yeah I guess there's no point. I have a Sony 43 inch TV with 120 Hz and VRR and supports Dolby Vision along with ALLM. I'm not a big gamer anyway, I play Call of Duty about 2 to 4 hours a day. I was going for better frame rate, but 60 to 120 is already good. Well that's a good point than. There is no point as I like the big screen TV more and I don't want to configure all that controller stuff in Steam so that my controller works in menus. Black Ops 1 2 and 3 the controller never works for me in menus. So yeah I'll stick to consoles as keyboard and mouse are just my typing and searching computer things.
If you mainly play just COD I don't think it makes sense to buy a PC. No point in spending more money just to do what you are already doing for less.

PC gaming is expensive and can be a hassle compared to console, no point in making the switch just for COD.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm a PC fanboy and I never had an issue with controller support the last decade or so. But I'm going to echo most others and say you should hold off and focus on getting rid of debt first.

Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.
Don’t waste your money. Gaming sucks, and once you hit 40 you will experience a lot of regret supporting so many companies throughout the last 25 years, only to realize that GAAS has taken over the industry and the titles that mattered in the past, are now watered down nonsense. Say goodbye and drop your money into investments and a future for yourself. Build a family, a career, and drop this craziness while you can.

Toots

Gold Member
From jail? You do realize you can't go to jail over debt right?
I went to wikipedia prior to posting for this exact reason

"In 1970, the Court ruled in Williams v. Illinois that extending a maximum prison term because a person is too poor to pay fines or court costs violates the right to equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment.[45] During 1971 in Tate v. Short, the Court found it unconstitutional to impose a fine as a sentence and then automatically convert it into "a jail term solely because the defendant is indigent and cannot forthwith pay the fine in full."[46] And in the 1983 ruling for Bearden v. Georgia, the Court ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment bars courts from revoking probation for a failure to pay a fine without first inquiring into a person's ability to pay and considering whether there are adequate alternatives to imprisonment.[47]

A year-long study released in 2010 of fifteen states with the highest prison populations[48] by the Brennan Center for Justice, found that all fifteen states sampled have jurisdictions that arrest people for failing to pay debt or appear at debt-related hearings.[38] The study identified four causes that lead to debtors' prison type arrests for debts"

"In 2014, National Public Radio (NPR) reported that there were still cases of judges imprisoning people who have not paid court fees.[58] The American Civil Liberties Union has been challenging such policies since 2009.[59]"

So next time you take a joke seriously and try to nitpick it, please at least be right (since you're no fun :messenger_crying:)

Last edited:

Chu Fye

Neo Member
Just do ittttt

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Steam sales are usually much better than anything PSN has to offer. Also, sites like CD Keys usually allow people to buy new games anywhere between $10-$20 off at launch. PC games in general are cheaper to aquire.

And they pay for online, small detail that adds up quickly in the span of a generation.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Isn’t the norm in America that if you don’t have debt, it’s harder to get credit when you need it?
Dunno, as an european all this seems alien to me, specially the idea of an adult going further down in debt just to buy stuff that isn't house or food.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Dunno, as an european all this seems alien to me, specially the idea of an adult going further down in debt just to buy stuff that isn't house or food.
Don't you buy stuff split in 10x or more on credit card? I am still paying for my quest 2 split in 10.

Before I bought my Steam Deck split in 10x, my RTX 3080 too, etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom