• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Wikipedia page locked after salty fans try to rewrite its critically-acclaimed reception

XXL

Wikipedia has had to lock down the Silent Hill 2 Remake page after repeated vandalism from editors who refuse to accept that the remake of Konami's seminal horror game released to critical acclaim earlier this week.
Outright lies around the games reception and metacritic score - including one edit that said the game had "received the worst reviews imaginable" - means the page has now been put into a semi-protected state to stop unregistered users from making wild, unsubstantiated claims, including one that said Eurogamer had awarded it 0/5 stars when, in fact, it got top marks.
It's unclear what's motivating the edits, although its presumed by some to have been fuelled by the nauseating discourse that the game is "woke" because of changes made to the characters facial features and clothing.

Alternatively, it may stem from some fans' dismayed that Silent Hill 2 has been remade by Bloober Team or, indeed, at all.

GHG

Wtf. This remake is pretty much as faithful as they come.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Doggyred

Neo Member
This game is great and exceeds expectations for me. Do people just want another 1 for 1 copy of the original with better graphics or something?

Last edited:

nial

Eurogamer = lies.

We will see when MC user reviews are available.
Wha?

Working fine 😒

Is this some kind of victimisation type technique? Game not selling or something?

IP4DaPr.png

And the game is selling pretty well on retailers, PSN and Steam, BTW.

Last edited:
We got this in the fake port-begging petitions like "Frustrated Sonyers sign for Starfield on Playstation" and similar cases.

Sure, there can always be a few deranged ones doing this in Wikipedia or Metacritic, but generalizing against "fans" for outrage about Silent Hill 2 is as fake as it gets.

Super fans for this series will never be pleased unless everything remained the same. Upgraded graphics with outdated audio quality. That being said, I really do wonder if the same will happen if they remade the first one or if the insane obsession is only focused on 2 and possible 3 to some extent.

nial nial Thank you for the receipts. It's sometimes tiring when people here immediately jump to blame the party who is reporting the claim in the first place.

The reporter doesn't know the identity of those people, hence calling them "fans" instead of trolls is factually inaccurate which is Eurogamer's trademark.

This is like calling fans to the people who signed the ongoing Genshin's boycott.

Kacho

Gold Member
Super fans for this series will never be pleased unless everything remained the same. Upgraded graphics with outdated audio quality. That being said, I really do wonder if the same will happen if they remade the first one or if the insane obsession is only focused on 2 and possible 3 to some extent.
True but it’s still batshit insane. I’m a mega fanboy of the classic RE games on PS1. I still think they’re superior to the remakes, but didn’t lose my shit over it. I still enjoyed the remakes for what they were.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is this really newsworthy though?

It doesn't take an army of alt-right bogeymen to change a wiki-page! One or two insane "superfans" are enough to do this.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Wikipedia is kind of garbage now. I've caught "slacktivists" changing shit on all kinds of people and things. Now, they're fucking with Internet Archive/Wayback Machine, too.
We can't have anything nice.

The reporter doesn't know the identity of those people, hence calling them "fans" instead of trolls is factually inaccurate which is Eurogamer's trademark.

This is like calling fans to the people who signed the ongoing Genshin's boycott.
Before I answer, could you give me more context for the Genshin boycott? What was it for and who signed it?

True but it’s still batshit insane. I’m a mega fanboy of the classic RE games on PS1. I still think they’re superior to the remakes, but didn’t lose my shit over it. I still enjoyed the remakes for what they were.
u underestimate the obsessive fixation of said fans, its a whole other level. Remember ever since 2 the series has had a focus on stories about loss, trauma, etc. These people that loved the games are very defensive of them

Before I answer, could you give me more context for the Genshin boycott? What was it for and who signed it?

People online, including some VA, signed a petition to boycott it because the last region allegedly featured cultures from the real world and "didn't respect its racial nuances". From there we had all the usual suspects in the media plus some creative trolls faking videos to make it look like Mihoyo stole actual dances for their characters.

Of course, the boycott achieved nothing cos those people weren't fans, the same as the ones yapping about Silent Hill.

Silent Hill is a niche IP with a very hardcore fanbase that won't be moved by minimal changes.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

as the kids say... it's a sus story.

I haven't seen much controversy around the game, sure the odd gaffer has called it woke and I'm sure there are a few online too, but like compare it to concords reception or that other game I've already forgotten with the cancel, i just don't see the same sort of opinion for SH2 besides the character chat here on gaf.

mostly people seem happy with it(outside of gaf i mean), i have my personal criticisms about the horror angle being drained but it nonetheless looks like a game that runs and doesn't seem to be pushing back against it's audience which is usually the catalyst for these sorts of review bomb type things.

so yeah i am curious about what is really going on with the wiki, i just don't feel it's the chuds doing those not a good human things.

Sophist

I haven't seen much controversy around the game

The steam forum is full of outrage threads.

StueyDuck

The steam forum is full of outrage threads.

i see, unusual, by now you'd usually see all those thumbnails on your feed of those you don't sub to like asmon or baby boy or whatever that fat guy is called.

most the time i can gauge the upset by the feed on things like youtube.

nial

as the kids say... it's a sus story.

I haven't seen much controversy around the game, sure the odd gaffer has called it woke and I'm sure there are a few online too, but like compare it to concords reception or that other game I've already forgotten with the cancel, i just don't see the same sort of opinion for SH2 besides the character chat here on gaf.

mostly people seem happy with it(outside of gaf i mean), i have my personal criticisms about the horror angle being drained but it nonetheless looks like a game that runs and doesn't seem to be pushing back against it's audience which is usually the catalyst for these sorts of review bomb type things.

so yeah i am curious about what is really going on with the wiki, i just don't feel it's the chuds doing those not a good human things.
There was definitely an outrage campaign against it, though it went mostly silent (hill) once people started playing and enjoying the game... or that's what I believe. Haven't checked anti-DEI Twitter recently.

People online, including some VA, signed a petition to boycott it because the last region allegedly featured cultures from the real world and "didn't respect its racial nuances". From there we had all the usual suspects in the media plus some creative trolls faking videos to make it look like Mihoyo stole actual dances for their characters.
Thank for you the context.
Of course, the boycott achieved nothing cos those people weren't fans, the same as the ones yapping about Silent Hill.
Quick question about this claim, who else that you know of would be agitated enough to seek to do this on wikipedia?

Silent Hill doesn't delve into cultural or racial nuances like the Genshin boycott you just described, so I just need to figure out which 3rd party would be interested in this level of wiki tampering regarding a remake for a 20 year old cult classic video game.
Silent Hill is a niche IP with a very hardcore fanbase that won't be moved by minimal changes.
Question 2: Are you denying that there has been a high amount of criticism, nitpicking, and angry-posting here and elsewhere from people who put the original in high regard? (I'll avoid using the word 'fan' even though that is a descriptor for what I just described).

Top Bottom