• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What was this patch officially supposed to fix?

I popped it in and I'm getting as much slow down as ever.

I think it was supposed to fix the confusing load/autosave symbol yhing, since Vatra used the same symbol for both things, making players think the game was autosaving when it was actually loading.

mollipen

I'm really curious to see if the PS3 patch is worth anything or not. I played Downpour on the Xbox 360, but my heart really belongs to the PS side of things when it comes to anything Silent Hill. I've not paid enough attention to see how much worse the PS3 version is over the Xbox 360 version, but if post-patch it's good enough, maybe I'll go back to the game that way.

Combichristoffersen

I'm really curious to see if the PS3 patch is worth anything or not. I played Downpour on the Xbox 360, but my heart really belongs to the PS side of things when it comes to anything Silent Hill. I've not paid enough attention to see how much worse the PS3 version is over the Xbox 360 version, but if post-patch it's good enough, maybe I'll go back to the game that way.

Surprisingly enough I don't think vanilla Downpour is particularly much worse than the 360 version. As for the patch, Konami still hasn't officially announced the 360 version going live, much less said anything about a PS3 patch.

mollipen

Surprisingly enough I don't think vanilla Downpour is particularly much worse than the 360 version. As for the patch, Konami still hasn't officially announced the 360 version going live, much less said anything about a PS3 patch.

From my inbox today:

Online Patch Now Available for XBOX 360 Sku of Silent Hill: Downpour
& Silent Hill: Downpour Coming to Games on Demand

Today, Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. announced a patch and product update for Silent Hill: Downpour, the critically acclaimed survival horror title, originally released in March. The online patch, available via XBOX Live, enhances the gameplay experience by improving features and bugs within the game, including, but not limited to:
o Improved frame rate
o Fixed save game system
o Fixed bugs in "Homeless" side quest/mission
o Several other performance enhancements/bug fixes

A PlayStation 3 patch is currently in development and will be released in the coming weeks.

Nice fixes, though I didn't have much of a problem with the game on 360 in the first place. Was entertained enough to get 1000 Achievement pts. The "Homeless" quest referenced as fixed in the patch did indeed annoy me with
leaving a couple shortcuts locked
when it shouldn't have, but it really wasn't that bad getting around without them.

mollipen

So they send out a mail two days after the patch goes live, but no mention on their website, their Facebook page, their blog or their Twitter. Good job, Konami.

If it makes you feel better, they first sent out an email about Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 getting a patch, and the cancellation of the Xbox 360 patch. Yes, as in the email they sent out on August 8th.

Then, about an hour later, they sent out the right email.

Concept17

Played through the PS3 version a couple months ago. Aside from a couple moments, the game was completely playable. Really enjoyed it.

Combichristoffersen

If it makes you feel better, they first sent out an email about Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 getting a patch, and the cancellation of the Xbox 360 patch. Yes, as in the email they sent out on August 8th.

Then, about an hour later, they sent out the right email.

Konami :lol

Eurocult

I had to put the PS3 version on hold once I heard about the patch coming. I'm not really annoyed by frame rates, but it was pretty bad. Probably going to start over when the patch drops.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I talked about this elsewhere when this game got brought up in another topic, but I still stand on the side of the fence that loved this game. As time has gone on since I played it last March I have grown more fonder of it, though also some of its flaws have also become more apparent. I felt just like quoting that here.

I was thinking actually the other day about games I have played this year, and my mind sort of got transfixed on Downpour. It is, critically, the lowest reviewed Silent Hill game to date. I don't think it deserved that fate at all though, I feel it was more of a victim to circumstance and current feelings towards the franchise than it was a terrible game. Not saying it was a really good game either, though. As I like to say, Downpour was both the best and worst Silent Hill game to come out since Silent Hill games went third-party.

What I really liked about Downpour was its world. I enjoyed it most when it built up its world, let players explore and partake in one of the many side-quest that are available to partake in the town. I can legitimately say it was a joy to explore the town and uncover weird areas and missions, some of which you transition into without realizing it. I loved the attention to detail and the strange atmosphere the town gave. It really gave me a feel that SH was a real town, and it was interesting to explore areas of the town. I also really enjoyed the puzzles (some were actually fairly challenging), and I felt the game was littered with cool moments, and even moments I can say I got legitimately unnerved at.

But then it's weaknesses come in. The game had technical problems, the enemies just weren't interesting, the Otherworld segments feel more like roller coaster rides and feel like such a missed opportunity to take advantage of the world they build up, and I agree the end prison area is probably the weakest part of the game. And above all else, it just doesn't feel like a Silent Hill game, it felt like a modern take on an old-school horror game. Had it not been for a few references and the title, if they had called it something else, I would have never guessed outside of fog use that it was a Silent Hill game. And while I actually liked Murphy as a character, the story in Downpour was pretty weak. Not Homecoming weak, but still rather flat.

But despite all of this I can only recall Downpour fondly, and even replaying it a couple months ago I had a good time with it. I legitimately liked the slower, more environment-building area of the mines. I was intrigued by the puzzles and almost labyrinth layout of the library. And the Monastery was a joy for me, almost feeling like something taken out of a European horror movie. All of this was wrapped in what I found to be an enjoyable overworld I had fun exploring with some legitimately varied and interesting quests... But for all it did right, it also did wrong, and unfortunately will probably be passed off by most as 'another shitty Silent Hill game.'

I agree with the above, except I actually thought the story was very good and the polar opposite of weak. It had a few surprises that actually impressed me and I found that the actual reason why Murphy was in Silent Hill was great. It wasn't necessarily executed with gravitas like say the ending of Shattered Memories, but I thought the idea was excellent and it fit in perfectly with the overall story.

Anyway, seeing the new film tonight makes me appreciate Downpour even more which is why I came strolling back into this OT just now. On the way home from the theater my girlfriend was talking about how bad the movie was and how pretty much everything she's seen from the franchise has made her not really realize why I'm such a huge fan-- but all she's seen are the two films and bits and pieces of Homecoming and Downpour.

But, I understand where she's coming from. I like Downpour a lot, but it doesn't really represent why I'm so fond of the series. I think it's an excellent horror title and one of the better games I've played this year-- it's disgustingly superior to Resident Evil 6-- but after much contemplation and after seeing the new film which was a load of hot horse shit, I think I'm finally back to being incredibly picky about my Silent Hill.

I expect really, really good things from the franchise this coming generation and I hope to god that the next game releases on PC. Another technical disappointment along the lines of Downpour would not be cool with me. Great game creatively, but not so much technically. I like it tons but I'm ready to get another installment along the lines of the first three games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So are there any impressions from the patched 360 version ? does the frame rate have a genuine improvement or is it just more PR face saving ?

Beat the game like 6 months ago but still curious about the patch. Anyone still have their copy of the game?

I have my copy still but haven't popped it in. As for Dusk Golems thought, I agree with the above for the most part. I think I love it so much cause it is really the closet thing to a survival horror experence of the earlier years. The set up, the levels, the story (which I really liked), my biggest pet peeve was indeed the enemy designs. It didn't try to turn into some action game. BRAVO!

Ahhh I wish we got more games like these!

So are there any impressions from the patched 360 version ? does the frame rate have a genuine improvement or is it just more PR face saving ?

running around outside that hitching every block or so has gone so yeah, the framerate has improved, but only with regards to that. im very glad they were able to fix that problem though because it was really annoying. I stopped playing waiting for the patch and i'm glad I did.

The only thing I've noticed about the post-patch changes on PS3 is the game data icon. It went from the regular Downpour logo to the shittacular Shattered Memories font and it just looks awful. I'm sure most people would never notice, but I thought it was pretty funny.

The only thing I've noticed about the post-patch changes on PS3 is the game data icon. It went from the regular Downpour logo to the shittacular Shattered Memories font and it just looks awful. I'm sure most people would never notice, but I thought it was pretty funny.

lol that's it?

oh well good thing the patch is out, time to get this game finally i guess. even if the patch does nothing i can at least tell myself it must have been much worse before and i was wise to wait it out lol.

Cudder

Looking back, I feel I was maybe a bit too harsh on the game while I was playing it. I was just focused so hard on the fact that the story wasn't as good as 1-4 that I kind of dismissed the game. (I also didn't like the Otherworld in this game, that fact stands, but still).

I'm replaying SH3 from the HD collection right now and I'm thinking back to Downpour and how it played and the environments you went in and all that, and the mechanics are pretty similar to the original trilogy of games. The exploration is there, the trying every door visible on your map until you open one is there, the music is there (for the most part). I definitely feel like replaying Downpour.

Like I said before, after watching my friend play through a bit of RE6 and seeing just how far, disjointed, and disconnected that game is (gameplay) from the original RE titles, makes me so happy that we got a product like Downpour this late in Silent Hill's life. I hope the next console iteration follows suit.

Oyashiro

I was really excited when I got this game in the mail a few days ago. Was looking forward to playing a new SH game. Damn, what a letdown.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I played it up until you meet the second enemy, the giant thing that crawls on the ceiling. Then I ragequit because I cannot for the life of me beat this guy.

Overall...

-Game runs fucking awful on PS3. Framerate is embarrassing, screen tearing, etc. And yes, this is post-patch.
-It doesn't feel like a SH game at all. It reminds me of a cheap knockoff of Alan Wake. Nothing so far has made me think "Yeah, this is Silent Hill alright."
-Combat is godawful. I didn't think it was possible to fuck up beyond what Homecoming did, but this game makes Homecoming's combat look like a masterpiece.
-No Akira Yamaoka. So far, I haven't really heard any noticeably good music.
-Awful enemy design.
-Where's the story...?
-The water-based otherworld is shit.

I dunno, maybe I just didnt give it enough of a chance. Im gonna attempt to try it again later today.

Combichristoffersen

I was really excited when I got this game in the mail a few days ago. Was looking forward to playing a new SH game. Damn, what a letdown.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I played it up until you meet the second enemy, the giant thing that crawls on the ceiling. Then I ragequit because I cannot for the life of me beat this guy.

Overall...

-Game runs fucking awful on PS3. Framerate is embarrassing, screen tearing, etc. And yes, this is post-patch.
-It doesn't feel like a SH game at all. It reminds me of a cheap knockoff of Alan Wake. Nothing so far has made me think "Yeah, this is Silent Hill alright."
-Combat is godawful. I didn't think it was possible to fuck up beyond what Homecoming did, but this game makes Homecoming's combat look like a masterpiece.
-No Akira Yamaoka. So far, I haven't really heard any noticeably good music.
-Awful enemy design.
-Where's the story...?
-The water-based otherworld is shit.

I dunno, maybe I just didnt give it enough of a chance. Im gonna attempt to try it again later today.

The crying bats (the ceiling-crawling enemy) is a pain in the ass, so just run away from it if you can. Anyway, I'd recommend you to stick with it. Yeah, the framerate is terribad and the enemy design is pretty lackluster, but otherwise I personally think it's the best Silent Hill since SH3, alongside 0rigins.

IMO it nails the creepy atmosphere, and the combat is much closer to the clunky-but-functional combat of SH1-3 than the shit they pulled in Homecoming. As for the music, YMMV on that, but personally I think it's better than anything Yamaoka has done after SH4.

Oyashiro

The crying bats (the ceiling-crawling enemy) is a pain in the ass, so just run away from it if you can. Anyway, I'd recommend you to stick with it. Yeah, the framerate is terribad and the enemy design is pretty lackluster, but otherwise I personally think it's the best Silent Hill since SH3, alongside 0rigins.

IMO it nails the creepy atmosphere, and the combat is much closer to the clunky-but-functional combat of SH1-3 than the shit they pulled in Homecoming. As for the music, YMMV on that, but personally I think it's better than anything Yamaoka has done after SH4.

You think this is the best SH post SH3? How do you feel about Shattered Memories?

Combichristoffersen

You think this is the best SH post SH3? How do you feel about Shattered Memories?

I liked the story in SM, and the psych profile mechanic was interesting, but otherwise I just found it to be an empty, boring game. It's probably the second worst of the mainline games IMO, only beaten by Homecoming (which was a truly awful game).

FWIW I'm playing this too Oyashiro but I'm enjoying it despite the jank and B-tier production value. Maybe because I went in with low expectations. I actually like the character too.

I am playing on easy though so that may have something to do with it. I just want to see the story, I didn't want to hit any roadblocks.

Have you looked to see if you change it mid game?

Those pale bat things aren't even a problem on easy, unless maybe you run into a couple of them.

Oyashiro

Okay guys, gave this another shot and yeah... definitely not as bad as initial impressions. The combat is still awful, but I've definitely gotten a LOT better. Also, there's no way change the difficulty of the game after you've started, but one thing that really helped me is using the locker code to get a rifle. May seem kinda like cheating, but it definitely has come in handy in certain situations.

The story is still kinda eh to me... sidequests are a pretty cool addition. They've definitely done a good job with the atmosphere, though. Still doesn't really feel like Silent Hill to me, but I can't deny that they've done a great job. There was one part in particular that I thought was really cool... I was walking around the town, and it started raining. Soon enough, lighting started coming down, and enemies popped up. It created a really awesome atmosphere, lots of tension.

Currently at
the Monastery
, if I had to give the game a rating right now I'd probably give it like a 6.5, maybe 7. Better than Homecoming in most aspects, but not all. A step in the right direction, but they've got a LONG way to go before we reach the greatness of the previous games.

Combat is terrible in all of Tomm Hulett's Silent Hill games. He has a never-ending erection for infuriating, unavoidable combat. Never play Downpour on anything above Easy.

Mature

Combat is terrible in all of Tomm Hulett's Silent Hill games. He has a never-ending erection for infuriating, unavoidable combat. Never play Downpour on anything above Easy.
Not sure about everyone else, but I probably avoided more fights in Downpour than not.

Combichristoffersen

I don't think the combat was particularly much worse than the old games.

Homecoming is the only SH game with unforgivably terrible combat, but then again it was lolDoubleHelix.

pa22word

I must be the only person in the world to dig the combat in this game =(

I think people having issues should throw shit more. Seriously. Instant stun all enemies and there's really never not anything around to throw. Chairs are devastating in this game when thrown, and can kill the basic guys in a single throw if you've connected another hit.

Also I don't get the hate for Homecoming's combat at all. I really enjoyed it, tbqh. Everything felt really weighty and hits were devastating upon impact. Very satisfying imo. Which probably isn't the best of things for a survival horror game when the combat is satisfying, but eh.

Cudder

Inner art for the Japanese release has been released. Damn this is hot shit, I love this art. If only the game captured the feel of it.

154666_383432375073297_169852002_n.jpg

430837_383825588367309_5769298_n.jpg

Lime

I got this on a sale some weeks back and finally had the time to finish it. Overall, I find it to be the least terrible Western iteration of the series, as Downpour occasionally shows small signs of brilliance, such as the level design and puzzle offerings. My expectations were very low, as I frankly thought the series could do no worse than the complete garbage that Homecoming was.

Positives
  • The biggest positive of the whole game is the work done by the environment artists and designers. The attention to detail and complexity in each level made a very big impression on me, so the level design is simply Downpour's biggest strength by far, as the story levels, overall world level, and smaller single rooms feel expansive and very detailed. Moreover, the designers managed to incorporate the design of the levels into interesting subversive experiences, such as the infinite staircase, the constant expansions of rooms and hallways, and intelligent uses of backtracking.
  • Combat was both non-intrusive and also didn't feel as bothersome as some of the earlier games.
  • Some of the puzzles were memorable and unique. The Gretel and Hansel or the Cinemá Véritié puzzle provided interesting attempts at setting the tone and atmosphere of their respective levels, while I consider the best one to definitely be the one in Turning Back Time.
  • From a technical standpoint the game is obviously too ambitious for its own good, as the framerate is simply not acceptable. However, the use of the weather cycle and loading of levels are at the very least admirable, despite the lackluster execution.
  • Balanced use of fixed camera positions and the over-the-back we have come to expect from contemporary games. I had sorely missed the fixed camera angles in a high budget game, so their reappearance made me glad.
  • Minimalistic HUD and the in-game damage indicator have set the bar.
  • Novel ideas and ways to transfer the usual Silent Hill tropes into a contemporary game design context.

Negatives
  • I don't know how to express my disappointment with the monster designs. They actually look worse than Baby's First Monster, because all seem incredibly dull and simplistic with garish individual characteristics. They are completely terrible and it disappoints me greatly that they make their negative mark on an otherwise respectable environmental art design. They are this game's biggest flaw.
  • Licht's score was serviceable, but unfortunately it also suffers from being to similar to classic film and TV scores. By this I mean that the use of strings and looping unfortunately makes the ambience sections of the soundtrack not very memorable or individual when standing on their own. The soundtrack lacks the specific unique characteristics of each musical piece, while also trying to rely on cinematic percussion to make an impact on the player (which to me is somewhat of cheap and generic soundtrack tactics). Instead, Licht's work comes across as overproduced and generic.
  • Many, many, many instances of bad and subpar writing. Much of the dialogue is taken from a C-budget horror flick, as if someone wanted to do a parody on horror drama. I mean, you have one character that actually says "We don't get many folks around here these days" or another character falling to his knees and subsequently screaming the name of a lost loved one at the sky
    ("CHAAAAARLIEEEEEE!")
    . Especially the latter made me facepalm through my fucking skull, as I had no idea how anyone could have approved such a terrible scene.
  • The symbolism and discovered plot clues scattered throughout the game are retroactively negated because of the multiple type of endings that alters the reasons and events. Silent Hill 2 did a masterful job at retaining the theme and resonance despite the different endings, as the character actions remained the same, whereas Downpour fail to grasp the crucial importance of narrative consistency. As such, the endings unfortunately seem arbitrary and detached from many invested hours prior to them.
  • The player is unfortunately beaten over the head with the many, many water references. It provides some very cool imagery and use of abstract environment design, but the conveyance of the theme is too "loud", so to speak.
  • Same thing goes for whenever the game tries to address the player. For example, Murphy explicitly says out loud "This didn't happen in the accident" when he encounters a body by the river in the beginning of the game after the bus accident. The storytelling is treating the player as an imbecile and it doesn't try to let the imagery and sounds speak for themselves, but rather stoops to bad forms of storytelling usually relegated to porn narratives.
  • The fanservice simply need to stop or to be less explicit. SH2 and 3 did a respectable job by letting it be non-intrusive as mere hints, whereas Downpour basically screams "HERE'S THIS THING FROM THE EARLIER SILENT HILLS? DO YOU REMEMBER THAT? WASN'T THAT GREAT?"
  • Severe lack of terror or horror.
  • The framerate is inexcusable. Too bad Konami won't commission a PC port. The game would do great during a Steam sale, as it would greatly rival other survival-horror PC titles
  • While the the side-quests and hub-world structure are novel ideas, their arbitrary nature conflict with the emotional gravitas and proper pacing of the main story. They drag the game down and need to be tied much more into the story.

As mentioned, it is an admirable effort done by Vatra and some major development decisions would have made the game even better, if the producers and directors had not signed off on the obvious flaws of the game, such as the terrible monster designs and low quality writing. As it stands, I still think Downpour is the best/"least bad" outsourced Silent Hill and it contains many interesting pointers on how to further develop the series.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got this on a sale some weeks back and finally had the time to finish it. Overall, I find it to be the least terrible Western iteration of the series, as Downpour occasionally shows small signs of brilliance, such as the level design and puzzle offerings. My expectations were very low, as I frankly thought the series could do no worse than the complete garbage that Homecoming was.

Positives
  • The biggest positive of the whole game is the work done by the environment artists and designers. The attention to detail and complexity in each level made a very big impression on me, so the level design is simply Downpour's biggest strength by far, as the story levels, overall world level, and smaller single rooms feel expansive and very detailed. Moreover, the designers managed to incorporate the design of the levels into interesting subversive experiences, such as the infinite staircase, the constant expansions of rooms and hallways, and intelligent uses of backtracking.
  • Combat was both non-intrusive and also didn't feel as bothersome as some of the earlier games.
  • Some of the puzzles were memorable and unique. The Gretel and Hansel or the Cinemá Véritié puzzle provided interesting attempts at setting the tone and atmosphere of their respective levels, while I consider the best one to definitely be the one in Turning Back Time.
  • From a technical standpoint the game is obviously too ambitious for its own good, as the framerate is simply not acceptable. However, the use of the weather cycle and loading of levels are at the very least admirable, despite the lackluster execution.
  • Balanced use of fixed camera positions and the over-the-back we have come to expect from contemporary games. I had sorely missed the fixed camera angles in a high budget game, so their reappearance made me glad.
  • Minimalistic HUD and the in-game damage indicator have set the bar.
  • Novel ideas and ways to transfer the usual Silent Hill tropes into a contemporary game design context.

Negatives
  • I don't know how to express my disappointment with the monster designs. They actually look worse than Baby's First Monster, because all seem incredibly dull and simplistic with garish individual characteristics. They are completely terrible and it disappoints me greatly that they make their negative mark on an otherwise respectable environmental art design. They are this game's biggest flaw.
  • Licht's score was serviceable, but unfortunately it also suffers from being to similar to classic film and TV scores. By this I mean that the use of strings and looping unfortunately makes the ambience sections of the soundtrack not very memorable or individual when standing on their own. The soundtrack lacks the specific unique characteristics of each musical piece, while also trying to rely on cinematic percussion to make an impact on the player (which to me is somewhat of cheap and generic soundtrack tactics). Instead, Licht's work comes across as overproduced and generic.
  • Many, many, many instances of bad and subpar writing. Much of the dialogue is taken from a C-budget horror flick, as if someone wanted to do a parody on horror drama. I mean, you have one character that actually says "We don't get many folks around here these days" or another character falling to his knees and subsequently screaming the name of a lost loved one at the sky
    ("CHAAAAARLIEEEEEE!")
    . Especially the latter made me facepalm through my fucking skull, as I had no idea how anyone could have approved such a terrible scene.
  • The symbolism and discovered plot clues scattered throughout the game are retroactively negated because of the multiple type of endings that alters the reasons and events. Silent Hill 2 did a masterful job at retaining the theme and resonance despite the different endings, as the character actions remained the same, whereas Downpour fail to grasp the crucial importance of narrative consistency. As such, the endings unfortunately seem arbitrary and detached from many invested hours prior to them.
  • The player is unfortunately beaten over the head with the many, many water references. It provides some very cool imagery and use of abstract environment design, but the conveyance of the theme is too "loud", so to speak.
  • Same thing goes for whenever the game tries to address the player. For example, Murphy explicitly says out loud "This didn't happen in the accident" when he encounters a body by the river in the beginning of the game after the bus accident. The storytelling is treating the player as an imbecile and it doesn't try to let the imagery and sounds speak for themselves, but rather stoops to bad forms of storytelling usually relegated to porn narratives.
  • The fanservice simply need to stop or to be less explicit. SH2 and 3 did a respectable job by letting it be non-intrusive as mere hints, whereas Downpour basically screams "HERE'S THIS THING FROM THE EARLIER SILENT HILLS? DO YOU REMEMBER THAT? WASN'T THAT GREAT?"
  • Severe lack of terror or horror.
  • The framerate is inexcusable. Too bad Konami won't commission a PC port. The game would do great during a Steam sale, as it would greatly rival other survival-horror PC titles
  • While the the side-quests and hub-world structure are novel ideas, their arbitrary nature conflict with the emotional gravitas and proper pacing of the main story. They drag the game down and need to be tied much more into the story.

As mentioned, it is an admirable effort done by Vatra and some major development decisions would have made the game even better, if the producers and directors had not signed off on the obvious flaws of the game, such as the terrible monster designs and low quality writing. As it stands, I still think Downpour is the best/"least bad" outsourced Silent Hill and it contains many interesting pointers on how to further develop the series.

good write up, I'm currently playing through SHDP now and while the beginning did put me off once I reached the town that changed, I'm really enjoying it now & think they should have miss the beginning out altogether, monster design is terrible & the otherworld bits are unwanted( they should have kept Homecomings transitions & SH2/3 other world
but other then that it is fairly good & almost on the right track

I think one of the big problems of the recent Silent Hill games, which is reflected in the statement about the beginning of Downpour, is the following: the developers don't get that the town environment itself is scary, simply because it is so monotonous.

You have streets after streets which all look the same except for a few unique buildings or parks or so. No matter whether you turn left or right, there's just more "town" to run into. Combining that with monsters, things that should not be there (like the big barricade walls blocking your way in Silent Hill 2) and a sense of desolation, as well as the fact that we all know what towns look like because many of us live in one, makes us feel uncomfortable. It doesn't feel like we are running from A to B, then B to C (even though you do - especially once you get used how the map works in the games) as in a normal game. Instead, we're trying to navigate the maze of streets and narrow side roads.

The beginning of Downpour, the majority of Homecoming, and most of Silent Hill 4 just seems too similar to a normal video game level and not enough like being in a maze that is actively trying to kill you. Compare that with the town exploration of Downpour, which is not really that scary because of the lacking monster design, but still makes you feel uncomfortable because of the eary sounds, the role the weather plays, and the general otherworldish vibe in such a "normal" looking environment. This is also what made Silent Hill 1 and 2 feel so weird.

This is, I think, what makes the best Silent Hill games work.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree, one of the things that did bother me was the redesigned Silent Hill, SH1,2 & 3 had the same town, SH1 being Old Silent Hill & 2,3 New Silent Hill
Being redone wasn't really needed, Old Silent Hill was visited once and never combined the two and they could have always gone with "the town is growing the stronger it gets" and added to the town
You can have the main character realising "this wasn't here before" which are then added to the map, just like the other world parts
Afterall it is the Town, and one of the things I did like about the film was the different worlds, the real world, the world Silent Hill is presenting to the character & the other world.

Top Bottom