• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Wikipedia page locked after salty fans try to rewrite its critically-acclaimed reception

StueyDuck

There was definitely an outrage campaign against it, though it went mostly silent (hill) once people started playing and enjoying the game... or that's what I believe. Haven't checked anti-DEI Twitter recently.
I didn't see any of that, which I'm happy about then cause that means I've finally got those clowns out of my YT feed, click on one asmon vid in gaf and it's game over. As I've said before, people can criticize, call it woke whatever, I'm all for it.

it's just like those organised campaigns usually blow up into something big and then Kotaku chimes in and blames gamers and so on, it hasn't really gone that route yet. I suspect this one will fizzle out pretty quick, that's my two cents

nial

It's time to embrace humbleness for these people. I know it will never make up for the loss of Silent Hills or Team Silent, but you guys haven't had food THIS good in over two fucking decades. You don't even have to like it, but can we at least appreciate the game for what it is?

Marchizmo

Wouldn't it be cool if you played video games instead of posting about them?

why am i here gerry dee GIF by CBC

Just to be clear its a rip at review bombing, I love posting on forums :)

Last edited:

Monkfish877

If there's any hate for the game it has to be coming from the weebs. A western studio remaking a game from Japan and making a success out of it is akin to blasphemy to these guys, God forbid a non Japanese developer breathes life into a much loved series that is in dire need of a reimagining, these guys need to back off.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I didn't see any of that, which I'm happy about then cause that means I've finally got those clowns out of my YT feed, click on one asmon vid in gaf and it's game over. As I've said before, people can criticize, call it woke whatever, I'm all for it.

it's just like those organised campaigns usually blow up into something big and then Kotaku chimes in and blames gamers and so on, it hasn't really gone that route yet. I suspect this one will fizzle out pretty quick, that's my two cents
I think this is different to the ones you are thinking of. As far as I can tell, this isn't some anti-woke thing (for the most part), but fans thinking this remake was going to suck - hence we had an apologies to Bloober thread here when it got good reviews.
It seems some are so committed to this perception that they can't handle the reality that the remake has been well received and thus are acting out.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I think this is different to the ones you are thinking of. As far as I can tell, this isn't some anti-woke thing (for the most part), but fans thinking this remake was going to suck - hence we had an apologies to Bloober thread here when it gotngoid reviews.
It seems some are so committed to this perception that they can't handle the reality that the remake has been well received and thus are acting out.
To be fair, as a lapsed SH fan who hasn't really enjoyed much since the room, I know the pain of being teased with something good only for it to either be taken away or be straight-up shit. Would i react like these people, of course not haha, but i do empathise with the SH fandom.

Things like getting teased an announcement only for it to be a skateboard.

Mozzarella

lol this is hilarious, a portion of fans of this game are so insufferable sadly.
Looking forward to try the remake, looks atmospheric and good to play.

MDSLKTR

Probably a GAF user.
We had this meltdown here recently
h7MTItD.gif

"There was a work of Art here, it's gone now"
Bloober has no clue about the game, Akihiro Imamura, Hiroyuki Owaka, Masashi Tsuboyama and Takayoshi Sato created this Masterpiece.
5Gp6goD.png

Reviews are meaningless, some people act like their word is fact.
Just a bunch of random dudes playing a game and giving their own opinion LOL
You can wait forever then m8, not gonna play this garbage LOL
Some people are dumb and a meaningless review score by some random dudes changes their mind.
They are incapable of making their own opinion on something.
What do you want from me?

Thank for you the context.

Quick question about this claim, who else that you know of would be agitated enough to seek to do this on wikipedia?

Silent Hill doesn't delve into cultural or racial nuances like the Genshin boycott you just described, so I just need to figure out which 3rd party would be interested in this level of wiki tampering regarding a remake for a 20 year old cult classic video game.

Question 2: Are you denying that there has been a high amount of criticism, nitpicking, and angry-posting here and elsewhere from people who put the original in high regard? (I'll avoid using the word 'fan' even though that is a descriptor for what I just described).

I have the impression that most of the conversation has been made by people who didn't play the original games and have, at best, a mild interest in the remake.

In my case, I liked the original and hated the ugly designs or the choice of Bloober team (based on previous works) but in a rage scale it would score very low. 2/10 max. Since the game has turned out great, there's no point in being upset.

There are people of all sorts, but making a story out of this sounds far-fetched.

HL3.exe

by some to have been fuelled by the nauseating discourse that the game is "woke" because of changes made to the characters facial features and clothing.
Hahaha, what the actual fuck? Those screechers are really losing the plot for quite a while now.

Silent Hill is not some sacred text. It's just devs making a game back in 2001. Pathetic delusional fucks. Be glad Konami is even delivering a good Silent Hill game, at all.

Edit: also the older Silent Hill's where great but their gameplay and game-feel was always straight up ass. At least they fixed that in the remake.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Some of the symbolic and artistic meaning in some scenes is lost and a bunch of them due to facial expressions or voice acting lack impact. Other then that it seems fine. I think Silent Hill fans should enjoy what they are getting here. The alternative would be nothing.

I have the impression that most of the conversation has been made by people who didn't play the original games and have, at best, a mild interest in the remake.
Just to be clear here, you feel that the ones speaking the most about this game are the people with a very mild interest and no attachment to the I.P.?
In my case, I liked the original and hated the ugly designs or the choice of Bloober team (based on previous works) but in a rage scale it would score very low. 2/10 max. Since the game has turned out great, there's no point in being upset.
And you feel that every person who heavily liked the original will react exactly how you did?
There are people of all sorts, but making a story out of this sounds far-fetched.
To be fair this is a story because it literally just happened, with further receipts posted by nial nial . Because of literal proof it is hard for this to be far fetched.

Just to be clear here, you feel that the ones speaking the most about this game are the people with a very mild interest and no attachment to the I.P.?

And you feel that every person who heavily liked the original will react exactly how you did?

To be fair this is a story because it literally just happened, with further receipts posted by nial nial . Because of literal proof it is hard for this to be far fetched.

Speaking negatively, yes. Most YouTubers/grifters who baited people after the bad designs aren't hardcore fans of the original. Nor their viewers, I'd say.

Could the vandalizers be a few angry fans? Maybe. I can't tell for sure. My point is that the overall sentiment about this game is not negative.

I believe this has been magnified, like "Sony is surprised by Ghost of Yotei reaction", when the reveal has 90% likes.

IMO there's more story in Wukong being review-bombed by user bots (more than 700). I haven't seen any media noise about that, I wonder why.

squidilix

Some people right here condemned the game even before it was released and contributed to the "meme joke" to punish this remake and the developers. (And I'm pretty sure many of these people never played the original game... just see a video talking about it)

Quite a bit of hypocrisy since we now know that the remake isn't as horrible as some wanted it to be.

Last edited:
Speaking negatively, yes. Most YouTubers/grifters who baited people after the bad designs aren't hardcore fans of the original. Nor their viewers, I'd say.

I believe this has been magnified, like "Sony is surprised by Ghost of Yotei reaction", when the reveal has 90% likes.

IMO there's more story in Wukong being review-bombed by user bots (more than 700). I haven't seen any media noise about that, I wonder why.
With these comments and your previous ones, it feels like you are trying to find a different party to be responsible for the actions involved, to point the finger away from what is most likely a few angry fans as it is heavily implied.

After everything presented, the most likely answer still remains as this:
Could the vandalizers be a few angry fans? Maybe.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you're trying very hard to point attention away from the biggest possible culprit, even with the evidence and deduction provided. Is it because this is Eurogamer? Is there another reason I'm missing?

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I never paid attention to the wars in Wikipedia until the Middle East shitshow started last year. Anything related to that conflict is constantly being rewrittten on a daily basis to make whoever look bad. It’s gross.

No idea these wars were spreading to games. Alternate realities at full force.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
This game is great and exceeds expectations for me. Do people just want another 1 for 1 copy of the original with better graphics or something?

Yes, the purists are annoying AF. Reminds me of Diablo 2 purists who made the game stagnant. Sure, it's awesome, but it's dead because it didn't have a chance to evolve with the times.

I was definitely skeptical after seeing the 1st trailer. But, after seeing more and more, with the improvements that came with it, I got cautiously optimistic. After playing for a couple of hours, I can definitely say Bloober delivered. There are some changes in environments that I question why they changed it. Like the location of the wood plank weapon, but considering most of the environments, the atmosphere and, more importantly, the story have remained intact, it's not the biggest deal.

I do question if anyone doing this has even played the OG games. Or have they just watched some YouTube vids about them.

ShadowNate

I haven't got it yet, and chances are my PC is more likely to smoothly run the fan made Enhanced Edition with all bells and whistles, than this modern remake, so I am not currently in its target market.

But, I am happy for Bloober team, if things are indeed as presented in the positive and excellent reviews. They did seem to make a significant effort to recreate the world of the original and remain as faithful as possible to it.

Silent Hill 2 (as a genre and as a story with adult themes mixed with horror elements and the occasional (or more frequent) suggestive imagery) does not really have a wide audience that would appreciate it, but maybe the marketing and production values will help with the sales.

I wonder if more people will now realize how misused Pyramid Head is in the sequels (and the movie), to the point that it became a mascot monster entirely disconnected from his origins.

Last edited:
Daaaang that's like Nintendo fanboy levels of absurdity. That's why I take what I read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. Schools won't consider Wiki as a credible source, and neither would I.

HL3.exe

Oopsie. Fans of the original devastated.

Edit: it's like these devs are normal folk who don't treat their own work like some holy scripture. Shocked I say!

Last edited:
Top Bottom